Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

And that's from two years ago-bloody hell, you know they've gone up again.

(Did Claire Byrne get a decrease after the sh** show she made of the abortion referendum)

:pac: Lol, it's RTE - she probably got a raise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

And that's from two years ago-bloody hell, you know they've gone up again.

(Did Claire Byrne get a decrease after the sh** show she made of the abortion referendum)

She got a voucher for 2 free abortions. They will be handing them out all over the country in January to women who didn't even know they wanted an abortion.

^^^^^sarcasm, I feel the need to point that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,313 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

She got a voucher for 2 free abortions. They will be handing them out all over the country in January to women who didn't even know they wanted an abortion.

^^^^^sarcasm, I feel the need to point that out.

Considering her history, I imagine she might have needed those in the past...

(Going to hell in a hand basket, I know I am.).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭daheff

Just in relation to the original point made by Dee- surely the uncollected fee is an issue she should be raising with their collection agent (An Post)?

They contract them to collect the tax.

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭bruce wayne

the number that really get to me is this one.

In the ten years since he has taken over the Late Late RTE have paid Tubridy a total of 5.6 Million in salary!!! Have we gotten 5.6 million worth of entertainment out of him?

year salary
    2009 519,667.00
    2010 643,333.00
    2011 723,000.00
    2012 752,950.00
    2013 495,000.00
    2014 495,000.00
    2015 495,000.00
    2016 495,000.00
    2017 495,000.00
    2018 495,000.00

total 5,608,950.00

sourced from various newspaper articles on rte salaries over the years - his salary seems to have stabilised over the past 5 years or so, but I'm open to correction.

daheff wrote: »
    Just in relation to the original point made by Dee- surely the uncollected fee is an issue she should be raising with their collection agent (An Post)?

They contract them to collect the tax.

An Post, and Post Offices are closing down across the country-so there'd be no point. In fact they could very well be challenging the government over the closures, but instead, nope.

So there'd be no point going after An Post.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,411 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

kneemos wrote: »
    Finucane does two mornings a week and doesn't show up most of the time.

How in the name of God?

What a stult like myself would like to know is what do the ‘lesser orders’ get

Lads and lasses like

Gavin Jennings

Tony O’Dononue

Ronan Collins

John Creedon

Colm O As he says himself O’ Muungain

Paddy O Gorman

John Murray, Des Cahill, Jaqui Hurley

Is that would be interesting.

Verrrrrry interesting.

Ill be honest, I didn't get your post and I'm too afraid to Google for answers :o

Ill be honest, I didn't get your post and I'm too afraid to Google for answers :o

:D:D:D:D

Tee hee hee

Okay, bullet points.

1) Her first professional job, she had an affair with her married boss. He left his wife for her. (I think she was in her early 20s or so).

2. She marries him (And didn't know she couldn't have a church wedding because he went and had a divorce). And they are together for a number of years.

3) She gets sent out to do a report on GOAL in Nigeria, I believe (This was for TV3). She meets a married GOAL worker-and has an affair with him. He leaves his wife, she leaves her husband.

4) She leaves TV3 (and gets involved in a court case relating to her contract) and also leaves the GOAL guy.

5) Meets new guy. Gets pregnant, they get engaged. I believe they married after she had their second kid. (And recently had a third, I believe).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

I am not an expert on graphs, but this graph of Operating Costs in the 2017 RTE Annual Report looks like it was prepared by the creative department.

Operating Costs in 2012 was 335 million
    Operating Costs in 2016 was 343 million
    Operating Costs in 2017 was 335 million

On the graph to my eyes they have visually reduced costs from the 2012 figure, but the actual figures for 2016 and 2017 are the same or higher than 2012.

:D:D:D:D

Tee hee hee

Okay, bullet points.

Aha! Very informative. I was expecting waaaaay worse to come out of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I am not an expert on graphs, but this graph of Operating Costs in the 2017 RTE Annual Report looks like it was prepared by the creative department.

On the graph to my eyes they have visually reduced costs from the 2012 figure, but the actual figures for 2016 and 2017 are the same or higher than 2012.

Is that actual official material they published??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I always think that being the 11th highest earner in RTE must be a great job.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,337 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is there a set date each year where they must publish the figures or is it a case of around year end and they wait for a big news event (Theresa May today) to release it on de quiet an dat so to speak?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Is there a set date each year where they must publish the figures or is it a case of around year end and they wait for a big news event (Theresa May today) to release it on de quiet an dat so to speak?

Hmmmmmm.. No wonder Joe was so passionate about TM and Brexit today.

Bob24 wrote: »
    Is that actual official material they published??
    https://www.rte.ie/annualreport/
    Yes. It is from The RTE Annual Report 2017, page 15, Financial Review

The auditors say

Other information
    The directors are responsible for the other information presented in the Annual Report together with the financial statements.
    The other information comprises the information included in the Board Members’ Report, the statement of Board Members’ Responsibilities, Chair’s Statement, Director-General’s Review, Financial Review, Operational Review, Corporate Governance and Other Reporting Requirements, other than the financial statements and our auditor’s report thereon.
    Our opinion on the financial statements does not cover the other information and, accordingly, we do not express an audit opinion or, except as explicitly stated below, any form of assurance conclusion thereon.

The highlighting above is mine.
    As an ex-Chartered Accountant I always read the Auditors Report first. :)
    New Year's Resolution for RTE "check the Annual Report before publication" ... or if that is too much work ask someone to read it once.

Browsing through the report I see the annual cost of TV
    Indigenous ...............110 million (RTE1); 45 million (RTE2)
    Acquired - Ireland ........ 2 million (RTE1); 0.3 million (RTE2)
    Acquired - Overseas .... 12 million (RTE1); 11.6 million (RTE2)

I have put up rough average figures for the last two years.

Conveniently (for them) they give the total TV hours of RTE1 8,760, RTE2 8,760 but inconveniently (for us) they do not give the number of TV hours the above costs produce.
    Could we save 110 million a year by bringing back importing cartoons, cowboy series, imported game shows, detective series (Kojak, Colombo, Murder She Wrote)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Browsing through the report I see the annual cost of TV
    Indigenous ...............110 million (RTE1); 45 million (RTE2)
    Acquired - Ireland ........ 2 million (RTE1); 0.3 million (RTE2)
    Acquired - Overseas .... 12 million (RTE1); 11.6 million (RTE2)

I have put up rough average figures for the last two years.

Conveniently (for them) they give the total TV hours of RTE1 8,760, RTE2 8,760 but inconveniently (for us) they do not give the number of TV hours the above costs produce.
    Could we save 110 million a year by bringing back importing cartoons, cowboy series, imported game shows, detective series (Kojak, Colombo, Murder She Wrote)?

There should be zero spent on imports.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I wonder how much they pay for Eastenders... which is shown at exactly the same time on the BBC

• Advertisement

I always think that being the 11th highest earner in RTE must be a great job.

I suspect there likely 50-100+ tied for that 11th spot, maybe even more.

M

I wonder how much they pay for Eastenders... which is shown at exactly the same time on the BBC

Yes and I've noticed other BBC shows too. They still at weekends Top Gear episodes...from when Clarkson was still presenting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

grahambo wrote: »
    Top 10 earners in RTE for 2016, Figures just released I think

1: Ryan Tubridy : €495,000
    2: Ray Darcy : €450,000 (up from €400,00 in 2015)
    3: Joe Duffy : €389,988
    4: Sean O'Rourke : €308,964 (up from €290,113 in 2015)
    5: Marian Finucane : €300,617 (up from €295,000 in 2015)
    6: Miriam O'Callaghan : €299,000
    7: Claire Byrne : €216,000 (up from €201,500 in 2015)
    8: Bryan Dobson : €198,146 <= Surprising, he'd been there a long time but I suppose he's not really a contractor
    9: George Hamilton : €186,195
    10: Mary Wilson : €185,679

https://www.breakingnews.ie/showbiz/here-are-the-latest-earnings-for-rtes-top-10-presenters-891635.html

I don't get it?? Why they releasing 2016 figures. We are a few weeks off 2019 ffs!!

Would like to see current figures.

M

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    I don't get it?? Why they releasing 2016 figures. We are a few weeks off 2019 ffs!!

Would like to see current figures.

They class it as commercially sensitive, they couldn't have Ray D'Arcy getting poached by the BBC to replace Graham Norton, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

That is absolutely woeful analysis coming from a national broadcaster. The trend line is linear yet the data is not.

That is how you organise an economic collapse. No imports, no exports.

As an extreme example, imagine we had an Irish car manufacturer who made poor quality ordinary cars selling at 300k, and you could import high quality cars at 30k, it would not make sense to divert Irish resources to the Irish manufacturer, and ban imports.

I want to know how much does it cost for an hour of Irish TV program, and how much does it cost for an hour of imported TV program.
    If that information is kept from the public (who fund the station) then the people who do not release that information must have a reason.

That is how you organise an economic collapse. No imports, no exports.

As an extreme example, imagine we had an Irish car manufacturer who made poor quality ordinary cars selling at 300k, and you could import high quality cars at 30k, it would not make sense to divert Irish resources to the Irish manufacturer, and ban imports.

I want to know how much does it cost for an hour of Irish TV program, and how much does it cost for an hour of imported TV program.
    If that information is kept from the public (who fund the station) then the people who do not release that information must have a reason.

Your economic/industrial analogy doesn’t work with RTÉ. I assume the OP’s point is that RTÉ’s sole added value is to produce local content subsidided by the licence fee, as such local content is considered desirable but wouldn’t otherwise be produced privately in Ireland or anywhere else (which is the key difference with your analogy: you are assuming an exact replacement exists and is viable elsewhere as with your car exemple, but here it is not the case as the very reason for the subsidy is that without it a lot of that local content is not viable).

With that in mind, using some of that Tv licence money to purchase foreign content which already exists and could well be licensed by a private TV network broadcasting in Ireland is in effect diverting public money from its intended use (subsidies for local content) and instead using it to do what a private TV channel could also do without subsidies.

I wouldn’t be as extreme as saying there should be zero imports as realistically it makes sense to have some content diversity on RTÉ, but I do see the point in saying every Euro spent by RTÉ on licensing foreign content is one less Euro spent to fulfill its main mission statement so they should be very careful with how they spend that money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

I've said it before: Lots of the RTE presenters take long breaks during the year. Drivetime (which I like) is a good example of this imo-it's main presenter is Mary Wilson but Philip B Hayes, Sarah McInerney and John Murray have filled in for her significantly this year. Sean O' Rourke took a significant Summer break (without pay, I think) but he also has had plenty of other time off.

Bob24 wrote: »
    I wouldn’t be as extreme as saying there should be zero imports as realistically it makes sense to have some content diversity on RTÉ, but I do see the point in saying every Euro spent by RTÉ on licensing foreign content is one less Euro spent to fulfill its main mission statement so they should be very careful with how they spend that money.
    From the RTE website
    RTÉ's Mission
    "To enrich Irish life with content that challenges, educates and entertains."

What is the source of this mission statement?

Do you notice there is no mention of value for money.
    And it does not say anything about where the content should be sourced.
    You would think from comments on this thread that a TV company based outside Ireland could not produce a quality programme about Ireland.

The content is challenging. :)

Another state funded organisation I believe is not functioning as it should has a mission statement that is at variance with their function as defined in the Act that set up the organisation.

• Advertisement

From the RTE website
    RTÉ's Mission
    "To enrich Irish life with content that challenges, educates and entertains."

What is the source of this mission statement?

Do you notice there is no mention of value for money.
    And it does not say anything about where the content should be sourced.
    You would think from comments on this thread that a TV company based outside Ireland could not produce a quality programme about Ireland.

The content is challenging. :)

Another state funded organisation I believe is not functioning as it should has a mission statement that is at variance with their function as defined in the Act that set up the organisation.

Also states:

“RTÉs Vision Mission and Values

RTÉ's Vision

To champion Irish culture by captivating audiences with trusted, engaging and challenging content; celebrating our country’s rich diversity; and cultivating Ireland’s talent.”

Clearly a vision better served by producing or purchasing content related to Ireland.

In any case it is not clear if this is a self-assigned mission at actual wording of an official mission statement they might have (I’d say the former), but nonetheless to many people it is clear that if they are subsiding a TV network with public money it should be to deliver something different from what a private broadcaster would.

Advertisement