Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

elperello wrote: »
    I guess it's non-indigenous because people from other countries created it.

We created some fine music here too.

It's a cultural thing that the government likes to support the arts.

I'm ok with it but I don't go to concerts.

Like I said before anyone who has a problem could take it up with the relevant dept.

I've nothing against it, but it seems a strange choice to be sorted by the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

There will always be stuff that is deemed culturally important ...but which Pat doesn't support sufficiently to be viable..... thus requiring Govt.support.

Think ..Opera......The Irish Language....League of Ireland Football..........

Matter of suckin it up....innit ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,284 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Does trad, sean-nós etc. get any ringfenced funding? Would far rather pay for 50 trad musicians and or singers going round the country doing gigs which would be deemed far more culturally important.
    And unlike the Orchestra, they could play anywhere and are not limited to 5 venues due to the size of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

RE: The NSO move to the NCH

So here's my pessimistic take

2017 - RTÉ decide they must lobby to get rid of either one of the orchestras.
    2018 - A report is written outlining the problems that exist, few read it. The government latch on to the idea of the NSO moving to the NCH, in principle. RTÉ and the NCH say the will meet to discuss and plan for the move.
    2018 - 2020 RTÉ and NCH do not meet
    2020 - Budget Day government give funding to NCH to run the NSO
    The rest of 2020 - Both RTÉ and NCH do the bare minimum, well it is coming up to Christmas after all.
    2021 - NCH has €8m for the running of the NSO but now has to work with RTÉ to plan for its move, which they should have already finished in 2019 or 2018.

I am not saying this did happen but...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

retalivity wrote: »
    Does trad, sean-nós etc. get any ringfenced funding? Would far rather pay for 50 trad musicians and or singers going round the country doing gigs which would be deemed far more culturally important.
    And unlike the Orchestra, they could play anywhere and are not limited to 5 venues due to the size of them.

Various funding schemes from the Arts Council and Culture Ireland plus a few special ones for Covid.

http://www.artscouncil.ie/available-funding/
    https://www.cultureireland.ie/funding

https://www.firstmusiccontact.com/information-on-the-irish-music-industry-covid-19-relief-fund
    https://www.gov.ie/en/service/28151-music-industry-stimulus-package/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,525 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Had to laugh when I read this, I just hope they don't do something stupid like spend the money they got from the sale of their lands on some boxing for PPV event...
    In a submission seen by the Sunday Independent, the broadcaster said regulators would need to allow RTÉ the freedom to innovate which could include introducing pay-per-view programming and subscription video on demand (SVOD), it said.
    https://www.independent.ie/business/media/rte-seeks-greater-freedom-to-raise-revenue-40055750.html

Had to laugh when I read this, I just hope they don't do something stupid like spend the money they got from the sale of their lands on some boxing for PPV event...

https://www.independent.ie/business/media/rte-seeks-greater-freedom-to-raise-revenue-40055750.html

You honestly think they still have that money?

PPV events have to get blanket coverage to draw the crowds in so you'll have RTE polluting the airwaves cajoling people to register and pay for the events weeks in advance.
    That isn't what you expect from a public service broadcaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

This part is very funny:
    regulators would need to allow RTÉ the freedom to innovate

That is one humongous oxymoron right there. Many of us would be happy just to get a basic competent service from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

PPV events have to get blanket coverage to draw the crowds in so you'll have RTE polluting the airwaves cajoling people to register and pay for the events weeks in advance.
    That isn't what you expect from a public service broadcaster.

Ah sure Dee will probably just whinge to the Government to make it"DE LAW!" to buy the PPV tickets alongside your TV license.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Looks lke buzzword bullshít from people who don't understand the economics of Pay TV and the security aspects. Then again, it is RTE. :)

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

This is what counts as news on RTE's website.
    2FM presenter Lottie Ryan has announced that she and husband Fabio Aprile are expecting their first child.

The broadcaster shared the couple's happy news on Instagram, posting a picture of a babygrow with the inscription: "I guess quarantine wasn't that boring after all. #comingsoon."

She captioned the photo: "Surprise!!!"

A presenter who is only working for RTE because they employed her father had sex during lockdown. At this stage RTE feels like a public funded welfare system for a large nepotistic, extended family.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Kivaro wrote: »
    This part is very funny:

That is one humongous oxymoron right there. Many of us would be happy just to get a basic competent service from them.

Innovation requires risk taking. All they do is hire the same presenters for different jobs.

2FM presenter Lottie Ryan has announced that she and husband Fabio Aprile are expecting their first child.

The broadcaster shared the couple's happy news on Instagram, posting a picture of a babygrow with the inscription: "I guess quarantine wasn't that boring after all. #comingsoon."

She captioned the photo: "Surprise!!!"
    Nope, that moment passed. :pac:

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Innovation requires risk taking. All they do is hire the same presenters for different jobs.

RTÉ has the abilities to be innovative. I am going to give 2 examples of where they fail to push their own innovations.

Their decision to close their Digital Radio Stations, rather then to work with the government to make them someway commercial or someway public service. Or even internally to cross promote them across their other 4 main radio stations.

Then on their decision they hadn't even put forward to the Department to allow them to close the radio stations, because they thought they could just close down stations as they like.

Now you have their player V TG4 Player!

Their Radio Player used the old player logo, there is no cross promotion between Radio Player and TV player, with Radio now podcasts?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I've deleted some off topic replies, Keep it on topic please, this thread is about the RTE TV license, not about getting digs in at Lottie Ryan for being pregnant .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭trashcan

There will always be stuff that is deemed culturally important ...but which Pat doesn't support sufficiently to be viable..... thus requiring Govt.support.

Think ..Opera......The Irish Language....League of Ireland Football..........

Matter of suckin it up....innit ?

I wish people thought League of Ireland football was culturally important :(

RTÉ2 3.88% audience share drops behind BBC1 on 4.54% with VMT TWO not far behind on 3.56% in Jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Elmo wrote: »
    RTÉ2 3.88% audience share drops behind BBC1 on 4.54% with VMT TWO not far behind on 3.56% in Jan.

Jesus... so they're legit losing the 'new' audience they so craved?

Jesus... so they're legit losing the 'new' audience they so craved?

Wonder why?
    Just checked the listings for prime time viewing tonight.
    At 9:30 pm: Gerry Ryan: A Legacy. Followed by Mrs Brown's Boys at 10:30 pm.

What the fluck is wrong with them? Ryan: A legacy? Are they are tryin to perpetuate a drug user as some sort of public hero? RTE have this notion that the general public in Ireland adore their staff as if they were gilded saints. We don't.

What a piss poor listing for a Sunday night during a worldwide pandemic.
    They should be ashamed of themselves (irrespective of the money that they are trying to divert from programming/services to staff/star salaries and their benefits).

• Advertisement

Kivaro wrote: »
    Wonder why?
    Just checked the listings for prime time viewing tonight.
    At 9:30 pm: Gerry Ryan: A Legacy. Followed by Mrs Brown's Boys at 10:30 pm.

What the fluck is wrong with them? Ryan: A legacy? Are they are tryin to perpetuate a drug user as some sort of public hero? RTE have this notion that the general public in Ireland adore their staff as if they were gilded saints. We don't.

What a piss poor listing for a Sunday night during a worldwide pandemic.
    They should be ashamed of themselves (irrespective of the money that they are trying to divert from programming/services to staff/star salaries and their benefits).
    If all you have to offer is cabbage then soupe aux choux/cabbage soup is what goes on the menu.
    old archive footage costs them nothing. minimal editing costs, one camera setup for the talking heads. no studio setup costs. bish bash bosh and 1 hour of primetime sunday schedule is filled. The lazier media buyers will still take advertising space as they assume that RTE must be broadcasting "something worth watching" during primetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

Dermot Bannon at 7.30 set the tone for an evening of pure muck.
    Have they no shame?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

jelutong wrote: »
    Dermot Bannon at 7.30 set the tone for an evening of pure muck.
    Have they no shame?

You'd have to care to feel shame

youtube has been serving local adverts to me. That is the sort of targetting media buyers love. They know roughly where I live based on my ISP details, they know what sort media I consume, the adverts are short and unobtrusive.
    In the US the Car Dealerships are diverting nearly all spend away from TV to Internet because they are getting a hit rate.
    The funding model they have of TV licence propping up commercial broadcasting along with advertising will not function within the next decade.
    What happens then? Even higher licence for even more commercial broadcasting.
    I'm waiting for them to buy the rights to the Masked Singer and run the Irish version of it...but who'll be in the Mr. Potato Head costume.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Mrs browns boys should be eradicated at this stage.
    A more unfunny talentless hack it would be hard to find.
    Gerry ryan. He's dead. Get over it rte. And he wasn't even any good

Mrs browns boys should be eradicated at this stage.
    A more unfunny talentless hack it would be hard to find.
    Gerry ryan. He's dead. Get over it rte. And he wasn't even any good

I don't get MBB myself but they are set to be with us until 2026 so maybe we should get used to the fact.

Apparently even though ratings are down the contract is signed. Sound man Brendan :)

As for GR, tonight's show is a repeat so I guess it's fair to assume that most people know he is no longer with us.

He was very popular in his day.

He was very popular in his day.
    That's what they would have you believe. His best times were late night on 2FM in the 80s.

That's what they would have you believe. His best times were late night on 2FM in the 80s.

I guess "they" have me codded so.

I really thought he was very popular on his morning show.

I could be wrong though, I was never a fan.

I guess "they" have me codded so.

I really thought he was very popular on his morning show.

I could be wrong though, I was never a fan.
    If your idea of entertainment was listening to an obnoxious coke-head reading stories out of the Irish Independent on air and making uninformed comment with zero research done then he would have been right up your street at that stage in his "career".
    The rot hasn't just recently set in.

• Advertisement

If your idea of entertainment was listening to an obnoxious coke-head reading stories out of the Irish Independent on air and making uninformed comment with zero research done then he would have been right up your street at that stage in his "career".
    The rot hasn't just recently set in.

As I said I was never a fan.

More of a Pat Kenny person in fact.

I still think he was very popular but you are entitled to your opinion.

Advertisement