Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I see many were irritated and ticked off by the Late Late's obsession with Covid.

Plenty of tweets speaking about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

The promotion of Pieta House was sickening.

https://www.echo.ie/lucan/article/pieta-house-criticised-over-salaries-of-staff

Pieta has been raking in money, but those who need it are being abandoned. Some of their locations are closing down, across the country... relying on volunteers who've helped out close friends of mine (and some extended family) and yet the organisation is squandering money (and this is pre-covid, not post covid).

The mental health sector is saturated with shysters at the moment, from unqualified "celebs" self promotion to the charities themselves. Again and again we have seen that when essential services are left in the hands of ngo's it leads to abuses.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

The mental health sector is saturated with shysters at the moment, from unqualified "celebs" self promotion to the charities themselves. Again and again we have seen that when essential services are left in the hands of ngo's it leads to abuses.

I may be accused of being incorrect, but this farming out of services is what I describe/have come to learn/know as Neo-liberalism or at least one part of it.
    One part is the excuse to farm out what should be public/state services to private entities, some may be better at managing certain aspects of the problems they cater to, but many may not. It seems like an excuse to pay directors of these organisations a hefty salary, of unknown qualification, while hard working volunteers or staff get get nothing or very poor recompense.
    I see no reason why many charities which seem to overlap could not fall under one umbrella and be subsumed into either an organisation that at least has oversight of a professional body, to protect those working at the lower end of the scale, to ensure it is effective at what it does and not filled with charlatans or unqualified individuals, they should certain performance indicators, although the HSE itself could do with an organisational review, many staff are actual professionals, and necessary, Id say there is just a historic organisational record of not managing resources in of itself.
    The names of all charities should be on a state (possibly HSE) accessible list online, with their charity ID/code thats often flouted, what the limits and remit of their charity, a measure of their effectiveness (ie do they actually meet key indicators and what they are), what CEO's get paid.

I support 2 charities, with small monthly amounts, but I really need to review both.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Who the hell produces the Late LATE and allowed that supposedly "light entertainment" show to see the light of day with one misery story after another...dont we get enough of it with the news/prime time/Claire Byrne ....It comes off as a show dedicated to getting Joe Duffy aroused

Welcome to the Late Late Show. Tonight I'll be talking to finance minister Paschal Donohoe ahead of next weeks budget, our musical guest is Kodaline playing from their new album. Then i'll be speaking to Maura who tragically lost her entire family in a house fire before Russel Crowe drops in to talk about his latest film. All that and more, don't go away!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭StevenToast

The late late show needs to go...wheel out tubridy for the toy show once a year...

A 10k appearance fee...

Represents 490k saving...

Youre welcome Dee..

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

1874 wrote: »
    Could you elaborate, they arent within the remit of RTE?

As part of budget 2021 The NSO was moved to the NCH. 8m in additional funding was given to the NCH for this move.

This followed on from an "independent" report commissioned by RTÉ which advised of different options for the orchestras.

No change
    Close either of them
    Move NSO to NCH with RTÉ involvement
    And a few others

However it did not suggest no involvement from RTÉ on the move, which has happened.

I assume the move will cost much more than assumed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,584 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

The promotion of Pieta House was sickening.

https://www.echo.ie/lucan/article/pieta-house-criticised-over-salaries-of-staff

Pieta has been raking in money, but those who need it are being abandoned. Some of their locations are closing down, across the country... relying on volunteers who've helped out close friends of mine (and some extended family) and yet the organisation is squandering money (and this is pre-covid, not post covid).

It's alright, Jebus is minding the accounts for them :rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/newsworthy_ie/status/1036994445118464000

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭political analyst

It's worse that there's few if any options right now, because folks are being hit in the pocket. And they can't go out.

So it's just 'stay home, watch tv'... tune into the most depressing thing on TV outside of a repeat of Schindler's List.

At least that would have educational value.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,816 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's alright, Jebus is minding the accounts for them :rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/newsworthy_ie/status/1036994445118464000

An absolute shyster but she and some voters thought she was qualified to be President!

The whole charity industry in Ireland is rotten to the core and infested with religious nutcases in a position to take advantage of vulnerable people.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Elmo wrote: »
    NSO has moved to NCH, with €8m going to it from budget 2021.

We're still paying for it.

Why is one specific type of music subsidised by the taxpayer? Let's face it it only appeals to a tiny minority of people and is completely elitist.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

Why is one specific type of music subsidised by the taxpayer? Let's face it it only appeals to a tiny minority of people and is completely elitist.

NSO and NCO have a wider remit as cultural organisations, I think RTÉ have rarely used them properly. Even that "independent" reported pointed out how little they were used on TV and even Radio with I think a weekly show on Lyric and the "independent" report even put the 4 times the NCO was on TV over a 2 year period, rather then just saying 2 times in the last year.

During COVID they've been used more on TV but not much.

Classical music is an important aspect of culture and music culture. However the cost of both should be under review, it seems to me the Government has given the NSO an extra 2m in funding in 2021 and that the 15m that they were given by RTÉ from the license fee should be fully reviewed.

The NCO got a new logo last year, why? RTÉ were unwilling to release it costs. what do you think?

A-349147-1453588000-4088.jpeg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,968 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You are correct, it matters little which budget the funding comes from we are still paying for the orchestras.

You have put your finger on why it is subsidised too. It's because having orchestras like that is not a commercially viable operation.

The State has made a political decision to keep the orchestras for cultural reasons.

Like museums, galleries, national parks etc. not everyone uses them but they are considered good things to have.

Tickets to hear the orchestras in concert are not very expensive and could even be considered a bargain compared to some other music genres.

If you are really exercised about the orchestras you could consider complaining to your local TD.

elperello wrote: »

The State has made a political decision to keep the orchestras for cultural reasons.

The "indendpent" report also pointed out that "the state" or government of the day may not wish to consider that an Orchestra is of cultural significance and was against the idea that the Goverment should fund either on its own. Which this government has chosen to do.

I can see their reasoning, firstly there are other cultural and arts that are funded by the government, is the extra funding to the NCH/NSO taking from those other important cultural/artistic attractions? and in the future an new government may decided that 8m would be better spend on the many other cultural things that need money. RTÉ on the other hand has to spend its money on the NCO, even if it is just for a new logo.

What do you think of the old one?

RTE_CO_logo_black%20screen%20300dpi.jpg

I'd be happy enough to see my tax money going to keep the orchestras.

I don't see any groundswell of opinion one way or the other from the general public.

For the amount of money involved would a future Government bother trying to defund either?

I don't know, I suppose it's always a risk.

As for the logo, is it a case of less is more?

I'd be happy enough to see my tax money going to keep the orchestras.

I don't see any groundswell of opinion one way or the other from the general public.

For the amount of money involved would a future Government bother trying to defund either?

I don't know, I suppose it's always a risk.

As for the logo, is it a case of less is more?

I agree, as for the logo honestly when you're begging for money it should not be a priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Just on rte's obsession with misery, just watching a programme there on channel 5 it was about ballyfin hotel in laois, anyways the presenter was talking to the gardener and he happened to mention he was there since 67 and the convent that was there before took him in and gave him work as a maintenance guy, he said in passing he was an orphran, the presenter passed no remark on this and carried on chatting not a bother on her, now if it was one of our crew they'd have been in like Flynn to drill down for misery till they found something

• Registered Users Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

At least that would have educational value.

Yes. Schindler's List is has merit, and value...

Something the Late Late show doesn't. It used to... legitimately used to.
    Literally watch an archived interview with Gay Byrne, or even Pat Kenny... and it's more valuable than an entire year's worth of Tubridy.

Just on rte's obsession with misery, just watching a programme there on channel 5 it was about ballyfin hotel in laois, anyways the presenter was talking to the gardener and he happened to mention he was there since 67 and the convent that was there before took him in and gave him work as a maintenance guy, he said in passing he was an orphran, the presenter passed no remark on this and carried on chatting not a bother on her, now if it was one of our crew they'd have been in like Flynn to drill down for misery till they found something

I didn't see the programme you refer to but Ballyfin was never a convent.

It was a boarding school run by the Patrician Brothers and there were allegations of abuse some years ago.

No reason to attach any negativity to the current enterprise there.

The current owners have made a fine job of the place.

It depends on the nature of the programme if it was just about Ballyfin now then no need to mention the allegations. If it was supposed to be a thorough
    history wrong to leave them out.

Either way nothing to do with RTE.

You are correct, it matters little which budget the funding comes from we are still paying for the orchestras.

You have put your finger on why it is subsidised too. It's because having orchestras like that is not a commercially viable operation.

Like museums, galleries, national parks etc. not everyone uses them but they are considered good things to have.

Tickets to hear the orchestras in concert are not very expensive and could even be considered a bargain compared to some other music genres.

If you are really exercised about the orchestras you could consider complaining to your local TD.

I like Big Band music, but they're pretty much extinct these days due to the expense of running them - the taxpayer isn't expected to fund them though. If I were to go to such a concert I'd be contributing towards the full economic cost of running a big band tour.

They are making a judgement that one type of "culture" is more valuable than another, and forcing us all to pay for it.

Classical music is outdated and has next to no appeal, it also has no connection to Irish culture.

I didn't see the programme you refer to but Ballyfin was never a convent.

It was a boarding school run by the Patrician Brothers and there were allegations of abuse some years ago.

No reason to attach any negativity to the current enterprise there.

The current owners have made a fine job of the place.

It depends on the nature of the programme if it was just about Ballyfin now then no need to mention the allegations. If it was supposed to be a thorough
    history wrong to leave them out.

Either way nothing to do with RTE.

Ok it was a boarding school not a convent my mistake, dismount from your high horse there for a minute, you completely misunderstood my comment, in fact it was just a passing comment on different styles of presenting between an English and an Irish broadcaster, an observation, an opinion if you will

• Advertisement

I like Big Band music, and Big Bands are pretty much extinct these days due to the expense of running them, the taxpayer isn't expected to fund them though.

The "independent" report also mentioned the lack of regional Orchestras in the country. Though possibly not mentioning Big Bands.

Do you consider the Garda Band to be a big band? And the Army has a band also?

RTÉ did have a quartet at one point.

I like Big Band music, and Big Bands are pretty much extinct these days due to the expense of running them, the taxpayer isn't expected to fund them though.

I get you.

I have a wide range of interests myself.

Some receive direct or indirect funding from the public purse.

Some I have to bear the full economic cost from my own after tax income.

It's just the luck of the draw.

Historically some music genres get a few bob, others sink or swim.

Ok it was a boarding school not a convent my mistake, dismount from your high horse there for a minute, you completely misunderstood my comment, in fact it was just a passing comment on different styles of presenting between an English and an Irish broadcaster, an observation, an opinion if you will

That's ok.

No high horse here, sorry if you feel I misunderstood you.

Without seeing the programme it's hard to tell if the presenting style was appropriate or not.

You have the advantage of having seen it and you are just imagining how a different film crew would have produced it.

That's just my opinion.

I'd say that most people aren't even aware that their taxes and licence fee are going to fund orchestras,

It all adds up.

Proper order too, those scumbag nuns inflicted massive abuse and misery on our society and yet some people still defend them.

They own private hospital chains worth billions but won't compensate their victims.

So you're ok with twee Paddies on Parade but not any sort of serious reportage. Gotcha.

Elmo wrote: »
    The "independent" report also mentioned the lack of regional Orchestras in the country. Though possibly not mentioning Big Bands.

Do you consider the Garda Band to be a big band? And the Army has a band also?

RTÉ did have a quartet at one point.

No, no you don't understand, Big Band = Swing jazz.

Proper order too, those scumbag nuns inflicted massive abuse and misery on our society and yet some people still defend them.

They own private hospital chains worth billions but won't compensate their victims.

It was a boarding school ran by the brothers as I've already been corrected on by esperello fair enough, nuns, christian brothers and the rights and wrongs of their institutions had nothing to do with my post, it was merely an observation on different styles of interviewing between an English and an Irish interviewer, there is no defence of any actions present or past in my post, I do hope you are not implying that there was

Twee nonsense brushing over the past excuses by omission the abuses which went on.

• Advertisement

So you're ok with twee Paddies on Parade but not any sort of serious reportage. Gotcha.

Ah give over and stop completely misrepresenting my post, you've no idea what im ok with or not

Advertisement