Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Still making stuff up.

Look, it's ok to not like GL but if you want to make it real stick to the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,503 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

You have to admit George Lee has become a doom merchant - throughout Covid he was always on about how we were all gonna die and the dire predictions of new strains and so on (not in his remit), now that's finished it's on to global warming and how we are gonna be all swimming with the fishes

RTE always seem to turn to him for the gloom and doom reporting and he seems to wallow in it, even when he speaks its in the most defeatest lack of oxygen way

He really is a ray of sunshine

As for the TD gig - wasn't it a case of he thought he would have a voice at the top table and when he realised he was but bird feed he ran away back to RTE (which IIRC he was literally on a hiatus from the job meaning he could go back any time he wanted as if he never left), maybe the Green Party would have been more suitable for him

Like I said before it's hard to find the upside of those two stories.

I lost people (friends and extended family) to Covid and didn't even get to bury them.

Easy to make little of it now but it was no fun at the time.

Even now it's still a threat.

I know a woman in her sixties badly knocked out with it at the moment previously very healthy not sure about the outcome.

As for Climate Change, it's not so immediate but the news from the IPCC is very bad.

An existential threat to your grandchildren and their children isn't a great prospect.

Easy to scapegoat GL but a pretty hollow victory.

On the politics you are about right. He got a bit carried away expecting to progress quicker than was realistic.

However I don't believe it was about money as claimed here earlier.

He's an economist and knew the figures before he started and he could have stayed where he was (in RTE) with no risk.

I don't know about the Green Party, I reckon FG could have been a good fit for him but for circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Not sure how suited he would be to the green party but maybe the greed party.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I know this is not a covid thread and I do believe that you did have losses (honestly I don't mean to intrude) and perhaps I am lucky over the last 2 years not to know anyone who died of, from, with or because of COVID. Or anyone to have had a major case of COVID for that matter. My Uncle had a bad case at the early part of the pandemic, but he's a fit healthy 80-something farmer. (this was before vaccine role out), he did not attend hospital.

The area that I grew up in would now be an area with high risk people, as the population is now older (many OAPs). The church and the funeral parlour seems as busy with funerals as any other year. I have not heard of any deaths in my local area due to COVID. And funerals are noticeable, because the Church and Funeral Palour are both in the centre of the village. It is now a relatively busy village, but I saw nothing out of the ordinary in terms of death.

I know of one person (relatively close in terms of "in-laws") that died with "covid" and TBH I had many many questions on that death, I think the person died from loneliness and got COVID in the hospital (but such questions can't be asked of, nor should they be put to, the family). Outside of that I know of no-one directly or indirectly to me that as die due to COVID.

The problem you have with George Lee is that he clearly has a political slant and he clearly shows that slant, he did that during his time as Economics Editor and went further by then joining and winning a seat for the main opposition party. RTÉ must be above party politics and must insure that their reports and correspondents know how to put their own views to one side when interviewing their opposite or those that they agree with, if they should monitor this on a weekly basis.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭ATR72

Celebrities and former politicians do it all the time. Obama bought a house in Nantucket which you would think is an area impacted by rising sea levels.

There once was a man from Nantucket

Who died with a bucket.

But his wife, named Michele,

Ran away with a man

And as for the bucket, rising waters of Nantucket.

______

Yesterday

Point taken we probably should not go into too much detail about Covid.

In fairness I didn't raise the topic and just gave some context to what was being reported at the time (2 years ago) and now.

I think in the first sentence of your final paragraph you meant to say that it's you that has the problem with GL.

I don't recall him being overly partisan before joining FG and he left RTE before running for office.

He also had to undergo a "cleansing period" on his return.

I agree that RTE should be above party politics etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭landofthetree

The lick arsing from RTE when it comes to English teams in the CL is embarrassing.

Sorry Im not paying for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭political analyst

Why is it that RTÉ's live coverage of Gaelic games during this part of the year is referred to in the listings as Saturday GAA Live/Sunday GAA Live and not, as is the case in the summer, The Saturday Game/The Sunday Game? After all, GAA games are GAA games, aren't they?!

• Advertisement

I may be a little tipsy but what is your point???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Traditionally the Sunday Game covered championship and was marketed as such.

My point?! I asked a question! Anyway, it has been answered.

I think it might be to promote that it is live as a sort of USP.

A bit like the tag Sky are using in their advertising ie. "It's Only Live Once" .

But I could be wrong, I'm no GAA fan.

I'm no fan either! You've made an interesting point. It's just that I find the difference between references to the Gaelic national league (Allianz) games and to the Gaelic championship games slightly annoying, that's all.

No that is a general way of stating when someone has a problem with their argument, I have no problem with any RTÉ personalities really, I have issue with the management of RTÉ and the content that RTÉ provide.

______

Yesterday

Sorry if I took you up wrong when you said -

The problem you have with George Lee is that he clearly has a political slant and he clearly shows that slant, he did that during his time as Economics Editor and went further by then joining and winning a seat for the main opposition party. RTÉ must be above party politics and must insure that their reports and correspondents know how to put their own views to one side when interviewing their opposite or those that they agree with, if they should monitor this on a weekly basis.

You didn't mean I personally have a problem with GL which of course I don't.

Glad we cleared that up.

Just so I am clear.

My problem is that we see to forget about the bad management of RTÉ and its lack of content and how you (as in the general you as in anybody) can divert the discussion away from how absolutely badly run it is as a company.

I mean have they in any way achieved Strategy 2024?

Happy to be proven wrong. :)

______

Yesterday

This thread attracts a lot of different subjects and opinions about many aspects of RTE.

I only engage in a fraction of them.

The discussion was about GL and mostly focused on his presenting style and career trajectory.

I didn't mean any of my posts to be a diversion.

not just you but all posters and it very easy to get bogged down in the content and the presenters at RTÉ.

RTÉ's "star" wages IMO are not the fault of the 10 people that command those wages but the fault of Management at RTÉ who believe that they deserve them.

They way in which George Lee exited RTÉ for politics and re-entered RTÉ was badly managed by RTÉ, I don't see fault with GL.

They way in which RTÉ choose to cut funding to RTÉjr and LyricFM while pretending that the cared about these services was a mockery of how bad run the service is, all the while funding 2FM and increasing funds to 2FM.

The whole raison d'etre of RTÉ strategy is to play it poor while spending '000 on unnecessary expenses.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement

I don't consider myself "bogged down" at all but if it's your opinion that I am you are entitled to it.

You seem to think every message that I write is aimed directly at you, even said "not just you".

But I am happy to debate RTÉ financial situation and how they are funded and how they are managed. (with you .... or with anyone else).

______

Yesterday

OK let's put the last few exchanges between us down to misunderstanding and leave it at that.

No problem

So to avoid getting "bogged down" but just to point out the bad management of RTÉ one of their presenters had a telling interview on an off the cuff remark and TBH I agree with the presenter that you should take a nap at some point during the day. But...

The presenter lives in Galway and works in Cork. They have a family and even if they didn't they would have a life, but unless they spend Monday to Thursday in Cork (which gives them little time with their family) and unless they leave Galway at 7:30 to get to Cork by 9 and then leave Cork at 5:30 to get home by 8pm they still have little time with their family, meaning that they really only start to leave Galway for Cork after 9am, giving them some time with family on school run etc.

This just runs into the idea that Presenters just appear for their shows and go home. IMO why have a show from cork with presenters from Galway and Dublin?

______

Yesterday

______

Yesterday

In fairness to Dee her predecessors also didn't know about the fact that their sports departments bought the rights to the WC, Euros, RWC and the Olympic games, and in fairness to them who knows, who (I want a reference), that these events happen every 4 years or so?

As for General elections, we've generally had stable governments, even when they are not that stable, since 1992

1992, 1997, 2002, 2007, 2011, 2016, 2020, in 30 years of elections only twice did a government leave office early, and with that they only left office 1 year ahead of schedule.

I am sure the news department aren't aware that the Euro and local elections will take place in 2024, may Dee might forewarn her successor! And lets hope nothing happens in August.

Also anyone else notice that the Six One News now returns 3 days after a BH.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Nothjng can be done with 2Fm, it should have been closed 10 years ago if not longer

Here's some more about RTÉ and but now from their head of sport. Mods I know I shouldn't give them so much say but they are asking for it

https://www.rte.ie/eile/2022/0404/1290243-declan-mcbennett-on-why-public-media-matters/

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement

And that’s why self justification is the same as fiddling whist Rome burnt

Advertisement