Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Caspian Petite Corner

kneemos wrote: »
    2FM plays generic noise available on literally a million other stations,serves no public service whatsoever.
    RTE2 used to be good for sports but they don't do that much anymore. What they have left could be accommodated on RTE1 or TnaG.

2FM loses millions hand over fist I might add.

and if you want to see big bang theory, simpsons, friends, theyre on e4/sky/comedy central etc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

pay cuts aren't going to happen. whether you like it or not some of the big names are getting what they are likely worth.

Not even you can believe this. Marian Finnucane getting a kings ransom for a couple of hours on a Saturday morning. Joe Duffy getting 300k plus for a couple of hours every day.
    The pay scales for the "talent" in RTE are off the charts and are nowhere near in touch with reality.
    Here's an idea for Dee...Instead of coming to us mugs for more money, how about bringing the salaries of your staff in to the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,313 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Shows how far Rte 2 has fallen...they put the Ellen Show on RTE 2 now, at 5pm. They don't care what's on it.

At least they axed Podge and Rodge-a show nobody asked for. But I doubt they're done with Doireann Garrihy. They're airing her 'Doireann project' which will probably get repeated so damn often, and then RTE will probably either jam her into that Holiday program where they send presenters on holiday on your dime.

You remember those not all that old adverts talking about 'Tom and Gerry scammed the insurance company, and the funny part is...you paid for it'.

Meanwhile in the last couple of weeks, RTE have sent travellers/ their pals on free holidays, and shoved it in your face, made you watch it....and you paid for it...
    So scamming insurance companies is wrong...but not this? And if you don't pay the license, and own a tv...they put you in prison.

That's...something...which would get me banned from boards if I said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Hey Podge and Rodge wasn't bad

fritzelly wrote: »
    Hey Podge and Rodge wasn't bad

Wasn't good either... ;)

I'm talking about the show with Doireann Garrihy, btw-that 'one season' return that RTE was advertising for weeks before it aired. It died a death, and RTE just announced it's been axed.

• Advertisement

Totally missed the last series (that whole I don't watch RTE thingy), checked an episode on youtube (god help me it was one with your Kavanagh eejit on it) and yeah your woman is dire but P&R were still entertaining enough if a bit more toned down

• Registered Users Posts: 29,072 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

mfceiling wrote: »
    Not even you can believe this. Marian Finnucane getting a kings ransom for a couple of hours on a Saturday morning. Joe Duffy getting 300k plus for a couple of hours every day.
    The pay scales for the "talent" in RTE are off the charts and are nowhere near in touch with reality.
    Here's an idea for Dee...Instead of coming to us mugs for more money, how about bringing the salaries of your staff in to the real world.

i can believe it and do believe it. whether i like or rate those particular individuals or not, or the pay scales or not, i am happy to trust that rte will have likely gone through whatever relevant data in terms of the market that they may require, and will then take all relevant factors into account before deciding their salaries. therefore their salaries are in touch with reality and are in the real world regardless of my personal opinion.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Totally missed the last series (that whole I don't watch RTE thingy), checked an episode on youtube (god help me it was one with your Kavanagh eejit on it) and yeah your woman is dire but P&R were still entertaining enough if a bit more toned down

I avoided it...I couldn't even sit through the adverts for it.

Yeah, Doireann is tragically bad-and she also thinks she can do comedy. No, no she can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,072 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Shows how far Rte 2 has fallen...they put the Ellen Show on RTE 2 now, at 5pm. They don't care what's on it.

At least they axed Podge and Rodge-a show nobody asked for. But I doubt they're done with Doireann Garrihy. They're airing her 'Doireann project' which will probably get repeated so damn often, and then RTE will probably either jam her into that Holiday program where they send presenters on holiday on your dime.

You remember those not all that old adverts talking about 'Tom and Gerry scammed the insurance company, and the funny part is...you paid for it'.

Meanwhile in the last couple of weeks, RTE have sent travellers/ their pals on free holidays, and shoved it in your face, made you watch it....and you paid for it...
    So scamming insurance companies is wrong...but not this? And if you don't pay the license, and own a tv...they put you in prison.

That's...something...which would get me banned from boards if I said it.

it's the courts and the law that put you in prison for not having a tv licence, not rte. rte don't make the laws, the politicians do. enough people need to lobby for that to be changed but for whatever reason that isn't happening. nobody should be going to prison for not having a tv licence.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,883 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Just a small but important clarification.
    You do not get put in prison for not having a licence for your TV.
    You may be brought to court and fined.
    If you do not pay the fine then you may get a prison sentence.

• Advertisement

I avoided it...I couldn't even sit through the adverts for it.

Yeah, Doireann is tragically bad-and she also thinks she can do comedy. No, no she can't.

She’s doing podcasts now and godfather Iano is helping her get guests ...
    What is it with talentless people getting opportunity after opportunity in rte

i can believe it and do believe it. whether i like or rate those particular individuals or not, or the pay scales or not, i am happy to trust that rte will have likely gone through whatever relevant data in terms of the market that they may require, and will then take all relevant factors into account before deciding their salaries. therefore their salaries are in touch with reality and are in the real world regardless of my personal opinion.

They are paying wages based on the UK population - that is always the excuse they use for outrageous wages that they would go over there (ermm Mr Byrne, Tubs)
    Joe Duffy gets less than 400k listeners - what is that 10-15% of the population and yet gets a ridiculous wage just to listen to people and put down anyone he doesn't like - a monkey could do the same job

• Registered Users Posts: 33,498 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

She’s doing podcasts now and godfather Iano is helping her get guests ...
    What is it with talentless people getting opportunity after opportunity in rte

Jennifer Maguire is the new RTE superstar.

Got her own radio show now, likely based on the fact she was on DWTS and so she deserves to be hoisted on to a pedestal cos she's super talented.

She's set for life now. Like the rest of them, eg Lottie Ryan, an absolute vacuum of talent who got to be an RTE DJ because of her Da.
    Does the licence fee paying public get any say in how gets the high paying jobs for life? Do we %&*^

Some info. here on BBC salaries.
    You will find some are much higher than RTE.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-44779292

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

elperello wrote: »

Some

NIMAN wrote: »
    Jennifer Maguire is the new RTE superstar.

Got her own radio show now, likely based on the fact she was on DWTS and so she deserves to be hoisted on to a pedestal cos she's super talented.

She's set for life now. Like the rest of them.
    Her shows ratings went down (Dancing and Bridget and Eamon) ... but sure they’ll give her another chance like Doireann/ Lottie /Bernard o Shea/ huberman

Of course they are higher than RTe's, they are a bigger market.

Graham Norton might get a few million, but he's interviewing the worlds top actors, musicians, sports stars etc, and providing a very entertaining show every week.

Ray D'arcy is getting half a million for interviewing RTE canteen frequenters like weather staff, Fair city actors, people on Operation Transformation etc, and doing it in a mind numbing weekly show heavy on misery.

There's no comparison. If Darcy gets 500k, Norton should be getting 20mill.

Edit: just read that Norton is on £699k! Not that much more than Darcy

Obviously! With a potential viewership/listenership 20 times that of Ireland and here's the kicker if you're really good advertisers pay more to buy a slot.
    Graham Norton case in point, paid about 1 million, gets all the A listers and knows damn well they are making the money from the adverts.

lol Niman

PCeeeee wrote: »
    Some

Yes, just for instance, three, not the highest earners.

Andrew Marr
    Stephen Nolan
    Nick Grimshaw

all on c. £400k.

• Advertisement

Obviously! With a potential viewership/listenership 20 times that of Ireland and here's the kicker if you're really good advertisers pay more to buy a slot.
    Graham Norton case in point, paid about 1 million, gets all the A listers and knows damn well they are making the money from the adverts.

No ads on BBC.

No ads on BBC.

There is on their worldwide services.

And perhaps on iPlayer too when not in UK.

Her shows ratings went down (Dancing and Bridget and Eamon) ... but sure they’ll give her another chance like Doireann/ Lottie /Bernard o Shea/ huberman

Jaysus...all the people doing podcasts in this coutnry...it's crazy.

Alison Spittle, Jarlath Regan, Roisin Ingle (think her name is), that wan that tried to get George Hook fired but lost her job instead, The 'didn't report my rapist and still wouldn't woman, Des Bishop, Eamon Dunphy...

God almighty, there's bloody tons of em... all interviewing one another. It's like RTE again, but no license fees-patreon's instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,962 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It's 11 years since the licence fee was increased (from €158 to €160 in 2008). There are about one million licences.

In the UK there are well over 20 million licences, and they get regular increases. It is going up to £154.50 (€181) on April 1 2019. The BBC can afford to do a lot more than RTE, and pay their staff more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

NIMAN wrote: »
    Of course they are higher than RTe's, they are a bigger market.

Graham Norton might get a few million, but he's interviewing the worlds top actors, musicians, sports stars etc, and providing a very entertaining show every week.

Ray D'arcy is getting half a million for interviewing RTE canteen frequenters like weather staff, Fair city actors, people on Operation Transformation etc, and doing it in a mind numbing weekly show heavy on misery.

There's no comparison. If Darcy gets 500k, Norton should be getting 20mill.

Edit: just read that Norton is on £699k! Not that much more than Darcy

For sure! No comparison, IMO, in terms of entertainment and professionalism. Absolutely none.

I think I read somewhere that the TV show that darcy does is being axed. (I can't watch it, I think he is excruciatingly bad).

Surely his salary should be reduced accordingly. I know that won't happen. Not in RTE cloud cuckoo land. :rolleyes:

No ads on BBC.

True but as a proportion of the licence fee the salary is tiny and they still sell it overseas

SirChenjin wrote: »
    For sure! No comparison, IMO, in terms of entertainment and professionalism. Absolutely none.

I think I read somewhere that the TV show that darcy does is being axed. (I can't watch it, I think he is excruciatingly bad).

Surely his salary should be reduced accordingly. I know that won't happen. Not in RTE cloud cuckoo land. :rolleyes:

It’s finishing up early but it’s only rumors it’s being axed .... but why do they need 2 ‘light entertainment ‘ chat shows.... it’s hardly like we’re over loaded with interesting celebrities...

It's 11 years since the licence fee was increased (from €158 to €160 in 2008). There are about one million licences.

In the UK there are well over 20 million licences, and they get regular increases. It is going up to £154.50 (€181) on April 1 2019. The BBC can afford to do a lot more than RTE, and pay their staff more.

Agreed, the BBC obviously can pay more and as my link shows they do.
    People I never heard of on big money.

Has anyone done a calculation on how much cutting the big RTE salaries by say a half would affect the bottom line?

I suspect not very much.

Would you end up with a lot of nondescript presenters and they would lose even more listeners?

D'Arcy is a travesty, all he does on the radio is read stuff from the newspaper then ask people to text in what they think, again a monkey could do that

• Advertisement

Jaysus...all the people doing podcasts in this coutnry...it's crazy.

Alison Spittle, Jarlath Regan, Roisin Ingle (think her name is), that wan that tried to get George Hook fired but lost her job instead, The 'didn't report my rapist and still wouldn't woman, Des Bishop, Eamon Dunphy...

God almighty, there's bloody tons of em... all interviewing one another. It's like RTE again, but no license fees-patreon's instead.

Most of them will lose interest fairly quickly and try someutung else like Rosemary McCabe , who will give up and try another venture which will probably fail (Gave up a good journalist job to become blogger/influencer/gym staff/professionally offended) ...least rte has the common decenty and not go near her

Advertisement