Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

It did happen and I remember it.

elperello wrote: »
    https://verdictsays.wordpress.com/2010/06/18/24/

This might help to shed some light on Shearer's interview.

So no evidence at all in any way shape or form - in this, the age of the internet - that this happened;

Shearer: So tell me, did you like apartheid?

Black South African man: (shocked-incredulous) I can't believe you would ask me that.

Do you know why? Because it didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

So no evidence at all in any way shape or form - in this, the age of the internet - that this happened;

I remember seeing this at the time. Shearer was out doing a roving reporter style piece on South Africa in an uncomfortable, Alan Partridge-style.

Why are you so concerned about this and demanding evidence??

Here's a few tweets from the moment it happened if they help:
    https://twitter.com/yogiofficial/status/16416594522
    https://twitter.com/loza316/status/16416246031

From these we can deduce that it happened around 9:30pm on 17 June 2010.

I remember seeing this at the time. Shearer was out doing a roving reporter style piece on South Africa in an uncomfortable, Alan Partridge-style.

Why are you so concerned about this and demanding evidence??

Here's a few tweets from the moment it happened if they help:
    https://twitter.com/yogiofficial/status/16416594522
    https://twitter.com/loza316/status/16416246031

From these we can deduce that it happened around 9:30pm on 17 June 2010.
    The poster was using the above quote as evidence of Tubridy’s worth when compared to the admittedly useless Shearer.

The quote of “did you like apartheid” did not happen. I would have liked to have seen it for the laugh if it did. Shearer is nearly as big a d1ckhead as Tubridy.

As such, the poster made up a quote to illustrate and validate their point.

Mildly disappointed that it didn’t happen. Also, I wasn’t aware that it’s okay to make up quotes to back up points being made.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭Underground

Just saw there that Marty Morrissey has been given his own show (with Bernard O'Shea) in which he will be pampered with botox and facials all paid for with the taxpayer's dime under the guise of entertainment.

Grand work if you can get it, in fairness to him.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Just saw there that Marty Morrissey has been given his own show (with Bernard O'Shea) in which he will be pampered with botox and facials all paid for with the taxpayer's dime under the guise of entertainment.

Grand work if you can get it, in fairness to him.

I believe they also do the show from all around the world, because you know, Irish heritage and that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,653 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

In fairness to Shearer, he is a main analyst on Match of the Day that has ratings of over 10 million weekly viewers. So Alan maybe crap at his job, but his job involves much much bigger numbers.

That is changing the goalposts massively. I think the poster in question (who initially claimed that Shearer is of more worth than Tubridy) just has a strong anti-RTE bias. There are plenty of things the BBC do badly as well like the example you give above.
    But to give Shearer a 'get out' because he has more viewers to paraphrase the OP is laughable. He is bad at this job and the BBC could do better he is only one example. The BBC also have a large amount of bias in thier coverage as well.

I think RTE do serve a function as they are the state broadcaster. But thier output is heavily weighted towards politics. My brother lives in England said this is one of the main differences between the Irish media and the British media.
    RTE also do a lot of sports, not all sports get the same coverage due to internal bias of the station though.
    They also cover the 'arts/culture'. I am not into that type of stuff myself but I can see why it is important in the larger picture.
    Programmes such as Nationwide maybe not everyone's thing (including my own) but overtime it builds up as an important historical archive.
    RTE is a treasure trove of such information they have built up since its foundation.

There are problems to RTE no doubt, nepotism, cultural bias, and use of funds (I think TG4 make better use of thier funds)
    If there was no RTE all the stations would be similar to Virgin-Media with its mainly shock jock presenting style and reality TV re-runs from foreign lands, or just general fluff.
    Judge Judy, the Chase, Expose, Elaine, Coronation Steet, Emerdale (I looked up the listings)

I can remember one major occasion when RTE was badly caught out and put in an extremely awkward position, thier reporting standards were not up to thier usual level.
    It was when Gerry Ryan died. The editors were obviously in a spin and did not know which angle to take on it. It was left to other stations to honestly report it.
    Besides this unusual situation I think RTE report as honestly as they can.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

The poster was using the above quote as evidence of Tubridy’s worth when compared to the admittedly useless Shearer.

The quote of “did you like apartheid” did not happen. I would have liked to have seen it for the laugh if it did. Shearer is nearly as big a d1ckhead as Tubridy.

As such, the poster made up a quote to illustrate and validate their point.

Mildly disappointed that it didn’t happen. Also, I wasn’t aware that it’s okay to make up quotes to back up points being made.

You are basically calling me a liar, it DID happen.
    You seem to be digging a deeper hole for yourself as your argument falls apart.
    I told you to email the BBC for the video if you are that interested.

First I did not find evidence of the interview.

(You said it did not happen)

Then I found the website in question which proved the interview happened, but there was no video link.

(You STILL said it did not happen) :eek:

Then another poster found evidence of the interview in a blog - which quoted snippets of the said interview.

(Now you say that exact quote did not happen) :eek:

Another poster gave you evidence of some tweets relating to interview.

(You still maintain what I said did not happen
    even though the obvious tenant of interview quotes are in line with what I said
    - you STILL wanted the exact quote - or it never must never have happened according to you - some logic)
    :eek:

I do not really know what your problem is with me?
    Or is it because you just do not like losing an argument, and looking at bit of a fool?
    Since you were so aggressive initially you cannot back track now, as you would loose face and it would damage your ego?
    It has made you lose all credibility in this discussion.

I think you are typical of the type of individual who is completely anti-RTE, you are right, everyone else is wrong etc.
    There is no other viewpoint as far as you are concerned.

It must completely sicken you that some of the drivel you have spouted on this thread has been called out, and found out?

That organisations such as the BBC despite thier vastly superior levels of funding than RTE come out with disastrous television as well as good television?

Alan Shearer interviewing people in Capetown was not just bad television, it was the worst television I had ever seen (still to this day) which is why it was so memorable all produced by the BBC! In the guise of 'serious journalism' :D

Alan Shearer, a person who you still stubbornly claim is of more worth than Ryan Tubridy.
    Even in light of the evidence brought before you.
    You continue to be willfully blind, as a direct consequence of your myopic view about RTE.

If I got Alan Shearer himself to call you - I think you would claim I put him up to it? :D:D:D

There were other claims you made that I debunked, but so as not to confuse you I will stick to the Shearer/BBC aspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr_serious2

That is changing the goalposts massively. I think the poster in question (who initially claimed that Shearer is of more worth than Tubridy) just has a strong anti-RTE bias. There are plenty of things the BBC do badly as well like the example you give above.
    But to give Shearer a 'get out' because he has more viewers to paraphrase the OP is laughable. He is bad at this job and the BBC could do better he is only one example. The BBC also have a large amount of bias in thier coverage as well.

I think RTE do serve a function as they are the state broadcaster. But thier output is heavily weighted towards politics. My brother lives in England said this is one of the main differences between the Irish media and the British media.
    RTE also do a lot of sports, not all sports get the same coverage due to internal bias of the station though.
    They also cover the 'arts/culture'. I am not into that type of stuff myself but I can see why it is important in the larger picture.
    Programmes such as Nationwide maybe not everyone's thing (including my own) but overtime it builds up as an important historical archive.
    RTE is a treasure trove of such information they have built up since its foundation.

There are problems to RTE no doubt, nepotism, cultural bias, and use of funds (I think TG4 make better use of thier funds)
    If there was no RTE all the stations would be similar to Virgin-Media with its mainly shock jock presenting style and reality TV re-runs from foreign lands, or just general fluff.
    Judge Judy, the Chase, Expose, Elaine, Coronation Steet, Emerdale (I looked up the listings)

I can remember one major occasion when RTE was badly caught out and put in an extremely awkward position, thier reporting standards were not up to thier usual level.
    It was when Gerry Ryan died. The editors were obviously in a spin and did not know which angle to take on it. It was left to other stations to honestly report it.
    Besides this unusual situation I think RTE report as honestly as they can.

There is a place for RTE1, Radio 1, one orchestra, tg4 and rnag. 2fm and network 2 should be disbanded straight away.

This scaled down RTE should put a cap of 200,000 or so (still very generous) on all salaries and commit that 90% of its output will be Irish. This should be manageable, its network 2 who play most of the American rubbish.

I think people accept that that a publicly funded broadcaster can be a good thing when it doesn't totally lose the run of itself like RTE has.

There is a place for RTE1, Radio 1, one orchestra, tg4 and rnag. 2fm and network 2 should be disbanded straight away.

This scaled down RTE should put a cap of 200,000 or so (still very generous) on all salaries and commit that 90% of its output will be Irish. This should be manageable, its network 2 who play most of the American rubbish.

I think people accept that that a publicly funded broadcaster can be a good thing when it doesn't totally lose the run of itself like RTE has.

Fair points.
    I 100% agree with you on 2fm/network 2.
    They just seem to be there for the sake of it almost.
    I think 2FM especially has lost its way neither edgy/mainstream they cannot seem to be able to decide who thier target market is?
    Personally I can't stick 2FM at all and find the station impossible to listen to music/extremely annoying DJ's rambling on about nothing.

Network 2/RTE 2 was always predominately aimed at younger viewers and filled with fluff.
    They do show sport on the channel but besides this, it seems like filler for the most part.
    In the age of TV players on the internet Network 2/RTE 2 would be better served as a solely online platform.
    As that is the way most youngsters get thier media these days anyway.

I can't argue with your point about capping salaries at €200k that is more than enough for anyone and it is at CEO levels.
    I don't really buy the argument some have, that it will result in a talent drain and all the 'stars' will go elsewhere.
    Some might, but they will be replaced by younger/hungrier individuals with a bit of go in them.They will become the new 'stars'
    In a roundabout way it could revitalise the station while saving money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭valoren

Conflating Shearer's worth with Tubridy is a misnomer.

Shearer is regarded as one of English football's all time greats.
    What does Shearer do? Comment on and pass opinion on PL and England Football matches.

He is the top scorer in PL history and a former England captain and he is more than qualified to do what he's paid handsomely to do. I guess it's credentials such as those which give him a value. That gives their opinions some authority. The BBC can justify his pay by simply pointing to his career and achievements. The same argument applies to Gary Lineker.

The punditry in the BBC is asinine and banal and Shearer is a perfect fit for that i.e. the winning team kicked the ball into the goal more times than the other team Gary. He was groomed to be Alan Hansen's long term replacement. Safe, predictable and well regarded. He get's well paid for the work he does and I'm sure plenty of people quibble about that too. The difference between Tubridy and Shearer being Shearer has tip top credentials to at least justify some of his pay.

• Advertisement

You are basically calling me a liar, it DID happen.
    You seem to be digging a deeper hole for yourself as your argument falls apart.
    I told you to email the BBC for the video if you are that interested.

First I did not find evidence of the interview.

(You said it did not happen)

Then I found the website in question which proved the interview happened, but there was no video link.

(You STILL said it did not happen) :eek:

Then another poster found evidence of the interview in a blog - which quoted snippets of the said interview.

(Now you say that exact quote did not happen) :eek:

Another poster gave you evidence of some tweets relating to interview.

(You still maintain what I said did not happen
    even though the obvious tenant of interview quotes are in line with what I said
    - you STILL wanted the exact quote - or it never must never have happened according to you - some logic)
    :eek:

I do not really know what your problem is with me?
    Or is it because you just do not like losing an argument, and looking at bit of a fool?
    Since you were so aggressive initially you cannot back track now, as you would loose face and it would damage your ego?
    It has made you lose all credibility in this discussion.

I think you are typical of the type of individual who is completely anti-RTE, you are right, everyone else is wrong etc.
    There is no other viewpoint as far as you are concerned.

It must completely sicken you that some of the drivel you have spouted on this thread has been called out, and found out?

That organisations such as the BBC despite thier vastly superior levels of funding than RTE come out with disastrous television as well as good television?

Alan Shearer interviewing people in Capetown was not just bad television, it was the worst television I had ever seen (still to this day) which is why it was so memorable all produced by the BBC! In the guise of 'serious journalism' :D

Alan Shearer, a person who you still stubbornly claim is of more worth than Ryan Tubridy.
    Even in light of the evidence brought before you.
    You continue to be willfully blind, as a direct consequence of your myopic view about RTE.

If I got Alan Shearer himself to call you - I think you would claim I put him up to it? :D:D:D

There were other claims you made that I debunked, but so as not to confuse you I will stick to the Shearer/BBC aspect.
    I think you've gotten lost in your own self-importance here.

I would have like to see Shearer ask the question as phrased by you,
    Shearer: So tell me, did you like apartheid?

Black South African man: (shocked-incredulous) I can't believe you would ask me that.

That seemed ridiculous to me, hence I asked you for a link to evidence of same.

Sadly the quote never happened and so you made it up to further your trivial argument about whether one poor broadcaster is better than another.

As for my other "claims" that you "debunked"!! Huh! Are you okay there? I have no idea what you're flapping your gums about.

Please point that out for me and also the "drivel" I have "spouted"? I think you may have imagined it.

Go for a lie down. It won't seem as serious afterwards.

Sadly the quote never happened and so you made it up to further your trivial argument about whether one poor broadcaster is better than another.

As for my other "claims" that you "debunked"!! Huh! Are you okay there? I have no idea what you're flapping your gums about.

Please point that out for me and also the "drivel" I have "spouted"? I think you may have imagined it.

"I think you've gotten lost in your own self-importance here." That line was almost as funny as anything Alan Shearer has come up with.

The words 'kettle' and 'pot black' spring to mind.

You are just not man enough to admit that your overly aggressive posting style has caught you out on this occasion.
    Fair enough if your ego is that big I will let you stew in it.
    There is no talking to individuals like yourself.
    Of course I imagine everything according to you etc etc.
    You claimed the interview never happened - but it did.
    Now you focus on the quote.
    You are basically questioning my integrity and calling me a liar in order to further your own ego, and not the discussion as you claim.

It was you who claimed that Alan Shearer was worth more than Tubridy I have given a clear solid example of why he is not, in my view.
    You on the other hand have given nothing but misdirection when caught out in a stupid comment backed up by nothing for all your pomposity.

Have you given any example to me why Shearer is worth more than Tubridy?
    No
    So you are just one of these people with all bluster and misdirection.

I

"I think you've gotten lost in your own self-importance here."

The words 'kettle' and 'pot black' spring to mind.
    You are just not man enough to admit that your overly aggressive posting style has caught you out on this occasion.
    Fair enough if your ego is that big I will let you stew in it.
    There is no talking to individuals like yourself.
    Of course I imagine everything according to you etc etc.
    I get the feeling you’ve confused me with another poster. Go back over the exchange again (if you can be bothered). There were no “claims” made by me to “debunk” or “drivel” “spouted”.

Deep breaths there. It’s not that important who’s better. Tubridy or Shearer?

......it’s Shearer......

I
    I get the feeling you’ve confused me with another poster. Go back over the exchange again (if you can be bothered). There were no “claims” made by me to “debunk” or “drivel” “spouted”.

......it’s Shearer......

Ok I think another poster said something about Tubridy not being known in England that was not you.
    But it was definitely you who claimed that Shearer was worth more than Tubridy in a broadcasting sense.

It's Shearer is all you can come up now? :D

I would surmise that even Tubridy would have a better celebration than Shearer's if he did play professional soccer.
    Have you seen Tubridy's flexibility on the toy show?

I think it a bit unfair that RTE gets a going over by people - assuming it is no good end of story - Shearer is worth more than Tubridy etc.

'It's Shearer' is not a good point - it is the complete opposite and it just shows how much money the BBC can afford to waste.
    He can barely even analysis a game to any decent standard, has zero personality and insight.

RTE are not superb and could improve in many ways - but I can understand why Dee Forbes is whinging because RTE do not have much funds to work with compared to the likes of the BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,890 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I pay my license but having seen the trailer for Marty and Bernard's Big Adventure I'm tempted to sell my TV altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

loyatemu wrote: »
    I pay my license but having seen the trailer for Marty and Bernard's Big Adventure I'm tempted to sell my TV altogether.

Maybe my mind is too corrupted. But reading a poster above say that Marty M was getting facials with Bernard O Shea gave me a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Marty and Bernard show should be on at teatime or daytime, or not even produced at all.
    It however should be nowhere near 9.30pm on a Sunday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,430 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

iseegirls wrote: »
    Marty and Bernard show should be on at teatime or daytime, or not even produced at all.

They have no clue about scheduling. Most of their new shows are aired around ten thirty or eleven.

I

......it’s Shearer......

Ok I think another poster said something about Tubridy not being known in England that was not you.
    But it was definitely you who claimed that Shearer was worth more than Tubridy in a broadcasting sense.

It's Shearer is all you can come up now? :D

I would surmise that even Tubridy would have a better celebration than Shearer's if he did play professional soccer.
    Have you seen Tubridy's flexibility on the toy show?

I think it a bit unfair that RTE gets a going over by people - assuming it is no good end of story - Shearer is worth more than Tubridy etc.

'It's Shearer' is not a good point - it is the complete opposite and it just shows how much money the BBC can afford to waste.
    He can barely even analysis a game to any decent standard, has zero personality and insight.

RTE are not superb and could improve in many ways - but I can understand why Dee Forbes is whinging because RTE do not have much funds to work with compared to the likes of the BBC.
    Re-read my comments. I think Shearer is terrible too. Which one is worse couldn’t be more unimportant though. They’re not really comparable in terms of their duties.

I freely admit I despise RTE and the likes of Tubridy. Leeches.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I just heard Marty on the radio with Darcy. Apparently one of the highlights of that show is Marty getting his nasal hair done. I never thought I'd say it but "Come back Dermot Bannon. All is forgiven.".

Meanwhile, here's tonight's joyful offering from the LLS
    Last year, Liverpool fan Sean Cox was assaulted before a Champions League fixture at Anfield, and has since been on the long road to recovery. Jason McAteer and John Aldridge will join host Ryan Tubridy ahead of a fundraiser game next month which will see Liverpool Legends take on a Republic of Ireland squad…

YouTuber and author Riyadh Khalaf knew that he was different from the age of 11, but found it a daunting task to come out to his Irish-Catholic mother and Muslim Iraqi father. Riyadh and his parents join Ryan to explain what it was like to grow up as a gay kid in Ireland…

In 1999, Guido Nasi was visiting Ireland for the first time when he was attacked in Dublin, leaving him with partial sight, and unable to walk or feed himself. Guido joins Ryan to recount what happened on the day of the assault, and why he’s celebrating a new chapter in his life.

Ryan will also be joined by Colette Byrne, Venetia Quick and John Fitzsimons on adjusting to life after the death of their partners

Music will be from Damien Dempsey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,006 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

sligojoek wrote: »
    "Come back Dermot Bannon. All is forgiven.".

He hasn't gone anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,890 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

iseegirls wrote: »

It's on RTE1 as well. If ever a show had "RTE2" written all over it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

loyatemu wrote: »
    It's on RTE1 as well. If ever a show had "RTE2" written all over it.

You don’t even mind that (well you do because it’ll be terrible),

Its the fact that it will be repeated to death over the course of the year, again, and again, and fcuking again.... and not just at odd stupid times to fill gaps! No, it’ll be repeated over and over in prime time slots!

(No doubt filling ‘homemade’ quota gaps that need to be filled)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,430 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

sligojoek wrote: »
    I just heard Marty on the radio with Darcy. Apparently one of the highlights of that show is Marty getting his nasal hair done. I never thought I'd say it but "Come back Dermot Bannon. All is forgiven.".

Meanwhile, here's tonight's joyful offering from the LLS

Jebus ****ing Christ. Misery stacked on misery.

Re-read my comments. I think Shearer is terrible too. Which one is worse couldn’t be more unimportant though. They’re not really comparable in terms of their duties.

I freely admit I despise RTE and the likes of Tubridy. Leeches.

I understand you think that Shearer is terrible. But to say he is 'less' terrible than Tubridy is unfair. My initial point was that RTE is not as bad as the BBC in some aspects (Shearer is an example of this in my view) and I think it is unfair on Tubridy (despite his extortionate wages) to say Shearer is worth more than him.

I am not a fan of Tubridy by any means, but he seems to put the effort in and enjoys the job.
    RTE is not all bad despite terrible lows like Marty's nasal hair. :eek:
    RTE definitively needs to be streamlined there is no doubt about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,883 ✭✭✭✭elperello

fritzelly wrote: »
    Examples of the RTE presenters warranted

Bearing in mind that I was referring to radio I would say that I am happy enough with the current RTE lineup.
    Of course there are times when I find some of them annoying or they make a blunder but there's none of us perfect.

I understand you think that Shearer is terrible.

Hansen was on 50 grand an episode apparently.

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

Boggles wrote: »
    He hasn't gone anywhere.

Another reason not to get a TV licence.

Balanadan wrote: »
    Another reason not to get a TV licence.

Who Bannon?

As crazy as it sounds him banging out a 6 part series of essentially attaching a flat roof extension and shoving in an open plan kitchen as he argues with Maeve a school teacher from Tipp about the colour of the units is a pretty big money maker for RTE.

But sure the women love him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,883 ✭✭✭✭elperello

All this talk of Shearer has reminded me of how he was deified on Tyneside when he was at the height of his powers at Newcastle.

I used to visit the home of a Geordie friend in Walker.

As a party piece he used to shout to his toddler about 3 years old "What is Shearer" and she would should back "Shearer is God".

Maybe that makes Ryan Tubridy a sort of John the Baptist :)

Advertisement