Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,775 ✭✭✭buried

Still, giving out on the internet seems to be more effective.

Don't worry dude, I took part in the thing but I can bet you my house and entire possessions that the few basic measures I wanted to see happen have more chance of happening than a banshee clambering down my chimney this very minute and giving me a lapdance in my living room.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

buried wrote: »
    Don't worry dude, I took part in the thing but I can bet you my house and entire possessions that the few basic measures I wanted to see happen have more chance of happening than a banshee clambering down my chimney this very minute and giving me a lapdance in my living room

The thing about consultations is that they take a snapshot of public opinion instead of just listening to your opinion. As humbling as that might be.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,254 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Writing's on the wall for RTE. A dinosaur of an organisation.

But it keeps coming back from the brink of extinction miraculously.

The thing about consultations is that they take a snapshot of public opinion instead of just listening to your opinion. As humbling as that might be.

Yeah because the entire scope of the country is totally fine with lads basically only qualified to pull balls out of a lotto machine in receipt of yearly salaries of 500,000 euros. Its only little old me that has a problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Eh, we have a broadcasting authority, dude. They are always having public consultations. Check out their website. You can write a philosophical essay on RTE if you like and they’ll read it.

And this. This closed a fortnight ago.

https://www.rte.ie/eile/2021/0209/1196058-have-your-say-about-rte/

RTÉ is preparing a new Public Service Statement – this will be our commitment to you, the audience. We want to understand what you think about RTÉ and what you want from it. Your views will guide what we will do over the years ahead.

All opinions are welcome, whether you regularly consume RTÉ's television, radio or online services, or whether you don't. The survey will remain open for five weeks, until Sunday 21st March 2021.

Still, giving out on the internet seems to be more effective.

This was brought up on another thread, and it looks like a good few from here (me included) took part. The questions were structured to only allow for the answers rte wanted. No real.opinions will be gathered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,018 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I'm sure the BBC and Channel 4 would fight to get Tubs with his misery slot, "Have you any Irish ancestry?" and rigid "stick to the questions" style of interview technique.

Graham Norton and Jonathan Ross must be biting their nails hoping more money is thrown at RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

RTE should be modelled based on the opinions of men in their 30’s and 40’s.

Why not

We pay for the fcuking thing

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Yeah because the entire scope of the country is totally fine with lads basically only qualified to pull balls out of a lotto machine in receipt of yearly salaries of 500,000 euros. Its only little old me that has a problem with it.

A little exaggeration perhaps but no matter, you are definitely not alone but most likely in a minority.

That's not to deny you your right to speak your opinion but a little context is no harm.

There is another long running thread about RTE on this very forum where the vast majority of posters have little time for our national broadcaster.

In the poll attached to that thread only 29.56% want to scrap RTE altogether.

I think there is broad support for a PBS among most of the population.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Ah now, if boards reflected “real life” then Peter Casey would be president and Michael O’Leary would be running every public service.

a man can dream....

McGaggs wrote: »
    This was brought up on another thread, and it looks like a good few from here (me included) took part. The questions were structured to only allow for the answers rte wanted. No real.opinions will be gathered.

I did it too and there were sections where you could write in your own free range opinions.

• Advertisement

elperello wrote: »
    In the poll attached to that thread only 29.56% want to scrap RTE altogether.

And remind us all there what the percentage ratio on that poll concerning reducing salaries is, elprello?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Buying shows and putting them on in the middle of the night so Virgin can't show them is one very obvious waste of money,

I did it too and there were sections where you could write in your own free range opinions.

We don't want to be writing stuff that won't even be read let alone taken seriously, what is needed is an open public citizen forum discourse that takes into account our concerns and is recorded by outside agencies that have no affiliation to the RTE organisation. What's not to like? You want 'change' right?

And remind us all there what the percentage ratio on that poll concerning reducing salaries is, elprello?

27.40% just wanting to reduce salaries.

Link to thread for clarity - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057868730&page=463

I don't believe reducing salaries will really improve matters.

27.40% just wanting to reduce salaries.

Link to thread for clarity - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057868730&page=463

I don't believe reducing salaries will really improve matters.

27% plus another 39% that want salaries reduced along with the number of channels and 'services' which I have no problem with either. Add that percentage to the 29% that want it totally scraped, it doesn't look too good now does it?

How do you mean that reducing salaries won't improve matters? You think they should be further increased?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Sounds like you were one of the folks who rejected the idea.

Well I pay my license and I'd like to see someone like Mick O Leary go in there and show those twats how to turn things around.

given he doesn't have experience of running a media organisation then he won't be showing anyone anything.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Eh no.. How about they let RTE survive or fall on its own merits or implement a subscription service so those who DO want to fund it can pay for it.

Probably because RTE wouldn't survive unless they can force people to pay.

I pay the licence but the only way I'd be happy is if they scrapped RTE 2 and most of the radio stations and stopped trying to compete with the BBC and Sky in the entertainment stakes for things we've all probably seen elsewhere anyway.

Limit it to news, current affairs, cultural programming (not including stupid home makeover shows or Irish versions of UK/US talent shows) and domestic sports or sports featuring Irish international teams.

Do that at half the current license fee and I don't think anyone would have an issue and compliance would be a lot higher.

you are not going to get news, current affairs and cultural program at half the license fee, it's just not deliverable given they are the most expensive programs to make.
    you certainly aren't going to get such programming while expecting the broadcaster to survive or fall on it's own merrits, and implementing a nonsense subscription model is unviable as nobody is going to pay for content they once received for free.
    there are only 2 ways you get the broadcaster you want, a high license fee or funded from general taxation.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

We don't want to be writing stuff that won't even be read let alone taken seriously, what is needed is an open public citizen forum discourse that takes into account our concerns and is recorded by outside agencies that have no affiliation to the RTE organisation. What's not to like? You want 'change' right?

If you didn't want to take part in that process that is your right and I respect that.

I didn't say it was the sort of process we need I was just stating my experience of using it.

I have posted many times in support of a Public Broadcasting Service and I think most people want that.

Change without clear direction will not give us the result we deserve.

If you didn't want to take part in that process that is your right and I respect that.

I didn't say it was the sort of process we need I was just stating my experience of using it.

I have posted many times in support of a Public Broadcasting Service and I think most people want that.

Change without clear direction will not give us the result we deserve.

I did take part in it elp, but as I have said, what I and the vast majority of people want, that won't be acknowledged, let alone listened to. I want a PBS too, but I want to see it based more on the framework done by TG4, they have no problem setting up their service and they do it on a shoestring budget compared to RTE.
    The result we deserve is what we want. And people are sick to death of paying ridiculous amounts of taxpayers money into an organisation that somehow in its own head thinks that it is a branch of Hollywood on a tiny island, a island where funds are lacking in other and more important vital public service areas.

27% plus another 39% that want salaries reduced along with the number of channels and 'services' which I have no problem with either. Add that percentage to the 29% that want it totally scraped, it doesn't look too good now does it?

How do you mean that reducing salaries won't improve matters? You think they should be further increased?

My point was that even in a thread where most of the posts were to put it mildly anti RTE to get only 29% wanting it scrapped was a bit of a result.

It indicates to me that there is broad support among the general public for a PBS.

Piecemeal solutions like cutting salaries, reducing services and selling things off will only serve to reduce the viability of the service without providing a vision of what we actually want.

My point was that even in a thread where most of the posts were to put it mildly anti RTE to get only 29% wanting it scrapped was a bit of a result.

It indicates to me that there is broad support among the general public for a PBS.

Piecemeal solutions like cutting salaries, reducing services and selling things off will only serve to reduce the viability of the service without providing a vision of what we actually want.

What sort of change would you like to see happen elp?

• Advertisement

I did take part in it elp, but as I have said, what I and the vast majority of people want, that won't be acknowledged, let alone listened to. I want a PBS too, but I want to see it based more on the framework done by TG4, they have no problem setting up their service and they do it on a shoestring budget compared to RTE.
    The result we deserve is what we want. And people are sick to death of paying ridiculous amounts of taxpayers money into an organisation that somehow in its own head thinks that it is a branch of Hollywood on a tiny island, a island where funds are lacking in other and more important vital public service areas.

Sorry I took you up wrong when you said you didn't want to be writing stuff.

I get it that you had little faith in the process.

We seem to want the same thing but we each have our own interpretation of what a good PBS would look like.

That's not really a problem and I'm sure you don't expect any future PBS to perfectly suit your requirements any more than I expect it to perfectly suit mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Iv never paid for a tv licence in all my years. It actually never came into my head to buy one. I promise not to change

Sorry I took you up wrong when you said you didn't want to be writing stuff.

I get it that you had little faith in the process.

We seem to want the same thing but we each have our own interpretation of what a good PBS would look like.

That's not really a problem and I'm sure you don't expect any future PBS to perfectly suit your requirements any more than I do.

No problem at all elp, but I really am interested to hear what sort of changes you would like to see. Because, and I might myself be taking you up totally wrong here, but it really seems to me like you don't actually want any sort of change whatsoever? Sorry now if that isn't the case, but I'd be genuinely interested to hear what changes you would like from our PSB, if any?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

RTE should ask their DB pension fund for a bailout all problems would be solved.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭The DayDream

I've never paid it but I'm going for a job in RTE, sounds like a great place to work and then all you unwashed plebs can pay my wages.

Why can't we just legalize marijuana and fund RTE off that? Tho I don't think even stoners watch it, it's that crap.

What sort of change would you like to see happen elp?

In terms of programming I know that my tastes are not mainstream so I wouldn't like to be prescriptive in that regard.

I recognise that any PBS that put on programmes just to suit me would not do well.

I like a full news bulletin at 6pm all through the year.

As for peoples salaries and conditions I would like to see all employees getting the going rate for their job. As a taxpayer I'd like to see value for money. Ultimately though those matters would be dealt with by management negotiating with unions and agents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

I took part in the RTÉ survey from a few pages back.
    I found that the questions were incredibly limited and leading, and there was little to no opportunity for objective criticism or honest feedback.

Not tinfoil-hat wearing feedback, but constructive feedback. There was too much 'sentiment' questions that will do little to change or gauge feedback.

"I believe that programming should be high quality"
    "I believe that programming should be for all"

Hard to disagree with any of that. You're hardly going to say 'strongly disagree' to them. It struck me as an opportunity for them to use sentiment to justify things.

In terms of programming I know that my tastes are not mainstream so I wouldn't like to be prescriptive in that regard.

I'm the same. I'd like to see more experimental independent music being showcased, RTE used to provide that through shows such as 'No disco', which were very popular and remembered with high regard by the vast majority of Irish music fans, but that's totally gone now. But sure you can tell us here at least what your tastes are and we can all maybe then see if your tastes are somewhat mainstream, and discuss that, as opposed to what RTE currently deems or dictates our tastes to be and therefore 'mainstream' such as shows where Davy Fitzgerald is roaring at a family to swim faster through a boghole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

You seem to be ignoring the 39.75% (that are probably more representative of the country) that want massive reform in there.

Your agenda looks to be very pro household device charge or for it to be funded by direct central taxation which would would really suit RTE down to the ground as people would not be asking themselves once a year - "why am I paying these useless ****'s €160 pa?"

The buck stops with Forbesy. She is there 5 years and has pulled the guts of €2m for her services. What has she done there to justify this remuneration?

• Advertisement

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »
    You seem to be ignoring the 39.75% (that are probably more representative of the country) that want massive reform in there.

Your agenda looks to be very pro household device charge or for it to be funded by direct central taxation which would would really suit RTE down to the ground as people would not be asking themselves once a year - "why am I paying these useless ****'s €160 pa?"

The buck stops with Forbesy. She is there 5 years and has pulled the guts of €2m for her services. What has she done there to justify this remuneration?

I posted a link to the full poll for anyone interested to check up so I'm hardly ignoring it.

To be frank most of the reduce this, cut that, sell something off posing as reform is hard to address constructively so I usually let it pass.

I want a sustainable future for a PBS in Ireland not to impose my notions of how to run RTE on anybody.

I definitely did not say I support a device charge nor is it on my "agenda".

I clearly said that I prefer the direct taxation model and yes it would avoid all the complaining about paying. That's one of the advantages, others include no evasion and no collection costs.

The job is one for the politicians. They need to make policy to be delivered by the DG, either the current one or a new incumbent.

Advertisement