Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Ireland is small but someone has allowed a select few to control everything that feeds us news and entertainment.

The more I read about the way rte has been run in the past and the pathetic way they are attempting to carry on but with a few miserable tweaks, the angrier I get.

Haven't watched rte in years but always reluctantly paid the licence fee. ( I'd always joke it was keeping Duffy and Tubidy from poverty). How little I bloody knew.

And what a fool I feel for being hoodwinked by these bandits.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,395 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Although I agree with the sentiment colourful language I think can hide the reality of what happened.

What happened was a bunch of insiders were enriching themselves on the back of the license payer. RTE was Forbes fiefdom - she did what she liked, no one questioned her or her methods. Oversight was the task of another bunch of inept insiders.

Moya Doherty did say the women would change RTE. Indeed they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Right so it is clear Dee Forbes was running the place as a personal fiefdom and all her mates were at the trough.

Where the **** is she? A certain politically connected Cork family pulling strings probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭fplfan12345

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

• Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Who is this doctor giving these sick notes for Dee Forbes??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,506 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Registered Users Posts: 34,819 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

A report by a legal firm appointed by RTÉ to conduct a review of voluntary exit packages has found that ten departures did not satisfy the requirements of a redundancy within the meaning of the Redundancy Payments Acts.

In these cases, under the 2017 Voluntary Exit Programme, McCann Fitzgerald said that Revenue Commissioners may take the view that RTÉ should not have applied a tax exemption to these redundancy payments.

"While the reasons for this varied and included roles that needed to be backfilled within a short period of time, the Revenue Commissioners may take the view that RTÉ should not have applied the tax exemption applicable to statutory redundancy payments to the payments received by some or all of these individuals," the report found.

"This will however be a matter for the Revenue Commissioners to determine. The total amount of statutory redundancy sums paid to these ten individuals was €223,010," it states.

🙄

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Larry Bass on Virgin TV defending RTE, because he has skin and lots of money in RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭BarryNumber1

😀 I was thinking the same, even if there is a 'hearing' of some kind, the likelihood of it doing any good is remote, and Dee can say whatever she wants without consequences. Would prefer a proper annual independent audit to ensure my compulsory TV license is at least going to content generation and it's production.

Don't think there is any question regarding redundancy payments where the job is immediately filled. That is the whole point of making a position redundant - it no longer exists, unless you are the person in control of the finances and fancy a nice exit package.

Should be criminal and fraud charges brought against her

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Look at the credits of his dancing with the stars show. Several Bass family members credited. Huge skin in that rte game for Larry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Rhymes with?

Would it be Clooney? More clues please.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Same old RTE. Every few years they make a big song and dance about cost cutting and layoffs, when in reality most of the posts are either not made redundent or someone is rehired as a contractor later for unforseen events like you know a World Cup or Olympics. And don't mention the barter account or nepotism.

Rotten corrupt organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

Correct. An individual isn’t made redundant , their job is.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yet a new person was employed at over 200k.

Rte really is an utter mess, and I still think there are so many stories we have yet to hear about, and may never know.

Something needs to be done to start bringing people to account. Public money was wasted so badly, yet we have zero accountability. And they are hauling people before the courts for refusing to pay a tv licence for this ongoing clusterfcuk.

Exactly - don't pay the licence you are brought to court - waste tax payers money, defraud the company, spend money with no accountability and sail off in to the sunset with a nice little package. All the pensions for these people should be stopped and any payouts taken to court to recoup the money.

It's sickening that people with little money are penalised and nothing is done about the real criminals

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭fplfan12345

It looks more like fraud than ’money wasted’.

They would LOVE us to think it’s just money wasted or poor management. That’s what they’re hoping to hide behind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

• Registered Users Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭RoTelly

@Emblematic just thinking about it all and realize that regardless of any questions I might have about your idea at the end of the day your idea is calling for RTÉ to go, so I am with you on that.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

Dee is trending on Twitter / X.

The leadership team when it is announce will possibly not include Eimear Cusack, and I wonder how long Robert Short can stay in the role of Company Secretary. It is strange that Bakhurst would keep these people on this Leadership team. He's really not done very much in the time he has been there.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭gifted

Why are they not dismantling Rte?....They did it with FAS years ago when they discovered the shite show that it was.

Is it because a lot of employees are suit and tie and well in with politicians?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

With all its much vaunted brilliance for investigative journalism, isn't it surprising that Prime Time or other programmes never uncovered or investigated all this activity in RTE?

Now, the poor feckers in RTE news find themselves having being played for chumps. The whole RTE organisation needs to be investigated. This also includes the former board and management.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭RunningFlyer

I’m just astonished the government seem to only care about reforming the licence fee. I genuinely am starting to feel these reports will be swept under the carpet and a “we move on” mantra adopted.

Imagine the repercussions for those 2x recent reports (Toy Show musical & VR package) for an executive at a private company.

How they can let anyone away with this (into the sunset with their generous pension) is criminal.

Ah now sure Dee and Moya wouldn't have had to have done all this jiggery-pokery had RTÉ been properly funded.

Did you not get that memo?

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Why should people who don't have a TV have to pay a TV licence?

Why do I have to pay for your entertainment?

And lets not pay any credence to the oft quoted "they're getting their TV through other means" nonsense.

I don't know anyone under 65 who regularly watches RTE or listens to their Radio stations.

I personally think that Public Service Broadcasting is important and that we should have some from of public funding of it, however RTÉ have never lived up to the idea of being a public service broadcaster, it was always

1. The audience don't understand
    2. We don't get enough money
    3. Its a small country
    4. We need to pay these people to get the best people

We now know almost all of the above are untrue when they systematically used the money for themselves and not content or services.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

It's not for you or me it's for public broadcasting in general not just RTE. It won't be a 'TV' licence hopefully in the future.

Advertisement