Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭golondrinas

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭political analyst

• Registered Users Posts: 17,503 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

They are all carefully crafted puff pieces directed at the government to get more money/raise the licence fee/charge non consumers

10 years ago they were cutting the sports budget

Coverage of major sports events now in jeopardy - Independent.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭RoTelly

IMO RTÉ should not use their news site as a PR service for RTÉ, they have an about section.

I am surprised that the McBennett piece didn't suggest that these sporting events were in some way special events that managers in RTÉ don't know about 4 years in advance.

He doesn't once mention the move of main sporting events to RTÉ ONE, as planned in Strategy 2024.

RTÉ pay lip service to most women sports only coming to it late in the day (They had the rights to Women's WC in 2015 but failed to air it), RTÉ2 is nothing without sport but in their announcement of the games they only once mention RTÉ2, and I ask you to find where they mentioned it, https://about.rte.ie/2022/04/13/nothing-sounds-quite-like-the-gaa-championships-on-rte/

They never mention the problems that exist with RTÉ2, RTÉ2fm or their treatment of Lyric FM or that of Children's content.

It is always look at the good things we do... we aren't above criticism but lets not mention the real criticism that is there either for Sport or for other content.

Here's Jon Williams Head of News

https://www.rte.ie/eile/2022/0404/1290241-jon-williams-on-why-public-media-matters/

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Thank as cost of living increases get more pronounced the licence fee will have to be on the table

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,503 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Think there is very few, if any, in RTE that worry about the cost of living increases

Actually, his article is not on the RTÉ News site but in a section of RTÉ's general site called 'RTÉ Eile' - and it's the same with Williams's article. Regarding the 2015 Women's WC (I assume you're referring to rugby), RTÉ Sport may have thought (and I'm not saying that it's McBennett's view), "most Irish women who have any interest in rugby are probably more interested in the men's game anyway - and not just because of the sport itself. 😉 So why spend any of the licence fee on it?! Irishwomen in general might be less interested in women's rugby than Englishwomen are". It's a point-of-view that Kissinger would regard as 'realpolitik'. As for Strategy 2024, there are still 2 years to go!

Do you not think they have the right to defend themselves against criticism?

Eile is a suggestion of a different point of view. No RTÉ exe as a different point of view on RTÉ.

They had the rights through the EBU as they did in 2019, no referring to Soccer. Don't think EBU takes on the rights for Rugby.

1 year 7months and 2 weeks, tell me other than the move of the NSO to the NCH* what other aspects of the Strategy have been in acted?

*which was only down to the minster/government, and which took place this year even though it was given funding in the 2021 budget and they been given the go ahead in principle in 2018

______

Yesterday

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement

They do but they are not actually defending themselves against criticism, and how could they as they are not listening.

It is very difficult for RTÉ to admit for example that they begged for funding by suggesting publicly that they would close Lyric FM*, then in the Oireachtas they pretended to back pedal and say that the only decision made was to move Lyric FM to Dublin and Cork from Limerick. The Government and the Oireachtas then agreed to increase funding to RTÉ by €10million for 2021 only for RTÉ to cut funding to Lyric FM and increase funding to 2FM.

*RTÉ cannot unilaterally close services, they must seek permission from the Department, which must carry out a review from which the minister can make a decision.

______

Yesterday

It's as if they forgot that it would not be possible for them to close Lyric FM or any other of its services without ministerial permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

The only way RTe will change is if politicians change it, none of the politicians in government or in opposition have ever mentioned about changing it

Come next election we will have TD walking around promising to fix the road etc and not a single person will mention RTE, if every TD went to a majority of houses and people said they wanted RTE changed you will get a reaction then, till then this thread can go to6 million pages and nothing will change

So when a TD arrives

1. Housing
    2. health
    3. public transport
    4. RTE reform

You can of course have differents but just giving an idea of list

If a TD mentions fix or build a road I would tell them to get away from my door

There strategy 2024 wanted to drop all Digital Stations, until they realized that they'd have to get ministerial permission as the services were now live across multiple broadcast platforms such as Virgin Media and Saorview. But it's still part of that strategy!

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

They initially jumped on the digital as a way of creating more digital specific channels but the money rug was pulled out from under. Then it was handy for broadening the 'need' for a licence, from TV to broadcast licence covering every format.

Getting chiseled for the same sub par muck.

Terri Prone on the today show now,attacking turf cutters, paid shill pedalling a false agenda?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭ATR72

Couldn't care less about what a Dub thinks of rural Ireland. RTÉ only seem to care about the views of D4 residents.

With all the stuff she's been involved do you think she should be allowed an unhindered platform,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,120 ✭✭✭bigroad

She is just another government and Rte Livvie paid the spout rubbish usually on subjects she knows nothing about.

With the Tuam babies and the unpleasantness with the workplace bullying she should be akin to Gemma O'Doherty or that racist dwarf, wouldn't give it the credit of a name

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Anyone else think the RTE news has lost the plot, Last night it was like a bad episode of Drop the dead donkey.

In Britain last week, the culture secretary announced that the licence fee will cease when the current guarantee under the BBC's royal charter runs out at the end of 2027.

If that happens, it will make the Republic's licence fee much less viable because our government wouldn't be able to defend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

FG/FF are so highly reliant on RTE for getting out news that they want, and shaping things how they like, that it will never happen under their watch. It's possible it could happen under SF though I suppose. If they ran on it I'd say it would help them get some votes too, but all the same, having SF in power just to get rid of paying for RTE probably isn't the wisest.

I've came across my first positive about RTE in years when watching their horse racing coverage, as whatever about the quality of commentary, the camera work and what not in top class, saying that though I'm not sure if that's actually the work of RTE or if it's the work of the race course itself. I'd assume that RTE are likely just paying for the work of others, but you can't really hold that against them.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 18,095 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Let people vote with their pockets on RTE. Kill the licence fee, let people subscribe to RTE if they want for €10 a month. Keep RTE News on a dedicated news channel that's FREE.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Leaving aside the clear Tory agenda here the real problem for Irish viewers is that we might lose the free access we have to the BBC at the moment.

I wouldn't be worried whether our Government here defend the licence or not as long as they defend public broadcasting.

My personal preference would be to replace the licence with direct funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,426 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Which political party do you think is likely to adopt this policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,586 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

How much does licence bring in annually?

If that €10 per month model was introduced, I'd say rte would be lucky to get 500k homes subscribing. Out of a tot of 1.7mill I think in the country.

So it would bring in maybe 60mill annually.

• Advertisement

You'd be lucky to get 50k to sign up, it's as stale as week old bread.

Advertisement