Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Possibly.

It's a bit early to say though.

If you just wait a couple of hours you can decide but don't be too hard on yourself.

Interesting though that we have a chat show with two former Presidents, both of them women and hugely accomplished in their careers.

Not many countries would have that to look forward to on a Friday night.

I for one will be watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭RoTelly

It's unfortunate that they must suffer though an interview with Tubrity.

Of course turning ones cynicism against them by mention the accomplishments of the guests and not that of the problem of TLLS and its host.

Reminds me of a tweet last week that suggest the late late was so good tonight they were not going to hear a bad word against it!

Happy to not watch the show ever.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

You suggested you might be a cynic, not me.

I didn't say tonight's LLS will be good.

How could I before it even starts.

Little point in discussing it later with you if you don't watch it.

Yeah, but don't use it against me :)

I tend to stop watching shows/programmes when I stop liking them, if I ever liked TLLS.

______

Yesterday

Actually makes sense.

Me too.

There are programmes I wouldn't watch if you paid me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,811 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Most of RTE's output falls into that category

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭political analyst

Why was it thought necessary to apologise for the language the Ukrainian MP was using? In the Indo, Ian O'Doherty asked who gave that instruction - he believes that someone told Claire via her earpiece to, as I quote from Ian, "back it up"? If that's what happened, Claire could have disregarded the instruction, couldn't she?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

A tailor’s dummy would be an improvement on her interviewing skills!

At least extra.ie had a little shred of decency and put "apologising" in inverted commas.

There was no apology you are getting worked up over a non story from an unreliable source.

Quite unbelievable that Claire should apologise, with or without the quote marks. She simply isn't up to the task. Between her and Brendan O'Connor with his constant "apologies" for comments made by interviewees, RTE really needs to look at issuing an apology itself, for failing to employ people who are up to the job.

I'm not hankering for a Paxman-like approach to the job, but for pity's sake get Sarah McInerney back on running that 10 - 12 slot. Claire is suitable for a light magazine programme. She might do a better job between 3 and 4.30.

Hmm, I'm enjoying reorganising the RTE presenters.... Someone needs to do it and there's no sign that any of the current RTE exec team rolling their sleeves up and doing it. There are generations of group think in that particular team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

If Claire didn’t apologise the same people would be on social media crying about the language on the show.

Websites like “extra”? A plague on every country because all they make up is lies to get clicks. How many people actually complained? 1 or 2?

RTÉ executives don't actually know anything about RTÉ. They don't know what shows the produced, they don't know what cuts they have made, they don't understand the Broadcasting Act 2009. Claire Byrne would be a good Irish version of Victoria Derbiersher or Anne Robinson, suited to morning TV. But then RTÉ executives possibly beleive RTÉ has a morning TV show!

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Hi, I don't usually read tv guides so can someone who does please advise what day/time this week the movie 'Chasing Leprechauns' starring Amy Huberman will be shown?

I don't see it on the TV guide. Are you sure its on.

______

Yesterday

It’s Amy Huberman, and it’s RTÉ, and it’s a leprechaun movie…….

It simply must be on!!

Interestingly, ITN employed her as a newscaster on its short-lived news channel and on its bulletins on Channel 5 over 20 years ago.

Why would they complain about Russian invaders being compared to rodents?

And she's presented 2 daytime shows on both VMTV and RTÉ. Nothing of note.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 33,587 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Imagine getting a car or mileage allowance to go to work…… and your work has been in the same place your whole career.

I get it that some staff will have travel to do around the country, but managers getting a car allowance of up to €25k a year is beyond a piss take.

So in 4 years Dee would have got €100k in car allowance!! That would get her a top of the range Merc/BMW that she’d now own outright.

”oh but it’s only a tiny proportion our expenditure, a drop in the ocean”

ok then, cancel all car allowances, and there’s about 1m saved, only another €59m to go…..

• Advertisement

"It had aimed to achieve savings of €60m over three years up to 2023, but some of the proposals it tabled have not been implemented."

RTÉ actually only had to save €6m to €9m from costs, as the Minister Bruton gave them €10m in extra funding from 2020 to 2024 (€50m in total), while Minister Martin moved the NSO over to the NCH, a saving of at least €8m, the move made in 2021 (finalized in 2022, after 3 years of discussions!).

2020 - Saving €10m (from exchequer funding)

2021 - as above + Saving €8m (for the move of NSO to the NCH, no paid for via the ... exchequre) total €18m

2022 - as above total €18million

2023 - as above total €18million

Total saving over 4 years €54million

The Executive Board averages €50k in expenses each year, losset was in 2020 at €20,000, majority of which was for flights to NYC for Jon Williams, in 2020, in 2020 in 2020 FFS.

______

Yesterday

Andy, Andy, Andy you for got that She also got €50,000 in moving expenses when she took up the job, her 10% pay cut just about covers that €50k which RTÉ should never have offered her.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

They put killnascully on at 7pm on St.Patricks day, they should have been shut down at 7.05

It was either that or a repeat of Celebrity pullin with my parents which is on tonight on RTÉ, I suppose some manager in RTÉ has to get the vida tape from the cork office and bring it back to Dublin so they can claim their 11,000 in car allowances!

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Reeling in the Years raised its ugly head as well, 1979 for some obscure reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I MIGHT pay my licence fee if Tubridy, Duffy , Darcy and Dee Forbes were shown the door

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

RITY may be repeated ad nauseum but it is still light years ahead of the other guff RTE puts out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

After seeing that traveller special last night, I'm glad none of my money goes towards RTE

Was there a point to that last night.....like who's idea was it that primetime Monday evening viewing would be a one-sided homage to travellers???

Got to be honest...i switched to Netflix when senator ( NEVER ELECTED...just a " nod" from Leo varadkar) Eileen Flynn started educating me that the reason 25% of the prison population are travellers is all Society's fault

• Advertisement

Is everything else just a distraction?

We should only comment on the use of the Angelus, we should argue about Travellers, we should point out the high quality nature of RTÉ investigates, we should get up in arms about Airy-fairy things .... just as long as we don't look at RTÉ's as an organisation?

______

Yesterday

Advertisement