Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Not for 11m a year its not, and especially when the quality of output is absymal and your company is going down the swanny.

TBH its more than 11m now, though I am not sure how RTÉ link up the own AR with their indpendent production units IPU.

According to RTÉ's AR 22m is spent on Drama/Scripted Comedy
    According to RTÉ's IPU AR they spent just 3.2m on the above but it also included Tommy Tiernan and some non-scripted programming

That leaves Fair city with ..... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

How much do the actors on fair city get paid?

JimmyVik wrote: »
    How much do the actors on fair city get paid?

My issue with talk wages/salaries is that I think many are on low wages or should be asking for rises.

What kind of wage would you expect to be on?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Elmo wrote: »
    My issue with talk wages/salaries is that I think many are on low wages or should be asking for rises.

What kind of wage would you expect to be on?

Was just asking because i am a better actor than the stars of fair city and might go for a job there if it pays enough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭political analyst

So does that mean the nations soap opera need over 30 script writers ?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/like-acting-writing-for-a-soap-is-a-team-sport-1.176013

That article was published 22 years ago! Why do you think it would be reflective of the number of writers involved now?

• Advertisement

Don't compare RTÉ to the BBC, UK is a much much bigger country.

There should be outcry. PERIOD!

Six-One is staying where it is and RTÉ 2 is staying where it is. Period!

Six-One is staying where it is and RTÉ 2 is staying where it is. Period!

No Change. Period! So what would you do?

I mean this idea of do nothing isn't working.

RTÉ2 serve no purpose other than to provide some kind of so called choice. It has no original programming off its own.

The sports that do air on it generally rarely clash with Six-ONE.

RTÉ themselves have stated that they are moving all major sporting events to RTÉ ONE.

RTÉ one does not provide a full day-time schedule year round. Today is getting ready to head on a break.

Surely RTÉ would be better to ultise what they have for example Today: -

I will give you
    Racing from Punchestown

But surely RTÉ2 should keep its schedule until 6pm with RTÉ giving TODAY a weeks break so that it can continue into the Summer months.

Indeed prehaps Six ONE could take a their break for the week so that it can have a normal show during August, and it could take Home and Away in the normal schedule slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

That article was published 22 years ago! Why do you think it would be reflective of the number of writers involved now?

Correct, it must be at least double that now!!!

all those nieces & nephews won't employ themselves you know!!

NIMAN wrote: »
    And,

"...a further 170 RTE staff members earned between €80,000 and €100,000".

And don't forget, this is RTE Employees, not contractors. So most of the big hitters aren't included in these figures.

And don't forget that an awful lot of the staff, like stagers, cameramen, sound people etc..... all get absolutely fabulous cash bonus/perks/expenses for doing their jobs out of 'normal hours'... I'd have no doubt that folks out there could be easily taking on an additional 20-30k a year in perks!!

All that stuff wouldn't be counted in salaries, but rather 'production costs'.

Thats where teh real scandal is......

What, Dee gets a €25,000 per year car allowance!!!! Are you for f****ing real????

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/herald/news/rte-executives-claim-822k-in-car-allowances-as-staff-on-lower-grades-fight-plans-for-pay-freeze-39059782.html

She drives from home to her office in work, and she gets €25k per year for the trouble!!!!!

No wonder she's always smiling...
    2020-03-20_new_57862060_I1.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭garrettod

This proved to be an interesting read...

https://www.thejournal.ie/rte-dail-committee-5421151-Apr2021/?mc_cid=28691257ab&mc_eid=a6c0075496

Dee ducking and diving, when asked what the initial payment to Revenue was - my ar$e she didn't know roughly how much had to be paid, in the initial payment.

Thanks,

G.

• Advertisement

Thats where teh real scandal is......

What, Dee gets a €25,000 per year car allowance!!!! Are you for f****ing real????

When she took the position she "moved" from London, for this she was given an extra "moving fee" of €50,000.

Now from what I can gather she had been based in Cork when she was in Discovery in London and flew back and forth. She is still based in Cork and I assume that she might have a home in Dublin..... but 50,000 for moving from possibly the sale of her property in London?

Though why would you sell your London property?

That is pure speculation BTW but not with out reasoning.

No Change. Period! So what would you do?

I mean this idea of do nothing isn't working.

Neither would disposing of RTÉ 2!

I'd have no doubt that she's bought (or leased) herself a decent motor... perhaps a BMW or Merc in the €60k-€90k bracket...

So she'd own that car now, and the €25k a year she's still getting goes in her pocket... (have no doubt she'd also be on fuel/mileage allowance).

RTÉ themselves have stated that they are moving all major sporting events to RTÉ ONE.

When did they state that?

When did they state that?

When they stated they were

1. Dropping all Digital Radio Stations
    2. Dropping DAN
    3. Selling the RTÉ Guide

Suppose 1 out of 4 isn't too bad.

https://about.rte.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/RT%C3%89-2024-Web.pdf

Page 10 Evolve

"We will move RTÉ's biggest sporitng moments to RTÉ One"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

Is Lotto Ryan still on the RTE tit? When they refuse to publish the FULL salary list and benefits for all employees how is anyone able to make a fair and honest assessment of the current set up. Dee Forbes is like a broken record.

So reruns of Only fools and horses from 72 before the 1 oclock news on RTE 1........flagship channel (not) is creating value.......oh right...laziness.

Reeling in the years where college or drama schools could piece together the same programme has a great viewership...what does that tell you.

Neither would disposing of RTÉ 2!

Again your reasoning and/or an alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

garrettod wrote: »

https://www.thejournal.ie/rte-dail-committee-5421151-Apr2021/?mc_cid=28691257ab&mc_eid=a6c0075496

Dee ducking and diving, when asked what the initial payment to Revenue was - my ar$e she didn't know roughly how much had to be paid, in the initial payment.

what is that payment for? catching up with pension contributions for people who should have been employed etc?

Again your reasoning and/or an alternative.

Reasoning: it would be unfair on terrestrial viewers who don't have the UK channels or satellite dishes or Netflix or Amazon Prime.

Reasoning: it would be unfair on terrestrial viewers who don't have the UK channels or satellite dishes or Netflix or Amazon Prime.

Again if that is the only reason for RTÉ2 it should be sold.

What does it provide. It has no original programming, it has no news or current affairs show, it realizes heavily on Sport, something in their own Strategy RTÉ seem don't seem to understand.

It is not a good enough reason anymore. The channel is nothing more than VIRGIN MEDIA FOUR and at best VIRGIN MEDIA ONE.

It is failing even that audience.

Now reform it or get rid. But give me a hypothetical plan... after all that all RTÉ seem to have.

• Advertisement

Again if that is the only reason for RTÉ2 it should be sold.

What does it provide. It has no original programming, it has no news or current affairs show, it realizes heavily on Sport, something in their own Strategy RTÉ seem don't seem to understand.

It is not a good enough reason anymore. The channel is nothing more than VIRGIN MEDIA FOUR and at best VIRGIN MEDIA ONE.

It is failing even that audience.

Now reform it or get rid. But give me a hypothetical plan... after all that all RTÉ seem to have.

The chances of that happening are very slim.

By the way, RTÉ has an equivalent of Newsround - News2day.

The chances of that happening are very slim.

By the way, RTÉ has an equivalent of Newsround - News2day.

Which moved to the News channel this week because of emm sport! And will take a break during the summer months.

Other than the Government signing off on the sale or closure of RTÉ2 why would the chances of the channel being sold be so slim?

I heard Communicorp just sold all their Irish radio stations to Bauer!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Dee always very quick to point out exactly how much funding is being missed out on by non-payment of the licence fee but her financial controller can't confirm the value of an extraordinary payment made to Revenue.

"Sorry, I just don’t have it to hand with me today,” she said, which Carthy described as “most unfortunate”.

How are they allowed walk out of a committee hearing like that without giving answers to straightforward questions? As if she couldn't log in to her accounting system and see the amount, or email a colleague to get the number.

RTE will have some Employers PRSI bill if Revenue clamp down on the contractor nonsense for people who are clearly employees of RTE. 11.05% on top of the rates paid to the contractors, so €55k owed for each year Tubridy has been paid €500,000. That'll add up quickly.

Biggest waste has always been their washington correspondent. They always seem to be missing. I haven't seen him report much on the floyd george case, instead it's reported from Dublin.. .

Go easy on the poor fella, sure he's been very busy writing his book!

Thanks,

G.

Go easy on the poor fella, sure he's been very busy writing his book!

Must add it to my collection

Mark Little
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Turn-Left-Greenland-Search-America/dp/1902602870
    Carole Coleman
    https://www.amazon.com/Alleluia-America-Irish-Journalist-Country/dp/190414876X
    Richard Downes (at least it wasn't about his time in America on the Licence Fee, he was in Iraq)
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Richard-Downes/e/B001K7NIGU?ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_1&qid=1619646929&sr=8-1
    Catriona Perry
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/America-Tales-Trump-Country/dp/0717179532

Must come as part of the package.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,587 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Some of those books are now bargain bin prices.

I wonder how many they actually sell?

And as they are written while the author is working as an RTE employee, about their time on RTE duty, shouldn't the books be marketed by RTE so they can take some return from sales?

... And as they are written while the author is working as an RTE employee, about their time on RTE duty, shouldn't the books be marketed by RTE so they can take some return from sales?

While I get where you're coming from, do you not think that RTE is involved in enough unnecessary sh1te, without adding to its list of loss making ideas? :D

I bet you they used RTE funded equipment and resources to write their books though - computers, office / residential space etc.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Some of those books are now bargain bin prices.

I wonder how many they actually sell?

And as they are written while the author is working as an RTE employee, about their time on RTE duty, shouldn't the books be marketed by RTE so they can take some return from sales?

I remember Gerry Ryan had some serious payment upfront, something like 100 K for his memoirs.

The book sold poorly, and the majority were pulped.

Tho tbh, can't blame them-he kept much of his secrets off of the page.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I remember Gerry Ryan had some serious payment upfront, something like 100 K for his memoirs.

The book sold poorly, and the majority were pulped.

Tho tbh, can't blame them-he kept much of his secrets off of the page.

There's a great whiff of arrogance of stuff like this. There's very, very few radio presenters in the globe that I'd have any interest in reading about. It's not like there's a big market for the biographies of people as such.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

TomTomTim wrote: »
    There's a great whiff of arrogance of stuff like this. There's very, very few radio presenters in the globe that I'd have any interest in reading about. It's not like there's a big market for the biographies of people as such.

It's really not something to worry about in the context of the future of RTE.

The publisher takes the punt and nobody has to buy the book.

Advertisement