Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

1437438439440441443»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

the Irish tax payer are awful gobshites, Rte givin golden handshakes and secret payouts to people who get sick when the sh1t hits the fan. And the Burke crowd amassing 100s of 1000s in fines and nothing been done about it. And still getting payed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Tow

Revenue operate off the 'Payment Date'. If Kevin paid O'Keeffe 200k to pay her 100k tax liability in 2024, then the 200k would (should) be in taxed using 2024 tax rates.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

In saying all of this we have to remember that we are talking about the CFO and Head of HR in one of the largest employers in the country. This is their bread and butter, they are far from innocence and Kevin was a fool to say RTE were going to pay her tax.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

But we Peons get a nice €750 tax break so, you know, it all breaks even in the end…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭flyer_query

it will turn into a taxes on taxes situation. Its tax law that paying an employees taxes is counted as earnings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

I seem to recall that Jim Jennings was quoted (many times) as saying that he really wanted to come in to the committees and help out, answer questions, giving his side - with the implication being that unlike Forbesy, he really was ill.

Seems like that was a load of horse after all and he gets off scott free (with added wedge thrown in)

I've said it before - If this ***t happened in France, Montrosia would be a smouldering wasteland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Total coincidence that the Jennings news comes in the last weeks of silly season, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Yeah I am sick of illness.

I can't see that Mr. Jennings was sick, yes he had the excuse that he had a minor operation before he went out sick, but prior to that he'd headed off to some soccer match paid for by RTÉ.

As for Dee, I have heard she is really sick but its been a year at this point.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,641 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Nothing new there Mr A, think ‘Birthdaygate “ back in the Covid days.

Once a silo, always a silo, those lads are cornholing John Q Taxpayer like there was no to-morrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

largest employers? are you insane..its a mickey mouse outfit with about 1800 people in 2022 that's taking this country for a ride. I'm all for public service but RTe should be cut to the absolute bone and funded for public service programs ie news/primetime. Everything else should be raised by advertising or streaming…if they don't last then tough ****. Give the public service fund to another station.

• Advertisement

It actually has around 2,500 when the 'subcontractors' are counted... By Irish standard this is large. ~95% of Irish employers have 5 or less employees. What I don't understand is what they are all doing. They have cut back on service after service, but still have all the staff. HR were supposed to introduce a grading system years ago, but failed to. It would be a start in controlling costs. Detail what everyone one does and their level of responsibility, then assign a grade to them. There are already HR systems/methodologies to do this. I have see it done in other large employers. Once you have a grade, the grade has a salary range. Then look at the employees actually Salary vs their Grade. Some will need a salary increase, but others will be earning more than the top salary for their grade. They can increase their responsibilities (grade) or their salary can stagnate until the top of the salary range for their grade reaches it.

But, I come back to what are all the staff doing? Joe Duffy had had at least half a dozen different producers in the last month. What do these people do on other days? Are their people 'wandering the corridors' who produced a show a one/twice a month?

Then we have tallent like George Lee. Hardly ever on air these days, but on big money.

The problem you have is that you reduce Irish programming outside of news and current affairs, not that RTÉ have ever done well in other areas, but you'd be guaranteed that no local drama will be produced, lots of FDI followed by one or two Irish Drama's per year.

I have said before RTÉ should be broken up

RTÉ TV - Rebranded as FÍS (coming under Screen Ireland)

• FÍS 1 - takes the place of RTÉ 1
    • FÍS 2 - takes the place of RTÉ 2
    • FÍS ÓR - An archive / catch up channel
    • FÍS Play - RTÉ PLAYER
    • Funding Exchequer and ad revenue
    • Commission all independent productions

RTÉ RADIO - Rebranded as 2RN

• National Media Centre / Radio and TV studios
    • National broadcast network
    • 2RN - RTÉ Radio 1
    • 2FM
    • 2ÓR - RTÉ GOLD
    • 2XM
    • 2PL - RTÉ Pulse
    • 2ND - RTÉ RADIO PLAYER
    • Funding from exchequer and ad revenue and studio / network rentals

TG4 & RnaG - RTnaGLS (National Irish, Children and Film broadcaster)

• TG4
    • RnaG
    • RnaL - replaces RTÉjr Radio (irish and english content)
    • 4jr - takes over from RTÉjr (English Children's channel)
    • 4Eile - archives and catch up channel
    • Cula4
    • Cine4 (Film Channel)
    • SRUTH4 - streaming and podcasting service
    • Funding from exchequer and ad revenue
    • Commission all independent productions

NCH - National Concert Hall

• Lyric FM
    • Concert Orchestra
    • Funding from exchequer and ad revenue and ticket sales

RTÉ NEWS and Current Affairs - becomes Media News / Mean Nuacht

• Provides all news to the above organisations
    • MN News - Takes over from RTÉ NEWS CHANNEL
    • MN Radio - replaces RTÉ Radio 1 extra
    • News provided online also with its own player
    • Funded from the license fee, reduce license fee to €60 per year

Post edited by RoTelly on

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

With the exception of Irish portions, NCH and RTE news and current affairs , absolutely none of the other stuff should be exchequer funded.

Otherwise you're saying break up RTe but lets keep funding them by throwing them hundreds of millions a year and also let them keep ad revenue. Sure our license goes down to 60 quid but we'd still be funding their gold plated contracts and so called redundancy payments.

If a charity had done what RTE is currently doing fraud squad would be in and making arrests. But RTE is being allowed to get away with it.

You could make FÍS and 2RN full commercial save for news from Media News, but you'd have to insist that all their ad revenue is used for commissions and home produced programming.

Where does that leave sport?

I'd reduce down the head count under my plan and only RTÉ commissioning editors would move to Screen Ireland, none of their executive, e.g. the new head of Video content can be sent to the archives to digitize video for all I care.

______

Yesterday

pretty much more of the same either they are double jobing or making up roles

https://about.rte.ie/2024/08/23/appointment-joseph-hoban-announced-as-rtes-new-head-of-communications-marketing-and-social/

New Head of Communications, Marketing and Social

Is that a new role (during a freeze) or his he replacing some one and is that someone the former Director Of Audiences, Marketing and Channels, now Deputy DG? and where does it put the Head of Public Affairs, and where are their public affairs unit to answer questions about Jimbo.

______

Yesterday

I would need to double check, but buried in their recent annual report they hired a new head of equality or some such title. This should just be a standard part of HR's remit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,641 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

They are still cornholing us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Large companies require senior executives. You are not going to get the calibre of talent you require by offering 70k a year.

Let’s think about this logically and rationally folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭backwards_man

Large companies hold their senior execs to account for those big bucks. Don't see that happening at RTE.

Advertisement