Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

namloc1980 wrote: »
    What she's saying is that 15% who are liable (i.e. they own a TV) don't pay. The other 13% is a separate group who aren't liable as they don't have a TV in the first place. Now whether that adds up to €50m is another story.

The estimates seem to be all guesswork at the moment. There's no definitive figures. It's like she's pulling it all out of her butt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭garrettod

SSDD from Dee (I'm baging circa €300k pa from RTE) Forbes...

http://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2021/0427/1212376-rte-public-accounts-committee/

I had to laugh when I saw mention of RTE telling the politicians that they may not be able to provide as much political coverage in the future. Hopefully the nitwits won't fall for it.

Here's a bit of simple advice for you Dee:

- get rid of the golden ten and that €3m that RTE are paying them every year.
    - confirm how many staff at RTE are getting paid over €100k per year, and specify, what function they serve. Best give them the heads up, that pay cuts are on the way.
    - Follow that by getting out of non - core broadcasting of repeat US, British and Australian programming, and sell off or close down non public service TV and /or Radio channels.
    -oh, and don't forget to cut your own remuneration package by 45%, then let's see what else needs doing at RTE.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭political analyst

garrettod wrote: »
    SSDD from Dee (I'm baging circa €300k pa from RTE) Forbes...

http://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2021/0427/1212376-rte-public-accounts-committee/

I had to laugh when I saw mention of RTE telling the politicians that they may not be able to provide as much political coverage in the future. Hopefully the nitwits won't fall for it.

Here's a bit of simple advice for you Dee:

- get rid of the golden ten and that €3m that RTE are paying them every year.
    - confirm how many staff at RTE are getting paid over €100k per year, and specify, what function they serve. Best give them the heads up, that pay cuts are on the way.
    - Follow that by getting out of non - core broadcasting of repeat US, British and Australian programming, and sell off or close down non public service TV and /or Radio channels.
    -oh, and don't forget to cut your own remuneration package by 45%, then let's see what else needs doing at RTE.

Selling RTÉ 2 is not an option because nobody would be willing to buy it. Besides, moving afternoon sporting events that may run into extra time onto RTÉ 1 would be untenable because there would be an outcry if Six-One was displaced.

Selling RTÉ 2 is not an option because nobody would be willing to buy it. Besides, moving afternoon sporting events that may run into extra time onto RTÉ 1 would be untenable because there would be an outcry if Six-One was displaced.

They tried selling the RTE guide.

Nobody wanted it. I'd say they'd have a similar problem with RTE 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭batman75

Dee Forbes first step to restoring public confidence and affection for RTE would be to cap salaries at 300k. The salaries of Joe, Ryan, Ray and Miriam are ridiculous. If they leave because of it so be it. Give other young talent a chance. Then look to have access to license fees across all media. Not before then. The globalisation of television is a glorious opportunity for RTE given our international diaspora. If they produce quality Irish interest product then they have an audience of millions outside the island for their output.
    Hive off the celebrity nonsense off their RTE website if they want it to be taken seriously as a media outlet of quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Bauer just bought Communicorp.

Sporting Events what you mean they can't use RTÉ 1 during the summer months when TODAY goes on a break or the news channel.

What what come on.

garrettod wrote: »

Oireachtas Report gone
    News ON TWO gone
    Morning TV news gone
    2FM late evening news gone

Will these be restored.

If they cannot sell RTÉ2 it should be closed.

I am absolute up to here with ****ing RTÉ they are a waste of space. And I won't take this **** any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

All I read in that news report is that it's everyone else's fault but RTE's that they are in the state they are and what are the government gonna do about it.

They've already cut so much programming and yet still can't keep their heads above water and if they think 13% of people without tv's is bad it's only gonna get worse for them

She wants everyone else to pay them more and more money while they whittle it away on cheap crap programs and crap presenters who most definitely would not stand a chance outside of Ireland

As for the self employed how is Joe Duffy et al still contracted by RTE - they are doing full time (well permanent) jobs

Elmo wrote: »
    Bauer just bought Communicorp.

Sporting Events what you mean they can't use RTÉ 1 during the summer months when TODAY goes on a break or the news channel.

What what come on.

They can't - because Six-One must be on RTÉ 1 at a minute past 6. Period! Don't pretend otherwise.

• Advertisement

If they cannot sell RTÉ2 it should be closed.

I am absolute up to here with ****ing RTÉ they are a waste of space. And I won't take this **** any more.

Why leave terrestrial-only viewers who don't have overspill of UK terrestrial TV with even less choice than they already have?

Many of those viewers can't afford subscription TV (Sky, Netflix etc) or, even if they could, they either can't get access to good-quality broadband or they can't have satellite dishes because due to either landlords' objection or the blocking of the signal by trees that are protected by preservation orders (an issue that was mentioned in the Broadcasting forum of this website years ago).

Bloody hell... RTE didn't even show the weather after the 6:00 news.

Don't they know the IRish are OBSESSED with the weather? Like, seriously... you delay EVERY other program and show the damn weather.

Idiots.

They can't - because Six-One must be on RTÉ 1 at a minute past 6. Period! Don't pretend otherwise.

Well then they need to have a full time day time show and they need to have a full hour in July and August for Six-One.

There is absolutely no need for RTÉ2 when RTÉ have the NEWS channel.
    Why leave terrestrial-only viewers who don't have overspill of UK terrestrial TV with even less choice than they already have?

Many of those viewers can't afford subscription TV (Sky, Netflix etc) or, even if they could, they either can't get access to good-quality broadband or they can't have satellite dishes because due to either landlords' objection or the blocking of the signal by trees that are protected by preservation orders (an issue that was mentioned in the Broadcasting forum of this website years ago).

Those people have been completely and utterly failed by RTÉ, and they always were. RTÉ2 is about as much choice as Virgin Media TWO or THREE.

There share of the audience in March was just 5.21%. and this is with a royal interview, Champions League and Irish Qualifiers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭6o9fv7jpreb180

Watching Prime Time and wondering what is Miriam O Callaghan getting paid for??

Introduces show. ****s off for 40 minutes.. asks a guest 2 prepared questions. End of show..

Easy way for Dee to save 320k right there
    Get rid of Lottie Ryan telling us about the Kardashians and inhaling as loud as she can into the microphone as well, and might get close to saving 500k.

Watching Prime Time and wondering what is Miriam O Callaghan getting paid for??

Introduces show. ****s off for 40 minutes.. asks a guest 2 prepared questions. End of show..

Easy way for Dee to save 320k right there
    Get rid of Lottie Ryan telling us about the Kardashians and inhaling as loud as she can into the microphone as well, and might get close to saving 500k.

Lottie's expecting a sprog atm, so if Dee fired her, she'd have to pay out a massive 'unfair dismissal' payout.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

namloc1980 wrote: »
    What she's saying is that 15% who are liable (i.e. they own a TV) don't pay. The other 13% is a separate group who aren't liable as they don't have a TV in the first place. Now whether that adds up to €50m is another story.

It adds up because RTE overspent their budget by €50m and so that must now be how much the unpaid licenses amounts to.

I mean...its either that or RTE overspend on ridiculous non-runner shows and hosts and have a serious problem of wages far oustripping the value in work returned throughout the whole organisation....

Hahah...so *scoff* which of those you think is the most likely reason :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Fair City was costing nearly 11m a year to run back in 2017 and it's probably costing the same if not more now.
    11m f*cking million a year!! For that sh*te?!
    And then they spent 2.5m for a set upgrade a few years back as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭garrettod

Who says that no one would buy RTE 2?

Take a look at what previous TV channels have been sold for - UTV, TV3 etc.

Likewise for radio stations - look up the sale of the likes of FM104, Today FM, Q102 etc etc.

Licenced broadcasters are a commodity, they don't come up for sale very often, but when they do, there's always a buyer for anything with decent market share, and a licence.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,519 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 33,587 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

And,

"...a further 170 RTE staff members earned between €80,000 and €100,000".

And don't forget, this is RTE Employees, not contractors. So most of the big hitters aren't included in these figures.

• Advertisement

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Fair City was costing nearly 11m a year to run back in 2017 and it's probably costing the same if not more now.
    11m f*cking million a year!! For that sh*te?!
    And then they spent 2.5m for a set upgrade a few years back as well.

A soap opera is a staple of any national public-service broadcaster.

Well then they need to have a full time day time show and they need to have a full hour in July and August for Six-One.

There is absolutely no need for RTÉ2 when RTÉ have the NEWS channel.

Those people have been completely and utterly failed by RTÉ, and they always were. RTÉ2 is about as much choice as Virgin Media TWO or THREE.

There share of the audience in March was just 5.21%. and this is with a royal interview, Champions League and Irish Qualifiers.

Then Six-One wouldn't get as many viewers as it does in its usual place. After all, the two main BBC TV channels still have simulcasts of the BBC News Channel when there are serious breaking news events.

If Six-One was displaced from its usual slot on RTÉ 1, there'd be an outcry. Period!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

So does that mean the nations soap opera need over 30 script writers ?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/like-acting-writing-for-a-soap-is-a-team-sport-1.176013

• Registered Users Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

So does that mean the nations soap opera need over 30 script writers ?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/like-acting-writing-for-a-soap-is-a-team-sport-1.176013

More surprising might be the fact they have script writers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

RTE is our National soap opera, and it is the longest ongoing saga in TV history. They make everything about them rather than acting like a National Broadcaster.

Then Six-One wouldn't get as many viewers as it does in its usual place. After all, the two main BBC TV channels still have simulcasts of the BBC News Channel when there are serious breaking news events.

If Six-One was displaced from its usual slot on RTÉ 1, there'd be an outcry. Period!

Don't compare RTÉ to the BBC, UK is a much much bigger country.

There should be outcry. PERIOD!

Only really in England. BBC didn't really get into soap until the 1970s (not that we should compare RTÉ to BBC), ABC in Oz I think possibly left it to the commercials but then ABC have always been under attack there, while in NZ I think soap there really didn't happen until the 1980s (But I could be way off on that).

Soap is not really a staple, of any channel. I read an article about how when C4 axed Brookside it was pretty much the end for C5's Family Affairs.

What we should think about is the amount RTÉ spend on Indpendent drama. In 2019 it was €3.2m and that included The Tommy Teirnan Show and a one off stand up comedy show from Galway. TTTS possible costs around €100,000 per episode meaning RTÉ may spend under €3m on drama and Scripted comedy!

In the words of the DG.... That's just 1% of RTÉ total budget .... they spend the rest on .......................................... "other things"

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

How in the name of God can they justify these salaries in RTE
    I have not watched 1 hour of there programing this year and last year the only thing we watched was the toy show.

I don't know anyone in my circle of friends or work mates with the exception of sport watches live TV anymore. Everyone knows more about YouTubers than RTE 'Stars'

RTE is becoming more irrelevant by the day and the cracks are showing they should be told to downsize, sell the land in Montrose and move somewhere to the midlands to a smaller premises and start from scratch. But sadly I can never see this happen due to the high political connections that all the board members have and they will continue the stealth tax of €160 to working class people in some shape or form.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

What's very clear in all of this is that RTE think we need them, in reality though they need us.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Not for 11m a year its not, and especially when the quality of output is absymal and your company is going down the swanny.

Advertisement