Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    On that note, whatever happened to good British TV comedy? Up to about ten years ago it was really strong and it just seems to have fallen off a cliff. I can't think of anything worth a watch now.

the snowflakes and easily offended pc brigade came along

• Registered Users Posts: 8,313 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

neris wrote: »
    the snowflakes and easily offended pc brigade came along

Pretty much-there aren't very many British comedy shows that I would sit down and watch nowadays. There are a few productions that I thought were alright-Women on the Verge wasn't bad. Young Offenders is British produced but not British.

But the last number of British sitcoms were 'Miranda' and 'Mrs Browns Boys'...and those two shows had me reaching for the remote every damn time.
    As did 'Not Going Out'-and I actually do like Lee Mack as a standup. But his show is pants.

Comedy's fallen a long way in the last few years. There's too many 'comedians' who aren't funny or can't act being put into shows-Romesh Ranganathan has a new sitcom about being a pub landlord. It's pants.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,411 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Pretty much-there aren't very many British comedy shows that I would sit down and watch nowadays. There are a few productions that I thought were alright-Women on the Verge wasn't bad. Young Offenders is British produced but not British.

But the last number of British sitcoms were 'Miranda' and 'Mrs Browns Boys'...and those two shows had me reaching for the remote every damn time.
    As did 'Not Going Out'-and I actually do like Lee Mack as a standup. But his show is pants.

Comedy's fallen a long way in the last few years. There's too many 'comedians' who aren't funny or can't act being put into shows-Romesh Ranganathan has a new sitcom about being a pub landlord. It's pants.

Are you stuck in the 90s ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Graniteville

smurgen wrote: »
    Won’t be paying.my dad done a few hours inside over not paying his last year.will do the same route. Means sweet f all and they don’t deserve it.

Complete and utter b=ullsh1t.

You don't go to prison for non payment of tv licence.

Previously you went to prison for not adhering to a court order of paying a fine for not having a licence, but now they simply deduct the fine from wages / social welfare or make you do community service.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

TallGlass wrote: »
    Well, you need to be performing or you'll get the boot, Fair City is mediocre at best, if it was any good the BBC, ITV, C4 would be relaying it into the UK like RTE/Virgin do.

And it did broadcast in the UK from late April 2017 to July 2018. Fair City was broadcast on STV2 in Scotland. It was an free to view channel for Sky viewers in Scotland. It closed there back in July of this year. It had shown classic episodes of it along with direct simulcasts with RTÉ One for a while. Although since the channel closed the show now appears to be no longer broadcast on STV anymore.

• Advertisement

Only RTE can advertise a movie-The BFG-for most of last week... then turn around and show a repeat of Paddington.

Idiots.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Political correspondent Martina Fitzgerald has not had her 5 year contract renewed!!

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/martina-fitzgerald-devastated-after-losing-rte-political-correspondent-role-37608113.html

“It is also understood that she has spoken to solicitors and is considering the various legal options available to her. "Martina is shocked and devastated by the decision," one source said.”

There you have it folks, if ever you needed reminding of the entitlement culture that exists in Montrose....

Her contract expired, and has not been renewed so she’s seeking legal advise on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Political correspondent Martina Fitzgerald has not had her 5 year contract renewed!!

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/martina-fitzgerald-devastated-after-losing-rte-political-correspondent-role-37608113.html

“It is also understood that she has spoken to solicitors and is considering the various legal options available to her. "Martina is shocked and devastated by the decision," one source said.”

There you have it folks, if ever you needed reminding of the entitlement culture that exists in Montrose....

Her contract expired, and has not been renewed so she’s seeking legal advise on the matter.

Fair enough, choose to ignore the fact that the one person who puts it up to them about the gender pay gap ends up being replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,430 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Fair enough, choose to ignore the fact that the one person who puts it up to them about the gender pay gap ends up being replaced.

Haven't seen a male newsreader since.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

If only they wouldn't renew the contracts of Joe Duffy, Turdriddy and F'Arcy....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,411 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

One person?

RTE have been riding the gender issue ragged for some time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Caspian Petite Corner

Wouldn't be surprised if they replaced her with McDermott or Lotty ryan (joking now)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

One person?

You’re right. It’s been more than 1
    sharon ní bheoláin wasnt quite about it either. She got demoted just as Martina Fitzgerald has been!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

One person?

Absolutely, and almost to the point of craziness. Two separate reports stood out to me in particular in recent weeks. One about the rising number of females self harming, even though men kill themselves multiple times more. And another where they talk about the rising number of homeless females, even though there are multiples more men affected by homelessness. Much of the reporting they do now has a pervasive pro woman agenda attached to it.

If the angle can be that women are victims, they run with it. I hate that they have let gender and identity politics infect them.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

I wouldn’t mind if the licensing was their only source of revenue but they also have massive ad revenues too.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

I wouldn’t mind if the licensing was their only source of revenue but they also have massive ad revenues too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Fitzgerald was mediocre at best. Having personal opinions and making them public is not what a political correspondent should do. Plus the constant swallowing mid sentence did my rag completely. Other journalists who work for RTE are more professional at the job. Seeking legal advice my arse lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

She's not actually sacked tho...just not the political correspondent anymore?
    Suppose if you get too pally with those in the corridors of power then what else could you expect, that and the grating voice

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    Fitzgerald was mediocre at best. Having personal opinions and making them public is not what a political correspondent should do. Plus the constant swallowing mid sentence did my rag completely. Other journalists who work for RTE are more professional at the job. Seeking legal advice my arse lol.

She could never hide her disdain for Sinn Fein.

What's it got to do with Mary Mitchell O Connor anyway. Hasn't she a dept to be running? Politicians have no business sticking their noses into the running of RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

sligojoek wrote: »
    She could never hide her disdain for Sinn Fein.

What's it got to do with Mary Mitchell O Connor anyway. Hasn't she a dept to be running? Politicians have no business sticking their noses into the running of RTE.

+1 on this.

Another person who has assumed a position not on merit, but at least partially because of her sex. Her performance in her role has been appalling and I'd posit were she a male she'd have been removed from the cabinet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

+1 on this.

Another person who has assumed a position not on merit, but at least partially because of her sex. Her performance in her role has been appalling and I'd posit were she a male she'd have been removed from the cabinet.

If she were competent she probably wouldn't be in the cabinet either, as she'd be a potential threat and difficult to control. The great thing about promoting mediocrities is that they won't be a viable challenger and they will be loyal and grateful to you as they know their position depends on your continuing favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Their commercial revenue in 2007 was significantly higher, but was their best year:

2007: €245,453,000
    2017: €151,508,000

TV license revenue:

2007: €195,699,000
    2017: €186,068,000

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

She could never hide her disdain for Sinn Fein

That's pretty much in line with everyone else in RTE! It's probably a prerequisite to gaining employment there in the first place!

Their commercial revenue in 2007 was significantly higher, but was their best year:

2007: €245,453,000
    2017: €151,508,000

TV license revenue:

2007: €195,699,000
    2017: €186,068,000

That's quite intriguing. So there was a definite shift in the last ten years, away from RTE and away from the TV license.
    Almost as if people ditched their tv's and chose to use tablets, and laptops instead.
    I mean, you can get netflix via laptop, so you technically don't need a TV.

Just out of curiosity, say you have a widescreen PC monitor, rather than a widescreen tv, would a tv license inspector be able to claim you're using that to watch terrestrial television? Or would you have to bring em in and show em 'it's a dell' or whatever?

+1 on this.

Spot on, why can't the bald facts be stated without the protection of gender bias. She's a turkey, and should accordingly get stuffed.

Spot on, why can't the bald facts be stated without the protection of gender bias. She's a turkey, and should accordingly get stuffed.

RTE snagged Laura Hogan from Virgin Media (formerly Tv3) and I have the feeling they'll give her the Political Correspondent role. She was significantly better than Martina when covering Politics on Virgin Media.

It's not as if Martina was fired-she's just bitter she was demoted.

That's quite intriguing. So there was a definite shift in the last ten years, away from RTE and away from the TV license.
    Almost as if people ditched their tv's and chose to use tablets, and laptops instead.
    I mean, you can get netflix via laptop, so you technically don't need a TV.

Just out of curiosity, say you have a widescreen PC monitor, rather than a widescreen tv, would a tv license inspector be able to claim you're using that to watch terrestrial television? Or would you have to bring em in and show em 'it's a dell' or whatever?

Shouldn't be a problem as long as there's no satellite dish or arial

Shouldn't be a problem as long as there's no satellite dish or arial

Some wifi's do have aerials tho. Had one with Virgin Internet in the last house I lived in.

Some wifi's do have aerials tho. Had one with Virgin Internet in the last house I lived in.

I meant a UHF Arial capable of receiving Saorview

• Advertisement

I meant a UHF Arial capable of receiving Saorview

Ah, okay. Thanks dude.

Advertisement