Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

buried wrote: »
    I'm the same. I'd like to see more experimental independent music being showcased, RTE used to provide that through shows such as 'No disco', which were very popular and remembered with high regard by the vast majority of Irish music fans, but that's totally gone now. But sure you can tell us here at least what your tastes are and we can all maybe then see if your tastes are somewhat mainstream, and discuss that, as opposed to what RTE currently deems or dictates our tastes to be and therefore 'mainstream' such as shows where Davy Fitzgerald is roaring at a family to swim faster through a boghole.

Music programmes can be very "marmite" but I do like to see new talent showcased.

Is that what Davy is shouting about?

I can definitely confirm that I have never watched that programme but I heard the promos for it which was quite enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,775 ✭✭✭buried

elperello wrote: »
    Music programmes can be very "marmite" but I do like to see new talent showcased.

Is that what Davy is shouting about?

I can definitely confirm that I have never watched that programme but I heard the promos for it which was quite enough.

Well, another of the things I wanted to say in that online RTE survey open to the public was the shocking lack/non existence of programming of an artistic nature currently on the RTE television channels. Its not that difficult to find one competent artist/painter on this island out of the thousands that currently live here that could be involved with a television show that could maybe showcase their artistic skills in painting the fantastic Irish landscape, showcasing that skill, showcasing the landscape while at the same time educating or encouraging other people that are watching to take up the same artistic skill/hobby. Bob Ross is internationally known for this type of relaxing, informative and cost effective type of show. This kind of show would be hugely beneficial to the public in a proper PSB effort and totally cost effective. But literally no sort of show exists on any of the RTE channels.

What would you like to see on RTE that currently isn't there, elp?

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

buried wrote: »
    Well, another of the things I wanted to say in that online RTE survey open to the public was the shocking lack/non existence of programming of an artistic nature currently on the RTE television channels. Its not that difficult to find one competent artist/painter on this island out of the thousands that currently live here that could be involved with a television show that could maybe showcase their artistic skills in painting the fantastic Irish landscape, showcasing that skill, showcasing the landscape while at the same time educating or encouraging other people that are watching to take up the same artistic skill/hobby. Bob Ross is internationally known for this type of relaxing, informative and cost effective type of show. This kind of show would be hugely beneficial to the public in a proper PSB effort and totally cost effective. But literally no sort of show exists on any of the RTE channels.

What would you like to see on RTE that currently isn't there, elp?

Nationwide sometimes covers this type of thing but it's not the same as a dedicated show. I take your point and agree it would make an interesting if minority slot.

Speaking of Nationwide they have been doing some very good stuff lately.

Formula One is something I'd like but that's just dreaming for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭lau1247

If I'm forced to pay it (which I'm just because of having a 'signal receiving' tv set).

The least they could do is fix that god awful app.

- It plays flipping adverts every time I switch channel, they should at least give the courtesy for those who have paid for the license to avoid seeing adverts (like youtube premium).
    - Sometimes it allow you to wind back to the start of program but sometimes that option is not there at all.
    - Sap battery like no others, it is the only app on my phone that cause the phone to heat up during normal usage.
    - Doesn't have Picture in picture option, the stream stop as soon as you switch app and when you come back to it, the adverts rolls again.

If they can fix those, were already getting half the value there alone.

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

A little exaggeration perhaps but no matter, you are definitely not alone but most likely in a minority.

That's not to deny you your right to speak your opinion but a little context is no harm.

There is another long running thread about RTE on this very forum where the vast majority of posters have little time for our national broadcaster.

In the poll attached to that thread only 29.56% want to scrap RTE altogether.

I think there is broad support for a PBS among most of the population.

We absolutely need a public broadcasting service but not in the state that RTE is currently in. Lose RTE2 or change it to a sport/kids/movie channel. Lose 2fm as there are multiple stations around the country doing the same thing. Salaries for the high profile presenters have to be capped and the organisation needs to be trimmed and managed in a way that it doesn't solely rely on the TV licence and a yearly hike to get it out of financial strife. Sell off land and move from where they are too.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Marty Bird wrote: »
    RTE should ask their DB pension fund for a bailout all problems would be solved.

Since their top presenters are so good at bringing in revenue, it'd be a great investment for the scheme.

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »

Your agenda looks to be very pro household device charge or for it to be funded by direct central taxation which would would really suit RTE down to the ground as people would not be asking themselves once a year - "why am I paying these useless ****'s €160 pa?"

My brother who doesn't own a TV, and is entirely unaware of anything that happens on rte is appalled whenever someone tells him that the government is looking into this.

lau1247 wrote: »
    If I'm forced to pay it (which I'm just because of having a 'signal receiving' tv set).

The least they could do is fix that god awful app.

- It plays flipping adverts every time I switch channel, they should at least give the courtesy for those who have paid for the license to avoid seeing adverts (like youtube premium).
    - Sometimes it allow you to wind back to the start of program but sometimes that option is not there at all.
    - Sap battery like no others, it is the only app on my phone that cause the phone to heat up during normal usage.
    - Doesn't have Picture in picture option, the stream stop as soon as you switch app and when you come back to it, the adverts rolls again.

If they can fix those, were already getting half the value there alone.

The player is so bad that even my wife will talk about how it's pointless to try. I gave it a go last week on a Samsung TV and, to my amazement, it actually worked. Only one add before programmes (not in UHD either) and the show actually started. It took a while (4/5 minutes) for the picture to improve, but it worked.

Last time I tried was a few months ago, and we just ended up using a VPN to watch normal people on the BBC iPlayer (or was it YouTube?).

I agree. It's too costly to collect, and there's about 20% of the population who don't pay it. Just implement the broadcasting tax, and deduct it at source. Increase the fee as well, and increase funding for local radio, independent productions, and TG4.

Yeah, just increase the load on john Q Taxpayer, as per usual, sure we can squeeze a few more shillings out of them, they never complain anyway. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I agree. It's too costly to collect, and there's about 20% of the population who don't pay it. Just implement the broadcasting tax, and deduct it at source. Increase the fee as well, and increase funding for local radio, independent productions, and TG4.

I'm always uncomfortable with these assertions of people not paying the licence fee. Rte always assume anyone who doesn't pay is evading the fee. They can't seem to accept that some people don't have a TV and don't use any rte services.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

yabadabado wrote: »
    Is there a reason why all the top earners who seem to be contractors rather than employees can't just be offered a much lower contract when it comes around for renegotiations ?

It works for both sides. The "talent" sells his/her services to the station via his/her company and they negotiate a rate for doing x hours per week and presenting a show, as well as other stuff like TV specials like election coverage and one-offs like going to the Ploughing Championships and soon. They also agree to "soft" interviews in the RTE Guide and other favourable promotional stuff. The "talent" pays himself/herself thru their company as directors so it's considerably cheaper than paying PAYE,etc. and they can write off stuff via the company. They can also "employ" their family members, even if they do **** all. It suits RTE because it's company-to-company and the talent is not on their books as an employee. It's also non-union,so there's no issue about strikes/work to rule,etc. Both sides understand that either side can dispense with the other if they no longer need them. If the talent wants to run a production company, it doesn't interfere with RTE's own operations,for practical,legal or tax purposes. So,the talent's production company can, if the person is held in good standing, get favourable nods to make programmes for RTE or host events for RTE. So,the talent can "work" for RTE and not any other station but can have a nixer running away in the background,such as a production company. It's not illegal or immoral,just convenience for all sides and you don't have to engage with troublesome unions or inconvenient things like actually serving the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I posted a link to the full poll for anyone interested to check up so I'm hardly ignoring it.

To be frank most of the reduce this, cut that, sell something off posing as reform is hard to address constructively so I usually let it pass.

I want a sustainable future for a PBS in Ireland not to impose my notions of how to run RTE on anybody.

I definitely did not say I support a device charge nor is it on my "agenda".

I clearly said that I prefer the direct taxation model and yes it would avoid all the complaining about paying. That's one of the advantages, others include no evasion and no collection costs.

The job is one for the politicians. They need to make policy to be delivered by the DG, either the current one or a new incumbent.

Should we give more money to a non-reforming public service broadcaster? Over the last 10 years not just Dee Forbes but also Noel Curran, little has been done to change RTÉ in any substantial way. Both continued to give out about the people not paying the license either from evasion or from avoidance. That about as much as either did over the last decade.

Nationwide is made up of many many many repeats, and while is does attract a wide audience RTÉ should be there for minority tastes also, this is part of RTÉ remit as a public service broadcaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,254 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Late Late has another Country music special tomorrow night, never had one of those before.
    Yay for diversity!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Late Late has another Country music special tomorrow night, never had one of those before.
    Yay for diversity!

Again? But they only had one of those a few months ago...

No wonder he's getting slapped around in the ratings by the Tommy Tiernan show.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭rightmove

when are they having another brendan grace special so he can tell us about florida.

rightmove wrote: »
    when are they having another brendan grace special so he can tell us about florida.

Remember that gawd awful show Tubridy presented, years back? All kinds of Everything?

He had Mario Rosenstock behind an image of a 'celeb', where Mario's mouth was super imposed over the photo as he did a terrible impression of them.

They could just do that-get a photo of Brendan, superimpose Mario's mouth over it.
    Doesn't matter if it's in horrible taste-never stopped RTE before.

Remember that gawd awful show Tubridy presented, years back? All kinds of Everything?

He had Mario Rosenstock behind an image of a 'celeb', where Mario's mouth was super imposed over the photo as he did a terrible impression of them.

They could just do that-get a photo of Brendan, superimpose Mario's mouth over it.
    Doesn't matter if it's in horrible taste-never stopped RTE before.

like a hologram ...like they did for Rob Orbison except we'd do it for brendan grace. Butler would be great as a hologram. We could do it for Gerry Ryan also. Bonnie and Lottie and Snottie would love it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I see RTÉ are already repeating the show about going to Iceland to watch the whales, first broadcast on Easter Sunday..... a whole 5 days ago....

#primetime

Elmo wrote: »
    Should we give more money to a non-reforming public service broadcaster? Over the last 10 years not just Dee Forbes but also Noel Curran, little has been done to change RTÉ in any substantial way. Both continued to give out about the people not paying the license either from evasion or from avoidance. That about as much as either did over the last decade.

Nationwide is made up of many many many repeats, and while is does attract a wide audience RTÉ should be there for minority tastes also, this is part of RTÉ remit as a public service broadcaster.

I think we should decide the nature of the reform first.

As for DF and NC, it's a bit reductive to say that's all they did.

As I said there was some good new stuff on Nationwide lately that's not to disagree with your point about minority tastes.

• Advertisement

I see RTÉ are already repeating the show about going to Iceland to watch the whales, first broadcast on Easter Sunday..... a whole 5 days ago....

#primetime

The women's football team were playing Denmark tonight.

You wouldn't know that tho-it was 'exclusive' to the RTE player.

You're telling me they couldn't show that on RTE 2?

#primetime

Repeated already!. Actually thought that program was excellent. The bit where they saw that other boat beside the whales and the engines on and them bitching under their breath. I love to have been on board. Woulda shouted over to them "hey bjork turn off the engine" . that would have been a nice opener for ten i think

rightmove wrote: »
    Repeated already!. Actually thought that program was excellent. The bit where they saw that other boat beside the whales and the engines on and them bitching under their breath. I love to have been on board. Woulda shouted over to them "hey bjork turn off the engine" . that would have been a nice opener for ten i think

RTÉ generally repeat their Sunday night 9:30 programme on RTÉ2 at 7 on Thursday night. This has been the case since the Voice AFAIK.

Last 2 years RTÉ2 have shown Special Forces on Tuesdays at 9:30 followed by a repeat on Wednesdays at 10:30

The same show twice in prime time on the same channel. RTÉ2 has become nothing more than VIRGIN MEDIA FOUR.

Emmerdale, Corrie, Eastenders and many other shows are cancelled tonight, on account of Prince Phillip dying.

Wonder what RTE will repeat again? (As for Virgin Media One, I expect they'll repeat the Cube).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Emmerdale, Corrie, Eastenders and many other shows are cancelled tonight, on account of Prince Phillip dying.

Wonder what RTE will repeat again? (As for Virgin Media One, I expect they'll repeat the Cube).

Nothing can stop the LLS country special going ahead...alas

fritzelly wrote: »
    Nothing can stop the LLS country special going ahead...alas

Always found this clip funny. Applies to Prince Charles, but it works every time a royal dies.

And yes... the country special HAS to go ahead... because its the only thing guaranteed to get Ryan an audience.

He can't do a Xmas Toy show in May, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Reeling in the years of course, you shouldn't even have ask at this stage.

🙈🙉🙊

I think we should decide the nature of the reform first.

As for DF and NC, it's a bit reductive to say that's all they did.

As I said there was some good new stuff on Nationwide lately that's not to disagree with your point about minority tastes.

So first we should decide the nature of the reform. Should this reform be dictated to RTÉ and if they don't carry out the reform then they should return the money provided?

Nationwide is a 3 day week show, I didn't say that nationwide does not have new content on a weekly basis. I am pointing out that the programmes have become dotted with repeat showings of reports.
    Over the last 10 years not just Dee Forbes but also Noel Curran, little has been done to change RTÉ in any substantial way. Both continued to give out about the people not paying the license either from evasion or from avoidance. That about as much as either did over the last decade.

I don't know how reductive this is, RTÉ's management for the last 10 years have continually highlighted license fee evasion and avoidance. Dee Forbes actually pointed out this work by RTÉ in the last interview that she gave on The Business.

Their reforms have come as cuts in areas that should not be cut and the ringfencing of funding in areas that should have got cuts.

RTÉ over the last 10 years have given funding to 2FM to bring it back from losses and yet it has consistently failed to return it to profit or increase it popularity. At what point do you start cutting? 3 years? 4 years? a decade?

RTÉ over the last 10 years have continued to invest in ubiquitous imported programming, Dee Forbes had stated in an interview with Sinead Crowley (2 years ago) that everything is on the table as far as cuts are concerned, yet this area continues to get €25m in funding.

Then of course there is Young people's programming

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RT%C3%89_Young_People's_Programming
    In 2016 RTÉ's Two Tube (previously ID and TTV) was cancelled and did not return in the September of that year. RTÉ announced that it would move all production to independent producers. Under pressure the management team assured the public that RTÉ "is not reducing its commitment to younger people's programmes, nor its spend"[2], however they had already cut funding to children's content by 25%[3], this was then followed in 2017 with a further cut of 50% bring their total spend on Young People's content to just €3.9 million [4]. In 2018 RTÉ increased funding to €5.8 million but by 2019 had cut it back to €4.7m[5], this compares to support provided to children's content in 2010 and 2011 of €11m[6].

And of course Drama and Comedy, independent drama and comedy (including The Tommy Tiernan Show) RTÉ spent just €3.2m. Comedy, outside of TTTS, was a one of stand up show from Eyre Square in 2019. I estimate that on Drama RTÉ spend less than €2m.

So just explain what RTÉ have done over the last 10 years to combat these changes other than to consistently lobby the government and the public for more money? (As the title of this tread suggests).

Sorry for the delay replying.

I think I may have taken you up wrongly when you mentioned the performance of DF & NC over the last decade and you didn't mean in relation to actually doing the job of running RTE but were referring to reform.

Of course they have been lobbying for more funding as you say, but in the day to day running of the organisation I'm sure they have put in the hours.

I'm in danger of the broken record jibe but I'll say again that I want to see a sustainable Public Broadcasting Service paid for out of general taxation.

That's the idea I've been posting in this thread for some time. I hope it becomes a reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

And what effort is shown in putting on Only fools and horses during the week before the 1 oclock news . I mean is that all they have ffs. The shows are not even sequenced.

Absolute no interest.

Advertisement