Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Sorry didn't mean just to quote you.

I am stunned we have 2 orchestras. I just can't fathom the process for signing a second orchestra, was there a pitch made to somebody to make an argument for it? Or did someone high up the chain make a vanity decision and push it through? Did nobody say "but we already have an orchestra"? The mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,499 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I am stunned we have 2 orchestras. I just can't fathom the process for signing a second orchestra, was there a pitch made to somebody to make an argument for it? Or did someone high up the chain make a vanity decision and push it through? Did nobody say "but we already have an orchestra"? The mind boggles.

"Love your orchestras!" Thats an order!

Always wondered this myself too. I am no music expert, maybe someone who is could tell me the difference in a symphony orchestra and a concert orchestra?

Afaik, these orchestras consume a large amount of money each year. Are they value for money?

Edit: just did a quick search, in 2016 they cost €15.6m to run !!!
    https://www.thejournal.ie/rte-orchestras-3689456-Nov2017/

Use up 7.1% of the licence fee's gathered.

NIMAN wrote: »

Always wondered this myself too. I am no music expert, maybe someone who is could tell me the difference in a symphony orchestra and a concert orchestra?

Afaik, these orchestras consume a large amount of money each year. Are they value for money?

In fairness if there is a cultural explanation I could get on board with 2 orchestras depending on the cost. Don't want to save money at the expense of genuine musical enrichment and education.

However there will never be a cultural explanation of the salaries of Tubs, Finucane etc. The foam that needs to be scraped starts there for me. I also get angry at the obvious cronyism and nepotism of the hiring practices.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

Edit: just did a quick search, in 2016 they cost €15.6m to run !!!
    https://www.thejournal.ie/rte-orchestras-3689456-Nov2017/

Use up 7.1% of the licence fee's gathered.

Can only assume that Dee’s drum is included in that €15.6 m figure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,411 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

In fairness if there is a cultural explanation I could get on board with 2 orchestras depending on the cost. Don't want to save money at the expense of genuine musical enrichment and education.

However there will never be a cultural explanation of the salaries of Tubs, Finucane etc. The foam that needs to be scraped starts there for me. I also get angry at the obvious cronyism and nepotism of the hiring practices.

Add in the abject inefficiency of the Martina Fitzgerald debacle.………

RTE are about as transparent as black out blinds.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I lived (worked) in Lithuania for about 18 months a few years ago, and subsequently visit there at least once a year now. They are roughly half the size of Ireland in terms of population size. They have 4 national TV stations, all of which are completely self sufficient, are really slick in terms of their production capabilities, and guess what, no TV licence/tax in Lithuania.

The TV licence was probably necessary 20/30/40 years ago when advertising revenue was basic, and quite low, but in this day and age with multiple platforms, and most likely hugely increased revenue streams (particularly around sports advertising), it’s merely become a guaranteed stream of income that RTÉ don’t have to lift a finger to receive, and when the level of expenditure gets so bloated (see massive salaries, ludicrous overtime/out of hours bonus* and random payouts to ex staff whose contracts were not renewed), they come cap in hand to the government demanding more from their free money tree so they can continue to provide the plebs with the services they claim must be preserved.

*I remember reading somewhere that the ground staff/gaffers/riggers who rip the sets apart and rearrange the studios after certain shows have finished for the day/week are on huge additional benefits/bonuses because their job takes place outside of the regular 9 to 5 time slot that a lot of people work. RTÉ unions looking after their members because their members simply do the job they are employed to do.

I’d say if we actually knew how bad it was it would send shockwaves through the country, but who is ever going to expose such behaviour?

We only ever hear about the headline news like Tubbers on €600k, but I’d say the real story is the hundreds and hundreds of regular joes in there on €70k -€100k a year for doing very basic jobs, getting topped up with all sorts of ridiculous bonuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,313 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Add in the abject inefficiency of the Martina Fitzgerald debacle.………

RTE are about as transparent as black out blinds.

That tale was one of the most bizarre 'non-story's' in a long while.
    Someone's contract isn't renewed, therefore they have to seek new employment.

That happens to plumbers up and down the country. As well as Electricians, contract workers. It happens all the time.
    Nobody goes on the news to complain about it.

I think that and the 'breathalyzing people going to mass' claims was just bizarre.

That tale was one of the most bizarre 'non-story's' in a long while.
    Someone's contract isn't renewed, therefore they have to seek new employment.

That happens to plumbers up and down the country. As well as Electricians, contract workers. It happens all the time.
    Nobody goes on the news to complain about it.

I think that and the 'breathalyzing people going to mass' claims was just bizarre.

Yeah, something very strange happened in that one.
    Did it look like she was going to take a sex discrimination claim against RTe for letting her go, so they throw her a pile of money to shut up and move on?

As for their hiring practices, do they not have to advertise jobs like every other employer? Are they allowed to just give jobs out? (yes I'm looking at you Lottie Ryan, you talentless fool)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Looking forward to hearing why Sharon Ní Bheoláin is refusing to do any further broadcasts after her "bust up" in the newsroom during the week. We should expect our licenses/television tax to go up to €260 per year in order to pay Sharon the compensation pay-off/bribe for that incident.

On my post over on the Martina Fitzgerald thread, I used words like petulant, self-righteous, entitled, to describe RTE staff. They are truly living on a different planet to the rest of us.

Dismantle RTE now. Rebrand it on an advertiser/subscriber basis and I guarantee you that we will get value for money.

• Advertisement

Sharon Ní Bheoláin is refusing to do any further broadcasts after her "bust up" in the newsroom

Tell us more !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

TV today was absolutely awful-repeats of 'Indie' Irish movies. One with Pat Shortt, and he's on TV Sunday as well.

And 'Niall Horan and the RTE Orchestra'-isn't that a repeat? So it's another way to 'justify' the RTe Orchestra.

More of it. Why are RTE making gods out of the likes of Niall Horan. Isn't it an insult to an orchestra to have them back this non-entity from a 10th rate band.

More of it. Why are RTE making gods out of the likes of Niall Horan. Isn't it an insult to an orchestra to have them back this non-entity from a 10th rate band.

I’m sure they are fully aware that musically this has absolutely no merit, but they are also aware that most likely every 8-14 year old girl in Ireland will be glued to this.

I also doubt very much the orchestra would feel any way insulted, but rather feel vindicated and justified for the living that they are otherwise stealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,204 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Sharon Ní Bheoláin is refusing to do any further broadcasts after her "bust up" in the newsroom

Tell us more !!

I googled her name and found his.
    https://www.her.ie/news/sharon-ni-bheolain-complaint-newsroom-row-442593

It's not that hard to find out :P

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

*I remember reading somewhere that the ground staff/gaffers/riggers who rip the sets apart and rearrange the studios after certain shows have finished for the day/week are on huge additional benefits/bonuses because their job takes place outside of the regular 9 to 5 time slot that a lot of people work. RTÉ unions looking after their members because their members simply do the job they are employed to do.

I’d say if we actually knew how bad it was it would send shockwaves through the country, but who is ever going to expose such behaviour?

We only ever hear about the headline news like Tubbers on €600k, but I’d say the real story is the hundreds and hundreds of regular joes in there on €70k -€100k a year for doing very basic jobs, getting topped up with all sorts of ridiculous bonuses.

iirc that story came out when there was that RTE insider on Twitter releasing stories about what goes on in RTE. The group of people who assemble and dissemable sets are called stagers. There is absolutely nothing technical about their job, they just move bits of sets around and put them together. The job is highly unionised and if these lads get upset then programs cant go ahead. It came out that with premium payments for working unsocial hours these stagers are being paid circa €100k a year which must make it the highest paid semi-skilled job anywhere in Ireland. It also came out that a huge amount of these stagers all come from the one family and that when anyone retires the new employee hired will come from the same family.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

Just stumbled across this thread, my idea of saving RTE is as follows.
    Cut the insane salaries by 75%, Ryan Tubs to be on €150,000 per annum, Ray Darcy on €120,000 and so on way down the list, all their pay is scandalous high.
    Full High Definition (1920×1080i) for RTE ONE and RTE TWO.
    Get rid of RTE Jr, RTE NewsNow and RTE ONE+1
    Radio 1 is okay, 2fm and RTE Gold to merge.
    Take RnaG and Lyric off the FM band as those channels make no money for RTE.
    I don't see the sense in the rest of the Digital Radio channels either, so they should go.
    Keep it tidy and simple, reduce the salaries for God's sake and RTE may have a future then.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Just stumbled across this thread, my idea of saving RTE is as follows.
    Cut the insane salaries by 75%, Ryan Tubs to be on €150,000 per annum, Ray Darcy on €120,000 and so on way down the list, all their pay is scandalous high.
    Full High Definition (1920×1080i) for RTE ONE and RTE TWO.
    Get rid of RTE Jr, RTE NewsNow and RTE ONE+1
    Radio 1 is okay, 2fm and RTE Gold to merge.
    Take RnaG and Lyric off the FM band as those channels make no money for RTE.
    I don't see the sense in the rest of the Digital Radio channels either, so they should go.
    Keep it tidy and simple, reduce the salaries for God's sake and RTE may have a future then.

RnaG and Lyric meet rte's public service remit. they aren't supposed to make money all be it if they do it is a boness. the digital channels would be the same.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Muahahaha wrote: »
    iirc that story came out when there was that RTE insider on Twitter releasing stories about what goes on in RTE. The group of people who assemble and dissemable sets are called stagers. There is absolutely nothing technical about their job, they just move bits of sets around and put them together. The job is highly unionised and if these lads get upset then programs cant go ahead. It came out that with premium payments for working unsocial hours these stagers are being paid circa €100k a year which must make it the highest paid semi-skilled job anywhere in Ireland. It also came out that a huge amount of these stagers all come from the one family and that when anyone retires the new employee hired will come from the same family.

Wasn't there also the story of why the Late Late camera work is so drudgy and motionless is the cameramen throwing a hissy when asked to use mobile cameras (which needs 1 person to shoot and another to hold leads out of the way etc) and started claiming the second person had to be a fully trained and equally paid cameraman too...to do a job a child could do!

Goes to show how rotten RTE is; its not just the vastly overpriced "stars" on top but corrupt and slimy the whole way down the organisation. Probably why they push so many reality shows with one of their "stars" out 'n about interviewing people....don't need a set so can avoid the ludicrous payments for these yokes and keep costs down for the shows.

And how the hell did premium payments for "unsociable hours" every get within spitting distance of a contract for these kinds of jobs: should have been made clear the jobs would be at odd times so take it or leave it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Wasn't there also the story of why the Late Late camera work is so drudgy and motionless is the cameramen throwing a hissy when asked to use mobile cameras (which needs 1 person to shoot and another to hold leads out of the way etc) and started claiming the second person had to be a fully trained and equally paid cameraman too...to do a job a child could do!

Goes to show how rotten RTE is; its not just the vastly overpriced "stars" on top but corrupt and slimy the whole way down the organisation. Probably why they push so many reality shows with one of their "stars" out 'n about interviewing people....don't need a set so can avoid the ludicrous payments for these yokes and keep costs down for the shows.

And how the hell did premium payments for "unsociable hours" every get within spitting distance of a contract for these kinds of jobs: should have been made clear the jobs would be at odd times so take it or leave it!

Too much of this reality junk on RTE with the so-called 'stars' doing this, that and the other. I am sick of seeing the same people and same old shows on over and over. Most people are not interested in them but RTE seems to be club of pals looking after pals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

that's the reason why so many of the programmes are farmed out to third party companies who don't use union employees/will work irregular hours without extra pay/won't submit huge expenses claims per union man,etc,etc. It is infinitely cheaper and easier to get a programme made that way and the unions don't care as long as "their" staff get paid on time.

• Advertisement

Stovepipe wrote: »
    that's the reason why so many of the programmes are farmed out to third party companies who don't use union employees/will work irregular hours without extra pay/won't submit huge expenses claims per union man,etc,etc. It is infinitely cheaper and easier to get a programme made that way and the unions don't care as long as "their" staff get paid on time.

Reminds me of working as a mechanical fitter years ago in ESB power stations.

We’d (sub contractors) come in and do the maintenance work/outages on the gas/steam turbines, and the ESB mechanical fitters would be paid double time for the entirety of the outage to ‘allow’ sub contractors come in to do the work that technically they were employed to do.

Regular time - they got double time
    Double time - they got quadruple time

A particular station down in Kerry had this deal in place for 14 months while all the various outages took place. Then 2 months later we were sent back in to do a small inspection but the ESB shop stewards wouldn’t let us work as their boys weren’t put back on their double bubble deal. We sat in our tool container for 3 days before being told to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,313 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Too much of this reality junk on RTE with the so-called 'stars' doing this, that and the other. I am sick of seeing the same people and same old shows on over and over. Most people are not interested in them but RTE seems to be club of pals looking after pals.

Or they spent all of €2.50 to do an awful panto with Karl Spain, and the other guy who's in everything but has never quite hit the big time.

Turned it over for five minutes, forgetting that RTE 1's news is only a half hour long this time of the year.
    They've really gone all out cheap this year.
    Wonder how much the Martina Fitzgerald payment sapped from the already paltry Xmas budget.

Also, what exactly was the deal with Sharon Ni Bheolain's complaint? Seemed like she got high and mighty, and then was ticked nobody else saw her as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,411 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Reminds me of working as a mechanical fitter years ago in ESB power stations.

We’d (sub contractors) come in and do the maintenance work/outages on the gas/steam turbines, and the ESB mechanical fitters would be paid double time for the entirety of the outage to ‘allow’ sub contractors come in to do the work that technically they were employed to do.

Regular time - they got double time
    Double time - they got quadruple time

A particular station down in Kerry had this deal in place for 14 months while all the various outages took place. Then 2 months later we were sent back in to do a small inspection but the ESB shop stewards wouldn’t let us work as their boys weren’t put back on their double bubble deal. We sat in our tool container for 3 days before being told to leave.

So true, so true, I’m sure anyone who had dealings with semi states and PS could relate similar and maybe even worse from that era.

And probably the reason they had to get the ‘subbies’ in was they took their time with everything and a huge build up of tasks to be completed occurred and if they took them in rotation they would never get to the end !

Does that scenario ring a bell!

Could be worthy of a separate thread when the bile starts rising again after Xmas:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Tell us more !!

Hasn't been the same since Brian the man got the boot and the Trump hater arrived on the scene

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Im planning to scrap my TV and just use a large computer monitor with an Android box.... Therefore I don't technically own a TV so I don't expect to pay a TV license since my Monitor nor my Android box have TV signal antennas. Am I right? If they come past my house with those scanners to detect a TV signal from my house they won't find one.....

RTE, bunch of TV license fee wanting b@stards! I never ever watch RTE, ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Im planning to scrap my TV and just use a large computer monitor with an Android box.... Therefore I don't technically own a TV so I don't expect to pay a TV license since my Monitor nor my Android box have TV signal antennas. Am I right? If they come past my house with those scanners to detect a TV signal from my house they won't find one.....

Wonder if Dee is on Grafton St This morning looking at how she's squandering in excess of 400k ?
    Probably in Lanzarote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

I didn't realize how rotten RTE actually was.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I've a great idea, I know a crowd up north who'd collect it for them !

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Wonder if Dee is on Grafton St This morning looking at how she's squandering in excess of 400k ?
    Probably in Lanzarote

If say she’s more the Barbados than Lanzarote type tbh, and the host will be taking home more than €400k this year.

• Advertisement

No, I think you're wrong I'm afraid.

Is it not worded in such a way that if you have any equipment that has the ability to receive TV channels in any shape or form, you must have a TV licence.

The authorities know that the way people watch TVs is changing. And they are trying to cover all bases. I think they are even moving away from calling it a 'TV' licence, as many don't get their entertainment on physical TVs, but on smart phones, laptops, etc.

So to them it doesn't matter if you throw out all your TVs, you will still have equipment in the house that could receive a TV picture.

Advertisement