Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

kneemos wrote: »
    Tried it once,ads broke my heart. Skip forward a bit,more ads,go back more ads, accidentally switch it off,more ads to go back.

If it was one ad even,like ten seconds or something. But no,ninety seconds of freaking ads. Wouldn't touch it.

Sounds to me like they want you to watch their stuff on the box when they broadcast it so they have a right to claim the licence. Giving you a free option is doing themselves out of their few Bob. Ive never watched anything on the RTE player and won't bother by the sounds of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Sounds to me like they want you to watch their stuff on the box when they broadcast it so they have a right to claim the licence. Giving you a free option is doing themselves out of their few Bob. Ive never watched anything on the RTE player and won't bother by the sounds of it.

True enough, they should forget that internet web stuff or what ever they call it, sure it will probably never catch on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,313 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

And people wonder why folks pirate stuff...

Pretty easy to understand why, when the player is so broken. And didn't they advertise it was getting a new 'update'?
    It was just as f**ked as before, if not worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Some radical thinking required apparently,rather than more money for RTE, according to a Government official.

https://www.thejournal.ie/rte-public-funding-2-4523166-Mar2019/?amp=1

Some cliff notes:
    "RTÉ’s five-year strategy, launched last year, was dependent on “a substantial increase in funding”"

"trends such as growing international competitions, shift of advertisers to digital platforms and (an) increasing number of ‘no TV’ homes makes RTÉ’s financial position very perilous"

Company cant compete, needs more money as it cant continue its cartel.
    RTÉ got a boost in Budget 2019 when it was allocated extra funding worth €8.6 million per year.

That included €5 million from increasing the amount RTÉ was paid by the government for free TV licences issued as part of welfare packages and another €3.6 million from licence fee collections that had previously gone to TG4, which had its direct exchequer funding increased.

Actually got more money last year, (2017) to offset the gap, diverting funds from an actual public service obligation(tg4), still not enough to to pay tubs and marian.
    An RTÉ spokesman said the number of staff who had taken redundancy packages had since increased to 160. He added that the organisation “continues to carefully manage its cost base” but it had no intention to introduce forced redundancies to meet the target.

The redundancy scheme was funded with the broadcaster’s €107.5 million Donnybrook land sale to developer Cairn Homes, which was also going towards repaying debts and investing in facilities.

Nearly €30 million was set aside for the redundancies and related costs in RTÉ’s 2017 accounts.

So the land sale got 160 of the 3000+ staff off the payroll, as well as paying off debts (???) And 'investment'. Imagining the latter would be a smaller percentage of thr total figure, youre looking at crazy number for the leavers to leave. And the gist is, more than expected stayed, as it wasnt enough of an incentive to take 750k+

Still a lot of fat to be culled from there, but hey, license fee increases and shut down tg4/RnaG!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,430 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

retalivity wrote: »
    Some cliff notes:

Company cant compete, needs more money as it cant continue its cartel.

Actually got more money last year, (2017) to offset the gap, diverting funds from an actual public service obligation(tg4), still not enough to to pay tubs and marian.

So the land sale got 160 of the 3000+ staff off the payroll, as well as paying off debts (???) And 'investment'. Imagining the latter would be a smaller percentage of thr total figure, youre looking at crazy number for the leavers to leave. And the gist is, more than expected stayed, as it wasnt enough of an incentive to take 750k+

Still a lot of fat to be culled from there, but hey, license fee increases and shut down tg4/RnaG!

Could nearly lose RTE2 seeing as they don't do sports anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Just shut down RTE, make all the radio stations independent, divert all funds to TG4 and have dual audio on the channel. There's some radical thinking that makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Tried it once,ads broke my heart. Skip forward a bit,more ads,go back more ads, accidentally switch it off,more ads to go back.

If it was one ad even,like ten seconds or something. But no,ninety seconds of freaking ads. Wouldn't touch it.

The last time I tried using the "Watch Live" option on the RTE site was during the Presidential election, the video kept failing to load until I just gave up but the ad beforehand somehow managed to play perfectly every time I refreshed the page rolleyes.png

Could nearly lose RTE2 seeing as they don't do sports anymore.

It's the forgotten channel, tbh. I think I've watched TG4 more than I've watched RTE 2 in the last number of years.
    There's just no reason to tune in, most of the shows on it I can get somewhere else and not have to sit through adverts reminding you 'of all the wonderful things' the TV license fee pays for.

*Edit* Discounting the GAA-I tune in to watch the hurling or football, but that's it.

Celebrity Globetrotters...

Now, if you're like me and had no f**king clue RTE had produced this crap...because it was advertised on the Ray D'Arcy show, and nobody watches that...not even as background noise...
    It's gonna be shown on Thursday's at 8.30 (graveyard for shows, because of things like Corrie or Emmerdale) with such 'stars' as Allison Spittle, who's last show went nowhere, fast... David Norris, and Dana...

And the worst thing about that damn thing is you know it will be polyfilla for RTE for years to come, so when they have nothing to show, they'll show that crap. (For instance, when Ray D'arcy did his 'dog show'-which was only a pilot, meant to be a new series-but it sank like a dry turd-RTE kept reshowing it for months and years after, whenever they had a 'gap' in their schedules. They did similar with an Anne Doyle as quizmaster tv pilot as well).

Ugh...sorry, this was more a rant than a post.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Celebrity Globetrotters?????????? And they go to (Just Morocco). Hardly globe trotting. Or is there a sequel where they go to Libya

• Advertisement

Celebrity Globetrotters...

Now, if you're like me and had no f**king clue RTE had produced this crap...because it was advertised on the Ray D'Arcy show, and nobody watches that...not even as background noise...
    It's gonna be shown on Thursday's at 8.30 (graveyard for shows, because of things like Corrie or Emmerdale) with such 'stars' as Allison Spittle, who's last show went nowhere, fast... David Norris, and Dana...

And the worst thing about that damn thing is you know it will be polyfilla for RTE for years to come, so when they have nothing to show, they'll show that crap. (For instance, when Ray D'arcy did his 'dog show'-which was only a pilot, meant to be a new series-but it sank like a dry turd-RTE kept reshowing it for months and years after, whenever they had a 'gap' in their schedules. They did similar with an Anne Doyle as quizmaster tv pilot as well).

Ugh...sorry, this was more a rant than a post.

It's probably relatively cheap telly anyway,but I've always wondered if they get sponsored by the places they travel to?

It's probably relatively cheap telly anyway,but I've always wondered if they get sponsored by the places they travel to?

Not cheap for anyone else really-it's giving a load of folks who are probably used to someone else paying their way getting RTE to pay their way on a nice, expensive holiday.

And none of that will be a cheap B and B holiday either-they're going to be give the lap of luxury.

It's like RTE are treating their 'friends' similar to how Patreon users beg for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

“Boycott RTÉ and the tv license rally”. Just came across the below on fb. Ten out of ten to the organizers. That cesspit needs a light shone on it!!!

https://www.facebook.com/events/624989054605409/?ti=ia

Idbatterim wrote: »
    “Boycott RTÉ and the tv license rally”. Just came across the below on fb. Ten out of ten to the organizers. That cesspit needs a light shone on it!!!

****ing face****.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,287 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Idbatterim wrote:
    “Boycott RTÉ and the tv license rallyâ€. Just came across the below on fb. Ten out of ten to the organizers. That cesspit needs a light shone on it!!!

Be interesting to see how many turn up, my guess, not many

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Be interesting to see how many turn up, my guess, not many

Twenty militant lefties,two Labrdors and five Pit Bulls.

If all they have to March about is the TV License they really are bereft of ideas or purpose.
    Must be raging the water charges were dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Americanized English, hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 15,877 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

TV licence advert on the radio ended with the words "no matter what you watch or where you watch, you need a TV licence"

Totally untrue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Discodog wrote: »
    TV licence advert on the radio ended with the words "no matter what you watch or where you watch, you need a TV licence"

Totally untrue
    It wouldn't be the first time that RTE bent the truth or adjusted the narrative to suit an agenda.

I do not think there will be much of a turnout at this rally.
    RTE is not fit for purpose. Their "talent/stars" are grossly overpaid and their programming lacks any standard of quality. It is outrageous that there is a separate tax imposed on us to pay for this quango, whose only purpose recently has been to push an unsustainable New Left agenda on the populace of Ireland.

The only way to abolish the unfair TV Tax is by getting politicians involved. Remove the tax and let's see if RTE can survive on subscriptions and advertisements and other streams of revenue, which in reality they should ................. they will just have to reduce RTE salaries to realistic levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,883 ✭✭✭✭elperello

They say in their "Godwinned" Facebook piece that you need a licence if you have a computer or smart/android device.
    That's simply not true.

• Advertisement

elperello wrote: »
    They say in their "Godwinned" Facebook piece that you need a licence if you have a computer or smart/android device.
    That's simply not true.

Pretty sure they don't.

Pretty sure they don't.

"If you have a television set, computer, flat screen or a smart/android devise, you must have a TV licence."

Direct quote from their Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/events/624989054605409/

Link for clarity only. I do not endorse any content.

"If you have a television set, computer, flat screen or a smart/android devise, you must have a TV licence."

Direct quote from their Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/events/624989054605409/

Link for clarity only. I do not endorse any content.

Try again.

Try again.

What's your point?
    What I quoted is there on the FB page.

What's your point?
    What I quoted is there on the FB page.

The yellow vest March site is all I see.

The yellow vest March site is all I see.

Look under details.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Honestly RTE should just stop and so should the government with this. Some of us dont want to pay €160 for something we dont use or need and personally I wouldnt pay a TV licence.... since I dont even watch or own one! :P

And the android device thing is a total lie its a TV licence not a computer licence. Dont have to pay if you have no TV.

Look under details.

That's according to some loony Facebook site. Where does RTE say it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Twenty militant lefties,two Labrdors and five Pit Bulls.

If all they have to March about is the TV License they really are bereft of ideas or purpose.
    Must be raging the water charges were dropped.

I love this kind of comment.
    The unions and the left are to blame for entrenched workers doing nothing and they also make up them who want something for nothing and protest about taxpayer money being wasted on people like themselves :):)

Pat Rabitte tried to introduce "If you have a television set, computer, flat screen or a smart/android devise, you must have a TV licence." Not sure it's actually a thing.
    However, any apparatus that is capable of receiving broadcast content, does require a licence. Basically if you can get RTE on it, you need a licence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Idbatterim wrote: »
    “Boycott RTand the tv license rally”. Just came across the below on fb. Ten out of ten to the organizers. That cesspit needs a light shone on it!!!

what are they claiming with their (admittedly funny) fascist imagery? Are the Yellow Vest crowd an I dont want to pay for anything group or what?

Advertisement