Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Unless its Covid RTÉ News and CA has gone very light.

From very awkward staged questions to their own reporters on Prime Time (Miriam: So what will you be focusing on? (clearly she didn't want to ask that question and stuttered along it) to very light reports on competitions in a primary school or some such non-news story.

I don't agree with the news being cut to 30 would save much money. I would say that you only need one presenter for the show, while the other could provide an alternative night time news on RTÉ2.

Same goes for Nationwide, 3 presenters roaming the country to introduce reports when they could have one presenter in RTÉ Cork introducing those reports. The other 2 again could be better utilized.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Widescreen wrote: »
    RTE should make 6.01 a half hour programme with one newscaster.

Surely there would be some significant savings by doing it.

The current hour long set up is crazy waste of taxpayers money, no wonder David McCullough fancied the job!

Three people to cover the news and little or no sport.

Let’s not forget about all the reporters...... I made a list a few months ago, and admittedly have not updated it since then, so I’m sure a few new names could be added, as well as some removed.....

Tony Connolly - Europe
    Michael Lihane - Politics
    Seán MAC an tSÍTHIGH
    Pascal Sheehy - Southern
    Ingrid Miley - Industry & Employment
    Theresa Manion - West
    Paul Cunningham - Politics
    Sean Whelan - London
    George Lee - Science
    Ciaran Mullooly -
    Samantha Librairi
    Vincent Kearney - Northern Ireland
    Emma O’Kelly - Education?
    Brian O’Donovan - Washington/U.S.
    Juliet Gash
    Albha Kineally
    Eleanor Mannion
    Fran McNulty - Agriculture
    Dimitri O’Donnell
    Eamonn Horan
    Conor Kane - Southeast
    Pat McGrath - Western
    Kathy O’Halloran
    Robert Short - Economics
    Sinead Crowley
    Helen Donohue
    Conor Hunt
    Fergal O’Brien
    Sinead Hussey
    Jackie Fox
    Laura Fletcher
    Gail Conway
    Justin Treacy - Sport?
    Philip Bromwell
    Fergal Bowers - Health
    Dyane Connor
    John Kilraine
    Coleman O'Sullivan
    Joe Stack - Sport (and Kerry lotto)
    Eileen Magnier
    Adam McGuire
    Aengus Cox
    Petula Martyn
    Brian Finn
    Kate Egan
    Claire McNamara
    Tommy Mescall
    Orla O Donnell
    Sharon Gaffney
    Dave Kelly
    Paul Reynolds - Crime
    Will Goodbody - Technology
    Sharon Lynch
    Mary Regan
    Laura Hogan
    Jenny O’Sullivan
    Aoife Heggarty
    Karen Creed
    Sandra Hurley
    Philip Bromwell

If all of them are on an average salary of €50k a year...... that’s €3m - and I’d bet the average is much higher than €50k

#Bloated

Is she trying to be a Country Singer, or a TV presenter?

When there’s little to no talent there. Anything will suffice as long as it’s well paid..... and your well connected.

I remember when she first came on the scene, she was in one of the ‘biggest’ girl bands that nobody had ever heard of......

Still though, at least she’s easier to look at than Nathan Carter.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Let’s not forget about all the reporters...... I made a list a few months ago, and admittedly have not updated it since then, so I’m sure a few new names could be added, as well as some removed.....

Tony Connolly - Europe
    Seán MAC an tSÍTHIGH
    Pascal Sheehy - Southern
    Theresa Manion - West
    Sean Whelan - London
    George Lee - Science
    Ciaran Mullooly -
    Samantha Librairi
    Juliet Gash
    Albha Kineally
    Eleanor Mannion
    Dimitri O’Donnell
    Eamonn Horan
    Conor Kane - Southeast
    Pat McGrath - Western
    Kathy O’Halloran
    Robert Short - Economics
    Sinead Crowley
    Helen Donohue
    Conor Hunt
    Fergal O’Brien
    Sinead Hussey
    Jackie Fox
    Laura Fletcher
    Gail Conway
    Justin Treacy - Sport?
    Philip Bromwell
    Fergal Bowers - Health
    Dyane Connor
    John Kilraine
    Coleman O'Sullivan
    Eileen Magnier
    Adam McGuire
    Aengus Cox
    Petula Martyn
    Brian Finn
    Kate Egan
    Claire McNamara
    Tommy Mescall
    Orla O Donnell
    Sharon Gaffney
    Dave Kelly
    Paul Reynolds - Crime
    Sharon Lynch
    Mary Regan
    Laura Hogan
    Jenny O’Sullivan
    Aoife Heggarty
    Karen Creed
    Sandra Hurley
    Philip Bromwell

If all of them are on an average salary of €50k a year...... that’s €3m - and I’d bet the average is much higher than €50k

#Bloated

You can bet your bottom dollar the average salary of that group is significantly higher than €50k

You can bet your bottom dollar the average salary of that group is significantly higher than €50k

Biggest waste has always been their washington correspondent. They always seem to be missing. I haven't seen him report much on the floyd george case, instead it's reported from Dublin.

However do we expect Newsreaders only? It's daft to think that you could run a news service without paying your staff or having no staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Elmo wrote: »
    Biggest waste has always been their washington correspondent. They always seem to be missing. I haven't seen him report much on the floyd george case, instead it's reported from Dublin.

Ah good ol Brian O'Donovan. He's set for life now. Do a couple of years in Washington, return to Ireland and then straight into a co-anchor role on the six one news.

That's the way it works right?

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

Throw in generous expenses as well, I’d imagine.

Throw in generous expenses as well, I’d imagine.

especially god forbid they have to work outside of 9 to 5 hours.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

RTE's response to an Irish eye-witness to John Lennon's shooting is still legendary among journalists. :)

Regards...jmcc

Thankfully the news airs at 6pm and 9pm :confused:

• Advertisement

jmcc wrote: »
    RTE's response to an Irish eye-witness to John Lennon's shooting is still legendary among journalists. :)

Regards...jmcc

tell us :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Tony Connolly - Europe
    Seán MAC an tSÍTHIGH
    Pascal Sheehy - Southern
    Theresa Manion - West
    Sean Whelan - London
    George Lee - Science
    Ciaran Mullooly -
    Samantha Librairi
    Juliet Gash
    Albha Kineally
    Eleanor Mannion
    Dimitri O’Donnell
    Eamonn Horan
    Conor Kane - Southeast
    Pat McGrath - Western
    Kathy O’Halloran
    Robert Short - Economics
    Sinead Crowley
    Helen Donohue
    Conor Hunt
    Fergal O’Brien
    Sinead Hussey
    Jackie Fox
    Laura Fletcher
    Gail Conway
    Justin Treacy - Sport?
    Philip Bromwell
    Fergal Bowers - Health
    Dyane Connor
    John Kilraine
    Coleman O'Sullivan
    Eileen Magnier
    Adam McGuire
    Aengus Cox
    Petula Martyn
    Brian Finn
    Kate Egan
    Claire McNamara
    Tommy Mescall
    Orla O Donnell
    Sharon Gaffney
    Dave Kelly
    Paul Reynolds - Crime
    Sharon Lynch
    Mary Regan
    Laura Hogan
    Jenny O’Sullivan
    Aoife Heggarty
    Karen Creed
    Sandra Hurley
    Philip Bromwell

#Bloated

Will Goodbody no longer does technology, 3 years ago he became RTE's business editor.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

When there’s little to no talent there. Anything will suffice as long as it’s well paid..... and your well connected.

I remember when she first came on the scene, she was in one of the ‘biggest’ girl bands that nobody had ever heard of......

Still though, at least she’s easier to look at than Nathan Carter.

Aye, I remember The Saturdays were one of those bands that you just went 'I think I've heard of them... or was that the Sugababes?'

I'd say she's getting some gigs out of 'pity' tbqh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

tell us :pac:
    Eye-witness rings RTE having just witnessed John Lennon being shot. This was a global news story at the time. Some RTE jobsworth said that RTE's own reporter would cover it in the next few days.

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

jmcc wrote: »
    Eye-witness rings RTE having just witnessed John Lennon being shot. This was a global news story at the time. Some RTE jobsworth said that RTE's own reporter would cover it in the next few days.

Regards...jmcc

And then Mark Chapman hung up, and RTE lost the scoop of the century.

Kivaro wrote: »
    And then Mark Chapman hung up, and RTE lost the scoop of the century.

No Mark Chapman was RTÉ Washington correspondent back then. Only he was on one of those very long breaks that most RTÉ Washington Correspondents take and for some reason he couldn't report on the news of Lennon's murder.

Chapman had be one of the more vocal RTÉ presenters at that time but for some reason following the murder he took some "annual leave" about two weeks after that RTÉ issued a memo to the press saying

RTÉ confirms that Mark Chapman will not be returning to RTÉ News. His contract is due to expire shortly.

RTÉ is developing a new direction for the RTÉ News and its correspondents which will be revealed in the coming weeks.

RTÉ reveled the plans 10 years later saying it wasn't aware it had planned those changes.

Indeed it was reported in most Irish tabloids at the time that Mehmet Ali Agca may take up the role, but he said that it was unlikely as he was happy in his as RTÉ middle eastern Correspondent, while John Hinckley Jr. was also a suggested name but he'd say he already had plans and was happy as RTÉ NY Correspondent, though he also mention that he had be unhappy with how Chapman was hanging around, he himself was at the time interview many of the stars of the time including a young Jodie Foster.

It's all true! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭thomas 123

However do we expect Newsreaders only? It's daft to think that you could run a news service without paying your staff or having no staff.

We are a small island nation, no need for so many.

Other news outlets invite other journalists on to cover the odd international event that would happen from time to time.

It’s not like they are unbiased and therefore, in my opinion, absolutely not needed. Take the Washington guy for example - it was clear what his opinion was on Trump in every single report.

thomas 123 wrote: »
    We are a small island nation, no need for so many.

Other news outlets invite other journalists on to cover the odd international event that would happen from time to time.

It’s not like they are unbiased and therefore, in my opinion, absolutely not needed. Take the Washington guy for example - it was clear what his opinion was on Trump in every single report.

Should RTÉ only have Dublin based reporters?

I agree RTÉ could over the years could have found freelance Irish Journalists in most parts of the world to report on international issues. Even non-Irish journalists.

I think its terrible that we never really heard from the diaspora. Even just a general elections or presidential elections in countries with a high number of Irish emigrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Rte might reconsider platforming the likes of John McGuick, editor of Gript again. They seem to have a particular problem with female politicians. https://twitter.com/elisaodonovan/status/1383870030186573828?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Nice try. Next.

• Advertisement

Should RTÉ only have Dublin based reporters?

I agree RTÉ could over the years could have found freelance Irish Journalists in most parts of the world to report on international issues. Even non-Irish journalists.

I think its terrible that we never really heard from the diaspora. Even just a general elections or presidential elections in countries with a high number of Irish emigrants.

Of course not, journalism is important. Does one broadcaster need a rooster of that size though? I’m not saying get rid of them all but if money is tight I am sure they could cut 25-50% of them without us noticing.

smurgen wrote: »
    Rte might reconsider platforming the likes of John McGuick, editor of Gript again. They seem to have a particular problem with female politicians. https://twitter.com/elisaodonovan/status/1383870030186573828?s=19

I’d argue they don’t provide a fair platform for all view points to be honest - unless it’s in an effort to discredit - trump, sf etc

thomas 123 wrote: »
    Of course not, journalism is important. Does one broadcaster need a rooster of that size though? I’m not saying get rid of them all but if money is tight I am sure they could cut 25-50% of them without us noticing.

Why not utilize them better.

Between Mid-July and September RTÉ news cut down in size for no apparent reason. They did the same for 3 weeks at Christmas. Why?

Where is Brian O'Donovan? Is he on holidays and if so does he then also get from Mid-July to September?

I am not picking on B. O'D but rather their Washington Correspondents, who all go missing.

I know they are only one person but RTÉ fail to utilize them. For example Brian has gone missing for much of the George Floyd case, with report edited from Dublin.

Perhaps he is working in the background, but I'd love to know what his job actually entails, I know I am being very basic about it but I do think, what does RTÉ's Washington correspondent do? Same goes for his predecessors.

Why isn't he their North American Correspondent, surely with Brexit and CETA he should be reporting on occasion from Ottawa? or how about a report from Mexico?

smurgen wrote: »
    Rte might reconsider platforming the likes of John McGuick, editor of Gript again. They seem to have a particular problem with female politicians.

The important thing about putting someone with differing viewpoints is to bring them on tv, and completely demolish their POV.

For example, if you bring the Ku Klux Kan on TV, you get to interview them and challenge and demolish every point of view they have, to show how feeble minded and weak they are. Banning those viewpoints only enables them. The great Edward R Murrow absolutely DESTROYED Joseph McCarthy when he turned the camera on him, allowed him to speak, and also challenged him. McCarthy had nothing in retaliation. He was slapped down like a repugnant child. (Keep in mind, McCarthy was a possible contender for president... until Murrow).

When they had McGuirck on Prime Time... it highlighted how inept their presenter was (someone who literally said she was hired because of diversity-it showed that night). A better interviewer would have done their homework and challenged McGuirck.

Instead, it led to 2 apologies and a quiet firing.

The important thing about putting someone with differing viewpoints is to bring them on tv, and completely demolish their POV.

For example, if you bring the Ku Klux Kan on TV, you get to interview them and challenge and demolish every point of view they have, to show how feeble minded and weak they are. Banning those viewpoints only enables them. The great Edward R Murrow absolutely DESTROYED Joseph McCarthy when he turned the camera on him, allowed him to speak, and also challenged him. McCarthy had nothing in retaliation. He was slapped down like a repugnant child. (Keep in mind, McCarthy was a possible contender for president... until Murrow).

When they had McGuirck on Prime Time... it highlighted how inept their presenter was (someone who literally said she was hired because of diversity-it showed that night). A better interviewer would have done their homework and challenged McGuirck.

Instead, it led to 2 apologies and a quiet firing.

Or you could always get the cra cras on and admonish them for being so stupid rather then looking for any out spoke people on the other side of the debate that you could debate and poor cold water on.

Claire Byrne may as well have had

simpsons-crazy-cat-lady-01-chung-in-lam.jpg
    Debate her

:rolleyes:

Claire Byrne is trash.

Her show is dire.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,242 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

She's literally banging the drum in the Oireachtas Public Account Committee today:

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2021/0427/1212376-rte-public-accounts-committee/

The Director General of RTÉ has warned that the organisation is facing a decline in financial sustainability, relevance, and a reduction in the number of services it can provide unless changes are made to the TV licence fee system.

Appearing before the Oireachtas Public Accounts Committee this afternoon, Dee Forbes told TDs that failing revenues have already cost jobs both within RTÉ and the wider audio-visual sector.

Ms Forbes told the Committee that it is estimated licence fee evasion rose to 15% in 2020.

The number of ineligible homes, who do not own a television, also rose to an estimated 13% in the same year.

RTÉ believes that both factors have led to a loss of €50 million per annum, more than it spends on News and Current Affairs programming on RTÉ One and RTÉ Radio 1.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    She's literally banging the drum in the Oireachtas Public Account Committee today:

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2021/0427/1212376-rte-public-accounts-committee/

The Director General of RTÉ has warned that the organisation is facing a decline in financial sustainability, relevance, and a reduction in the number of services it can provide unless changes are made to the TV licence fee system.

Appearing before the Oireachtas Public Accounts Committee this afternoon, Dee Forbes told TDs that failing revenues have already cost jobs both within RTÉ and the wider audio-visual sector.

Ms Forbes told the Committee that it is estimated licence fee evasion rose to 15% in 2020.

The number of ineligible homes, who do not own a television, also rose to an estimated 13% in the same year.

RTÉ believes that both factors have led to a loss of €50 million per annum, more than it spends on News and Current Affairs programming on RTÉ One and RTÉ Radio 1.

'RTE believes'...

Dear Jesus, this is the 'Americanism' of 'speaking your truth'.

Except 'your truth' is often not 'The Truth'...

Lets look at some obvious 'fudge ups' on Dee's part. 13 percent now do not own a television. 15 percent (she claims) aren't paying the license fee.
    Subtract 13 from 15, and you get 2 percent.

So 2 percent aren't paying the license fee, but that equates to 50 million shorfall?

She's a clown if she believes this to be true.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    RTÉ believes that both factors have led to a loss of €50 million per annum, more than it spends on News and Current Affairs programming on RTÉ One and RTÉ Radio 1.[/I]

Wonder how much they spend PA on News and Current Affairs on RTÉ2 ... oh wait... they don't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,242 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

'RTE believes'...

Dear Jesus, this is the 'Americanism' of 'speaking your truth'.

Except 'your truth' is often not 'The Truth'...

Lets look at some obvious 'fudge ups' on Dee's part. 13 percent now do not own a television. 15 percent (she claims) aren't paying the license fee.
    Subtract 13 from 15, and you get 2 percent.

So 2 percent aren't paying the license fee, but that equates to 50 million shorfall?

She's a clown if she believes this to be true.

What she's saying is that 15% who are liable (i.e. they own a TV) don't pay. The other 13% is a separate group who aren't liable as they don't have a TV in the first place. Now whether that adds up to €50m is another story.

Advertisement