Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,824 ✭✭✭✭elperello

That's my opinion for good or bad.

Why don't you give your opinion on the matter under discussion rather than reach for the ad hominem button?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

You've a neck like a jockey's bollocks to come into this thread and accuse people of not giving an opinion matters. You don't have an opinion on anything. You simply post to say RTE are correct in everything they do. You have a position on RTE - for reasons unknown, which you are unwilling to be transparent about - and your default position is to praise everything RTE do no matter how wrong/poor RTE have been on that particular matter/show/presenter.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,601 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Is SOLAS the new FAS? We know how that worked out.

One thing for sure about the recent 'event', it won't be 70 years until the next one!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

That's two posts attacking me personally and you still haven't offered any counter point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Come on now elperello I always give an opinion and counterpoint, you have always hide behind we must wait for some kind of decision on "what Public Service Broadcasting is" and now that the report from the Media commission has been published your still saying the same thing.

RTÉ according to them have little funding and yet they seem to be able to find that money for extra circular activities when they could utilize what they have. It makes no sense IMO to have presenters broadcasting from Scotland and England for the same programme.

And we've consistently pointed out that their foreign corresponds are AWOL when something does happen in either the USA or the UK or the EU. IMO only Fiona Mitchell and Brian O'Connell have served RTÉ well in London and were their top foreign correspondents, Mark Little might get second place but he's very far behind either. IMO.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Advertisement

I am sure they would give out but I wouldn't if they piggy back on either SKY NEWS, BBC or ITN for coverage. Along with their normal correspondents. and how they editorialize.

There be another one in 10 to 20 years.

I am not a fan of Hollywood stars on TLLS but it does bring something in, but they have to be live, and Tubs got a holiday out of it.

RTÉ have to strike they right balance, if hollywood stars are unavailable on a Friday night then that is it, pre-recorded interviews invariably don't working on TLLS but then TLLS is just plain boring IMO.

______

Yesterday

I hadn't posted on this thread for over two months until yesterday when I ventured an opinion on the coverage of the royal death and associated ceremonies.

You seem to have been doing fine without me.

I am? but you failed to give an opinion on my post 2 months. Yourself and myself have both been regular posters to this thread. I try to give an opinion on RTÉ and I try to see the other side of those opinions. I think that public service broadcasting should be funded, and I believe that we should have a national broadcaster. But the management of RTÉ has a lot to be desired, I believe almost nothing they say when it comes to being underfunded.

I have no problem with RTÉ's coverage of The Death Of British Monarch but I have issue with how they have shipped their staff across the country. I don't really understand how having presenters in Edinburgh or London gives anything extra to this Death. Here is a broadcaster who takes long summer breaks and because of this is unable to fully schedule a proper news channel.

______

Yesterday

I believe I did and I have never intentionally ignored any post which was part of a discussion between us.

I understand your point of view and indeed you are a long standing critic of RTE.

You have a lot of other critics on this thread to agree with.

I will continue to post my take on different topics in my own way.

That's fine but elperello, you tend not to give an alternative view point. So I still don't know where you coming from, I get what your saying about the Death of the British Queen and I have to disagree with you on that. I mean how would RTÉ have covered this death had it happened in August? That's an honest legitimate question for you.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement

I have in the past, mostly on the issue of PSB.

To be frank I haven't the time or interest to be getting involved in discussions with everyone who comes on here outraged about something or other that RTE has or has not done.

As for the royal death etc., maybe we can agree to disagree.

Your question about August is interesting and I can only hazard a guess it would be a case "all hands on deck, all leave cancelled".

It's a pity the British Royal death didn't happen in August so, just to show us the upheaval of such a death on RTÉ.

But hey, I wait for the return of the Today show on TV, at least 4 months holiday there, imagine the amount of talk they get out of the British Royal Death.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I see RTE are telling folks Dancing with the Staff next season will be it's last.

It was on the front cover of the Sun. Possible saving to RTE of 5 million. So what's the problem?

https://www.fm104.ie/news/buzz/uncertainty-surrounding-future-of-rtes-dancing-with-the-stars-amid-cancellation-rumours/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,433 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

One should be asking how dafuq does it cost 5 million???

Probably costs far more, but with sponsorship and other things, some of the costs are covered. So when all is said and done, RTE then put 5 million into it.

That said, doesn't stop it being naff.

Why are they making worthless dross like that if it's not even profitable?!?!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Ego. Stupidity... trying to be faux-British.

Your guess is as good as mine.

DWTS possibly does 2 things

1. It breaks even (if its up for the axe it is possibly no long doing this)
    2. It brings in an audience to RTÉ for other shows and is good promotion for RTÉ

In terms of the €5m, that's around €500,000 or less per episode, €250,000 per hour, they have to bring in professional dancers, flights and hotels, they have to pay the "stars" for their time, they have 3 judges, 2 presenters (though at least one is RTÉ Staff), and then the crew, lighting etc etc.

This will be the first time I will side with RTÉ, they do need big entertainment shows, even if I am not watching, though I would argue that the do not do enough of the smaller entertainment shows.

______

Yesterday

is good promotion for RTÉ

The exact opposite in my case and I can't be alone.

To me it says they have zero creativity and zero originality.

RTE need to stop wasting their time and resources on VMTV-style tripe.

• Advertisement

Yeah you can look at it like that but many viewers lap it up, though I think it is slowly coming to its natural end. VMTV would be able to afford such a show. They are a law on to their own, they have 5 channels repeating the same crap.

______

Yesterday

Well if that many were lapping it up would it not be profitable?

Or are RTE's cost structures just out of control?

VM could probably make a profit on it. Leave that sort of dreck to them, at least I'm not subsidising them to the tune of €160 a year so it's no skin off my nose however crap their output may be.

a good proportion of VMTV's programming outside of News and Sport is part funded by the License fee and/or the Irish Film Board.

______

Yesterday

Plus it might be worth noting that you can't watch any of their output on a TV without a licence.

And even when you won't be paying a licence fee funding will go to the Sound and Vision fund from some source.

Just look at how many funding agencies their are for an NZ IRL co-pro

RTÉ and TVNZ's crime drama The Gone

Te Puna Kairangi, the New Zealand Government’s Premium Productions for International Audiences Fund and New Zealand’s Screen Production Grant; Screen Ireland/Fís Éireann; NZ On Air; and the BAI Sound & Vision Fund

Along with what ever funding the 2 public service broadcasters provide.

For a total population of 10m with the hope that it will be a "Premium Productions for International Audiences" at least Te Puna Kairangi are honest in the type of shows it is developing. Can't do them with out the Stars...

Richard Flood, who recently starred in hit US show Grey's Anatomy, Diana Huia (Kupe), Michelle Fairley (Game of Thrones), Carolyn Bracken (The Dublin Murders) , Liam Carney (Gangs of New York) and Aaron Monaghan (Assassin's Creed).

I am sure it will be a success for all involved.

______

Yesterday

There you have it... I guess.

Just to correct a few things. Posted here about FÁS.

FÁS was at least split into 3 AFAIK.

Job Search/Career part of FÁS was move into the Dept of Social Welfare offices now branded as Intreo.

The training part was made into a new state body SOLAS.

And the 3rd I am not sure if it actually a split, basically some staff moved to local HSE offices at the time.

and with that reformation of FÁS everything is hunky-dory... !

As for this sponsorship, I don't really get it, its not like 18 - 22 yo are listening to Today with CB. I'd even think that for parents of 18 - 22 yo you might be better to sponsor Today FM. .... okay I will throw 2FM a bone.. you might consider sponsoring The Jenny Z Show. Oh and I don't think any of these things would be a good idea.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

You dont have to worry about trivial things like profit when your funded in multiple ways by the people through no choice of their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,433 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

A Government source said that the deal was "surprising" given that Solas is a state agency and questioned why a number of advertising spots were not instead purchased.

Have to agree with this - RTE is funded by the licence fee, they also get additional funding off the government and then the government fund sponsorship/advertising on the channels

You would really have to question the sustainability of a company that basically has money lavished on them left right and center by the tax payer

• Advertisement

I'd say that it's no longer breaking even. A lot of shows that returned after the pandemic came back to larger or basically the same viewership. DWTS returned to 200, 000 less viewers. Prior to the pandemic, it garnered about 600, 000 viewers (Did better than the Late Late Show). Post pandemic, I think the finale was seen by 400, 000. That's a good third of the audience gone.

And why wouldn't they? It's same old, same old.

Advertisement