Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Virgin Media have a habit of re-airing 'Marian Keyes Watermelon' every year...

It's the equivalent of being sharted in the face. Absolute torture. One of the worst things I've ever seen (and Anna Friel's Irish accents (she does more than one) are absolutely horrendous).

Her family is from Fanad, so accent shouldn't be a stretch, think Watermelon is one of the few films that TV3 partly financed, hence the repeats

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Elmo wrote: »
    It seems Virgin Media have about 100 films that they air before endless repeats.

And while I haven't updated this in a while these are the most repeated. Mainly Virgin Media : -

Dirty Dancing was repeated 13 times
    The Expendables 2 was repeated 8 times
    Into The West was repeated 7 times
    Zathura A Space Adventure was repeated 7 times
    Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory was repeated 6 times
    The Longest Yard was repeated 6 times
    Murder on Pleasant Drive was repeated 6 times
    The Secret of Kells was repeated 6 times
    Big Mommas House was repeated 5 times
    Die Hard 4 was repeated 5 times

ISeeGirls might expand more

Takes off anorak :D

Finally I can use these useless stats :o So I can break it up into 2. This is only Virgin Media 30/Aug/18 to now for most films/tv movies shown:

11 - Circle Of Friends
    8 - Oliver Twist
    8 - Dirty Dancing
    8 - A Mothers Son (2 Part)
    8 - Appropriate Adult (2 Part)
    8 - Watermelon
    8 - Into The Blue
    8 - Cardboard Gangsters

And then Total from 20/Sep/98 to now:
    22 - Circle Of Friends
    22 - The Punisher
    21 - Watermelon
    18 - Dirty Dancing
    16 - Enough
    16 - The Expendables 2
    16 - It's A Wonderful Life
    16 - Men In Black
    16 - Paul Blart: Mall Cop
    16 - Santa Claus - The Movie
    16 - The Snapper

Other odd stats:
    There have been a total of 10 Film Premieres across the channels in the past 16 months since 1/1/20.

62 new films* broadcast on VMTV since 1/1/20 - *ones that haven't been shown on TV3 or VMTV before e.g. Saving Private Ryan. Half of them are made-for-tv films.

The Boys From Brazil (that 1978 classic, right?!) was shown 5 times over the space of 4 months last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

iseegirls wrote: »
    16 - The Snapper

That's not including RTÉ and TG4! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Let me get the boot in....why not. The albatross is the RTE concert orchestra. Slips by without any reckoning The salary bill and benefit package is also a big cost. Are they contractors or part timers. Must be great to get paid for what essentially is a hobby for the musicians. Easy gravy train for anyone on it. You can bet that most are on good money.

I don't mind seeing people with talent get some money for what they do - God knows it's bad enough making a living from music these days. The orchestra musicians aren't the problem in RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,405 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Let me get the boot in....why not. The albatross is the RTE concert orchestra. Slips by without any reckoning The salary bill and benefit package is also a big cost. Are they contractors or part timers. Must be great to get paid for what essentially is a hobby for the musicians. Easy gravy train for anyone on it. You can bet that most are on good money.

perhaps you should answer the first question before making definitive statements. your post comes across as based purely on ignorance.

• Advertisement

I don't mind seeing people with talent get some money for what they do - God knows it's bad enough making a living from music these days. The orchestra musicians aren't the problem in RTE.
    perhaps you should answer the first question before making definitive statements. your post comes across as based purely on ignorance.

I have no problem with either the NSO or the CO, but their budget does need to be examined as much as the rest of RTÉ, they haven't seen a cut in the past decade, 15million per year (including ticket sales of about €2-3 million).

But your right RTÉ management failed to examine those issues also. Just look at how swiftly the NSO is moving to the NCH.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,051 ✭✭✭✭neris

Tommie Gorman will be needing the odd top-up as well, wonder what they'll come up with

during ads last week they were pushing some things hes made on cancer as a follow up to some treatment he had years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 8,309 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Her family is from Fanad, so accent shouldn't be a stretch, think Watermelon is one of the few films that TV3 partly financed, hence the repeats

That was back when they were part owned by Granada Television, before the Virgin Media Television buyout.

That was back when they were part owned by Granada Television, before the Virgin Media Television buyout.

Don't for get the Doherty Hanson bought them out for €265m or something ridiculous, then precede to drop Coro St and Emmerdale resulting in an €80million sale to Liberty Global.

Don't for get the Doherty Hanson bought them out for €265m or something ridiculous, then precede to drop Coro St and Emmerdale resulting in an €80million sale to Liberty Global.

They lost the rights to UTV Ireland. The problem with UTV Ireland was that Corrie and Emmerdale were the only programs that attracted an audience. Once those shows were over, audiences switched off.

Tv3 (later Virgin Media) then bought UTV for a steal.

• Advertisement

They lost the rights to UTV Ireland. The problem with UTV Ireland was that Corrie and Emmerdale were the only programs that attracted an audience. Once those shows were over, audiences switched off.

Tv3 (later Virgin Media) then bought UTV for a steal.

Not so sure about that, they ended up buying the shows they lost, I doubt ITV knocked anything off. ITV the real winners in the end.

In fairness Doc Martin, The Chase and This Morning all did well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

iseegirls wrote: »
    Finally I can use these useless stats :o So I can break it up into 2. This is only Virgin Media 30/Aug/18 to now for most films/tv movies shown:

11 - Circle Of Friends
    8 - Oliver Twist
    8 - Dirty Dancing
    8 - A Mothers Son (2 Part)
    8 - Appropriate Adult (2 Part)
    8 - Watermelon
    8 - Into The Blue
    8 - Cardboard Gangsters

And then Total from 20/Sep/98 to now:
    22 - Circle Of Friends
    22 - The Punisher
    21 - Watermelon
    18 - Dirty Dancing
    16 - Enough
    16 - The Expendables 2
    16 - It's A Wonderful Life
    16 - Men In Black
    16 - Paul Blart: Mall Cop
    16 - Santa Claus - The Movie
    16 - The Snapper

Other odd stats:
    There have been a total of 10 Film Premieres across the channels in the past 16 months since 1/1/20.

62 new films* broadcast on VMTV since 1/1/20 - *ones that haven't been shown on TV3 or VMTV before e.g. Saving Private Ryan. Half of them are made-for-tv films.

The Boys From Brazil (that 1978 classic, right?!) was shown 5 times over the space of 4 months last year.

I laughed at this. Great stuff. :D

I have no problem with either the NSO or the CO, but their budget does need to be examined as much as the rest of RTÉ, they haven't seen a cut in the past decade, 15million per year (including ticket sales of about €2-3 million).

But your right RTÉ management failed to examine those issues also. Just look at how swiftly the NSO is moving to the NCH.

If there is any money wasted on the orchestras it is certainly not being wasted on the orchestra members, which is what you implied. I earn a lot more than even the senior orchestra members and I have a fraction of the talent and done a lot less work to get where I am.

If there is any money wasted on the orchestras it is certainly not being wasted on the orchestra members, which is what you implied. I earn a lot more than even the senior orchestra members and I have a fraction of the talent and done a lot less work to get where I am.

I didn't someone else might have.

I suggested that there is a question on the amount of money given to the NCO and the NSO. And that it is one area that RTÉ avoided cutting.

I don't know how much you are earning but if I was a player I would question the €15m being spend on the music groups. I'd also be asking why the NSO move is taking so long.

But you'd first have to tell me the rate of pay for a player.

I didn't someone else might have.

I suggested that there is a question on the amount of money given to the NCO and the NSO. And that it is one area that RTÉ avoided cutting.

I don't know how much you are earning but if I was a player I would question the €15m being spend on the music groups. I'd also be asking why the NSO move is taking so long.

But you'd first have to tell me the rate of pay for a player.

the salary scale for First Violin is 44-52K.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,641 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Well of course they have a "scale" :pac:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Well of course they have a "scale" :pac:

very sharp well played

Thanks so we can say about 50% to 65% of the total budget goes on the players.

The members need to look around. Are they getting value for money in relation to maintenance and administration. In terms of facilities and in terms of new instruments, venues and so on.

For example the CO recently got a new logo, a huge question for an organization trying to ditch its Orchestras has to be, why are we getting a new logo? I am not saying the new logo cost a massive amount of money but could that money have been better spent on Orchestra itself?

These are questions that players should be asking, as should the management team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭downtheroad

HMRC saying that Gary Lineker was a BBC employee, not a freelancer, and are chasing him for income tax https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/gary-lineker-in-4-9m-tax-battle-in-uk-over-freelance-earnings-1.4557663

Revenue should follow suit and take a look into many of the RTE stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

Whats the salary and benefits for the musician that plays the triangle ?

Genuine question. The issue is RTE et al is that the full costing in salaries benefits is not transparant. The fact that the Revenue had to get a top up to satisfy some irregularities should raise a few eyebrows if anything.

Sale of montrose etc is the same as adding a glass of water to a swimming pool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

Whats the salary and benefits for the musician that plays the triangle ?

Genuine question. The issue is RTE et al is that the full costing in salaries benefits is not transparant. The fact that the Revenue had to get a top up to satisfy some irregularities should raise a few eyebrows if anything.

Sale of montrose etc is the same as adding a glass of water to a swimming pool.

Forgot to add.......the revenue payment may have included penalties etc....at tax payers expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭DrSerious3

Anyone watching this 'Holy F*ck' programme about curse words on RTE presented by Ardal O'Hanlon?

What a load of crap, jesus christ. They are so utterly devoid of ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭elperello

DrSerious3 wrote: »
    Anyone watching this 'Holy F*ck' programme about curse words on RTE presented by Ardal O'Hanlon?

I am and I'm enjoying it.

By the way you are due a stoning. :)

DrSerious3 wrote: »

I considered it, watched about 1 minute of it, then wondered if using a cheese grater on my genitals would be more entertaining.

It was-especially when I applied iodine to the shredded remains what used to be my nether regions.

My girlish screams entertained all those around me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Basically a copy of History of Swear Words

'Big' Story on the news about how a 'Hollywood' movie about the lisdoonvarna festival has attracted massive attention from tourists.

It's a TV Hallmark movie, 'As Luck would have it' which has less than 600 ratings as I write this.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13775584/?ref_=rvi_tt

Are they really trying to invent news now? Because this is a non-event, newswise.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

They're eyeing it up to show later in the year and the years to follow...multiple times

fritzelly wrote: »
    They're eyeing it up to show later in the year and the years to follow...multiple times

200.gif?cid=95b279449cb3f59ba850824b4a19f3234f18f488c8f024fd&rid=200.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

'Big' Story on the news about how a 'Hollywood' movie about the lisdoonvarna festival has attracted massive attention from tourists.

It's a TV Hallmark movie, 'As Luck would have it' which has less than 600 ratings as I write this.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13775584/?ref_=rvi_tt

Are they really trying to invent news now? Because this is a non-event, newswise.

It sounds very like a Janeane Garofalo film from about 25 years ago

• Advertisement

It sounds very like a Janeane Garofalo film from about 25 years ago

More people saw Wild Mountain Thyme than saw this movie.

Yet only this one is seen as a 'boon'.

Advertisement