Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Is RTE still poking fun at God.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I've already outlined my position regarding a Public Broadcasting Service many times on this thread and others.

We need to decide what sort of PBS we want and how we want to pay for it.

Obviously the decision on the nature of PBS will require input from anyone interested.

As for funding I think the licence is an outmoded relic of the 20th century and should be abolished.

I favour direct exchequer funding which would remove all collection costs ,evasion

PBS TV would be free at point of use just like radio is today.

I have also posted in the past supporting LYRIC and I am in favour of keeping them in Limerick.

In conclusion, it is a given that RTE like any part of the public service should be accountable for their spending of public money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭RoTelly

But Elperello this is what I mean.

Clearly after RTÉ had produced a report for Prime Time which examined the axing of Lyric FM, then RTÉ appearance before the Oireachtas committee, followed by a wide ranging discussion in the dail which all resulted in €10m for RTÉ. Is that not discussion a top level discussion by our elected representives "deciding what sort of PBS we want and how we want to pay for it".

The government gave RTÉ €10m from the exchequer and RTÉ then proceeded to cut funding to the service that the elected representatives were trying to save.

They have done what you have asked now when a decision is made how do you feel when RTÉ make a cut to that same service?

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭political analyst

Paul Reynolds, whose father was a garda, doesn't sound tabloid at all - he speaks with authority. TV journalists who are the children or grandchildren of police and military personnel are some of the best ones, e.g. James Mates, Alastair Stewart, Julia Somerville, Mark Urban.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

I've changed my mind on Lyric - I used to support their existence in terms of providing otherwise non-commercially viable programming as part of the PSB remit - but times have changed. There is a host of Lyric alternatives available and I no longer see why it should be funded by the taxpayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,587 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

And RTE shows feed each other with content, hence the reason the 3 main shows are hyped and talked about to death.

Operation Transformation is talked about on the Darcy Show non-stop.

DWTS gets a lot of time too, and on the Tubs radio show.

And don't forget how much Late Late Show is filled up with people from OT, DWTS.

And also whenever RTE has a big drama on, be it Kin or Smother, it too will fill a lot of radio discussion slots.

Its feeds itself. Keeps everyone relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

I think this is a pretty good analysis of RTE: https://www.youtube.com/embed/WD7CD-02CJE

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Ballycommon Mast

There is an interesting situation that an number of 2fm djs who were hired by John Clarke in the 00s are unsackable RTE staffers, that's why Rick O'Shea and Will Leahy were rehoused on RTE Gold . Recently you had 2fm announcing an new schedule leaving out Dan Hegarty who has been on late nights since Summer 2003, Jenny Greene was advertised as the new host of the 10/Midnight indie show, however late last Friday night, 2fm all of a sudden announce that Jenny Greene will now be on 9pm till 11, while Dan Hegarty will be doing a one hour show from 11 till midnight. Did someone not know Hegarty was a staffer ? Was someone hoping he'd take redundancy ?

If your father is or was a Garda you most likely have a bias, and he has increasingly become tabloid in his tackling of organized crime etc.

Next your going to tell me that Emma O'Kelly mother is a Teacher!

RTÉ should look to insure their correspondents rotate every 4 to 6 years, but being in a role for 10 or more is not good for PSB news IMO.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I see what you mean and I have noted your comments.

I don't think I wish to add to my previous posts on this matter just now.

No offence intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

In conclusion, it is a given that RTE like any part of the public service should be accountable for their spending of public money.

Of course they should be accountable but Forbesy seems to have missed the memo. Publishes the top 10 earners whenever she feels like it/suits her strategically. Doesn't publish the other fees/salaries and has basically given the PAC the two fingers. Accountable my arse.

RTÉ are not accountable to PAC, PAC brought them in under employment practices at the company.

RTÉ have some accountability to the The Committee on Media, very little really.

______

Yesterday

I agree with this and the tweet is slightly facetious.

RTÉ have a tendency to hype 3 or so shows.

IMO RTÉ seem to think that the following brands are most important :-

RTÉ Radio 1

The Late Late Show

The Late Late Toy Show

RTÉ ONE

After that there is very little in terms of marketing.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

RTÉ are not accountable to PAC, PAC brought them in under employment practices at the company.

@RoTelly yeah, I'm well aware of the reason Forbes was asked to come before the PAC ^

Running RTÉ wouldn't scare me, would start tomorrow, though I probably be very busy, undoing the current mess :)

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭garrettod

... Please delete..

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Really should be a whine warning before George Lee comes on. Something like a siren and a big red triangle and someone shouting, "George is coming, we are all doomed"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Another great reason for not paying this stupid tax

RTE are all over this Russia war, but the 6 news cannot cut from the rehashed 1 news to cover live stream from the UN like all other MSM

amateurs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

RTE pushing Irish Water big style; Eco eye was basically a free ad for IW and tonight's news was another. Stand by for water charges...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

EcoEye is pure fantasist muck from the delusional mind of Duncan Stewart who was dropped on his head in Chermobyl. 10 minutes of it is enough for the most demure viewer to be shouting at the telly

This is bought in by RTÉ is largely funding by various semi-state bodies not sure about IW, but EPA and the like "sponsor" it.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭political analyst

How many more episodes of the current series of The Tommy Tiernan Show are there to go? How hard did RTÉ look in their search for someone to present a Saturday night chat show?

They had 16 last year so 6 more to go? They previously had just 10 episodes.

Big write up in the SBPost today.

Really RTÉ have no plans to do anything to help themselves, rather lobby the government as to what funding they should get and what services they should be providing.

If I do nothing and just go with the flow, should I pretend that I am having an existential crisis because everything around me is not going my way and I feel like I am look down on myself unable to change because everyone else is to blame. Or should I look at what I have an make the most of it?

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭rightmove

And sure didnt his daughter get a presenting gig also.

Well its rte after all.

So according to the Sunday Times RTÉ have put out a tender for Mass for their news channel.

Mass was original placed on the news channel as part of the Covid response. Personally I see no problem with mass being available RTÉ ONE or Radio 1 on Sunday Mornings, indeed I have no problem with Services (protestant) been broadcast on Sundays. I even support the Angelus. And I can see the reason for Daily mass during the COVID pandemic for older people on the News channel. But even from my perspective I don't see the reason to waste money on a service that can be got from numerous outlets from Radio Maria to local streams of Masses around the country. I say all of this to avoid the arguments that come with religion on PSB/M.

The RTÉ News channel is pure muck, surely this money would be better spent improving the service rather than a daily mass, sure why not have a daily national anthem played live by the RTÉ CO?

It wouldn't take much to improve the RTÉ News channel. Remove the tickers and replace with one ticker along the bottom of the screen, by the RTÉ news logo. Add weather and currency info to top left of the screen, with the time to the top right and social media details in the right hand corner. Schedule repeats of sports highlight programmes after the news such as Against the Head and The Sunday Game, have live hourly updates. Bring back late night news to RTÉ2. etc etc.

______

Yesterday

One other massive problem with RTÉ is the lifers that don't move.

There are many in managerial positions who are in the same position as they were 20 to 25 years ago.

It is similar to their News Correspondents, only that Damien Teirnan, Ciarnan Mallooly and Ingrid Miley left their positions did RTÉ get different people to takeover those roles. As I said there are many correspondents reporting on the same issues as they did 10, 20 and even 30 years ago.

This seems to be the case for many more. The previous Head of Children's TV was their for nearly 20 years, one of the scheduling managers has had her position since 1999, another manager for imports and co-pros is there since at least 1998, the Executive Producer for Fair City is there since 2004 at least if not more. Surely with all of their experience they could move from one area to the next will little hinderance and provide a differing view when the do move.

And then there seems to be the cult of RTÉ, no one can do wrong, this is RTÉ. Seems to me that they are defensive on the slightest bit of criticism. For example when the BBC announce a logo change a UK Twitter user posted an image of the RTÉ logo, asking if any other broadcasters should change their logo as they haven't changed in the last 25 years, an RTÉ employee insisted that the logo has changed, but it clearly hasn't, and finished a reply to another twitter user with "I really don't care", which was then bizarrely liked by another RTÉ employee?

______

Yesterday

So just to mention, TLLS was not in great shape audience wise prior to the death of Gay Byrne, Marian Finnucane etc in 2019. Those shows pre-date the covid and caused TLLS to gain audiences, or to bring back audiences. Then Covid hit and again TLLS gain an audience and kept it pretty much through out.

In feb 2022 a massive decline in audiences for TLLS that not even a St. Val's special could rescue.

Then the sad news of the invasion of Ukraine by Russia hits and audiences return.

And the cynic in me thinks they couldn't possible run another show or guest about the Ukrainian war, but then the cynic thinks that the addition of the Mary Presidents might just be a ploy to raise TLLS audience.

Cynical?

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement

^^^^

No, just realistic and spot on.

Advertisement