Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I think it is too late and too expensive for RTÉ to try again with 2FM. They need to cut the service back to self-suffiency. They have had serveral chances between 2011 and now to get 2FM back, and they have failed massively. Cut it back for 3 years and then consider investing.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

5k for a Christmas tree while they lecture us on global warming. It’s an evergreen just plant one outside.

So just to end the year I thought I would post here. After 7 years of many posters trying to highlight the many issues at RTÉ even the most critical of RTÉ possibly didn't see this outcome happening.

The fall out after everything came out fully was : -

1. The first time in the history of RTÉ that the Director General was suspended, and possibly the first time that a DG quit under such circumstances
    2. The resignation of their strategic director or depending on your point of view his sacking.
    3. The early retirement of their commercial director or depending on your point of view her sacking.
    4. The resignation of their Chief financial officer, or depending on your point of view his sacking.
    5. The resignation of just one board member and another board member (who'd sat as the deputy Chair) deciding not to take on another term on the board. (though we have to assume their departures weren't caused by the scandal).

... but then you have the promotion of Adrian Lynch to the position of Deputy DG, a strange move, but don't worry its only a nominal promotion, he's not getting any extra money for his new role... who knows in 5 years time he might even be DG....

To those who argued for RTÉ, where did you go? Do you now trust, in someway, a bunch of Keyboard Warriors who tried to highlight the continued mismanagement of our public service broadcaster? Or is it still a case that before any changes can be made we must define what Public Service Broadcasting / media is!

All the same to everyone who post here on this thread, Happy Christmas and I look forward to more interaction with you all in the New Year.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭political analyst

How would deferring of transmission of a programme that has already been made save money? I'm aware that transmission of the next series (which I'm not sure whether it has been made) of the comedy 'The Young Offenders', which I've never watched, has been deferred.

Accounting practice from what I can see. The money maybe spent in year x, but the product my not sell until year y, allowing for the cost to be off set in year y rather than year x. They do this a lot, TV Drama Amber being the most noticeable one.

Read their independent productions unit/commissioning annual report and you'll see how the work it.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement

Haven't watch the whole of this and possible won't. But Dee is asked what has RTÉ done wrong? And she completely deflects the question by suggesting that perhaps RTÉ need to better promote what it does well. In this question alone it shows that she's not on top of her job nor has she the ability to see the problems that exist in RTÉ. This is an interview with joe.ie as soft ball news service, that RTÉ once thought of buying into.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Our two are 18 and 13 and in neither of their friend groups nor themselves do any of them listen to FM radio at all, let alone 2fm.

The only exposure they have to radio is when ELM puts on Newstalk in the car.

18 YO: When I am I getting a car... so I can listen to 2FM!

______

Yesterday

The two-part Holocaust documentary 'The Devil's Confession', which was shown on BBC Two before the end of last year, is being shown on RTÉ2, starting on Saturday 13 January.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭briany

Her therapist may have told her to deflect such questions so as not to jeopardise her fragile mental health.

• Advertisement

And in case were weren't sure some people arrive in a hour before with no research or names known: -

For "unglamourous" games

"Give me a name or two" and I'd fire a couple of names .... as we came back from commercial, I'd tell him the two lads didn't exist... he'd still provided 3 minutes of analysis.

he always met somebody .... that would talk to him and give him enough material .... for 3 or 4 mins without going into much detail about the game.

What it meant was that Joe had occupied 4 minutes of screen time and we were up and running.

The book sounds as boring as watching Pat Spillane chat about GAA. Hilarious it is not and that's not just because I am unimpressed by the story but it is just a nothing story that really just says... Took money from RTÉ Sat and Sun, Man of the People Joe Brolly got away with a lot more.

______

Yesterday

RTÉ has not interest in even promoting this series, RTÉ2 is now just about First Dates for the next couple of weeks until the arrival of Six Nations.

______

Yesterday

It's still meaningful that RTÉ is broadcasting the documentary all the same.

It might be meaningful in someway but they are largely not arsed with it. RTÉ should be promoting the hell out of both for RTÉ2 and for the RTÉ player. This is part of the 25m spend in imported programming.

RTÉ2's auidence outside of sport is piss poor. It has some great programmes put RTÉ are unable to in anyway deliver a schedule for RTÉ2 or promote them.

Irish programming outside sport is negligible, 2 original Irish productions Home Rescue and First Dates and one live sports event.

In total 13 hours 30 mins of new programming for a full prime time schedule (and I have extended that out until 1:30).

No News or Current Affairs on the channel.

This is next weeks schedule on RTÉ, It's very Red for REPEATS.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Mrs Brown getting another run out tonight.

Surely get another airing before the months out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Why do you say that? There's a lot of BBC stuff that's shown on rte & on the player

They haven't had trailers for weekend documentaries on RTÉ2 for years anyway.

Because that documentary is about the Holocaust.

Any trailers for that documentary or any documentary on the RTÉ player bar any Irish content that has aired on RTÉ ONE?

RTÉ have a huge platform to promote their services. Look at the news channel. Promos consit sole of current TV and player programming. You'd think every now and then they might consider even a little ad on the News Channel for their history docs, or even a promo of their historty docs on RTÉ Gold .... does RTÉ GOLD have any promotions for any RTÉ products :) .....

I wonder what RTÉ product RTÉ GOLD has only every advertised ... I wonder ... interesting .... I wonder ... what could that product be ...

as they say "Answers on a postcard"

______

Yesterday

Kevin Bee is sweetening the deal for our rural / regional TDs.

Sales of their Cork offices / studios, upgrading it to a new location in the City.

Looking to Nationwide to go to 4 times a week and for the first time Today (or any RTÉ daytime TV show) to run a full 52 weeks.

He's going down the old Virgin Media / TV3 route on audience figures "Both of those programmes, they're doing very well ratings-wise at the moment so we'll look to build on that initially" .... really how well and both have been on the air for more than a decade has something changed? What are the audience number between 3 and 5:30 on RTÉ 1 during the months Today is not on the air.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Expunge

It seems that both programmes (Nationwide and Afternoon Show) are as cheap as chips to make and rely heavily on outside contracted companies to make. That's all. They'll hope to bypass the 'traditional' way of making RTE programmes, by unionised staffers out of Donnybrook, for this model.

I can't imagine it'll be too long before there's a confrontation with SIPTU over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,816 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

...and that is relevant, how?

It's just yet another import filling space, which anyone who is interested had the opportunity to see already.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Are they? The Afternoon Show hasn't been on the air in 15 years, and RTÉ move Today back into the confines of RTÉ in-house productions a decade ago.

I have no problem if they do that but you'll find that Today most likely has the same budget as Ireland AM and The Six O'Clock.

Nationwide is a 3 day week, most of the content are repeat showings of older articles, ask any regular viewers of nationwide.

______

Yesterday

I think it is a wider issue. I'd love to see the viewing figures for these imports on the player less than 10k views, while RTÉ2 audience take a deep dive.

I'd argue that this is more an issue of the marketing of the content RTÉ provides and its inability to do so.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

How about something for the under 65's.

An Irish version of Matlock to be developed by RTÉ in response to the aging crisis.

______

Yesterday

Yes, sorry, I meant "Today".

My understanding is that apart from the executive producer/editor and the presenters, almost nobody working on it works for RTE directly. Also, with most of the segments and even the fecking couches on the set sponsored, it must be a relatively cheap bit of TV.

Also, I think it's a long time since a staff camera person or editing was used on a Nationwide segment.

If both nationwide and Today are so cheap to produce why isn't Nationwide running 5 days a week and why is Today not running year round? When did RTÉ management make this epiphany?

I suspect that Today has the same budget as both Ireland AM and The Six O'Clock Show. And that Daytime on RTÉ regardless of product placement and competitions is an expensive show to produce.

Nationwide AFAIK comes under News and Current Affairs so I can only imagine the shenanigans on for that production.

______

Yesterday

Nationwide is/was known as "Red Neck Round Up" in the RTE newsroom. It was never taken seriously by the titanic egos (on and off air) in there. Now that it's useful to help repair the image of RTE in terms of regional content, it's time has come. I agree with you though. Far too many repeats.

I think Today is cheaper to do out of Cork than it would be from Dublin as, I think, TVM crew the studio (I may be wrong on the company). It's all relative though, I guess.

• Advertisement

So the 2 main presenters don't live in Cork, one in Galway and the other in Dublin. Even this should suggest that the cost of the show is more than it should be, the guest presenters or panel are also often not based in Cork many are based in Dublin.

What are the wages of the 2 main presenters? What are RTÉ crews doing in Dublin when TVM are working in cork. RTÉ TV studio must be dead most of the time save for the 1pm news.

______

Yesterday

Advertisement