Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

RTE-always ten years behind what's popular... or ten years behind knowing who's 'past it', you decide.

Aw jesus, this means we'll be getting a TV show with that idiot Cian Twomey next...

No, just No.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

RTE-always ten years behind what's popular... or ten years behind knowing who's 'past it', you decide.

Aw jesus, this means we'll be getting a TV show with that idiot Cian Twomey next...

No, just No.

No, you should be alright I think Tadhg Hickey is next for an RTÉ Player Original and a Christmas Special, Tadhg Hickey's Nativity. :pac:

Elmo wrote: »
    No, you should be alright I think Tadhg Hickey is next for an RTÉ Player Original and a Christmas Special, Tadhg Hickey's Nativity. :pac:

Had to google him... wouldn't even watch his videos, because I just know from the titles I hate 'em.

Had to google him... wouldn't even watch his videos, because I just know from the titles I hate 'em.

I am being sarcastic about him getting a programme ... though you never know ...

I am being sarcastic about him getting a programme ... though you never know ...

It's RTE. They'll do anything cheap as chips if they can.

Case in point, they've essentially taken the Colm and Jim Jim Quiz show (remember that miscarriage of TV- pretty much killed their careers, well, least one of them) and re-branded it as 'Home Advantage' with Jennifer Zamperelli.

Oh, and is it just me-or does the 'title' look like a complete carbon copy of that old Tim Allen sitcom, Home Improvement?

Home Advantage.

00165045-500.jpg

Home Improvement.

homeimp.jpg

• Advertisement

Are they going to keep digging up Brendan Grace every year as filler?
    6:30 pm, Bank Holiday, people at home with nothing to watch on TV... so they decide to show the 'Brendan Grace Concert' again.

He's been dead for almost 3 years. It's kind of getting ridiculous now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Brendan Grace died in July 2019.

He was a show biz trouper and an out and out gentleman.

I never met anyone who had a bad word to say about him.

elperello wrote: »

I got no issue with Grace, outside of him stealing material from other comedians.

What I do have an issue with is how RTE have reshown the tribute show multiple times since he's died, as well as reshowing the concert multiple times.

I know we're in a pandemic right now, but even before the flipping lockdown, the amount of times they showed the tribute to him was overkill.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Are they going to keep digging up Brendan Grace every year as filler?
    6:30 pm, Bank Holiday, people at home with nothing to watch on TV... so they decide to show the 'Brendan Grace Concert' again.

He's been dead for almost 3 years. It's kind of getting ridiculous now.

It was only recorded 16 months ago. How many times has it been shown already?

It was only recorded 16 months ago. How many times has it been shown already?

I believe the tribute show has been aired about 5 or 6 times, the concert usually goes hand in hand with that too.
    I believe the concert has been aired as many times, sometimes late night, other times in the middle of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

...the amount of times they showed the tribute to him was overkill.

It's Dee's big '**** you' troll on her 5th anniversary.

Ah well done Dee, well done, brilliant, brilliant, well done, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/sinn-f%C3%A9in-td-donnchadh-%C3%B3-laoghaire-settles-defamation-claim-against-rt%C3%A9-1.4530486

RTE with another 150k+ paid out to keep someone quiet. Maybe they can take it out of Joe"s salary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

retalivity wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/sinn-f%C3%A9in-td-donnchadh-%C3%B3-laoghaire-settles-defamation-claim-against-rt%C3%A9-1.4530486

RTE with another 150k+ paid out to keep someone quiet. Maybe they can take it out of Joe"s salary

Don't forget that it is our money that they are spending, so really no concern from RTE. How many TV licenses is €150K, and don't forget the legal fees; never forget the legal fees, as RTE keeps that profession busy.

Also noticed in the article above that last month RTÉ agreed to pay €20,000 to charity as a result of another bout of misinformation from them. Very nice of them to spend our money like that. But RTE are very charitable; especially if you look at the inappropriate salaries that they pay their stars and management staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

elperello wrote: »

For his portrayal of Fr Fintan Stack alone, he is a national treasure.

The problem is the number of repeats and the repeats that RTÉ air.

In a response to a complaint about You are what you eat ... RTÉ needed to point out that it had never got a complaint before about the episode before and it had been aired 6 times over the course of 18 months. That's once every 3 months... they complaint should have just been about that fact. (The series nearly every month!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Kivaro wrote: »
    Don't forget that it is our money that they are spending, so really no concern from RTE. How many TV licenses is €150K, and don't forget the legal fees; never forget the legal fees, as RTE keeps that profession busy.

Also noticed in the article above that last month RTÉ agreed to pay €20,000 to charity as a result of another bout of misinformation from them. Very nice of them to spend our money like that. But RTE are very charitable; especially if you look at the inappropriate salaries that they pay their stars and management staff.

If that happens even just 2-3 times a year, they would be better off just hiring someone who's sole job is Googling things for them before they max an ass of themselves.

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    If that happens even just 2-3 times a year, they would be better off just hiring someone who's sole job is Googling things for them before they max an ass of themselves.

Unfortunately for them, it wasn't one of their staff who said the misinformation that led to a 20,000 euro payout.

While there were apologies made-twice-it was still pretty damaging. (It happened while that Byrne wan was interviewing the guy from gript, John McGuirk).

The whole interview was a disaster, and really showed her up-which is why she got replaced.

RTE have a habit of making payouts and calling it a 'win'. Remember when Claire Byrne's producers had to pay out €3,500 quid for a defamation lawsuit, and they called it a 'win'?
    With solicitor, and barrister fees taken into account-that could easily go to Ten grand.

Paid for by the taxpayer.

Gunmonkey wrote: »

You don't understand RTÉ's over all amount of money spent on libel cases is just 1% of RTÉ total budget ever year. Sponsorship of controversial libelous material racks in far more than this and we have to give an apology which brings in even more cash, and we spend the rest on "other things".

• Registered Users Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

You don't understand RTÉ's over all amount of money spent on libel cases is just 1% of RTÉ total budget ever year. Sponsorship of controversial libelous material racks in far more than this and we have to give an apology which brings in even more cash, and we spend the rest on "other things".

Defending the indefensible

fritzelly wrote: »
    Defending the indefensible

RTÉ are committed to reducing these payments by 33%, I mean Éirígí's €20,000 could have been a lot more when you take into consideration the advertising generated, but fortunately they choose the charity route.

They are committed to more libel claims being paid to charities. This is two fold charities are cheaper to pay into and it also makes RTÉ look good.

RTÉ because.... someone you know might be libeled. :pac:

• Advertisement

How about not libelling people every month to start with, you know #truthmatters, and it wasn't just 20k

Joe Duffy alone has been responsible for several cases due to his blatant indignation at certain groups whilst lauding other criminals

fritzelly wrote: »
    How about not libelling people every month to start with, you know #truthmatters, and it wasn't just 20k

Joe Duffy alone has been responsible for several cases due to his blatant indignation at certain groups whilst lauding other criminals

You just don't understand :pac:

You know I am being sarcastic?

You just don't understand :pac:

You know I am being sarcastic?

Use the sarcastic font next time

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

RTÉ staff overwhelmingly reject planned cuts to salaries.....

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0407/1208365-rte/

Shock Horror!!!
    RTÉ staff have rejected by 87% proposals to implement a package of cuts to salaries, jobs and sick pay at the broadcaster.

The results of the ballot released this afternoon found 87% of those polled voted against the proposals and 13% voted in favour.

The cuts, estimated to be worth €8.3 million were aimed at addressing financial difficulties facing the broadcaster and formed part of RTÉ's pledge to deliver €60m in cost savings over three years.

Here's the bit where the 13% consist of Tubbers and Joe and their ilk..... telling us that at least they voted for it!!!

Did they really expect everyone to say yeah we'll be delighted to take a pay cut

Any other company would just get on and do it like the countless ones that have the past year

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭popa smurf

It would be great if they go on strike and nobody would even mis them, no young people watch RTE any more, I would love to see them gone the lot of them, the last intitled institution left standing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Incredible arrogance from the RTE staff.....bury your head in the sand.....the only solution is now to slash jobs...

Get shot of Ryan Tubridy, Joe Duffy and Ray Darcy for starters...

Get rid of rte 2 and 2fm....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Accidentally

Incredible arrogance from the RTE staff.....bury your head in the sand.....the only solution is now to slash jobs...

Get shot of Ryan Tubridy, Joe Duffy and Ray Darcy for starters...

Get rid of rte 2 and 2fm....

I'd imagine there's a lot who would like early retirement and/or a bucket load of cash to go away.

A vote for pay cuts? It's like asking a turkey to vote for Christmas :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭StevenToast

A vote for pay cuts? It's like asking a turkey to vote for Christmas :D

A vote for pay cut or a vote to slash jobs....

I think the lower paid in RTE want the big fish in RTE to carry the can more....that is, take a way bigger hit....5% off tubridy is nothing....it should be at least 50%...

...and thats still too generous

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Advertisement