Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I’ll say it again, people are morons if they are paying this license fee ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

I'll give Podge and Rodge a go, but I think they'll be toned down from their previous incarnations - two sexist, bigoted bachelors are a headline waiting to happen.

The rest of that lineup is just RTE dispensing social welfare.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Everything Huberman touches in the comedy space turns out to be a flop. Cant Cope Wont Cope, Threesome, Chasing Leprechauns, all flops. Also she has being going to LA for pilot season for almost eight years now and still has not landed a role. The closest she came was when she did a pilot and the show got commissioned but the director dropped her and cast a different actress instead. Her acting career has not been a success but not to worry about that when you always have RTE ready with a blank chequebook to splash out on mediocrity :rolleyes:

Striking Out was decent but despite her rather than because of her.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Red_Wake wrote: »
    I'll give Podge and Rodge a go, but I think they'll be toned down from their previous incarnations - two sexist, bigoted bachelors are a headline waiting to happen.

I'd love to see one of them go "would ya feck off with ya me too ****e".

Neeeeever gonna happen!!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Sign me up for that level of Social Welfare!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

What could go wrong in this age of outrage! :pac:

Katherine Thomas on radio 1 yesterday mentioned she was on with them a few years ago.

First question: "Well Katherine, do the curtains match the carpet?" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,742 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

steves2 wrote: »
    Moved into our new house 6 months ago and only have Netflix, couldn't even be bothered now getting a simple aerial or saorview to get Irish stations if that's the rubbish they are spending money on. What is the advantage for them of sending Tubridy to London??? He's hardly going to pick up English viewers is he? Another pot of money pi**ed into the wind, sure why not eh?

Moved 2 years ago, and bought a Freesat box. Also bought a saorview box, it rarely gets used.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,411 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Hmmmm...... lot of anger here...uhmmm ..best stay away, Bren.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭yrreg0850

I'd start smaller. Do we really need two fecking orchestras!!!

Definately scrap the orchestras.
    A really annoying thing is the Add "Love YOUR orchestra".

As we rarely see any of the orchestras outside the M50.
    "YOUR" orchestra only applies within the M50 and not to the majority of licence payers .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,313 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

What could go wrong in this age of outrage! :pac:

Katherine Thomas on radio 1 yesterday mentioned she was on with them a few years ago.

First question: "Well Katherine, do the curtains match the carpet?" :D

And if I remember correctly, she answered with 'the eyebrows match'.

But their type of humour is horribly dated and all a bit 'Carry On'-which was fine in the Carry on days, but ever since I saw Mitchell and Webb's hilarious skewering of it, I just think...yeah, it's ancient.
    I guarantee this show will just be a lazy and boring, and they'll be trying to 'fix' it after a few months.
    Striking Out was decent but despite her rather than because of her.

I tried to watch it-well, one episode-and it was the usual Rte half baked idea. Then throw in stuff where it's trying to be edgy, with 'Judge who smokes weed' alongside skanger with a heart of gold.

Other Board users noted that from a law point of view, it was pretty flawed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

yrreg0850 wrote: »

"YOUR" orchestra only applies within the M50 and not to the majority of licence payers .

Those feckin orchestras, two of them FFS. As pointed out by Atlantic Dawn waaay back in this thread-
    €11.36 (7.1%) of your annual licence fee goes towards funding the orchestra, a crazy percentage and more than RTE spends on its entire online services. The orchestra is entertainment for the few, not the many, it should be funded outside the licence fee.

http://www.thejournal.ie/rte-orchestra-licence-fee-3689617-Nov2017/
    Also the RTE Orchestra members are allowed claim flat rate expenses by Revenue of €2476 a year, the highest of any profession by far. A nurse is allowed €536 a year, a teacher €518, a plumber €205, what a great little country to live in.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/employing-people/employee-expenses/flat-rate-expense-allowances/index.aspx

https://www.revenue.ie/en/personal-tax-credits-reliefs-and-exemptions/documents/flat-rate-expenses.xls

As you say they are rarely seen outside of the M50. In fact they are rarely seen outside of Dublin 2 to be honest, they dont serve 99% of the population.

Im not against having an orchestra as such but we certainly do not need two of them. Plus they should be put in a 50 seater bus and actually bring their music to the people paying for it rather than playing the National Concert hall for the same crowd over and over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Does it really need to be a 52 piece orchestra, with conductors, directors (of all kinds)...
    Could we not just finance a trad band going round the bars doing some entertaining for the common folk?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭yrreg0850

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Those feckin orchestras, two of them FFS. As pointed out by Atlantic Dawn waaay back in this thread-

Im not against having an orchestra as such but we certainly do not need two of them. Plus they should be put in a 50 seater bus and actually bring their music to the people paying for it rather than playing the National Concert hall for the same crowd over and over again.

Totally agree

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Caspian Petite Corner

I'd be embarassed to offer this as a 'new' lineup-it's incredibly poor. Podge and Rodge's guests will just be 'was on Celeb Big Brother/ Love Island/ Strictly or Dancing with the Stars etc'.

Amy Huberman's show will get maybe two seasons, and done. And the rest...

How can you justify a license increase based on this drivel? Get lost, RTE, ya idjits.

after maybe the 2nd time, any other station would stop giving Huberman opportunities...poor actress coasting off her husbands coattails, and stop for the love of god trying to make Vogue, and the Garrity sisters things....we don't care for vain talentless Kardashian wannabes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

lot of philistinism here. Ireland already offers little in the way of fine arts compared to other countries. Anyway, the National Symphony Orchestra is leaving RTE soon https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/nch-to-take-over-national-symphony-orchestra-from-rt%C3%A9-1.3555351

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭badtoro

yrreg0850 wrote: »

How ya Ivan.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

BAI recommends RTÉ receive an additional €30M per year in annual funding from the public!! and ASAP!!!

http://www.bai.ie/en/broadcasting-authority-of-ireland-statement-on-five-year-review-of-public-funding/

RTÉ

The BAI recommends, at a minimum, that RTÉ should receive an increase in its annual public funding of €30m per annum. Given the urgency of RTɒs current funding position, the increased level of public funding recommended should be available to the broadcaster immediately.

this is far more black and white than the water charges, people should just stop paying for this muck, what will they do when people do it in serious numbers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

BAI recommends RTÉ receive an additional €30M per year in annual funding from the public!! and ASAP!!!

http://www.bai.ie/en/broadcasting-authority-of-ireland-statement-on-five-year-review-of-public-funding/

RTÉ

The BAI recommends, at a minimum, that RTÉ should receive an increase in its annual public funding of €30m per annum. Given the urgency of RTɒs current funding position, the increased level of public funding recommended should be available to the broadcaster immediately.

And an increase will be required the next time too (after salaries go up), and the time after that.
    RTE is a national disgrace. The fact that they cannot survive with the current unfair-for-what-you-get television license and advertisement revenue says a lot about the management and entitlement culture.
    Instead of getting increase funding, the operating costs should be dramatically slashed.

Maybe if RTE were not so liberally biased then the population might have some sympathy for them. Let them sink or swim. Don't throw them any more life lines.

the above hits the nail on the head, there is no issue with what they are receiving, the outrageous pay, pensions, perks , staffing levels etc are the issue. Across the whole PS, budgets should be frozen, the value for money is appalling, they would have to address that if the budgets were frozen...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

It's nepotism, it being a private club. This is borne out by the quality the organisation produces. Some 'broadcasters' come up through the ranks and they try put a show around them rather than letting some outside talent have a go. Then a lot of them go on to set up 'independent' production companies.
    Even that gameshow they had with a presenter position as the prize was rigged. Wasters.

We know they can't compete with the BBC. It's accepted, so stop being a low rent BBC with family and friends looked after for life.
    It should be 100% Irish programming. People can watch British or American shows elsewhere. Let a few up and comers have a go. They'll make a budget work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Idbatterim wrote: »
    this is far more black and white than the water charges, people should just stop paying for this muck, what will they do when people do it in serious numbers?
    There'll never be a serious protest movement against RTE. All the professional protesters who might go against them know that RTE gives them a very generous amount of airtime for their actual level of support.

There'll never be a serious protest movement against RTE. All the professional protesters who might go against them know that RTE gives them a very generous amount of airtime for their actual level of support.

yeah thats very true!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

And ironically enough, the vast majority of these professional protesters are probably not paying the €160 television tax imposed on the rest of us.

Horse sh*te

I suppose PBP are going to give them the increase? Ryan Tubbs is pals with Clare Daly? Cop on ffs..

So any protest can count on you to turn up right? ...thought as much.

Kivaro wrote: »
    And ironically enough, the vast majority of these professional protesters are probably not paying the €160 television tax imposed on the rest of us.

How so? In bed all day and out protesting?
    How the hell is the buck of this increase now passed as the elderly, sick and poor's fault? It's this 'let them eat cake' FG/FF tory PR has us were we are with the likes of RTE.

RTÉ

Quelle surprise, vested interests looking after...vested interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Idbatterim wrote: »
    the above hits the nail on the head, there is no issue with what they are receiving, the outrageous pay, pensions, perks , staffing levels etc are the issue. Across the whole PS, budgets should be frozen, the value for money is appalling, they would have to address that if the budgets were frozen...
    unfortunately thats not what happens, the big salaries and perks stay and the front line services get cut then when the purse strings ease they hire more high level staff first , absolutely crazy way to run organisations which has just created black hole after black hole.

and if that fails you overspend until the gov. cave in and give you more money and the circle starts again. needs an outsider to go in and cull form the top down .

I was at an RTE event some years ago and two of the staff were identical twins. I sh*t you not. What's the likelihood these two young go getters worked hard and both won spots working for RTE?

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

lawred2 wrote: »
    RTE's arrogance, self regarding nature and it's general pervading air of self satisfaction is summed up in two words

Nicky Byrne

Six figure salary that lad was awarded sans any demand or competition whatsoever for his services

I HATE him, the dorks in the warehouse are forever turning on 2FM. The 'music' is absolutely appalling, I can tell when I walk through the warehouse if its 2fm immediately because of the pure ****e they play. And then to have it presented by that womble just defies belief.

"Would you like to hear a joke Mary? a-ha...why did the chicken a-ha cross the road Mary?"
    "I dunno why?"
    "a-ha to get to the a-ha other side Mary a-ha..thats a good one isn't it Mary?"
    "Yea"
    "Would you get it tattooed on your arrrmmm Mary? A-ha"

Shut up you div.

Advertisement