Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,387 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

O'Leary retired with no package, Breeda O'Keefe got some form of redundancy payment.

I presume those that retire get a lump sum in RTE though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,431 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

For which house, she comes across as a " let them eat cake" individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,265 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭NSAman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭csirl

Civil servants dont get a "package' for resigning. The concept simply does not exist for them.

Tue most "tone deaf' aspect, though, is thinking it would be ok to insert confidentiality clauses. Civil service salaries are published.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Far from it. She has challenged the veracity of Martin's claims before a committee. There is now a request for Martin to answer questions in the Dail. This is serious stuff.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭yagan

So is forgetting to mention bumper finger in the air exit packages.

Regardless of what you think of the current minister the optics are bad for the rte golden circles club.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭gifted

Seems to me that Minister Martin took out the easiest target thinking that that would be the end of it.....looks like she picked the wrong person to sacrifice....fair play to Siún for biting back....she was humiliated on tv......really hope she gives an interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,467 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Yeah.... like a 'pass the parcel' game last one left holding the job got 'done'.

In my opinion NOBODY in RTE management over the years can hold their heads up given the utter swamp that was uncovered when the Tubridy issue blew up. Crazy wedges being paid to presenters for spurious reasons, others ligging for all they were worth and that wasn't a lot!!!

There was a lid of secrecy on that place for ages, Siun was the unlucky one .

• Advertisement

The comment from Ni Raghallaigh are very damaging to Martin and show that she was a hands-off minister who relied upon her staff to keep her informed rather than having meetings with Ni Raghallaigh. Martin made all these claims before the committee. There are calls for Martin to appear before the Dail to answer questions on this. It is no longer about the RTE exit packages. It is now about a minister potentially misleading an Oireachtas committee.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2024/0305/1435988-rte-martin/

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

so whos yer mawn with the windswept and interesting hairdo thats going to be the new chairman?

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

One of the "goys". Will sort out this awful mess. Though as they very informed @jmcc says Martin could be back in firing line.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Must be a new entrant for the golden circle. I am sure if enough digging is done on him you will find he is politically connected to one of FG or FF. I doubt if the Greens would be allowed put one of their own crony's in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

“The redundancy payment of nearly €400,000 to a former HSE director was signed off by Public Expenditure Minister Paschal Donohoe’s officials as “value for money for the State” after senior health executives asked for it to be approved.

The HSE also paid for a senior counsel to mediate in talks around the redundancy payment to its former director Dean Sullivan, who received nearly €400,000 after his departure.

The Department of Public Expenditure and Reform confirmed last night it signed off on the sum after submissions from HSE chief executive Bernard Gloster and Department of Health secretary general Robert Watt.

The mediation process involving a senior counsel was invoked by the HSE in the case of Mr Sullivan, a former HSE deputy director general who also oversaw strategy since he was appointed on a contract to join the organisation in 2017.

Mr Sullivan, who was not in a permanent post, was paid in the region of around €200,000. Following talks, he received a redundancy payment amounting to €388,983.

Mr Sullivan was first appointed in 2017 and was further employed as chief strategy officer from July 2022.”

Looks like a package to me

This was from last Friday 1st March 2024.

Can we once and for all dispense with the nonsense about RTE being some rogue element. These obscene payments take place in the civil service too and it appears that you reach the 2 years salary payout far quicker in the civil service……7 years in the above case

That's all meaningless in the public eye. The public are not going to side with any whiff of rte defenceness when we're being told we told we're not allowed to know what people get paid in a license funded service.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭gifted

• Registered Users Posts: 19,467 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Exactly….In my opinion there is a concerted effort from within RTE and their aide-de-camps in the national media to divert attention

away from the swamp that is the National Broadcaster.

How one ‘agent’ got so much power in the National Broadcaster is mind boggling.

If one were to get really cynical one could be forgiven for surmising that it was an organised attempt to screw John Q TAXPAYER

for everything they could get, and then put the begging bowl out.

Its difficult to look at it any other way in my opinion.

I agree with this except for maybe Aine O'Leary, think she is the part time risk manager that was the one that noticed the irregularities and called in the auditors this time last year just before this thing blew up. I'm not too sure if she got to party like the rest of them

That whole Dee Forbes management team seems to have been an nest of parasites, not sure if she appointed them all or inherited some and that is just the way things were done. The one who has really annoyed me is Brenda O'Keefe and her carry on with the exit package that she designed and then the way that she came to the committee meeting threw Collins under the bus when he inherited the mess from her and then said she wouldn't attend anymore and was sending messages to others at the meetings telling them what to say. I think if I was working anywhere near her, I'd need to wear a stab vest to stop from getting a knife in the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

When all this is finally over…..what is the outcome ?

• Broadcasting charge based on Leo’s preferred route this morning.
    • Few RTE heads gone but most well paid off
    • Politicans get their media profiles enhanced

So RTE will get their funding model enhanced ……for a fundamentally flawed service but will leave them more careful about going after politicians.

RTE and the Politicans will be the winners…..and we are the losers both financially and in terms of little reform other than cosmetic stuff.

• Advertisement

When Siun use the word "traduce" I knew the plan was to talk down to us.

It's an attempt to bog down rte deceptions in a quagmire, but the public are reminded daily that if they have a tv they are legally bound to fund unaccountability.

Those of us with long enough memories haven't forgot how Pat Kenny fought to keep his fee private knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

aye i suppose...GnTs after the canapes in the private box at landsdowne road....ex top dog in KPMG,hmm..do ye mind a fews years ago that young one in a video spouting off how her dad was top man in KPMG...?wonder same person?.....yeah bit of a yachty type look to him all right,great to know where our licence fee/tax money is going to!

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,120 ✭✭✭bigroad

If the Shinners get in we might see some proper reform of RTE.

Cant see Leo and co doing anything meaningful as some of the employees seem to have political connections .

The Media Committee extended an invitation to herself and Forbes to appear before it. Her statement has already been submitted. If she takes up the invitation and repeats this to the committee then Martin is in a lot of trouble. There seems to be an attempt to try saving Martin by FFG but Catherine Murphy/SocDems has asked for time in the Dail for Martin to answer questions. This does not appear to be having the quiet ending for which Martin hoped.

The optics for FFG are terrible on this as it seems like a nice little old lady being bullied by an incompetent and out-of-touch minister and then blamed for that minister's incompetence. Turns out that the nice little old lady is a formidable corporate politician who is causing a lot of problems for FFG and knows how to play the game of influencing the public better than them.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭csirl

None of these people are civil servants. These are people working for state agencies - much the same as RTE. As stated earlier, exit packages on resignation do not exist in the civil service. That RTE is not the only state agency doing so does not make it right.

Martin won't be answering questions in the Dáil. The government will either say no and drag this out for another few days and the Dáil breaks for St Patrick's. Martin will be delighted to get out of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

I think that sh!show could be run on one third of its current budget. It is devoid of originality and always was. And the nepotism of course has been mentioned. Whatever the latest fad is , they will go with it. Nothing screams this like their ridiculous brainstorm pieces on the RTE website. Where Ireland's fruit juice drinkers and polyamory advocates get their indulgences boosted at the license payers expense.

I always thought the nepotism was overstated until I heard an interview/report a few years ago on drive time with a WIT academic about a regional economics report. The report after that was introduced by Abie Philbin Bowman. I have seen Abie on the comedy circuit and his biggest fan is Abie Philbin Bowman.I would be astonished if he was hired on the back of his own talent. Not long before that Frank MacNamara was plugging his son on the LLS.

The whole thing needs to be stripped down to the core and there needs to be a salary cap of around 175k.

There is enough competent regional journalists to put on a type of rotation with regard to presenting programming.

Let's hope CM's political career dies the death of a thousand cuts. That will be worth the license fee for 2024 at least.

If the Dail committee says she has to answer questions then she has to answer questions. Otherwise it looks like FFG is trying to save her at the expense of democracy. And the voters will remember.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭Nermal

The Reithian approach dates from a time when people couldn't tune out, because there were literally no other options.

We have viable commercial broadcasters happy to show sport and soaps funded solely by advertising.

It's completely unjustifiable to apply a levy to the whole population to fund something the free market will pay for. The idea that we'll trick people into watching highbrow programmes through scheduling is a bit laughable, to be honest.

• Advertisement

Right now voters believe there's a golden circle running rte and yet the public is the one threatened constantly with prosecution via rte ads for not funding the gravy train.

Siun may feel she's in the right, but in an arrangement that's not transparent.

Plus she's wasn't sacked, she flounced and this "traduce" fightback projects only privileged arrogance, a harder more entrenched tubridy tantrum.

Advertisement