Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Over 100,000 people a day would disagree with you. there is more to a record station than just playing records.
    Are these real people or "listeners" made up by the companies who "estimate" the number of listeners?

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

jmcc wrote: »
    #are these real people or "listeners" made up by the companies who "estimate" the number of listeners?

Regards...jmcc

are you suggesting that the JNLR figures are faked? pretty serious claim to make.

are you suggesting that the JNLR figures are faked? pretty serious claim to make.
    No. I'm asking if that claim of 100K listeners is correct and accurate. They don't actually count all the listeners and generally base their numbers on estimates.

Regards...jmcc

100 000 a day? That's not good.

On TV, 100,000 viewers would get the average RTE show axed. Even RTE 2 would axe a show with 100,000 viewers.
    A county radio station, with a far smaller audience and far smaller reach, gets 100,000 listenership.

2fm is meant to be country wide. That small an audience is rather...pathetic.

you cannot make that comparison. it is nonsense. Compare it to other radio stations. and compare figures in the same time slot.

No. I'm asking if that claim of 100K listeners is correct and accurate.

Regards...jmcc

until some conspiracy that the figures are faked is shown to be true I will take it as given that they are as correct as can be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

BloodBath wrote: »
    Tubbs and Darcy would be on the dole if they didn't have jobs in RTE. Darcy is especially bad but so is Tommy Tiernan imo. Not 1 of them knows how to do an interview. Terrible guests, cringe questions and awkward silences all round.

Maybe the solution is to put all 3 of them on 1 show and give them 1/3rd of their current salaries and even then they would be overpaid.

Jesus the Brits are refusing to pay their TV license in droves for the far superior BBC. What hope as RTE got.

I agree on Tubridy and D'arcy. I disagree on Tiernan.

For example, Tubridy has turned the Toy Show into an annual Misery-fest... with the odd toy.

D'arcy... he's a dead horse at this stage. Even Gordon Elliott wouldn't sit on him. (Too soon for that joke?)

Tiernan's is far superior to these two, combined. And he's not even doing this as his main gig.
    He's more prying with his questions, and he's more optimistic. You won't get the 'misery' that the others do. OR the blandness.

I mean, D'arcy is getting half a million euro to host the Den... A show he fronted almost 40 years ago, 5 days a week, for far less money.
    Yet now he's hosting it once a week, with the cold dead eyes of a guy who's completely given up.

Yet Dee Forbe's considers that a success.

until some conspiracy that the figures are faked is shown to be true I will take it as given that they are as correct as can be.
    I consider them to be in the same class as political opinion polls.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Well it's all opinion I guess. I think Tiernan is massively overrated but sure he's a lot more likeable than the other 2.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭Theworldisy

Rte i can't see changing in the near future. There is so much choice now that rte is becoming less and less relevant. They need to be focused on producing more home grown programs. It's just the same people rehashed all the time. It's one big gravy train. It can't last as surely the government are going to tell them to make serious cuts. Cuts have been announced but they are not big enough. Rte is not fit for purpose. It's not producing enough quality product to justify the money it receives. Everyone should pay how that's achieved i don't know. But 50-60 eur a year is enough. Get rid of rte2, the orchestra, 2fm and cut back on staff. If they can't survive on that and ad revenue then let them loose and fend for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You do realise that it will become near impossible not to pay the licence in the future.

They are planning to change it from a tv licence to a digital licence, and it will encompass every single gadget that can receive streaming content, which will even get money from those who don't own tv's.

And if they have their way, they will have revenue collect it, and those guys know how to get money out of you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

NIMAN wrote: »
    You do realise that it will become near impossible not to pay the licence in the future.

They are planning to change it from a tv licence to a digital licence, and it will encompass every single gadget that can receive streaming content, which will even get money from those who don't own tv's.

And if they have their way, they will have revenue collect it, and those guys know how to get money out of you!

Sounds like a shakedown, not far removed from a protection racket, those made guys an gals out in montrose have to be kept in a manner which they have become accustomed.... we pay they play

That's going to make the Water Tax protests look like a walk in the park for the politicians who support that. They will be permanently removed from office and their parties reduced to husks.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I do hope you're right.

I do hope you're right.
    Labour went from 37 seats to 7 after betraying its voters. The first party to oppose the TV tax and organise the opposition to it will gain massively.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Here's a better idea.

Why don't we sit down like sensible people and decide what sort of Public Broadcasting Service we want and then discuss how to fund it?

Heaven knows there are lots of ideas out there.

This forum alone has enough opinions to be going on with.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Then RTE will say great idea and 5 years later nothing has changed like all their promises

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

elperello wrote: »
    Here's a better idea.

Why don't we sit down like sensible people and decide what sort of Public Broadcasting Service we want and then discuss how to fund it?

Heaven knows there are lots of ideas out there.

This forum alone has enough opinions to be going on with.

This thread has being going now for 3 years, lots of suggestions from posters from all walks of life, most of them along the same lines, like getting rid of the overpaid superstars along with the RTE lifers that are there because of who the know rather than on merit, and inject new blood into the station.

But we all know that nothing is going to change because the taxpayer will keep bailing them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭jams100

I hate these sort of situations. It should be "Irish citizens pay 20,000 for an individual who told a lie that was corrected before the end of a programme.

These sort of things happen too often be it the HSE, RTE etc. Really frustrates me, that's essentially the tax an average person pays for the whole year! (Ok, in this instance the money is going to charity but that's not the point).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

fritzelly wrote: »
    Then RTE will say great idea and 5 years later nothing has changed like all their promises
    mgn wrote: »
    This thread has being going now for 3 years, lots of suggestions from posters from all walks of life, most of them along the same lines, like getting rid of the overpaid superstars along with the RTE lifers that are there because of who the know rather than on merit, and inject new blood into the station.

But we all know that nothing is going to change because the taxpayer will keep bailing them out.

Thanks for the replies.

Well it doesn't have to be like that.

We could go on for another three years just cutting lumps out of RTE and each other to no avail.

Let's face it none of us are going to get exactly what we want in this discussion but there has to be a better way.

Surely some political party can see their way to putting forward a discussion document with a view to forming a sustainable PBS policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

elperello wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.

Well it doesn't have to be like that.

We could go on for another three years just cutting lumps out of RTE and each other to no avail.

Let's face it none of us are going to get exactly what we want in this discussion but there has to be a better way.

Surely some political party can see their way to putting forward a discussion document with a view to forming a sustainable PBS policy.

The government are happy to play along with RTE as long as the push whatever agenda the want pushed, the couldn't care less what happens with RTE as long as the get the airtime the need while in power,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,584 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Imagine how much of a f*cking idiot you need to be to make Eirigi look like the good guys out of a situation :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Jizique

Imaging how much of a f*cking idiot you need to be to make Eirigi look like the good guys out of a situation :rolleyes:

I am shocked that Éirigí do not support violence

• Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Imaging how much of a f*cking idiot you need to be to make Eirigi look like the good guys out of a situation :rolleyes:

The fact that Inner City Helping Homeless led by that muppet Anthony Flynn are partial recipients of that donation is incredible too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Labour went from 37 seats to 7 after betraying its voters. The first party to oppose the TV tax and organise the opposition to it will gain massively.

Regards...jmcc

Good place for SF to step in. They'd have nothing to lose, RTE already treat them like dirt.

I'm not a huge fan of SF but I'm even less of a fan of blatant bias and bullying.

It's way too late for getting all nicey nicey about it and having cosy chats about making it better.

Their utter contempt for people outside of their privileged lives has put paid to that. They've shat on too many people, from too high, for too long.

They will never reform themselves. I posted before in a satirical way https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=111233783 about bringing in a corporate trouble shooter. That's exactly what is needed,

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »
    Good place for SF to step in. They'd have nothing to lose, RTE already treat them like dirt.

I'm not a huge fan of SF but I'm even less of a fan of blatant bias and bullying.
    It would be an election winner for SF because the TV licence hits those on lower wages proportionately harder than those on high wages.

It's way too late for getting all nicey nicey about it and having cosy chats about making it better.
    This is how RTE and its supporters control the narrative. They basically get people talking and distract them from any action.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

What's worse is when there's a payment made but amount undisclosed.

Lest we forget Martina Fitzgerald who's contract was not renewed.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/tv-radio-web/journalist-martina-fitzgerald-to-leave-rt%C3%A9-1.3739734
    RTÉ colleagues say the broadcaster made a settlement offer to Ms Fitzgerald who is pleased with the outcome.

The offer is understood to have followed consultations between her legal team and that of RTÉ, and the threat of legal action.

And Joe Duffy constantly banging on about 'he could be let go in the morning'...lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

They are planning to tack it onto the local property tax that currently has a high compliance rate. They are going to make it a "device-independent broadcasting charge" which means they get revenue even if you have no TV and do not consume their output.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭jams100

Imagine how much of a f*cking idiot you need to be to make Eirigi look like the good guys out of a situation :rolleyes:

I dont know why they paid them anything, they corrected what was said on the night and issued a further apology the next week. Why the f**k also give the money? Last I heard RTE were in a state financially.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

RTÉ 2 is lucky to get 100,000 on average for their top 5 programs outside of sport. It's the 4th most watch TV channel and it's just about keeping VM2 out of 4th place. It did even manage a 4% share in Jan or Feb.

Advertisement