Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,498 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

they're freelance contractors rather than rte employees so they can do any nixers they like

They have contractors anchoring their maim news?

I'd have thought you'd have been an Rte employee when in that position.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

NIMAN wrote: »
    They have contractors anchoring their maim news?

I'd have thought you'd have been an Rte employee when in that position.

open to correction on that but all their "stars" certainly are contractors as a means to lower tax exposure and maybe to avoid public service pay limits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

What about the contributors on the rte website?
    Some of the "articles" are complete nonsense; about tweets, how to make your Christmas table instagrammable, or some "celebrity".
    Are the written by employees or someone on a per article basis?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

liveline: Callback in the middle of xmas week. FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 8,313 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Cos then they'll have hard figures for how few people watch their crap output and face pressure to do something about their useless player.

Plus they also have childrens shows on the RTE player-if kids had to ask their parents for the license fee number, to access shows on the player, it could backfire quite quickly.

Plus we know the player is already terrible, and the choice of adverts are not age marketed. So if they did, they could get themselves in more trouble.
    Because we know RTE are hardly competent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Cos then they'll have hard figures for how few people watch their crap output and face pressure to do something about their useless player.

They updated the player and it is a lot better now
    Does it actually work? What are your chances of getting to the end of a show before it decides to freeze or keep replaying part 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

The mind boggles how we sold off Eircom and the broadband and communications network OpenEir owns yet persist with the loss making, presenter overpaying ****show that is RTE

The mind boggles how we sold off Eircom and the broadband and communications network OpenEir owns yet persist with the loss making, presenter overpaying ****show that is RTE

Their tv is abominable this year-even the movies are shown days or weeks in advance on the BBC.
    The only 'exclusives' they had were Keith Barry New Years show.

With the usual parastitic hangers ons. Abominable. I end up recording late night movies, or early morning movies because Otherwise, I'm grabbing a dvd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

Their tv is abominable this year-even the movies are shown days or weeks in advance on the BBC.
    The only 'exclusives' they had were Keith Barry New Years show.

With the usual parastitic hangers ons. Abominable. I end up recording late night movies, or early morning movies because Otherwise, I'm grabbing a dvd.

TV at Christmas can be awful. Some good films for sure but all this RTE-produced stuff is sure to be awful. Mrs Brown and other such comedy shows. The Keith Barry thing is just RTE's inbred 'stars' yet again and speaking of 'stars', they are advertising this 'dancing' thing again kicking off the last night of Christmas and to dominate the period between Christmas and Easter. I don't know or care who will be on this but one can expect quite a few RTE TV presenters. One needs DVDs.

I think the ONLY programme shown on RTE this year that I watched and enjoyed was The Handmaid's Tale. I will give RTE credit for being the first in Europe to show season 2 of this but needless to say, this was not a programme made by RTE. This great drama deserved though to be on RTE 1 say on a Sunday at 9.30 like other dramas but of course, RTE had their own inferior dramas like Striking Out to show or the even worse reality things.

• Advertisement

TV at Christmas can be awful. Some good films for sure but all this RTE-produced stuff is sure to be awful. Mrs Brown and other such comedy shows. The Keith Barry thing is just RTE's inbred 'stars' yet again and speaking of 'stars', they are advertising this 'dancing' thing again kicking off the last night of Christmas and to dominate the period between Christmas and Easter. I don't know or care who will be on this but one can expect quite a few RTE TV presenters. One needs DVDs.

I found BBC and Channel 4 was much more interesting. They had better movies, and better shows. As did Sky One. Film 4 was a lifesaver.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Anyone watching the Billionaire B&B...Yasmine Akram is the presenter. She’s excellent . Hope she gets a few more shows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Ipso wrote: »
    What about the contributors on the rte website?
    Some of the "articles" are complete nonsense; about tweets, how to make your Christmas table instagrammable, or some "celebrity".
    Are the written by employees or someone on a per article basis?

Very hard to take the RTE website seriously. If you look at the BBC equivalent its day and night. RTE is The Sun/Daily Mail and the BBC is The Guardian/Times in newspaper terms. Sad really.

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Anyone watching the Billionaire B&B...Yasmine Akram is the presenter. She’s excellent . Hope she gets a few more shows

Yasmine ticked me off when she did The Center, and also turned up on the weakest series of Sherlock.
    Those two shows were so close together, that I was permanently switched off from her.

She's an actress, allegedly, but not a very good one. I think she 'did a Baz' and went from acting to prezenting because her acting gigs weren't happening.

I don't watch shows where people flaunt their wealth either-I just find them self-indulgent.

I found BBC and Channel 4 was much more interesting. They had better movies, and better shows. As did Sky One. Film 4 was a lifesaver.

RTE's answer to Christmas season TV is shove on both new and old episodes of Mrs Brown's Boys. Guess what is on tonight on RTE 1?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

RTE's answer to Christmas season TV is shove on both new and old episodes of Mrs Brown's Boys. Guess what is on tonight on RTE 1?

Don’t forget the Nathan Carter Show Christmas Special..

... with very special guest: Nathan Carter’s younger brother.

Don’t forget the Nathan Carter Show Christmas Special..

... with very special guest: Nathan Carter’s younger brother.

Will not be watching any of this. Mrs Brown = brutal. The other Christmas specials? Nathan Carter? Keith Barry? All sure to be RTE meeting up with guests from RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

I gave up the TV a decade ago mainly because it became a distractive noise in the corner of the room and I had access to the internet so I could get essential information like weather and traffic elsewhere. The final straw for me was Pat Kennys dispute with his neighbour where I asked myself the question why am I paying for RTE? I also twigged Gerry Ryans alcohol and drug abuse before he died of a heart attack and I could only see myself getting a bill and nothing in return. So I got rid of the TV and stopped paying the TV tax and have not looked back.

I've also stopped consuming Irish news print media even that available on the internet because I find the output to be very shallow and its often a regurgitation of articles I've read elsewhere with Irish names inserted and I can also pick out the vested interests behind the news articles. It is entirely predictable and slanted as is much of western media. There really are only a handful of journalists on the Irish market that can actually write good copy and the problem is they are not all in one place so I'm going out of my way to pay for all the dross.

RTE are probably OK for light entertainment, news and sports headlines and weather and that's probably their niche in the current media market. RTE does not interest me but obviously others do watch it and give their opinions on it and if they are sufficiently ticked off can switch off and give away the TV.

I don't care about the quality of RTEs output, repeats, nepotism, the orchestra, or the tax efficient contractors wages as it does not cost me anything and I don't consume it. My objection to RTE is the fact they are looking for my money through new internet and property taxes even though I have left them behind and want nothing further to do with them.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

Well you see there are many with a tv who watch channels other than RTE, pay for those channels and enjoy them but are also expected to pay for RTE, even if they never use the service, indeed, may not even be able to access RTE with whatever service they use, simply because they use a television. I don't have sky, should I pay a sky subscription?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I don't have the means to watch RTE on my TV. I just use Freesat, Amazon and Netflix. The only thing I watched all year on rte was the toy show with the kids on the rte player, which were both a pile of ****e.

Pain in the arse to be paying 160 odd quid for one program.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

This great drama deserved though to be on RTE 1 say on a Sunday at 9.30 like other dramas but of course, RTE had their own inferior dramas like Striking Out to show or the even worse reality things.

Given the tantrum thrown last week over the news presenting, can imagine a lot of the "stars" would throw a fit if their "amaaaazing" new show wasn't given a prime-time slot. And we all know that RTE seems to only be run as a vanity machine for these "stars", who must be kept happy at all costs (both figuratively and literally)!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Given the tantrum thrown last week over the news presenting, can imagine a lot of the "stars" would throw a fit if their "amaaaazing" new show wasn't given a prime-time slot. And we all know that RTE seems to only be run as a vanity machine for these "stars", who must be kept happy at all costs (both figuratively and literally)!

Re. the above....Misery and Death Enthusiast (its RTÉ so I guess that doesn’t narrow it down) Joe Duffy had a show on Radio 1 on St. Stephen’s Day about people who died during the year. They show was repeated yesterday, and is being repeated again today. He will get fees for each repeat btw.

And now it is all this dancing thing with the 'stars' being promoted. Between Christmas and Easter, it will be a diet of reality shows each Sunday from 6.30PM until 10 or 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

The only things I find worth watching are the cookery programmes with Nevin Maguire and Darina Allen's brother (can't stand Donal Skehan as I think he's a phony) and anything with John Creedon. Everything else is just imported crap, poor to average quality dramas/comedies and various vanity projects for RTE employees (Alison Spittle's most recent show, Karl Spain want to Rock). The Late Late Show regularly raids the RTE canteen for "guests" (Brian Dobson was the most recent) and puts on the cheapest low rent "entertainment" it can get away with. It's not a patch on Graham Norton or Jonathan Ross or even Alan Carr. Then they bully and browbeat their viewers by persistently showing TV Licence adverts and having "Supported by your License Fee" at the end of programme credits.

If RTE scrapped the TV licence and switched to a subscription service such as Netflix and Amazon Prime it would really need to step up the quality of their programming in order to get people to subscribe to their service. At present they've no interest in doing this as they believe it's just easier to hound and bully people into paying for what is becoming an outdated and oppressive system of paying for TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,982 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Thr interesting thing about that tantrum was rte were actually saving money using the correspondent that was in London

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

And now it is all this dancing thing with the 'stars' being promoted. Between Christmas and Easter, it will be a diet of reality shows each Sunday from 6.30PM until 10 or 11.

Or Dancing With The Staff as Oliver Callan calls it. ;)

The only things I find worth watching are the cookery programmes with Nevin Maguire and Darina Allen's brother (can't stand Donal Skehan as I think he's a phony) and anything with John Creedon. Everything else is just imported crap, poor to average quality dramas/comedies and various vanity projects for RTE employees (Alison Spittle's most recent show, Karl Spain want to Rock). The Late Late Show regularly raids the RTE canteen for "guests" (Brian Dobson was the most recent) and puts on the cheapest low rent "entertainment" it can get away with. It's not a patch on Graham Norton or Jonathan Ross or even Alan Carr. Then they bully and browbeat their viewers by persistently showing TV Licence adverts and having "Supported by your License Fee" at the end of programme credits.

If RTE scrapped the TV licence and switched to a subscription service such as Netflix and Amazon Prime it would really need to step up the quality of their programming in order to get people to subscribe to their service. At present they've no interest in doing this as they believe it's just easier to hound and bully people into paying for what is becoming an outdated and oppressive system of paying for TV.

RTE show the odd good drama and films but one can watch these still if RTE didn't exist! Anything RTE make themselves is 99 times out of 100 very poor. We are paying for RTE's fake 'stars' such as Alison Spittle and Karl Spain who no one thinks are funny. Just put these types into generic programmes where they can go out and about is the format. That Dancing is another example: put the fake 'stars' into a dancing show to further provide screen time to people of no particular talent.

One can see the good dramas and films elsewhere and I think a programme by programme system or where one can drop in and out of watching would be better. There are too many Irish channels too, all with the same rubbish on them and the same 'stars'. Paying a fee for a TV station that does not even give the public what they want is wrong.

Love /Hate

Strumpet City about 38 years ago.

In terms of quality drama, that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,982 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

RTE show the odd good drama and films but one can watch these still if RTE didn't exist! Anything RTE make themselves is 99 times out of 100 very poor. We are paying for RTE's fake 'stars' such as Alison Spittle and Karl Spain who no one thinks are funny. Just put these types into generic programmes where they can go out and about is the format. That Dancing is another example: put the fake 'stars' into a dancing show to further provide screen time to people of no particular talent.

One can see the good dramas and films elsewhere and I think a programme by programme system or where one can drop in and out of watching would be better. There are too many Irish channels too, all with the same rubbish on them and the same 'stars'. Paying a fee for a TV station that does not even give the public what they want is wrong.

Hey leave Karl Spain out of this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Great news lads and lassies. The RTE newsroom is getting a revamp for 2019. WooHoo! That will change things, won't it?
    Maybe there will be the possibility of unbiased, impartial reporting of news events in 2019? You know, where there is an opportunity for two sides of a story to be heard.

Anyway, back to the good news. Keelin Shanley in her expose to the Irish Independent:
    "We are very excited about it, very excited. I don't know the details yet but I believe we are getting some form of [makeover]".
    Huh?
    You don't know the details but getting very excited about it. Well, that type of response could explain quite a number of terrible reports carried out by the crack RTE news squad this past year.

Speaking to the Independent about her experience of the last year on the Six One News: "it was difficult for her to pinpoint a highlight of the news year."
    "The highlight is always if something is happening while you're on air, if something is breaking. The weather was a big one - we were almost sleeping in RTÉ we were reporting so much."

Good God Almighty. The weather?

Advertisement