Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

They shouldnt need to be looking to fill in "x" number of hours for the sake of it.

Get rid of RTE2 and 2fm.....

Number of hours to fill in... reduced automatically...

sure scrap them completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Ok

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Have to agree sorry, RTÉ2 and 2FM are now a non-requirement for RTÉ. Either they should be sold or closed, I would preference being sold.

I say this as someone who see value in public service broadcasting, but not in the current situation at RTÉ.

Here you have an organisation begging for an increase in funding but unable to tell us what they would potentially do with that funding.

Drama cut to just 2.5m in 2019
    Children's cut to just 3.5m in 2019

While 2FM sees little or no cuts and Imported Programming is ring fenced.

The second TV and Radio station have a value that a private company will be able to quantify purely because every radio and TV in the country is already programmed to receive them.
    They should be sold. The biggest issue with starting a new channel is getting people to tune in. It is the reason why TV3 bought some sports events. This forced people who wanted to see those events to tune in TV3 or get people who know how to tune in a channel to tune it in on their behalf.

They should be sold. The biggest issue with starting a new channel is getting people to tune in. It is the reason why TV3 bought some sports events. This forced people who wanted to see those events to tune in TV3 or get people who know how to tune in a channel to tune it in on their behalf.

Slightly different back in the day, for TV3, Canwest had always targeted 7% and they got that from the off with little or no live sport. Many people were still in 3 TV Land, while the addition of TV3 to most cable services brought them up to 16 or so channels.

New channels in Ireland either have to decide to go the route of Channel 6, and even with that they need to be on Saorview, unfortunately Channel 6 was a few years ahead of their time. Even when rebranded as 3e it saw a drop after building an audience with its new schedule.

UTV Ireland made the mistake that TV3 was the established national commercial broadcaster with an established news service and no matter how good your news service is it won't be able to move people from the two main national news service channels.

Really UTV Ireland news should have been a very basic news service coming from their regions utilizing their regional radio stations, while their regional radio station should have used UTV Ireland as their national news service.... instead they went with Newstalk, their competitor!

That is on top of the fact that UTV Ireland failed to look out side ITV Studio's programming. Over those 2 years neither TV3 (7%) or UTV Ireland grew, UTV Ireland didn't even see TV3's coverage of the world cup dent their 6.5% share of the audience and UTV proper's 1.5%.

But yes RTÉ2 at the moment would be an attractive offer to any private company. It's current share while low can be increased, it still has a relatively stable audience, its imports if utilized are impressive and if the deal also gives the private company UEFA champions league they can definitely build on the channels programming. Indeed RTÉ could easily put a late night political chat show on RTÉ2 since the move of The Tonight Show to 10pm on VM1, this would massively help the ailing channel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Elmo wrote: »
    So perhaps I am wrong but it really seems as if 2FM's new schedule really failed, here you have a big news story about one of their main stars and I get the impression very few people actually know who he is. Unless your following his wokeness or unless your interested in the media, everyone else seems to be going who is this guy?

A lot of RTE's 'new' talent, as in over the last 20 years, failed. Some went over to TV3, but others were lucky if they got jobs on their local radio. (Or, if you're the likes of former 2tube presenters, you were lucky if you had a band. Liam McCormack for example).

Many folks drained listeners (such as the one in question) whilst others just bellyflopped.

PEople just want to hear music-they don't need a natty presenter being annoying. Spotify does all I need, without being spoken down to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

A lot of RTE's 'new' talent, as in over the last 20 years, failed. Some went over to TV3, but others were lucky if they got jobs on their local radio. (Or, if you're the likes of former 2tube presenters, you were lucky if you had a band. Liam McCormack for example).

Many folks drained listeners (such as the one in question) whilst others just bellyflopped.

PEople just want to hear music-they don't need a natty presenter being annoying. Spotify does all I need, without being spoken down to.

Googled Liam McCormack, came up with a butchers. No idea who the guy you mentioned is.

Regarding the music, the only time we need presenters/djs is during speciality shows where it's their taste in music that comes through on the show. The usual 2FM nonsense of playing the same playlisted songs doesn't need some haircut saying "love you bye bye".

• Registered Users Posts: 82,520 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Adding RTE+1 and RTE2+2 was crazy when they had the Player, BBC have no +1 channels. It must be their own admition that the Player is pure unfit for purpose trash.

Adding RTE+1 and RTE2+2 was crazy when they had the Player, BBC have no +1 channels. It must be their own admition that the Player is pure unfit for purpose trash.

BBC had asked for BBC ONE +1 when they dropped BBC THREE. RTÉ ONE +1 was supposed to be a holding channel for RTÉ PLUS/THREE but they never got the go ahead for that channel. They should have asked to add RTÉ PLUS when the asked to let RTÉ ONE +1 got 24 hours and for the addition of RTÉ2+1. I don't really understand why they didn't ask for RTÉ2+1 to be 24 hours. Also it is not available on any other platform other than Soarview.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

McGaggs wrote: »
    Googled Liam McCormack, came up with a butchers. No idea who the guy you mentioned is.

Regarding the music, the only time we need presenters/djs is during speciality shows where it's their task in music that comes through on the show. The usual 2FM nonsense of playing the same playlisted songs doesn't need some haircut saying "love you bye bye".

He lost his gig with RTE about 11 or 12 years ago. Was left in Limbo afterwards. Since then, he's been in a 90's themed band, someone you hire for weddings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The second TV and Radio station have a value that a private company will be able to quantify purely because every radio and TV in the country is already programmed to receive them.

How would RTE TV manage to cover sport and special events like for instance elections without disrupting regular programming if there was no second channel?

elperello wrote: »
    How would RTE TV manage to cover sport and special events like for instance elections without disrupting regular programming if there was no second channel?
    Does RTE Network 2 need to cover sporting events? If the demand is there a commerical broadcaster can cover them.
    Political events if important enough should be carried on RTE1 which I believe is where they are usually carried adn the News Channel was still there on the EPG the last time I flicked through channels which I admit was quite a few months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

elperello wrote: »
    We can only hope that it would interrupt regular programming, because their regular programming is terrible.

Does RTE Network 2 need to cover sporting events? If the demand is there a commerical broadcaster can cover them.
    Political events if important enough should be carried on RTE1 which I believe is where they are usually carried adn the News Channel was still there on the EPG the last time I flicked through channels which I admit was quite a few months ago.
    Kivaro wrote: »
    We can only hope that it would interrupt regular programming, because their regular programming is terrible.

Thanks for the replies but I remain to be convinced that selling off/closing down RTE 2 TV channel is a good idea.

I suspect that you are very much in the minority and aren't one to take the hard decisions that need to be taken.

If the sale of RTÉ2 includes Champions League RTÉ ONE would have very little that would disturb its schedule, RTÉ's own 2024 strategy suggests moving all major sporting events to RTÉ ONE.

For news and current affairs RTÉ have RTÉ News.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,812 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Costs nothing and brings in a little extra advertising revenue. The "space" it uses up on Saorview has to be paid for anyway and would otherwise be broadcasting testcards or binary zeroes.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

They'd have paid based on a scale associated with the size of their potential audience.
    It isn't public service broadscasting so they should not be buying it but bought it to prevent the commercial broadcasters taking it.
    it is the sort of thing they do(or I remember them doing) like buying primetime US series and burning them off during the night after primetime just to stop the commercial stations getting a hold on them and using them as a base around which to build an evening's programming.
    sometimes it was also as a "package", like if they want "Grey's Anatomy" they have to buy it in a bundle with a load of other shows that they don't really want.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

This is my take on American, English and Austrailian imports:-

1. RTÉ buy in too many hours for 2.5 channels (I include RTÉjr)
    2. RTÉ have never cut their spend on imports, even though they stated they would examine all costs.
    3. While cheaper to buy in the 25m spend does actually provide value
    4. As pointed out most will appear in late night hours of RTÉ2 and RTÉONE or on the Player with little or no promotion.
    5. RTÉ believe that they have to fill their schedules (Willie O'Reilly Twitter account) and the only way to do this is to buy in imports.
    6. However those imports could produce 2 extra channels and be repeated late night or even give RTÉ2 and ONE a 100% repeat free prime time.
    7. Take TG4 while heavy on repeats possibly as heavy as RTÉ2, yet it is able to spend a fraction of RTÉ2's spend on imports (this includes all of the animation which it dubs into Irish), and fill its schedule as well as RTÉ do.
    Also RTE don't import anything except from the UK and US. Every movie is from Hollywood, there is no effort to reach a little wider, I think people would tolerate subtitles.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

goose2005 wrote: »
    sometimes it was also as a "package", like if they want "Grey's Anatomy" they have to buy it in a bundle with a load of other shows that they don't really want.

why would this be part of a package? Its a one off, Oprah isn't a show anymore...

• Advertisement

I suspect that you are very much in the minority and aren't one to take the hard decisions that need to be taken.

I might well be in a minority but I'm ok with that.

Thank heavens neither you or I will have to take "the hard decisions".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

They should have asked to add RTÉ PLUS when the asked to let RTÉ ONE +1 got 24 hours and for the addition of RTÉ2+1. I don't really understand why they didn't ask for RTÉ2+1 to be 24 hours

Why apply for things you are not not going to be given .

The Government has indicated with the total lack of a response to RTE's proposal to move kid's programmes off RTE2 that there is some things it's pointless asking for

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭political analyst

Yes.

If a Gaelic match that could run into extra time was shown on RTÉ 1 on a weekend afternoon and it did go into extra time, then Six-One would run late - can you imagine the outcry that would cause?

Furthermore, the RTÉ News channel is useful for sporting events to which RTÉ has the rights but couldn't broadcast in the analogue era due to other sporting events being shown at the same time. Some Gaelic matches have been broadcast on the news channel because of conflict of schedules.

For Euro and World Cup matches, the news channel has also been useful when two matches are played at the same time.

Besides, getting rid of RTÉ 2 would leave viewers who are solely reliant on Saorview in areas that don't receive terrestrial overspill from Britain or from NI with even less choice than they currently have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭political analyst

If the sale of RTÉ2 includes Champions League RTÉ ONE would have very little that would disturb its schedule, RTÉ's own 2024 strategy suggests moving all major sporting events to RTÉ ONE.

For news and current affairs RTÉ have RTÉ News.

RTÉ still has to have news bulletins on its main channel. As far as I know, Six-One has never run late - why let it happen now or in the future?

SPDUB wrote: »
    The Government has indicated with the total lack of a response to RTE's proposal to move kid's programmes off RTE2 that there is some things it's pointless asking for

RTÉ applied for the move of RTÉjr from RTÉ2, the minister of the day refused to make a decision, he was asked 3 times when he would make a decision and he said soon and on the last occasion he said please see his last response, that was 3 months between each question, that was Pat Rabbitte, then Alex White took over the position the question was asked of him again and he advised that RTÉ had Withdrawn that proposal, no reason given. The government did drag their feet alright but RTE also withdrew the proposal after the BAI had carried out the required SIA. (The government should have made a decision on this proposal). Since then RTÉ have applied for Oireachtas TV on Saorview and the extension of RTÉ +1 and the addition of RTÉ2+1 on a part-time basis. Both of which the government agreed to.

elperello and political analyst

RTÉ 2024 strategy states

"We will move RTÉ's biggest sporting moments to RTÉ ONE"

Now while this does not mean the full suite of sporting event it does mean

Any Irish Rugby or Soccer Match
    The Semi-finals and Finals of the GAA Championships

Meanwhile if RTÉ2 was to be sold it would be sold with sporting events, perhaps this would just cover an agreement from the new owners to take any GAA games that might cause disruption to RTÉ ONE's schedule along with sports like UEFA Champions League which RTÉ are not planning to move over to RTÉ ONE.

You also seem to think that RTÉ should own all of the sporting rights that they currently own.

Costs nothing and brings in a little extra advertising revenue. The "space" it uses up on Saorview has to be paid for anyway and would otherwise be broadcasting testcards or binary zeroes.

I would slightly disagree with you here, as neither channel has added to RTÉ ONE or RTÉ2 audience share.

It would make more sence to have RTÉ3 and RTÉ4.

They would consist of the shows RTÉ1 and RTÉ2 air after 12 on the same schedule, if you like RTÉ 1+18 and RTÉ2 +18. while both channels can air RTÉ one's and TWO's prime-time schedules and night.

Should RTÉ have to sell RTÉ2 well... that solves the sporting problem above .... using RTÉ 1+1 for live sport imagine! (I believe that was the original plan in anycase).

goose2005 wrote: »
    Also RTE don't import anything except from the UK and US. Every movie is from Hollywood, there is no effort to reach a little wider, I think people would tolerate subtitles.

Especially if the content was a little raunchy... ;););)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Yes.

If a Gaelic match that could run into extra time was shown on RTÉ 1 on a weekend afternoon and it did go into extra time, then Six-One would run late - can you imagine the outcry that would cause?

They might have to get the ref to stall the ball so they can broadcast the Angelus :pac:
    Besides, getting rid of RTÉ 2 would leave viewers who are solely reliant on Saorview in areas that don't receive terrestrial overspill from Britain or from NI with even less choice than they currently have.

The proposal isn't to get rid of RTE2, it's to sell it off so someone else can make a go of it (Network 2, anyone?) instead of the dire embarrassment it is now.

• Advertisement

I would slightly disagree with you here, as neither channel has added to RTÉ ONE or RTÉ2 audience share.

Well you're wrong there because I watched it yesterday, so that's at least one viewer :)
    It would make more sence to have RTÉ3 and RTÉ4.

They can't properly fill the schedule on RTE1 and 2 as it is without a lot of repeats.

Advertisement