Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Isn't it about time they reeled in reeling in the years?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,430 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Sardonicat wrote: »

The loop must be frayed at this stage.

kneemos wrote: »

The loop must be frayed at this stage.
    The on/off switch broken, apparently. A bit like a house alarm that you can't turn off and keeps going on and on and on and ...

The on/off switch broken, apparently. A bit like a house alarm that you can't turn off and keeps going on and on and on and ...

I pay the license,I reserve the right to be critical.

Also I never watch it to turn it off.

I pay the license,I reserve the right to be critical.

Also I never watch it to turn it off.
    Sorry, I wasn't criticising you at all. I agree with you. I was referring to the continual loop of "Reeling" on RTE. Apologies for any offence. None intended.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

Reeling In The Years is better than all the other drivel but why do RTE keep showing this all the time? This along with Mrs Brown's Boys, Room To Improve and the cookery shows all get repeated whenever RTE have space to fill.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Reeling In The Years is better than all the other drivel but why do RTE keep showing this all the time? This along with Mrs Brown's Boys, Room To Improve and the cookery shows all get repeated whenever RTE have space to fill.

Cheap to make, pay a few editing guys minimum wage and hey presto hours and hours of "entertainment" you can show again and again and even make dvd's of to sell to even more gullible people. (even the music probably cost pennies to licence at this stage it's so old)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

fritzelly wrote: »
    Cheap to make, pay a few editing guys minimum wage and hey presto hours and hours of "entertainment" you can show again and again and even make dvd's of to sell to even more gullible people. (even the music probably cost pennies to licence at this stage it's so old)[/QUOTE]

They never show it on +1. I reckon they're too tight to pay the licence twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Instead of trying to make cheap programs, they should maximise the return from the most expensive costs they have. Get tubridy, duffy, d'arcy et al working 24/7, making tv shows, researching, serving food, cleaning toilets - anything. Eventually they will either die of exhaustion or not renew and go elsewhere = costs reduced!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,313 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Reeling in the years is sorta like Polyfilla at this stage-used for filling in the gaps of RTE's schedules. And there are A LOT of gaps in RTE programming.A LOT.

Their Xmas movies and TV shows were terrible, with the only new tv shows on other channels days before.

• Advertisement

Reeling in the years is sorta like Polyfilla at this stage-used for filling in the gaps of RTE's schedules. And there are A LOT of gaps in RTE programming.A LOT.

Their Xmas movies and TV shows were terrible, with the only new tv shows on other channels days before.

Harry Potter movies back to back to fill a whole afternoon. It was like they weren't even trying.

Harry Potter movies back to back to fill a whole afternoon. It was like they weren't even trying.

I was surprised they didn't show 'Fantastic Beasts', the first film. I mean, usually the 2 year mark means it's gonna air on TV.

Harry Potter. The Hobbit. And The Force Awakens. That was it.
    Those were the movies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

The thing about movies on TV is that everyone will have seen them already. I have DVDs of the films shown on TV I have an interest in this and every Christmas. Movies on TV were special before videos and DVDs as well as streaming took off. Taking The Force Awakens as an example and go back to the original Star Wars films and compare. When the originals were first shown on TV, it was to a population mostly dependent on TV. Videos were not as widespread and premiers of these and other such films were a big deal as were even 2nd and 3rd showings of them. Now, everyone interested in The Force Awakens will have already seen it a few times long before Christmas. So, the magic of showing movie premiers has now gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Its one of the best programes on RTE!

:D

Not that I even remember turning on RTE over Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭valoren

Last year they did the old back-to-back Potter marathon as well except the 6th film, the Half Blood Prince wasn't shown at all! :rolleyes:

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Its one of the best programes on RTE!

:D

Not that I even remember turning on RTE over Christmas.

It's been flogged to death,dug up and ridden hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,411 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

It's been flogged to death,dug up and ridden hard.

Fuhhrke me, that is one diamond tipped,rock hard post.

Nothing but net.

Kudos pal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Cheap to make, pay a few editing guys minimum wage and hey presto hours and hours of "entertainment" you can show again and again and even make dvd's of to sell to even more gullible people. (even the music probably cost pennies to licence at this stage it's so old)
    The likely extremely low cost of RITY is actually another reason why it`s so good - that is very, very efficient use of taxpayer money to create an Irish product using Irish staff (or staff within the Irish tax system if they happen to be migrants), and something RTE should be striving for on all fronts rather than lining the pockets of their biggest companies employees who simply do not justify what they are paid, or on just giving that same taxpayer money away to foreign companies for American or British or Aussie sitcoms and soaps.

It absolutely is completely overplayed and has been for too long, but if they were doing this more often then it wouldn`t be as there would be other productions in loop with it. Doing this on a tiny budget means making a much higher number of shows, of which you are more likely to wind up with more products of a higher quality than dreck like Fair Sh*tty.

RTE will never compare with the BBCs budget of course, but to draw a comparison for all the great shows and whatnot that they make, BBC create a bucketload of absolute crap that then gets dropped. That is how it should be, giving young and lesser known entities a chance to shine or develop (just about every famous person ever was in a lot of sh*te before `making it big`, it`s often a process of failing upwards in that industry) and the industry a chance to thrive and grow. And keeping that taxpayer money circulating within the country. And sometimes, making a nice tidy profit off a show that clicks. Top Gear when it was on BBC being a major example of this, but it can even come from the weirdest, least expected of places... if I recall, The Lyrics Board is RTEs most profitable ever show, having been licenced out to something like 26 other countries. Dont ask why, just shut up and take their money!

Anybody got the equipment for this gig,sounds lucrative.

https://www.thejournal.ie/radio-tapes-rte-4395352-Jan2019/?amp=1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Anybody got the equipment for this gig,sounds lucrative.

https://www.thejournal.ie/radio-tapes-rte-4395352-Jan2019/?amp=1

They want the successful contractor to collect the tapes that will be bar-coded and boxed in RTÉ in Donnybrook.

During the digitisation process, each tape must be converted to a WAV file.

Once this process is completed, these files must then be returned to RTÉ

WAV files? (Why not FLAC, ALAC or WMA, these are lossless compression)
    If they intend on storing on the cloud WAV is not a good selection. (I doubt very much RTE would even consider the cloud. They'd probably want a Harddrive or USB key :D:pac::)

No mention of how many hours need to be converted.

They then want the tapes back?
    Why?
    Bin them.... not needed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Because if they bin them, then there is no purpose for the guy who likely earns a very solid wage to put them in the room/shelf they are stored in. He's always done it and he doesn't want to do or tasks instead, so that's that really.

Having spent most of the last two years in the public sector, I would be about 80% certain that is the exact reason. I wish I was joking or being sarcastic.

I have to wonder if RTE's news team even give a s**t right now.

They jumped at the chance to report on this story.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/jasonleopold/trump-russia-cohen-moscow-tower-mueller-investigation?bftwnews&utm_term=4ldqpgc#4ldqpgc

Never mind that by the time they did so, at 6pm, the story had already been disproven.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DxO8_pqU0AAljGG.jpg

It's absolutely ridiculous that they don't even care anymore-no wonder folks don't trust the media.

Rte have never been known for fact checking stuff lol

Rte have never been known for fact checking stuff lol

Yeah, I doubt they'll even go back on the report either-even if Buzzfeed admitted they didn't even see the reports they article was written about.

Relying on Buzzfeed as your news source is like relying on that guy 'Bob' as your news source.

I'm eagerly awaiting the day they report a WW story, its gonna happen

I'm eagerly awaiting the day they report a WW story, its gonna happen

I'm surprised they haven't used Wikipedia at this point...

What was that town that was reported as being the 'Single Mother/ Werewolf capital of Ireland'?
    I remember it was some article on Wikipedia, and was up there for months before someone adjusted it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

The Margaret Cash stories have gone quiet

• Registered Users Posts: 12,407 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I'm surprised they haven't used Wikipedia at this point...

What was that town that was reported as being the 'Single Mother/ Werewolf capital of Ireland'?

Werewolves are more of a problem on boards. Although they do occasionally meet to devour beers

All Eyes On Rafah

https://lovin.ie/news/rt%C3%A9-new-channel

8 channels really, nope, same ****e repeated multiple times.

• Advertisement

https://lovin.ie/news/rt%C3%A9-new-channel

8 channels really, nope, same ****e repeated multiple times.

+1 channels are useful in general. Not much on RTE I'd miss not seeing though.

Advertisement