Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭RoTelly

And a number of other, I think last Halloween and Easter Monday and I think May Day or one of the others. I exclude patrick's day as it was a double BH.

But the days following? No problem with BH or Chirstmas/NYE hours TBH but their extensions.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 8,309 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Four presenters to replace Claire Byrne live... FOUR.

Was wondering when they'd force Louise Byrne on TV again. And Sharon Tobin's gonna be there, so no doubt she'll be bashing the agricultural division, whilst turning a blind eye to the energy consumption of our Data Centres. Cos Climate change... she's turning into the new George Lee in terms of misery.

How much are all these folks gonna get in overtime pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,236 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

No Eastern Europeans or people of colour presenting, I'm shocked.

Monday Night Live might just show how unorganized RTÉ actually is.

It seems to me the usual 35 week run of CBLIVE/FRONTLINE/QandA has been reduced.

It seems that someone in RTÉ wants this to fail to show how important CB is to RTÉ.

It seems that RTÉ could get one host with out re-contracting them for a full series! Obviously RTÉ contracts don't have that clause about work as required from time to time.

And I could be wrong but I am guessing McCoulagh won't be on Six One over those 2 weeks.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,530 ✭✭✭political analyst

That might be to allow staff to spend more time with their children during the school holidays and also because of the Dáil being in recess at Easter and Hallowe'en.

Those ethnic-minority journalists who are at RTÉ haven't been there long enough to qualify for promotion to positions as presenters of high-profile current-affairs programmes.

I must let my employer know.

Strange thing is there are actually things happening when the Dáil and Courts are not in session.

You'd wonder what RTÉ 1,700 staff are doing TBH.

______

Yesterday

Just a hop skip and a jump.

Let examine shall we: -

RTÉ's NEWS2Day is a show that can help develop journalists. You'd image that a programme like NEWS2/RTÉ NEWS ON 2 would be then available for those young staff members to gain more experience, along with initial stints on evening news on RTÉ2FM, followed by standing in for other presenters on 1pm news, indeed you could even have them present morning news or late bulletins on RTÉ ONE.

OR

Cut all of that training ground, skip six one, nine news, daytime tv, perhaps a current affairs show and put them out for early retirement on NATIONWIDE.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 17,444 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Post edited by fritzelly on

• Advertisement

But there are not as many things happening on this island when the Dáil and the courts are in recess. As I've stated, RTÉ will have a special hour-long Six-One when there is news of exceptional importance.

From a political point of view (regardless of your own point of view) in August a Minister of State had to resign due to how he reported his property, there was 3 weeks of coverage, very little of that came from RTÉ due to this idea that "not as many things happening on this island when the Dáil and the Courts are in recess", for the month of August the housing crisis is solved, the Russian invasion of the Ukraine was put on hold, hospital waiting lists were cleared, drug addiction stopped, criminals didn't do what criminals do, local issues didn't persist all of this was just rectified because well everyone takes a holiday in August on this small island were nothing really happens, you'd think that both the Courts and Dáil might consider themselves the problem and consider longer holidays but then as all of the bad things stop happening all of the good thing must also stop happening!

It is a ridiculous idea that a company with a staff of 1,700 takes a break in August.

Can you imagine the opportunity that might be given to new producers, presenters and researchers, if RTÉ reinstituted all of the news they cut and also developed news during the month of August. Or they could all just start of at retirement age presenting NATIONWIDE.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 34,635 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,635 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Revenue are going to have RTE's guts for garters.

But of course the taxpayer is going to end up bailing RTE out for its bad practices... sigh

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

IS this the second week that the LLS has had a guest pull out of the show?

Brian Cox wasn't present on last nights LLS (I never watch the show, found this out from google). Tadhg Fleming from 'Ultimate Hell Week' pulled out the week before.

Unprecedented, honestly.

Edit: Included wrong name prior.

M

How did RTE get away with pretty much zero representation of Eastern Europeans on air as staff/contractors in the last 20 years with all the money this group of people are spending on the tv licence? The last time I seen someone that could be represented this way was Tatiana Ouliankina, a Russian Act Ress (Liveline ultra pr1ck term for a woman who is an actor) on Fair City circa 10 years ago.

Because they cut children's, news, continuity and other programmes that would provide new "talent" opportunities to progress. But lets just ignore that fact.

______

Yesterday

Queenie died so Mickey D was on hand to read a poem!

______

Yesterday

M

Christ...

RTE's website said tickets started at 25 euros...

That's a major 'mark up'. Minimum ticket price on the site is €32.50 including fees... 😱😱😱😱

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Can anyone explain why Toy Show the Musical is actually a thing? Who asked for it? Who is paying for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,444 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Coppers: The Musical, 'Keano' the Musical, Garth Brooks: The Musical (the one with the guy from Fair City), FRIENDS: The Musical...

There have been a history of sh**e supposed 'musicals' in this country. Each worse than the other.

Toy Show: The Musical is just another in a long, long line of crappy musicals.

I imagine that this is will sell out before any real reviews. I imagen it will be a very paint by the numbers type of musical with few up beat numbers.

Act 1: Young girl dreams of a better life

Act 2: She's told by a teacher that she will never make it

Act 3: A boy will be choose over her for the part in a play

Act 4: She end's up on the Toy Show singing If I were a Toy !

Now that's my begrudgary for the year I guess, if it is successful it will return for a second run, but if they are smart once will be enough.

In other news budget tops RTÉ up by 15m for 2023

Just to recap: -

2019 - Funding from Licence fee to TG4 return to RTÉ, worth an estimated 8m in extra funding (RTÉ fail to mention this)

2020 - 10m extra (RTÉ say it didn't make up for the lose in Ad rev or Licence fee ren)

2021 - 10m continues (RTÉ fail to move the NSO over to the NCH even though it would have been worth an 8m saving)

2022 - 10m continues (RTÉ "successfully" transfer the NSO over the NCH a year late, saving them 8m)

2023 - 10m conintinues + 15m interim funding .... (RTÉ say it was eat up by inflation).

Increase in annual funding to RTÉ since 2019 .... est 41m !

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 33,458 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Just heard the ireland u21 game had gone to extra time, so logged into the Player on my first for the 1st time.

"Something went wrong during native playback". Won't play.

Funny it played the 2 adverts perfectly.

Now I know why so many moan about the quality of the player.

I have a feeling it will have a large dollop of 'pantomine' to it too.

Cue repurposed songs, maybe 'I wanna be where the Toys are' to the tune of The Little Mermaid's 'Part of your world'.

I'm very proud to admit I am going on over a decade now of not watching the LL Toy Show. I think I watched two of Ryan's Toy shows, and then just went 'Nope-I'm done'. From what I've heard, it's gotten worse since then.

The usual argument is the presenters work hard behind the scenes and not just the hour a day. Tubs quite clearly enters the studio at 8:50am and has notes in his desk that he hasn’t read, bluffs (riffs as he says) for 30 mins, interviews one person for 15 mins and then gone … the rest is music and ads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

There was a report out today from the C&AG on the absolute state of the national lottery - them spending c.€120m of unclaimed winnings on advertising and bullsh!tting with their 90% to good causes crap. Another part of the report was about the bogus self-employment issues in Ireland including the entertainment industry. It was covered a bit on Drive Time and must have been a bit awkward for the two contractors.

On the 6.1 they mentioned the lotto bit, but the absentminded little scamps totally forgot to mention the self-employment part of the report.

If it's [s/employ] mentioned on the RTE news site I can't find it, after a fair bit of digging.

Looks like you get 2 days off Six-One duty when presenting Monday Night Live, that's disappointing really. :)

They have extended their 1pm and 6:1 news tonight due to the tragedy in Donegal.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement

Kind of the usual deal, I think. Especially if you do a special report.

And no surprises about extending coverage of the news - horrible, tragic circumstances.

Advertisement