Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭political analyst

Elmo wrote: »
    No.

What a pointless exercise that commission is and was, dead before it ever got going. Obsessed by identity politics and fake news. With only a slight node to the pre-decided conclusion that the Licence Fee was “regressive” and “outdated”.

Very little about the content provided.

I imagine they forgot the over 400,000 license that are given free each year due to the persons ability to pay.

I guess that, obviously, that fact undermines the claim that the licence fee protects editorial independence.

But isn't it important that the main national public-service broadcaster is independent of the government? Isn't it comparable to the independence of the judiciary?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

It shows how little I watch RTE anymore that I honestly never heard of this until now. I listen to an awful lot of radio (where as we know RTE incessantly plug other RTE work) and read the papers (incl. the TV critic's choices) yet somehow I missed this completely. Lucky escape I think.........

It wasn't that bad. Bit of over acting from some but not bad. Trying to be a Channel 4 Swedish noir police drama kind of thing and not making a bad fist of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I guess that, obviously, that fact undermines the claim that the licence fee protects editorial independence.

But isn't it important that the main national public-service broadcaster is independent of the government? Isn't it comparable to the independence of the judiciary?

It is especially when the government don't fully cover all of the "free" licence fees and when they were able to cut it pretty handily.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,827 ✭✭✭✭elperello

There is no reason that a workable system to remove the funding from direct political control could not be put in place.

It's a bit like the judiciary but not directly comparable. As much as I support Public Service Broadcasting an independent judiciary is much more fundamental to our democracy.

By the way, the free TV licence given by DSP as part of the Household Package to over 70's is not linked to ability to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

elperello wrote: »
    There is no reason that a workable system to remove the funding from direct political control could not be put in place.

It's a bit like the judiciary but not directly comparable. As much as I support Public Service Broadcasting an independent judiciary is much more fundamental to our democracy.

By the way, the free TV licence given by DSP as part of the Household Package to over 70's is not linked to ability to pay.

Why should it be, pal?

• Advertisement

elperello wrote: »

I agree but I don't think it should be put in the constitution

By the way its not just the over 70's that get the Household Package.

Carers (on Carer's Allowance)
    between 66 and 70 and getting: -
    - Deserted Wife’s Benefit
    - Garda Widow’s Pension
    - If you are from a country with a bilateral agreement with Ireland etc
    Incapacity Supplement (for at least 12 months) with Disablement Benefit
    - You are aged between 66 and 70 and not receiving a qualified payment, and satisfy a means test

Under 66
    - Disability Allowance
    - Invalidity Pension
    - Blind Pension
    - and the last 2 above

all of these terms and more from a Department that doesn't every micro manage payments or means tests!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,205 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

RTE is showing 4 or 5 year old episodes of Apres Match along with their Euro's coverage, trying to con people in to thinking they are new, either have new episodes or don't bother, such a bloody basket case organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,307 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

RTE is showing 4 or 5 year old episodes of Apres Match along with their Euro's coverage, trying to con people in to thinking they are new, either have new episodes or don't bother, such a bloody basket case organisation.

I half expect them to reair the entirety of Glenroe.

TG4 are just repeating the oldest shows you can imagine. Not even great ones, just 'filler'.

I half expect them to reair the entirety of Glenroe.

TG4 are just repeating the oldest shows you can imagine. Not even great ones, just 'filler'.

I wouldn’t mind if either rebroadcast dramas, TG4 are better than RTÉ at rebroadcasting comedy and drama but it took the pandemic for RTÉ to even consider repeating Batchelors Walk.

Yet they have time to repeat Ear To The Ground from before lockdown! A largely current affairs program, which they won’t even repeat on their news channel.

I wouldn’t mind if either rebroadcast dramas, TG4 are better than RTÉ at rebroadcasting comedy and drama but it took the pandemic for RTÉ to even consider repeating Batchelors Walk.

Yet they have time to repeat Ear To The Ground from before lockdown! A largely current affairs program, which they won’t even repeat on their news channel.

Just as long as they don't re-air 'The Last furlong'...

That was the moment Simon Delaney's career died, since he wrote, produced, and starred in that television abortion.

It's worse than the Big Bow Wow.. legitimately worse.

• Advertisement

Just as long as they don't re-air 'The Last furlong'...

That was the moment Simon Delaney's career died, since he wrote, produced, and starred in that television abortion.

It's worse than the Big Bow Wow.. legitimately worse.

Hope they will air ‘Leave it to Mrs O Brien’ soon…….

Excellent production….

Hope they will air ‘Leave it to Mrs O Brien’ soon…….

Excellent production….

N7rA.gif

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

RTÉ once again with their finger on the pulse showing the England v Czech Republic game on RTÉ2 which is essentially a dead rubber game as both are qualified for the last 16, as opposed to showing the Scotland v Croatia game, which is basically winner qualify's for the 2nd round, loser goes home......

Yes they are showing it on RTÉ News Now, but that means no HD, and watching in fuzzy vision...

RTÉ once again with their finger on the pulse showing the England v Czech Republic game on RTÉ2 which is essentially a dead rubber game as both are qualified for the last 16, as opposed to showing the Scotland v Croatia game, which is basically winner qualify's for the 2nd round, loser goes home......

Yes they are showing it on RTÉ News Now, but that means no HD, and watching in fuzzy vision...

A bit melodramatic, don't you think?! Colour TV is colour TV, whether it's SD or HD.

A bit melodramatic, don't you think?! Colour TV is colour TV, whether it's SD or HD.

The RTÉ News channels version of SD is not even SD. I'd normally say you'd have to be very fussy to see the difference but RTÉ News is possibly the worst quality of SD. (Not sure what it is like on Sky or Virgin Media).

I often wonder why RTÉ sold the 2016 rights to TV3. Was purely to help out an ailing friend or to recoup some money. I think it was to save TV3 from UTV Ireland more so than anything else. Since then RTÉ have failed to share sports rights with any broadcaster for the last WC or this years Euros. Surely Virgin Media with its sports channels might have been interested in some of the Euros even the second choice clashing matches.

and then this year to put the clashing matches on a channel that doesn't carry advertising and that is only available in FUZZYVISION

The RTÉ News channels version of SD is not even SD. I'd normally say you'd have to be very fussy to see the difference but RTÉ News is possibly the worst quality of SD. (Not sure what it is like on Sky or Virgin Media).

I often wonder why RTÉ sold the 2016 rights to TV3. Was purely to help out an ailing friend or to recoup some money. I think it was to save TV3 from UTV Ireland more so than anything else. Since then RTÉ have failed to share sports rights with any broadcaster for the last WC or this years Euros. Surely Virgin Media with its sports channels might have been interested in some of the Euros even the second choice clashing matches.

and then this year to put the clashing matches on a channel that doesn't carry advertising and that is only available in FUZZYVISION

Presumably, the match in which England was playing was shown on RTÉ 2 because it was much more prominent than the match in which Scotland was playing - given that the English team is the most prominent in the British Isles - and so RTÉ believed it would attract a greater number of viewers. The Scottish team's defeat vindicates RTÉ's decision.

Presumably, the match in which England was playing was shown on RTÉ 2 because it was much more prominent than the match in which Scotland was playing - given that the English team is the most prominent in the British Isles - and so RTÉ believed it would attract a greater number of viewers. The Scottish team's defeat vindicates RTÉ's decision.

Not really as the poster pointed out England had already qualified, it was a match to win for our celtic brothers.

So RTÉ's annual report into commissing has been released.

As we knew they missed their target by 3.5 million or so, which will be carried over to next year.

Drama and Comedy consisted of the following programmes: -
    Comedy - Non-scripted
    The Tommy Teirnan Show
    Clear History
    Comedy - Scripted
    Callahan Kicks the Year (Did this air in 2019?)
    Drama
    Kin (to be shown if we are lucky this season)
    North Sea Connection (a co-pro commissioned in sweden and given funding by the BAI before RTÉ got involved, not yet broadcast)

What do you do when your the head of Drama at RTÉ.... ask if you can take on scripted comedy.... what do you do when your head of drama and scripted comedy .... asked if you can take on non-scripted comedy .... what do you do if none of your drama productions aired in 2020 ... a sure stick them in until you find something to tack on to your portfiolio of nothing.

I point out that the two drama's have yet to be broadcast because generally when a show is commissioned/produced in one year but not broadcast until the following year it is considered part of the following years budget, yet some how these 2 drama haven't been broadcast but get special treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

So RTÉ's annual report into commissing has been released.

As we knew they missed their target by 3.5 million or so, which will be carried over to next year.

Drama and Comedy consisted of the following programmes: -
    Comedy - Non-scripted
    The Tommy Teirnan Show
    Clear History
    Comedy - Scripted
    Callahan Kicks the Year (Did this air in 2019?)
    Drama
    Kin (to be shown if we are lucky this season)
    North Sea Connection (a co-pro commissioned in sweden and given funding by the BAI before RTÉ got involved, not yet broadcast)

What do you do when your the head of Drama at RTÉ.... ask if you can take on scripted comedy.... what do you do when your head of drama and scripted comedy .... asked if you can take on non-scripted comedy .... what do you do if none of your drama productions aired in 2020 ... a sure stick them in until you find something to tack on to your portfiolio of nothing.

I point out that the two drama's have yet to be broadcast because generally when a show is commissioned/produced in one year but not broadcast until the following year it is considered part of the following years budget, yet some how these 2 drama haven't been broadcast but get special treatment.

How is this platform surviving in 2021 with all the online streaming services ?
    With the exception of Sport I don't know anyone who watches RTE or Live TV anymore all my work collogues talk about is what's on Netflix & YouTube.

With the exception of Sport I don't know anyone who watches RTE or Live TV anymore all my work collogues talk about is what's on Netflix & YouTube.

Not just about broadcasting. #PlatformNeutrality

RTÉ could better utilize You Tube.... but then most youtubers have more content than RTÉ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Huge number of households still only have Saorview, there would be older people who would only watch the news and a few soaps, lots of people only have telly on for noise, don't care what's on, would explain why VM123 still exist

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Huge number of households still only have Saorview, there would be older people who would only watch the news and a few soaps, lots of people only have telly on for noise, don't care what's on, would explain why VM123 still exist

Point taken - I just have a bee in my bonnet about the license fee kills me having to pay this once a year for something myself and my family don't use. Would rather spend the money on a premium YouTube subscription and not pay anything toward these 'stars' salaries..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 989 ✭✭✭ineedeuro

First off Ireland doesn't have broadband for a lot of people, in my parents house at the moment they have BB with speeds less than 1Mbps. Not going to stream much on that.

Plus even if they had connectivity trying to explain how to setup and run netflix etc and they just wouldn't care. For all the tv they watch it is the news and then whatever rubbish is on that evening if they watch it at all......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 989 ✭✭✭ineedeuro

Point taken - I just have a bee in my bonnet about the license fee kills me having to pay this once a year for something myself and my family don't use. Would rather spend the money on a premium YouTube subscription and not pay anything toward these 'stars' salaries..

Premium youtube at the moment costs me 2 quid a month :P

Anyway RTE needs to be kept going and has a place in modern Irish society. It just need to find a way to stop burning millions while delivering very little for the Irish population.
    It is good to see they are getting back rugby onto the station which should help club rugby expand in Ireland. They need to concentrate on that sort of thing, not spending money buying a show 5 years old from some US channel

Front of RTE's entertainment section 'Listen: Proper geyser Damon Albarn to release new solo album'...

Can people not spell 'geezer'?

Front of RTE's entertainment section 'Listen: Proper geyser Damon Albarn to release new solo album'...

800px-Strokkur_geyser_eruption%2C_close-up_view.jpg

Who you calling a geezer?

Long slippery slope to nonentity, RabbleRouser

We are Losing the battle ‘done..seen..gone….went… nooze…. quawter…’

Only good thing is it helps to pick out the ‘scrote ‘ from the decent skin.

Now infesting the National Airwaves, the Dáil, the professions might be our last chance.

Sorry lads, we are on a slippery slope, lack of real ‘education’ is rearing its ugly head.

Not really as the poster pointed out England had already qualified, it was a match to win for our celtic brothers.

England's football team is still much more prominent than Scotland's. I suspect that RTÉ's decision to show England's match on RTÉ 2 was influenced by the broadcasting of the same match on the ITV Network (except for STV, which showed the Scotland match - and so the England match was simulcast on ITV 2).

England's football team is still much more prominent than Scotland's. I suspect that RTÉ's decision to show England's match on RTÉ 2 was influenced by the broadcasting of the same match on the ITV Network (except for STV, which showed the Scotland match - and so the England match was simulcast on ITV 2).

But we are a much more mature country that can support our fellow brethren in Scotland.... right???? oh! no... we are only mature enough to support na Sasanach. :rolleyes:

My statement still stands as to why RTÉ failed to consider selling some of the games to Virgin Media as they had done in 2016. and my statement still stands on the News channel.... that carries no ads.

Also trust me if people had want to catch the English Match on UTV/ITV they would have been quick to tune it in, and those in Soarview and Virgin Media Land might have noticed how incredibly poor the RTÉ News channel is. I don't think they even highlighted it much that the clashing games were on their news channel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭DrSerious3

Long slippery slope to nonentity, RabbleRouser

We are Losing the battle ‘done..seen..gone….went… nooze…. quawter…’

Only good thing is it helps to pick out the ‘scrote ‘ from the decent skin.

Now infesting the National Airwaves, the Dáil, the professions might be our last chance.

Sorry lads, we are on a slippery slope, lack of real ‘education’ is rearing its ugly head.

I disagree with that rather snobby appraisal. Most people, educated or otherwise, just don't care as much as you do about what is a peripheral issue, although one you constantly mention.

Advertisement