Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Anyone ready to roll back the years and produce more tears (of joy).

The Nathan Carter Show S01E01 on RTE 1 right now!!

Just when you thought your Saturday night couldn’t get any better!!

What. A. Time. To. Be. Alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

P LE A S E E E E!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,336 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Whoy was she walking in to RTE with Leo today?

0010eef9-800.jpg

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2018/1103/1008418-varadkar/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Well it would be silly to start it from episode 2

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

fritzelly wrote: »
    Well it would be silly to start it from episode 2

How about showing it tonight from season 3 or 4? Or wherever their up to now with this show!

But nah, RTÉ will do a show, and flog it to death for years to come!! Repeat after repeat and rinse and repeat.

RTE screaming out for more money despite making very few new original shows!! (Apart from Amy Huberman shows of course)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,313 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

'Tell me, Doctor, where are we going this time....'

'Is it the 60's, or almost 2019'...

I swear, I can't tell when I look at RTE's output-it wouldn't make it past the commissioning board in the 60s, it would be viewed as old hat.
    Nathan Carter is blander than a marietta biscuit. Yet he's a prime time show on RTE...

And they have how many cooking shows? And another two or three on the way soon... pathetic.

So independent producers are calling for a TV licence review (scared of losing the honey pot that is RTE)

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/1114/1010806-tv-licence/

Sorry but using the likes of Room to Improve and Dancing with the Stars is not a foundation of how well the licence fee is used to pay independent companies to produce cheap crap TV
    Come back at me with some great historical or nature programmes or original programming then you have an argument, your reasoning is for just more crap semi brain dead populist (if you are into it) junk programs that cost nothing to make but pay big bucks for the "stars"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

What's most sickening about RTÉ is the sheer amount of land they take up. TV3 / Virgin Media operates out of an industrial unit in Ballycoolin and has a better polished product in terms of graphics & presentation.

60 seconds on Google says that RTÉ's site is around 600 x 200m which is 12 hectares, on which you could happily build 300 houses. In D4. The only site for sale in D4 on daft at the moment is roughly the size of four parking spaces and it's up for €650,000. Do the maths.

Just THINK how much of a benefit the state would get from selling that land. We'd build a whole new hospital or put a big dent in Metrolink. And we'd never have to listen to a holier-than-thou Tubridy interview ever again.

Are there any negatives?

sdanseo wrote: »
    Are there any negatives?

Let me think about that for a nano second

No reason in the wold for them to even be in Dublin period bar making for an easy commute for their own celebs but there is also a reason for international stars who want to be in the hub of it and RTE has lots of those internationall celeb stars...oh wait they don't

I'm being facetious, but there really is no reason to not be anywhere else in the country or even outside Dublin with a small studio in Dublin city center for when it is advantageous for guests.

fritzelly wrote: »
    So independent producers are calling for a TV licence review (scared of losing the honey pot that is RTE)

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/1114/1010806-tv-licence/

Sorry but using the likes of Room to Improve and Dancing with the Stars is not a foundation of how well the licence fee is used to pay independent companies to produce cheap crap TV
    Come back at me with some great historical or nature programmes or original programming then you have an argument, your reasoning is for just more crap semi brain dead populist (if you are into it) junk programs that cost nothing to make but pay big bucks for the "stars"

RTE cannot justify the license fee at the moment-whether it's their sports coverage (which is the bare bones of what it used to be-thanks Ryle Nugent, hope those car adverts help pay your bills). Or the exceedingly crazy amount of cookery shows (the 'Catherine Fulvio gets a holiday and cooks a meal for someone abroad' show, Donal Skehan 'can't cook but can make you ill' show, Rory 'brother of Darina' cooking show, Nevin's cooking show, and Cooking with Amy Huberman.... one of those is fake, but you couldn't tell-cos RTE).

And now we're getting more and more property shows-what the hell is it with property shows? Most folks cannot afford to not rent. Now there's 'find me a home', 'build my home', 'fix my home', 'help, my home is a dump!', 'watch as I do up this ancient home' and 'design and build my home'.
    It's all cheap programming-disposable, not like you'll have people queuing up to buy the dvd boxset-barring Young Offenders, and that's not even an RTE production.

VM1 is hardly better (their obsession with Megan and Harry is trite and obnoxious at this point) but if RTE produced something like that, it would be about Vogue and the second husband (at the moment).
    The thing is-I worry that Leo Varadkar, a guy with no backbone, will cave to RTE in order to enforce a bias at the station.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

The thought of paying part of Nicky Byrnes wages, turns my stomach like the morning after 14 city centre Heinekens and a half eaten Hillbillies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

That new show Taken Down is worth every penny. I hope they are paying the actors good wages. So they can get the **** away from tv and start new careers, in mining coal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

“OVER 8,000 EXTRA households bought a TV licence in 2017. The latest figures show that the total TV Licence sales for 2017 were 1,027,596 – an increase of 8,427 from 2016.“
    So about 164 million in Tv license fees and over 150 million in advertising.
    So well over 300 million coming it.
    How are they in trouble and how is the content so poor.

Top 10 RTE presenter salaries in 2015:

10. Darragh Moloney €188,803 (not in 2014 figures)

9. Bryan Dobson - €195,913 (€195,816 in 2014)

8. Nicky Byrne €200,583 (not in 2014 figures)

7. Claire Byrne €201,500 (not in 2014 figures)

6. Sean O'Rourke - €290,113 (€290,096 in 2014)

5. Marian Finucane - €295,000 (€295,000 in 2014)

4. Miriam O'Callaghan - €299,000 (€280,445 in 2014)

3. Joe Duffy - €389,988 (€416,893 in 2014)

2. Ray D'Arcy €400,000 (not in 2014 figures)

1. Ryan Tubridy €495,000 (€495,000 in 2014)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Nice money for two days work a week, with the apparent 3 months holidays a year. Does Joe Duffy, or any of the other 'stars', actually present his show anymore as any time listen PBH seems to on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,430 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

What does Darragh Moloney do?

Also Bryan Dobson two hundred grand for reading a teleprompter. Surely that's a forty or fifty grand job at most.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Nice money for two days work a week, with the apparent 3 months holidays a year. Does Joe Duffy, or any of the other 'stars', actually present his show anymore as any time listen PBH seems to on it.

Philip Boucher Hayes used to say in descriptor in his Twitter Account that he was "the full-time host of Liveline", despite the taxpayer funding Joe Duffy's fees to the tune of over €400,000.....in 2014. Do you think those fees have gone down since then?

As I'm sure it's been mentioned previously but the bigger "stars" all have private companies to which these fees are paid to enable tax avoidance at place the tax rate at 12.5% after all allowable expenses, deductibles etc. No pesky PAYE for this top talent! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Because as we all know the BBC, NBC, ABC, CNN etc. are all queueing up to poach them........

RTE cannot justify the license fee at the moment-whether it's their sports coverage (which is the bare bones of what it used to be-thanks Ryle Nugent, hope those car adverts help pay your bills). Or the exceedingly crazy amount of cookery shows (the 'Catherine Fulvio gets a holiday and cooks a meal for someone abroad' show, Donal Skehan 'can't cook but can make you ill' show, Rory 'brother of Darina' cooking show, Nevin's cooking show, and Cooking with Amy Huberman.... one of those is fake, but you couldn't tell-cos RTE).

And now we're getting more and more property shows-what the hell is it with property shows? Most folks cannot afford to not rent. Now there's 'find me a home', 'build my home', 'fix my home', 'help, my home is a dump!', 'watch as I do up this ancient home' and 'design and build my home'.
    It's all cheap programming-disposable, not like you'll have people queuing up to buy the dvd boxset-barring Young Offenders, and that's not even an RTE production.

VM1 is hardly better (their obsession with Megan and Harry is trite and obnoxious at this point) but if RTE produced something like that, it would be about Vogue and the second husband (at the moment).
    The thing is-I worry that Leo Varadkar, a guy with no backbone, will cave to RTE in order to enforce a bias at the station.

There's a sketch on last night's Callan's Kicks featuring Amy H that you mid find amusing. Available via podcast or on the RTE website.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Graniteville

Bowlardo wrote: »
    “OVER 8,000 EXTRA households bought a TV licence in 2017. The latest figures show that the total TV Licence sales for 2017 were 1,027,596 – an increase of 8,427 from 2016.“
    So about 164 million in Tv license fees and over 150 million in advertising.
    So well over 300 million coming it.
    How are they in trouble and how is the content so poor.

Top 10 RTE presenter salaries in 2015:

10. Darragh Moloney €188,803 (not in 2014 figures)

9. Bryan Dobson - €195,913 (€195,816 in 2014)

8. Nicky Byrne €200,583 (not in 2014 figures)

7. Claire Byrne €201,500 (not in 2014 figures)

6. Sean O'Rourke - €290,113 (€290,096 in 2014)

5. Marian Finucane - €295,000 (€295,000 in 2014)

4. Miriam O'Callaghan - €299,000 (€280,445 in 2014)

3. Joe Duffy - €389,988 (€416,893 in 2014)

2. Ray D'Arcy €400,000 (not in 2014 figures)

1. Ryan Tubridy €495,000 (€495,000 in 2014)

Have a look at the programmes all of those people present and loom at the advertising revenue around those programmes. The Late late Toy show brings in well over 500k in sponsorship and advertising and even taking the production budget out, it gives a net profit of over 200k for that three hour slot.

D'Arcy and Duffy are two is just can't listen to or watch, but there are hundreds of thousands that do and again advertising and sponsorship ensure a very decent profit.

Live sports, esp GAA (excl the big matches) are big loss making programmes, but are essential for the mix. Similarly documentaries and programmes such as primetime require funding, but are essential too.

Its funny how everyone that complains about the licence only ever bring up the programmes that make strong profits?

Have a look at the programmes all of those people present and loom at the advertising revenue around those programmes. The Late late Toy show brings in well over 500k in sponsorship and advertising and even taking the production budget out, it gives a net profit of over 200k for that three hour slot.

D'Arcy and Duffy are two is just can't listen to or watch, but there are hundreds of thousands that do and again advertising and sponsorship ensure a very decent profit.

Live sports, esp GAA (excl the big matches) are big loss making programmes, but are essential for the mix. Similarly documentaries and programmes such as primetime require funding, but are essential too.

Its funny how everyone that complains about the licence only ever bring up the programmes that make strong profits?

If any of these programmes are making profits, as you claim-then why are RTE claiming they are losing money? Why seek an increase in the license fee? The maths isn't adding up.

As Darcy and Turbidy have proven anybody could present those shows and still bring in the punters.

Duffy has a special knack of extracting misery so maybe give him his worth if folk like it. He's not worth four hundred grand though,or even half of it.

• Advertisement

Do you listen to Liveline? You mustn't, because there are often weeks with NO paying adverts. The only ads on lots of shows are for one of the RTE Orchestras, whatever is coming up on D'Arcy, and topped off with another ad for some RTE sponsored event.

The show is frequently without a sponsor, more often than not has no paid advertising, and recently added its SEVENTH producer to the team, along with at least one declared researcher. Throw in the host's fees, the replacement cover costs when the main hosts is on his 12 weeks holidays and your costs are already way over €1m (est.). It doesn't ever cover it's costs!

There's a Joe Duffy Work Calculator that's been up and running for a number of years on Da Lahv Lahn Thread - have a look at it sometime. It makes for interesting reading. Likewise, there's occasionally and adwatch feature. Have a look caller......

Do you listen to Liveline? You mustn't, because there are often weeks with NO paying adverts. The only ads on lots of shows are for one of the RTE Orchestras, whatever is coming up on D'Arcy, and topped off with another ad for some RTE sponsored event.

The show is frequently without a sponsor, more often than not has no paid advertising, and recently added its SEVENTH producer to the team, along with at least one declared researcher. Throw in the host's fees, the replacement cover costs when the main hosts is on his 12 weeks holidays and your costs are already way over €1m (est.). It doesn't ever cover it's costs!

There's a Joe Duffy Work Calculator that's been up and running for a number of years on Da Lahv Lahn Thread - have a look at it sometime. It makes for interesting reading. Likewise, there's occasionally and adwatch feature. Have a look caller......

Pensioners probably aren't big spenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Looking forward to it returning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭KevRossi

There's a sketch on last night's Callan's Kicks featuring Amy H that you mid find amusing. Available via podcast or on the RTE website.;)

Yep. Absolute nail on the head stuff by Callan.

sligojoek wrote: »

I’ve been here all year caller...it’s me furst break-een and dat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Graniteville

RTE are restricted to approx. 6 min of advertising per hour - both TV & radio. Promos for other programmes are not considered adverts.

But that 6 mins is charged at full whack between 1pm & 3pm where Lunchtime news and Joe Duffy are on.

Commercial radio & TV are permitted a maximum of 12 minutes per hour.

That why you see some US or UK one hour shows taking 55min on RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

sligojoek wrote: »

I’ve been here all year caller...it’s me furst break-een and dat!
    Is this your main holiday?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

It might be a good idea to spend some of the money on typing lessons for the people who look after rte.ie.

Every article seems to be littered with grammar and spelling mistakes.

It’s absolutey woeful.

If anyone wants to see just how bad it is, read the article about Mel B that’s there at the moment.

It might be a good idea to spend some of the money on typing lessons for the people who look after rte.ie.

Every article seems to be littered with grammar and spelling mistakes.

It’s absolutey woeful.

If anyone wants to see just how bad it is, read the article about Mel B that’s there at the moment.

You weren't lying. Bloody hell-there's more typos and grammatical errors than a Dailymail article.
    Mel B had less than £800 when she left ex-husband
    Updated / Saturday, 17 Nov 2018 12:25 0
    Mel B: new autobiography, Brutally Honest, on the way
    Mel B: new autobiography, Brutally Honest, on the way
    Spice Girl Mel B reveals that she had less than £800 (€900) in a bank account when she left her ex-husband Stephen Belafonte.

in the singer's new book, Brutally Honest - extracts from which are featuring in The Sun - the pop star, whose real name is whose real name is Melanie Brown writes about Eddie Murphy. The 57-year old actor is the father of her 11-year-old daughter Angel and she insists he was the love of her life and "a genuinely decent man".

Mel B's account will be published by Hardie Grant on November 27. The book will explore the split from her second husband, the film producer Belafonte, whom the singer and X- Factor judge married in 2007.

Mel B pictured with ex-husband Stephen Belafonte
    "In the past 20-something years of my life, I have made more than £80 million, " she discloses. "When I met my second husband (Stephen), I had a house and a loft apartment in LA and a good career. When I left him I walked away with 936 dollars (£729) in a bank."

Mel B divorced Belafonte in August. The publicity for her new book describes it as a "tell-all memoir from the loudest, proudest Spice Girl – and the truth behind the headlines.

"As one-fifth of the iconic Spice Girls and judge on X Factor and America's Got Talent, Melanie Brown, a.k.a Scary Spice, has been an international star since her twenties. Brutally Honest is an exposé of the struggles and acute pain that lay behind the glamour and success.

"With deep personal insight, remarkable frankness and trademark Yorkshire humour, the book removes the mask of fame and reveals the true story behind the Spice Girls, as well as the horror of her most recent marriage and her 10 year struggle to be free."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I wouldn't get caught up in the individual presenter's salaries. Yeah, so 10 of them earn silly money.

It's what they're doing with the other €335m or so (€186m being licence fees) that concerns me.

Advertisement