Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,309 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

TomTomTim wrote: »
    There's a great whiff of arrogance of stuff like this. There's very, very few radio presenters in the globe that I'd have any interest in reading about. It's not like there's a big market for the biographies of people as such.

I'd be the same, at least with regards to IRish presenters. We know their history, we know their private lives (for the most part-eh, Gerry?) and there's not much that you couldn't compress into a one off documentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I'd be the same, at least with regards to IRish presenters. We know their history, we know their private lives (for the most part-eh, Gerry?) and there's not much that you couldn't compress into a one off documentary.

Why do that we you can have a two part one off documentry :D

Just don't mention the drugs or drinking and remember he was larger than life

• Registered Users Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Whenever Joe Duffy is writing a book, he gets his Liveline listeners to do his research for him and he uses what they tell him over the airwaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

skimpydoo wrote: »
    Whenever Joe Duffy is writing a book, he gets his Liveline listeners to do his research for him and he uses what they tell him over the airwaves.

And the fawning review of Catrina Perry book........honour among thieves if you will

skimpydoo wrote: »

I remember when he was on de Chiselers of de Risin, and I was working in the libraries and encouraged by management to hand out leaflets he had given to encourage readers to contact him with material for the book. For some reason at the time the staff were under the impression that some proceeds were going to a children's hospital and we found ourselves saying "isn't he very good all the same to be doing this worthy thing".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I remember when he was on de Chiselers of de Risin, and I was working in the libraries and encouraged by management to hand out leaflets he had given to encourage readers to contact him with material for the book. For some reason at the time the staff were under the impression that some proceeds were going to a children's hospital and we found ourselves saying "isn't he very good all the same to be doing this worthy thing".

You misheard - what they meant was paying for his medical insurance

They had to use Virgin Media Studio for Home Advantage because RTÉ studios were in use.

Really? I would love to know the Home Advantage schedule and RTÉ studio's schedule.

RTÉ have only one live show from RTÉ's Dublin Studios and that's the Lunch Time news and there are other studios.

TODAY finishes up on May 28th.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,977 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I remember Gerry Ryan had some serious payment upfront, something like 100 K for his memoirs.

The book sold poorly, and the majority were pulped.

Tho tbh, can't blame them-he kept much of his secrets off of the page.

Some of the bits I heard serialised were hilarious, peak Celtic tiger peak Ryan :)

So with the news of Noel Clarke .... (Google)

Why are we being so quiet on you know who?

I hear Brian Dowling might be getting a breakfast show on 2FM.... though that's just speculation :D

Elmo wrote: »
    So with the news of Noel Clarke .... (Google)

Why are we being so quiet on you know who?

I hear Brian Dowling might be getting a breakfast show on 2FM.... though that's just speculation :D

Nobody wants to report on it without solid facts-even tho it's pretty open.

That said, he's now got a cameo account-claims its for charity.

• Advertisement

Nobody wants to report on it without solid facts-even tho it's pretty open.

That said, he's now got a cameo account-claims its for charity.

I don't know who you could be talking about but ..... that cameo account was there prior to the accusations .... though it looks like the person that you are talking about did upload a happy birthday video recently.

Solid facts .... has anyone in the media gone to ask if there is anyone willing to come forward... 2 months on few Journos are willing to ask any question to seek out anybody that might prove it one way or another.

Anyway I've only heard that your man from that reality show and the other guy from another reality show might get to co-host a radio breakfast show.

Wonder how much they'll get paid!

I don't listen to radio. Tend to prefer podcasts or spotify.

So whoever they get, won't change my mind either way.

RTE drafting in about 8 or 9 presenters to fill in for Sinead Kennedy.

Una Healy, a Radio KErry presenter, Government mouthpiece Steffanie Preissner, etc etc etc...

Each one of these are paid. Was there a reason ONE presenter wouldn't be enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

And the fawning review of Catrina Perry book........honour among thieves if you will

She's grand to look at but would doubt if it's a page turner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

RTE drafting in about 8 or 9 presenters to fill in for Sinead Kennedy.

Una Healy, a Radio KErry presenter, Government mouthpiece Steffanie Preissner, etc etc etc...

Each one of these are paid. Was there a reason ONE presenter wouldn't be enough?

IMO, I think that is RTE way of finding the new Lottie, only one will get the " contractors" contract, the rest will be hired for an expensive fee for some vox pop item

Saw that vicious c### of a Terri Prone on with Daithi one day, be as well do an interview with Daniel K,

IMO, I think that is RTE way of finding the new Lottie, only one will get the " contractors" contract, the rest will be hired for an expensive fee for some vox pop item

I'd say it'll be Preissner. She recently had a gig (got paid just under 7 grand) to fawn all over Fine Gael and Fine Fail.

Knowing this, and her previous gigs with RTE (Can't cope, won't cope as well as some show on the RTE player) she'll get drafted in to be a host on some production for RTE. Will it be Maura and Daithi (or whatever that crap is called?)... maybe. I mean, tv3 have gotten Grainne Seoige to fill in for Muireann O'Connell on a few days on Six O' Clock show.
    So we know that Grainne isn't getting the gig.

So we know that Grainne isn't getting the gig.

She was on TODAY a few days ago.

TODAY starts its summer break on the 28th of May.

I suppose they are saving money taking a summer break right? :confused:

Tommie Gorman will be needing the odd top-up as well, wonder what they'll come up with

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

What's up with the amateur hour on the RTE website with typos/mistakes that I would be mortified if I included in a work email, not talk about publishing it on one of the most read sites in the country.

One example this morning https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2021/0430/1213057-tohill-living-for-experience-rather-than-the-experiment/

"Pre-season training was restricted given the risk of injection.

Presume it should read infection as injection makes no sense. These type of things happen all the time, is there no editorial oversight or at least the "Journalist" having a read through what they are typing.

• Advertisement

@RandomViewer

I can see your point even if others cannot, however you can't really bring that argument in this case due to the circumstance.

But there are plenty of retired RTÉ personality still hanging around long after retirement.

Had SOR not been at golfgate there'd be a whole thread on his new Weekend show in the Radio Forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

There's another more upmarket stable that a whole lot of beautiful people hang out in, in Dalkey. Ballymount is just so...ugh.

Terry Prone looks so sweet.

https://carolandassociates.com/entertainment/mcshostschairs/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Caspian Petite Corner

is it mandatory for RTE to show a Bourne movie every long weekend,

• Registered Users Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

is it mandatory for RTE to show a Bourne movie every long weekend,

Yes, the same with a Bond movie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,708 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

fritzelly wrote: »
    Yes, the same with a Bond movie

One the back to the futures, or taken or shawshank can fill a few hours too, they must have a very short list of films they can show or is it laziness

So going to defend RTÉ on Movies/Film.

Yes I will agree they have a few set films, but their repeats aren't as bad as you all imagine.

There main problem is that the main bulk of films are from the past 20 years and other eras are largely forgotten about, 1990s next 1980s then 1970s and so on.

Virgin Media (a company that has plenty) replies on ITV film from ITV studios while they repeat them often with a few exceptions.

Bourne films all seem to between RTÉ, Virgin Media and TG4.

TG4 IMO have a better section (though the westerns are over repeated, but this could be due to ITV4 who happen to show similar westerns).

TG4's Monday and Saturday Night movies are in fairness good buys tonight is Invictus and Brothers is on Saturday night, while Lone Star is their western on Friday.

RTÉ2 generally airs the most films with and average of 20% repeats
    RTÉ ONE is next with a similar repeat rate, next is TG4 same repeat repeat rate.

Then Virgin Media ONE with few films but a similar repeat rate, TWO even less film mainly repeats from ONE with a 50% repeat rate on TWO itself and then THREE with a similar repeat rate.

It seems Virgin Media have about 100 films that they air before endless repeats.

And while I haven't updated this in a while these are the most repeated. Mainly Virgin Media : -

Dirty Dancing was repeated 13 times
    The Expendables 2 was repeated 8 times
    Into The West was repeated 7 times
    Zathura A Space Adventure was repeated 7 times
    Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory was repeated 6 times
    The Longest Yard was repeated 6 times
    Murder on Pleasant Drive was repeated 6 times
    The Secret of Kells was repeated 6 times
    Big Mommas House was repeated 5 times
    Die Hard 4 was repeated 5 times

ISeeGirls might expand more

Takes off anorak :D

What annoys me about RTÉ is that last year they had 3 Irish Films first airings that the put on at 11:30 while they put out Pretty Woman and some other fluff at 9:30 the same night. None of which are available on their wonderful RTÉ Player :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

Let me get the boot in....why not. The albatross is the RTE concert orchestra. Slips by without any reckoning The salary bill and benefit package is also a big cost. Are they contractors or part timers. Must be great to get paid for what essentially is a hobby for the musicians. Easy gravy train for anyone on it. You can bet that most are on good money.

Let me get the boot in....why not. The albatross is the RTE concert orchestra. Slips by without any reckoning The salary bill and benefit package is also a big cost. Are they contractors or part timers. Must be great to get paid for what essentially is a hobby for the musicians. Easy gravy train for anyone on it. You can bet that most are on good money.

Yeah while I think the CO and the NSO are important there is a huge question over their finances. I know we all think that the NSO has exited RTÉ (it hasn't just yet) the government just wrote a check for €8m far more than what they had in RTÉ as far as I can tell and at this stage 50% of it will be going to RTÉ.

• Advertisement

Elmo wrote: »
    So going to defend RTÉ on Movies/Film.

Yes I will agree they have a few set films, but their repeats aren't as bad as you all imagine.

There main problem is that the main bulk of films are from the past 20 years and other eras are largely forgotten about, 1990s next 1980s then 1970s and so on.

Virgin Media (a company that has plenty) replies on ITV film from ITV studios while they repeat them often with a few exceptions.

Bourne films all seem to between RTÉ, Virgin Media and TG4.

TG4 IMO have a better section (though the westerns are over repeated, but this could be due to ITV4 who happen to show similar westerns).

TG4's Monday and Saturday Night movies are in fairness good buys tonight is Invictus and Brothers is on Saturday night, while Lone Star is their western on Friday.

RTÉ2 generally airs the most films with and average of 20% repeats
    RTÉ ONE is next with a similar repeat rate, next is TG4 same repeat repeat rate.

Then Virgin Media ONE with few films but a similar repeat rate, TWO even less film mainly repeats from ONE with a 50% repeat rate on TWO itself and then THREE with a similar repeat rate.

It seems Virgin Media have about 100 films that they air before endless repeats.

And while I haven't updated this in a while these are the most repeated. Mainly Virgin Media : -

Dirty Dancing was repeated 13 times
    The Expendables 2 was repeated 8 times
    Into The West was repeated 7 times
    Zathura A Space Adventure was repeated 7 times
    Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory was repeated 6 times
    The Longest Yard was repeated 6 times
    Murder on Pleasant Drive was repeated 6 times
    The Secret of Kells was repeated 6 times
    Big Mommas House was repeated 5 times
    Die Hard 4 was repeated 5 times

ISeeGirls might expand more

Takes off anorak :D

Virgin Media have a habit of re-airing 'Marian Keyes Watermelon' every year...

It's the equivalent of being sharted in the face. Absolute torture. One of the worst things I've ever seen (and Anna Friel's Irish accents (she does more than one) are absolutely horrendous).

Advertisement