Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

what part of the report are you seeing those DSP figures? The info I can see is in Table H2 which shows €55M for 2018 and €63.61M for 2019. the number of recipients for 2018 is given as 443,580 and 455,439 for 2019 in Table H5.

Thank you. I wasn't seeing the total given to the TV license by the DSP.

So DSP get a discount price

~€124 per household benefit scheme in 2018
    and
    ~€140 per household benefit scheme in 2019

I will take a look again as to why the number of HSB are out for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,405 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Elmo wrote: »
    Thank you. I wasn't seeing the total given to the TV license by the DSP.

So DSP get a discount price

~€124 per household benefit scheme in 2018
    and
    ~€140 per household benefit scheme in 2019

I will take a look again as to why the number of HSB are out for me.

this gives the impression that the DSP pays an amount per year that is not strictly linked to the number of recipients https://www.thejournal.ie/free-tv-licence-cut-rte-social-protection-communications-1129242-Oct2013/

this gives the impression that the DSP pays an amount per year that is not strictly linked to the number of recipients https://www.thejournal.ie/free-tv-licence-cut-rte-social-protection-communications-1129242-Oct2013/

So basically tell the License Fee payer that that they are not paying enough, when the government doesn't pay their fair share!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Something that may affect the figures is that the DSP appears to buy the free licences a day at a time ie if you get the free licence on your birthday but then die 4 weeks later there has only been a licence issued for 4 weeks

So basically tell the License Fee payer that that they are not paying enough, when the government doesn't pay their fair share!

i'm not sure that is quite how I would put it.
    SPDUB wrote: »
    Something that may affect the figures is that the DSP appears to buy the free licences a day at a time ie if you get the free licence on your birthday but then die 4 weeks later there has only been a licence issued for 4 weeks

the article I linked to suggests they don't buy individual licences at all. They pay a fixed amount every year to cover the licences they need, irrespective of how many that is.

• Advertisement

i'm not sure that is quite how I would put it.

the article I linked to suggests they don't buy individual licences at all. They pay a fixed amount every year to cover the licences they need, irrespective of how many that is.

It should be based on the numbers that are receiving the benefit.

RTÉ get a monthly payment from the Dept of Media.

If in a month 400 people go on the Household benefit they should pay 160 for each of those households and the charge should be made every June until the people over 70 in those household .... die .... brutal I know but .... we all die ... :pac:

SPDUB wrote: »

Wow, that'd be one organized department :D particularly considering they sent my 107 year old granny a final notice warning .... for the TV license ...

It should be based on the numbers that are receiving the benefit.

RTÉ get a monthly payment from the Dept of Media.

If in a month 400 people go on the Household benefit they should pay 160 for each of those households and the charge should be made every June until the people over 70 in those household .... die .... brutal I know but .... we all die ... :pac:

I imagine they don't want the admin overhead.

I imagine they don't want the admin overhead.

Imagine policy administration not wanting to administer.

In other news the Oireachtas committee wants to appoint Larry Bass to the Board of RTÉ.

You might know him from such shows as

You’re A Star
    Fame
    The Voice of Ireland
    DWTS

Current RTÉ board members are seeking advice.

• Advertisement

Imagine policy administration not wanting to administer.

they don't want to administer at that micro level and I dont blame them.

they don't want to administer at that micro level and I dont blame them.

Really so your telling me that the DSP doesn’t micro administer

Unemployment payments (JA, JB or PUP, including dependents )
    State pensions
    Family income supplement
    Living alone allowances
    Rent allowance
    Children’s allowance
    And so on

And no one can multiply the number of people on the household benefits packs by €160? At the very least.

Come on now.

Electricity or Gas €1.15 a day payable monthly

Microscopic management

Some people get it direct every month, depending on the monthy/year 32.20, 32.35, 34.50 and 35.65.

While others have it directly added to their electricity bill.

Meanwhile easier to pick a random number to give to the License Fee. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Notice rhetorical adds getting pumped on the radio to pay the TV license
    With a someone whistling to make sound so simple to pay it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

In other news the Oireachtas committee wants to appoint Larry Bass to the Board of RTÉ.

You might know him from such shows as

You’re A Star
    Fame
    The Voice of Ireland
    DWTS

Current RTÉ board members are seeking advice.

Advice on what?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Advice on what?

Anyone connected with those shows should never be let within an asses roar of any ‘Board’…..bar the trapdoor of a hastily erected scaffold.

Advice on what?

Legal advice on the new board members.

RTÉ2 back to copying reality TV series from BBC THREE with .... Glow Up.

Suppose I should be happy they are making TV.

Because RTÉ are underspend by 3million last year they will now commission ....

.... a few dating and reality shows ....

Rather than maybe considering developing some quality drama or comedy.....

In terms of drama ...

Another international scandi-co-pro staring Angelica Ball

and what do to with Amy .... well there's an international co-pro starring .... Dr Quinn Medicine Woman.

Neither of which will attract much attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭political analyst

Because RTÉ are underspend by 3million last year they will now commission ....

.... a few dating and reality shows ....

Rather than maybe considering developing some quality drama or comedy.....

In terms of drama ...

Another international scandi-co-pro staring Angelica Ball
    The upcoming drama production's story includes the Criminal Assets Bureau and the suspects' connection to bombings in Belgium (quite relevant, considering what happened there only 5 years ago!). So I think it'll be worth watching. By the way, that actress's first name is Angeline!
    and what do to with Amy .... well there's an international co-pro starring .... Dr Quinn Medicine Woman.

Neither of which will attract much attention.

If it's set in Ireland and stars Jane Seymour, whose experience also includes being a Bond girl, then why not?!

• Advertisement

The upcoming drama production's story includes the Criminal Assets Bureau and the suspects' connection to bombings in Belgium (quite relevant, considering what happened there only 5 years ago!). So I think it'll be worth watching. By the way, that actress's first name is Angeline!

If it's set in Ireland and stars Jane Seymour, whose experience also includes being a Bond girl, then why not?!

Name the last co-pro with Angeline Ball?
    Name the last "major" co-pro with a relatively famous person?

No offence to either or Amy, its more about RTÉ's idea of how to do drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,309 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Angeline Ball is a massive warning sign for me. Only thing I can watch her in is The commitments. When I watch her in anything else... it's terrible.

I've wasted too much time watching stuff she's been in-it's pretty much always bad.

So I won't be watching it.

Just to remind you

Angeline Ball is a massive warning sign for me. Only thing I can watch her in is The commitments. When I watch her in anything else... it's terrible.

I've wasted too much time watching stuff she's been in-it's pretty much always bad.

So I won't be watching it.

I didn't watch 'Acceptable Risk' but, from the trailers that I saw, I don't think she was convincing in the character of a cop.

Amy Huberman?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/outdated-television-licence-fee-could-be-replaced-by-household-charge-based-on-persons-ability-to-pay-under-new-proposal-40547022.html

The “regressive” and “outdated” television licence fee could be replaced by a household charge based on a person’s ability to pay, a member of the Future of Media Commission has said.

Professor Gillian Doyle told the Oireachtas Media Committee on Wednesday that the commission was considering alternatives to the “device-specific” licence fee which has been replaced in other countries in recent years.

She said a compulsory licence fee, which currently stands at €160 per year in Ireland, used to be very prevalent in many countries but a number of them have moved in away from it in recent years, including the likes of Netherlands, Denmark and Finland.
    The professor of media economics at the Centre for Cultural Policy Research at the University of Glasgow said the idea of voluntary subscriptions from citizens had also been examined but there were questions about whether it could raise enough money in an Irish context.

She said another possibility to replace the licence fee was a government grant or direct exchequer funding. “It's an approach that would remove evasion, promote universality, it has the advantage of making income more stable and predictable,” she said.

However, the academic said said the “snag” was the risk of political interference and said there would be a need for safeguards to ensure the government of the day could not adjust the funding. “We’ve looked at all of those and we're considering them,” Professor Doyle told the committee of the various options to replace the licence fee.

Would a referendum to enshrine RTÉ's editorial independence in the Constitution be feasible?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,309 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I didn't watch 'Acceptable Risk' but, from the trailers that I saw, I don't think she was convincing in the character of a cop.

Angeline Ball's not been convincing since The Commitments. It's a sure sign something is gonna be bad when you see her listed in the cast.

As for Acceptable Risk, It was pretty ridiculous, tbh.

The more it went on, the more ridiculous it got. The plot was very 'American thriller', but that doesn't work in IReland.

I mean, this is Ireland- 'the neighbours' know when you haven't taken the bins out. The whole 'conspiracy', working for a 'secret' organisation... as well as trying to do that in a 6 episode series is just asking for failure.
    And that's what it was.

No.

What a pointless exercise that commission is and was, dead before it ever got going. Obsessed by identity politics and fake news. With only a slight node to the pre-decided conclusion that the Licence Fee was “regressive” and “outdated”.

Very little about the content provided.

I imagine they forgot the over 400,000 license that are given free each year due to the persons ability to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Amy Huberman?

Yes, we need more Amy Huberman. :rolleyes:
    I'd take another 18months of full lockdown if she was never on tv again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Just to remind you

It shows how little I watch RTE anymore that I honestly never heard of this until now. I listen to an awful lot of radio (where as we know RTE incessantly plug other RTE work) and read the papers (incl. the TV critic's choices) yet somehow I missed this completely. Lucky escape I think.........

Advertisement