Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭arctictree

Can someone please remind me why the need for an 'exit package'? If they are being let go, then just pay redundancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

said it a few times before,nothing has changed in rte nor will it change,its almost like they're saying "we've got our money and we'll pish it away as fast as we can because we're worth it" €400.000..?? for what..?exit package…? ffs ask me bollix…

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,448 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

We will be told there's nothing that can be done about it, its in their contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭RoTelly

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

RTÉ won't change, it can't change, it will not change, there is no change …. expect for a few hundred thou for incompetence.

It was going so well for the new chair of the board. He'd been welcomed to the chamber, to a small number of members (no SF, no Labour, no SDs), I think one Labour person asked about access to services but this was largely answered by "we'll let you know" (she arrive to ask, she left when she wasn't answered).

One of the TDs said it must be great to see so few people. the public stand had one on looker (who will remain anon) a person involved in access for disabled people, an RnaG reporter and 2 interns, far from the gaggle of journalist, and few photographers out waiting for them to exit.

He then preceded to do as his predecessor did and ask for more funding, nothing new, nothing original.

The members open with their usual "RTÉ NEWS is fantastic, wasn't the election coverage great!" and softballs "did you ever think you shouldn't take the job?"

Mattie McGrath rambled and actually was kind of saying something, something that irritated the Chair, he was fuming, he is very like his DG. He defended RTÉ to the hilt, no falling on your sword. Mattie had made a mistake in his figures and RTÉ really lambasted him for suggesting €50m. Behind it all they were say you "Thick Ignorant culchie you don't understand". He He asked how is it that RTÉ aren't being prosecuted for the problems with staffing and contractors and that any small business would be up in court.

KPMG alumni was confused, tax law is so confusing, it happens in every company. The legislation is confusing. He even attacked the government and legislators for making it so confusing. KPMG and accountants find tax law as confusing as the next person. FFS.

On the large payments to executives again he blames legislation, it is so hard to get fired from your position in any company, much like Kevin Bee, just look at other semi-state bodies and their exit payments (as if they are the gold standard). No questions about if the people fired were fired due to "Gross misconduct" which would entitle them to nothing.

Of course we know "Gross misconduct" might be run through the WRC… let them? do any of the former executives really want a long drawn out show down in the WRC showing their failures potential receiving nothing? You'd think the many reports that Mr. O'Rourke placed in front of him would allude someway to the mismanagement of the company, surely the lawyers and HR staff could point to those rather than the get out of jail card "we really don't understand HR law, better just to pay them off in the long run".

After Mattie, the more clean cut politicians got to work. Nothing really landed (a few questions about how often people meet and are they getting too much information) until questions about exit payments. Oh! **** now we have a headline, and who might be in line to get this payment? again back to the same old line "We really can't say", and one final question "is it someone who hasn't appeared before us?" …. well "I've said too much".

What we have from RTÉ is simply "Governance good and our service fantastic, content super".

They want no criticism, they will not countenance being criticise by anyone. Simply put all criticism of RTÉ is "Bullshit, bullshit, bullshit" and that is the view from the leadership and the board.

Now away with ye and be happy we have such a fantastic public service broadcaster…. now if only we could get the BBC Player!

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

RoTelly you put it far better then i could,that id say is exactly how they think in rte

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

Also the one thing that really got me was the use of the TLA, ILT. I was trying to figure that one out, I mean they said it a few times as if we'd all knew what they were talking about. I will let yet guess, took me a minute, then I realised how up their own holes they really are.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭RunningFlyer

Could it be that this unnamed person eligible for this exit package may be Forbes?? Heard on radio that the Minister has been aware of this potential payout for past few months…

Forbes had left the organisation.

She was due to step down and was finishing with her holidays, she'd had a going away part.

Board attempted to fire her but then suspended her and then she resigned which the board accepted.

It's most likely to be Jimbo Lemmings

Jimbo went out sick (he had an operation at one point afaik, but never returned to work).

Last Oireachtas committee Kevin Bakhurst said he was still being paid while on sick leave (question there tbh) and he reiterated that Jimbo wouldn't be returning to the Leadership team or as Director of Content on his return.

BTW a good journalist would look through past emails can dig out Jimbo work mobile and see who answers, I am guessing it won't be answered.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 9,103 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What is Catherine Martin doing about RTE? Does anyone know? Does Harris know? I feel they will stay silent on RTE and license fees until the election in October.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement

Nothing the view is : -

1. If only RTÉ had a better method of funding

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭DenMan

When is the Dail entering its summer recess does anybody know?

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭saabsaab

• Registered Users Posts: 18,552 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I'd like to see the Ts and C's of that contract. If it is one of the people who are currently on sick leave you'd wonder what the terms of the sick leave are. Are they getting statutory sick pay or have they a specific sick leave benefit in RTE? If so have they used that up no and are they on statutory?

In relation to the mooted 400k package, there would have to be serious questions around the Ts and C's associated with it and whether the position is being made redundant.

As far as I can see there's absolutely NO efforts been made to clean up the situation there, if anything the attitude has gotten worse

If it is Jimbo it is been split in two Content Video and Content Audio

______

Yesterday

Hopefully soon, but I am not sure they are aware of it :)

But on RTÉ's usual recess, Today went off the air last week, and from what I can see the Two drive time presenters are an the alternate presenting roles for the summer. I expect that RTÉ NEWS will break early in July, Fair City's new holiday is starting in July also.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Thank the Lord for that RTee

I mean wasn’t the ‘funniest man on air’ trying to get McInerney to sing on air today.

They don’t come much stupider than that , one would suggest ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭Karppi

Ah, Sarah McInerney is one of the better ones on RTE. I bet she's a great singer, too.

That's fine but why do they need two presenters ? and why do the alternate during the summer months?

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

When we get the best of the Today show on RTE 1.

Due to cuts the best of Today will now be merged with Pat Short on the Telly

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 10,941 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

What's the story there - has he been genuinely seriously sick and quite unable to help the various committees? Poor man must be very ill indeed?

Catherine Martin - what a waste of a ministry. Utterly ineffective at everything except handing out the few bob to her artiste community.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭Karppi

Frankly, they don’t. And I’ve no idea why they alternate in summer. It’s unnecessary, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Last I hear, she had commissioned a report about a report.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,622 ✭✭✭Floppybits

She is just biding her time till the election is called and then she will hand over the whole sh1tshow to someone else, who will then do the same and things will just carry on normal.

Memo to staff from Kevin Bee: -

Finally, you may have noticed some coverage of yesterday's Joint Oireachtas Committee hearing which was attended by the Chair of the Board of RTÉ, Terence O'Rourke along with Company Secretary, Robert Shortt, Board member, Aideen Howard and RTÉ's HR Director, Eimear Cusack. While we are not in a position to provide additional comment while the process referred to yesterday by the Chair has not concluded, I can say that any settlement payments agreed by RTÉ will be in line with RTÉ's legal obligations, individual employment rights and in line with Comptroller and Auditor General Guidelines. I will provide more context at the next DG Town Hall in the coming weeks.

I foresee Kevin Bee and Terence O'Rourke exiting the company within the next 2 years. I don't think they have a grasp of the situation. The apology from TOR means little.

Posted on twitter/X by @ williamhboney1 (Martin McMahon)

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Household media charge… any ideas about how to avoid this?

I dont have a TV.

• Advertisement

Don't worry it will apply to mobile phones broadband electricity etc.

Advertisement