Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

A vote for pay cut or a vote to slash jobs....

I think the lower paid in RTE want the big fish in RTE to carry the can more....that is, take a way bigger hit....5% off tubridy is nothing....it should be at least 50%...

...and thats still too generous

RTÉ had a number of years along with TUG to get a feasible set of cuts through. But it looked like it had been bashed out in an hour. There was no way it was going get passed the TUG's members.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

What the union want is for staff to be offered big lump sums to retire early so they are holding out for big money. They know that threatening to strike is a waste of time because no-one in their right mind would vote for it. You might as well be at home on 50% with a big lump sum coming down the track instead of being at home on strike pay with no prospect of a lump. If Dee Forbes had any spine, she'd simply tell them, it's pay cuts or the dole,same as it has been for plenty of other firms and RTE is no exception.

And keep the gravy train rolling along, can't have that indispensable "talent" poached by the BBC:

https://www.thejournal.ie/rte-staff-pay-5402998-Apr2021/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,018 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I'll start up a GoFundMe immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭Be right back

I'll start up a GoFundMe immediately.

Poor souls, I think they need financial assistance. Will definitely chip into a go fund me, or may just pay more on my TV licence, whatever comes first!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

If you don’t want to pay your licence simply “throw” your TV, or TVs, out. You only have to pay it you own a TV.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

1). The top earners being mentioned are usually contractors, and hence had no vote.
    2). The presenters bring in multiples of what they earn in advertising.
    3). This was in the main about staff who you don't see on TV or hear on radio. Semi-state employees who earn an average of just under €49k per year.
    4). The 'top earners' contribute less than 3% to the overall cost base of the company.
    5). Most of the people who complain so voraciously about RTE are the people who don't pay their TV Licence anyway, and hence should have no opinions on the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

1). The top earners being mentioned are usually contractors, and hence had no vote.
    2). The presenters bring in multiples of what they earn in advertising.
    3). This was in the main about staff who you don't see on TV or hear on radio. Semi-state employees who earn an average of just under €49k per year.
    4). The 'top earners' contribute less than 3% to the overall cost base of the company.
    5). Most of the people who complain so voraciously about RTE are the people who don't pay their TV Licence anyway, and hence should have no opinions on the matter.

Hi Tubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Is there a reason why all the top earners who seem to be contractors rather than employees can't just be offered a much lower contract when it comes around for renegotiations ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

I am happy to pay my licence but for the love of god RTE are a joke, they need to show some semblance of independence from the government, between the virtue signalling, being a government mouthpiece and Ryan Turbridy its not exactly value for money

• Advertisement

Kivaro wrote: »
    Hi Tubs.

Good one!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

im not paying my tv licence,
    F*cked it into a skip yesterday.
    Govt. propaganda and ****e content.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I got most of the way through reading this and said, how the hell could they reject this soft a deal for them, then I got to "the temporary cuts " These measures were only until 2023 FFS... What a pack of arrogant assh*les

I am thoroughly glad I have never paid a tv license, fcuk them.

It's always funny how some of the least heard voices in a society are so in favour of getting rid of a vital tenet of democracy like a public service broadcaster. The marginalised, the eccentric, the deluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

im not paying my tv licence,
    F*cked it into a skip yesterday.
    Govt. propaganda and ****e content.

Would you not just sell it or give it away on adverts instead of the skip.bit dramatic

• Registered Users Posts: 16,254 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

If you don’t want to pay your licence simply “throw” your TV, or TVs, out. You only have to pay it you own a TV.

My tv identifies as a radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

And keep the gravy train rolling along, can't have that indispensable "talent" poached by the BBC:

https://www.thejournal.ie/rte-staff-pay-5402998-Apr2021/

€160m in wages each year.

For what. For who?

What in blue blazes do we get for that??

Divided by 4m to account for a potential viewing public, that's already €40 each we pay in taxes to fund the talentless shower in RTE.

How much is a tv license then, like 80 quid? What a rip off. I'll watch netflix on my laptop thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,467 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Stovepipe wrote: »
    What the union want is for staff to be offered big lump sums to retire early so they are holding out for big money. They know that threatening to strike is a waste of time because no-one in their right mind would vote for it. You might as well be at home on 50% with a big lump sum coming down the track instead of being at home on strike pay with no prospect of a lump. If Dee Forbes had any spine, she'd simply tell them, it's pay cuts or the dole,same as it has been for plenty of other firms and RTE is no exception.

You could have sommit there Stove.

Goggins of Monkstown better get a few extra taps in. .....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

It's always funny how some of the least heard voices in a society are so in favour of getting rid of a vital tenet of democracy like a public service broadcaster. The marginalised, the eccentric, the deluded.

Mary Lou and Paul Murphy get loads of airtime on RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Sounds like you were one of the folks who rejected the idea.

Well I pay my license and I'd like to see someone like Mick O Leary go in there and show those twats how to turn things around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

For what. For who?

Divided by 4m to account for a potential viewing public, that's already €40 each we pay in taxes to fund the talentless shower in RTE.

How much is a tv license then, like 80 quid? What a rip off. I'll watch netflix on my laptop thanks.

If you are paying 80 quid for the TV license, then you need to cover half of your television with newspaper. :pac:

For what. For who?

Engineers, IT staff, journalists, editors, legal, HR, archivists etc etc. I presume it's all in the annual report.

Then RTE's overall costs contribute to thousands of indirect jobs in production companies etc around the country.

I'm not saying RTE doesn't need reform, but the idea that all this is down to Tubs, Duffy, and O'Callaghan is the type of pipe dream that comes from people with far too much time on this hands. It shows a gross ignorance of the realities of running a large public-facing company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭phonypony

For what. For who?

Don't forget, if we actually ever wanted to watch anything, listen to anything or access the website, all that advertising we would be subjected to after having already funded all of this. Only to be met with what should be an impartial organisation, with agendas coming out its nose, an online player that isn't fit for purpose and plenty of jobs for the boys...

If they had one tenth the quality of output of the BBC I'd be happy to pay the fee. But it leaves a bitter taste to hand it over knowing how badly they will mismanage it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

But I use my TV as my screen for work. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

My tv identifies as a radio.

If it can “receive” a tv signal it requires a licence.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Floppybits wrote: »
    But I use my TV as my screen for work. :(

Just on the off chance that anyone thinks there is a loophole here I'd like to point out that it doesn't matter who owns the TV or what it is used for if it is in your house you need a licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭athlone573

elperello wrote: »
    Just on the off chance that anyone thinks there is a loophole here I'd like to point out that it doesn't matter who owns the TV or what it is used for if it is in your house you need a licence.

"if you have a TV you need a TV licence. IT THE LAW"

Thanks for the reminder. In fairness I think we are getting better value here for 15 odd Euro a month from RTE than from Netflix these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Won't take cuts? Fine, lay off a third of the "talent" and use the extra money to lower the licence fee.

Scrap the TV license

• Advertisement

Scrap the TV license

I agree. It's too costly to collect, and there's about 20% of the population who don't pay it. Just implement the broadcasting tax, and deduct it at source. Increase the fee as well, and increase funding for local radio, independent productions, and TG4.

Advertisement