Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 989 ✭✭✭ineedeuro

RTE the most trusted news in Ireland
    F**k me.....78% trust them

RTE think they are doing a good job because of Covid. That will be a request for another few million from the government
    We only really have ourselves to blame

• Registered Users Posts: 19,467 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

DrSerious3 wrote: »
    I disagree with that rather snobby appraisal. Most people, educated or otherwise, just don't care as much as you do about what is a peripheral issue, although one you constantly mention.

You are perfectly right there, Doctor.

But…hey…. If that’s the way you want to operate……..

I just believe it’s just as easy to say ‘I saw the incident’ rather than ‘ I seen the incident’.

But ..if you want to do the wrong thing, I can’t help you, a chara.

Just typecast yourself if that’s your bag.

Elmo wrote: »
    But we are a much more mature country that can support our fellow brethren in Scotland.... right???? oh! no... we are only mature enough to support na Sasanach. :rolleyes:

My statement still stands as to why RTÉ failed to consider selling some of the games to Virgin Media as they had done in 2016. and my statement still stands on the News channel.... that carries no ads.

Also trust me if people had want to catch the English Match on UTV/ITV they would have been quick to tune it in, and those in Soarview and Virgin Media Land might have noticed how incredibly poor the RTÉ News channel is. I don't think they even highlighted it much that the clashing games were on their news channel.

Are the games not picked in advance? I expect its a guess on which might be the better game so going with England is the obvious choice. No point trying to find problems when they don't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

ineedeuro wrote: »
    Are the games not picked in advance? I expect its a guess on which might be the better game so going with England is the obvious choice. No point trying to find problems when they don't exist.

I am sure there are, I am only replying to the poster, who originally suggested the Scotland game over the England game, as there was more at stake, IMO I don't like soccer and have no interest. There are always reasons as to why you choose one thing over another.

But its not me that's nit picking I put it to you the way RTÉ would put it.

As a public service broadcaster we provided a 24 hour news services that carries no ads.

As a public service broadcaster we must air large events such as the euros, "special events" if you like.

Why not axe the News channel?
    Why not sell part of the rights to the euro's to Virgin Media?

If they are causing you losses.

Elmo wrote: »
    I am sure there are, I am only replying to the poster, who originally suggested the Scotland game over the England game, as there was more at stake, IMO I don't like soccer and have no interest. There are always reasons as to why you choose one thing over another.

But its not me that's nit picking I put it to you the way RTÉ would put it.

As a public service broadcaster we provided a 24 hour news services that carries no ads.

As a public service broadcaster we must air large events such as the euros, "special events" if you like.

Why not axe the News channel?
    Why not sell part of the rights to the euro's to Virgin Media?

If they are causing you losses.

Axe 2FM before you go after anything else, that is a serious waste of money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Axe 2FM before you go after anything else, that is a serious waste of money

It was a running joke about how '2fm went from being on the pulse of what was hot in Ireland' to 'now barely having a pulse'.

That was in the late 2000s. Fast forward 10+ years, and it's not even clued in to what's popular. It's presenters are trading on nostalgia, hoping that that will stay relevant to the 'masses'. Nope... it's relevant to a tiny portion of the audience, and none of them are under 18. Even 18+ have spotify. The tiny (and let's be honest, it is tiny) audience 2fm have wouldn't even sustain the average spotify playlist.

It was a running joke about how '2fm went from being on the pulse of what was hot in Ireland' to 'now barely having a pulse'.

That was in the late 2000s. Fast forward 10+ years, and it's not even clued in to what's popular. It's presenters are trading on nostalgia, hoping that that will stay relevant to the 'masses'. Nope... it's relevant to a tiny portion of the audience, and none of them are under 18. Even 18+ have spotify. The tiny (and let's be honest, it is tiny) audience 2fm have wouldn't even sustain the average spotify playlist.

They should have put 2FM into the same coffin as Gerry.
    Imagine a radio station with a 35 year old doing hot gossip and acting like a teenager to emulate her father. It's a car crash station.

Only real reason the were surviving in the last 2000s was because of Gerry Ryan and even he was slowly losing an audience. Only to be replaced for 5 years by Ryan Tubrity who they kept in that position when it was clear he wasn't getting andience, while paying him top rate.
    according to the JNLR figures, Tubridy has lost a massive 124,000 people from his audience since he took over the radio slot from the late Gerry Ryan in 2010.
    Dipping figures have been a constant worry for Ryan, and last year he admitted that if his figures continued to slump, he would have to seriously rethink his position and future career in radio.

Those scathing remarks from joe.ie!

https://www.joe.ie/life-style/ryan-tubridy-is-a-major-turn-off-for-irish-radio-listeners-35664

That was in May 2012

a year later
    And although his own weekday show listenership has dropped to 159,000 according to the latest JNLR figures, Tubridy said that he's feeling confident about the months ahead.

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/ryan-tubridy-determined-to-improve-2fm-shows-listenership-29254029.html
    His total listenership now stands at 144,000, which is 1,000 less than ex-Westlife star Nicky Byrne, whose show with Jenny Greene took a slight dip down from 151,000 to 145,000.

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/radio/rte-deny-reports-ryan-tubridy-is-moving-to-ronan-collins-slot-on-rte-radio-one-30492556.html
    RTÉ pointed out its “book-on-book” figures — comparing listenerships from the last quarter of 2014 to the first quarter of 2015 — for both stations showed gains for a number of its stars including 2fm’s Ryan Tubridy (189,000 listeners)

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-20328105.html

But they kept paying him, kept saying if we don't have him someone else will. :rolleyes:

They should have put 2FM into the same coffin as Gerry.
    Imagine a radio station with a 35 year old doing hot gossip and acting like a teenager to emulate her father. It's a car crash station.

Nothing sadder than 40 year olds trying to act like 'hello fellow kids'.
    Wouldn't be so bad if they were 'actually' up to date, but by the time she does the 'entertainment gossip' it's old news. Everyone knows it. The internet killed the radio star.

Or the radio 'personality'.

Wouldn't be so bad if they were 'actually' up to date, but by the time she does the 'entertainment gossip' it's old news. Everyone knows it. The internet killed the radio star.

Interesting radio numbers are up all over the country. So radio is far from dead.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/covid-19-crisis-prompted-huge-surge-in-radio-listenership-first-figures-show-1.4401069

Radio 1 is flying. Yet

RTÉ 2fm’s market share slipped back to 5.8 per cent, down from 6.4 per cent a year ago, with its weekday peak-time shows dropping back especially at key travel times. “I’m not surprised we took a thump,” said head of 2fm Dan Healy. “We’ve just got to take this one.”

Talk about flogging a dead horse at this stage. It seems 2FM was the only station losing listeners

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

personality, that made me chuckle

1874 wrote: »
    personality, that made me chuckle

It's the usual go to for 'we have no idea what they do for a living' title that Irish media use to describe a person.
    Case in point - 'Mairead Farrell aka Ronan aka Nahasapeemapetilan'... when she got divorced from husband number one, RTE described her as a 'personality'...

She didn't earn the right to be called 'presenter'. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Loved that quote from 9 years ago:

"Poor Ryan Tubridy, it seems that even though he’s given up talking about himself on his radio programme, listeners just aren’t interested".

So he was chatting about himself 9 yrs ago too.
    So the format hasn;t changed!

NIMAN wrote: »
    Loved that quote from 9 years ago:

"Poor Ryan Tubridy, it seems that even though he’s given up talking about himself on his radio programme, listeners just aren’t interested".

So he was chatting about himself 9 yrs ago too.
    So the format hasn;t changed!

If you are constantly been told you are great why would you change?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,520 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They won't mention the sex of the spectator who disrupted the Tour De France because it's a woman, if it was a man it would be a different story, joke of an organisation.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0627/1231583-tour-de-france/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Wonder what rte would save by doing the decent thing with 2fm am a bit older so 2fm would hold no interest really but it seems well past relevance to the audience today with all the choices now .When it first started there was a place for it am sure but not now Gerry Ryan had a few years of a decent show but he was winging it for the last few years living off past glories .

They won't mention the sex of the spectator who disrupted the Tour De France because it's a woman, if it was a man it would be a different story, joke of an organisation.

Probably scared of the 'pronoun' police coming out for them.

It's the middle of 'Pride' aka the corporatization of being anything but heterosexual.

If they say 'woman'... and it turns out they identify with another pronoun, all hell will reign down.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Because it's entirely irrelevant? They'd have said spectator no matter what as that's how to formally report it. Any thinking otherwise is people's own imagination of things being wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Weepsie wrote: »
    Because it's entirely irrelevant? They'd have said spectator no matter what as that's how to formally report it. Any thinking otherwise is people's own imagination of things being wrong

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2020/0604/1145390-ahmaud-arbery-gregory-mcmichael-travis-mcmichaell/

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-57631134

I'm not sure it really matters but the BBC report it like so

Tour de France: Police seek spectator after crash
    The female spectator was spotted leaning into the path of the speeding peloton, holding a sign, in the Finistère region of Brittany.

• Advertisement

TV Advertising fell by 7%, RTE TV grew its audience by 6%!

Making them in and around their TV income from 2019. On a quick glance.

Anyone know how the Radio Market did?

Soooo... how happy will RTE be with this new 'extension' on the lockdown?

Probably means they're gonna get more material for the next 4 weeks. Claire Byrne was most definitely doing the spin before Micheal came out and gave his speech.

Soooo... how happy will RTE be with this new 'extension' on the lockdown?

Probably means they're gonna get more material for the next 4 weeks. Claire Byrne was most definitely doing the spin before Micheal came out and gave his speech.

In fairness to them they need a break, they have been working very very hard, as they normally do, which means they need to take their usual summer holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

One thing I've been reminded of from watching the coverage of the Euros is how tone deaf RTE are.

- ads for a show about Ireland's rich list
    - the usual property makeover shows
    - that laughable one about them being an impartial and trustworthy source of news

... You'd think that seeing as they have every talk radio show and news bulletins covering the frustrations of people struggling to keep a roof over their heads or even just knowing when they can go back to work, that someone might have realised "hmmm, maybe this isn't the time for these shows"

But then, this is RTE after all!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

They have an ad for a show called Battle of the food trucks that is only available on the RTE Player. Here is a novel suggestion, drop the repeats and any show destined for the RTE Player should be broadcast on RTE 1 or 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

skimpydoo wrote: »
    They have an ad for a show called Battle of the food trucks that is only available on the RTE Player. Here is a novel suggestion, drop the repeats and any show destined for the RTE Player should be broadcast on RTE 1 or 2.

It'll be on RTE 2 in a month or so,

It'll be on RTE 2 in a month or so,

I wonder if it will. The episodes are only 14 minutes long. In any case RTÉ have only decided to move the "pilot" shows from RTÉ2 to RTÉ Player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    One thing I've been reminded of from watching the coverage of the Euros is how tone deaf RTE are.

- ads for a show about Ireland's rich list
    - the usual property makeover shows
    - that laughable one about them being an impartial and trustworthy source of news

... You'd think that seeing as they have every talk radio show and news bulletins covering the frustrations of people struggling to keep a roof over their heads or even just knowing when they can go back to work, that someone might have realised "hmmm, maybe this isn't the time for these shows"

But then, this is RTE after all!

And the ad for that pile of muck has a Ferrari at the end you could buy for 10 grand
    You would think they could stretch to a more expensive model

skimpydoo wrote: »

No... No... leave it on RTE player. It's got that 'James Patrice' irritant on it.
    Nobody will see it on the player, because it's more broken than a Government promise.

The adverts alone are painful to sit through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

And the ad for that pile of muck has a Ferrari at the end you could buy for 10 grand
    You would think they could stretch to a more expensive model

I'm guessing those who think this stuff up are of an age,
    Sort of 80s Sunday World types,

Advertisement