Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭RoTelly

https://about.rte.ie/2024/08/30/rte-launches-new-season-of-unique-public-service-content-featuring-real-irish-stories-and-celebrating-irelands-landscape-culture-and-creativity/ "Unique Public Service Content" they are such **** saps.

To me its all the same, depression dressed as entertainment and that not just the documentaries.

Factual

On the Beat - Fly on the wall doc about the Gardaí, in a never been done before doc that's been done before

The Case I Can’t Forget - Returns for another series

Blindboy: The Land of Slaves - because he doesn't want to be famous!

Anorexia, My Family and Me - Angie Scanlon needs a series and sure poor poor her, its not like we could find an ordinary person do do this doc on.

Addicts - How addiction works, with Prof Brian Pennie a former addict - This project is co-funded by Taighde Éireann – Research Ireland (formerly Science Foundation Ireland) - another PSA from an Irish Public body.

Noraid: Irish-America and the IRA, Vótáil and Scannal.

Leathered - a doc about corporal punishment - is this not enough of a bore

Lost for Words - my own doc about life with dyslexia as I lock my full potential here on boards.ie

Ben Dunne and Michael Smurfit get docs of their own.

GAA docs include The Game, Hell for Leather and Réiteoir.

And I will let you all read the rest !

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭fliball123

No it will keep the spot light squarely on RTE and if and when people go to court the disparity of the harshness displayed by say a pensioner being threatened with prison for not paying 160 for a TV license for a service that was ran by a organization that defrauded the tax payer to the tune of millions and then given golden handshakes as they walked away without even answering a question will be highlighted again and again and again. Its not just about how the TV license is paid its about getting blowing RTE out of the water and starting fresh with something new in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,355 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

No. Feck all people not old enough for the free TV licence will be watching anyway.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,754 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

a pensioner being threatened with prison for not paying 160 for a TV license

pensioners are not required to pay it

Addicts - How addiction works, with Prof Brian Pennie a former addict - This project is co-funded by Taighde Éireann – Research Ireland (formerly Science Foundation Ireland) - another PSA from an Irish Public body.

RTE is at the forefront in the fight against telly addiction.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

They are if under 70 and their spouse/partner is still in employment.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Floppybits

That was my thinking on it. Are there people out there who are waiting on RTE to announce their Autumn schedule?

Just read the link that @RoTelly posted for the "new Season" on RTE, I think the only thing on for me would Irelands Fittest Family. The Late Late Show is back and reading the bit on it " Patrick Kielty brings his own unique style to Friday nights on The Late Late Show, joined by the biggest names in entertainment, music, comedy and sport. After a cracking first season, Patrick is more ambitious than ever, with plenty of specials and surprises in store." The biggest names in Entertainment, music, comedy and sport are they having a laugh, it will the usual people hanging around the RTE canteen with possibly a few of the medal winners from the olympics.

I bet it will be the same celebrities who will be appearing on the new show " To Hell & Back with Ray Goggins, adventurer and former special forces soldier Ray Goggins takes A-list Irish celebrities on extreme outdoor adventures in some of the most inhospitable, hostile environments on the planet."

I can see why they are not making a big deal of this launch.

They will cover the shortfall and it will show the government that the license fee payer is not happy with RTÉ. If the gov want to cover the shortfall let them.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,754 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

They will cover the shortfall and it will show the government that the license fee payer is not happy with RTÉ.

Seemingly the intention is to move to full exchequer funding within five years anyway so that mass evasion you envisage would just be a temporary anomaly if it even materialises which I'm skeptical about

after five years RTÉ will be fully funded directly by the taxpayer.

I haven't seen this confirmed anywhere but Lee is a pretty respected reporter so until I see it directly contradicted somewhere I'm assuming it's the plan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

That is a giant article. A bullet point list would be better.

Some interesting looking shows, but in more of an 'add it to my list on Netflix' kind of way, rather than a must find out when it's on and make sure to watch kind of way.

Post edited by The J Stands for Jay on

• Advertisement

They are down 100,000 license fees since 2022.

Again best to do it now when the license fee still exists.

Lee is spouting the same mantra as before from the quotes given.

Details of the new funding plan come as the former chair of the RTÉ board, Siún Ní Raghallaigh, expressed frustration yesterday at the "political inertia" over financing the national broadcaster.

I like'd Siún but what about the inertia in RTÉ? Do you think that RTÉ is this unique public service broadcast that it should continue as is as if nothing happened.

"The frequent political mantra is that the funding model must not jeopardise the independence of our public service media, the funding issue is firmly in the control of the political system... There is no certainty about the level of funding, no stability - exactly what is to be avoided, according to government"

She knows as former Chair of TG4, their exchequre funding was cut by the government from 2011 to 2018, that funding gap was replace by some of the Licence fee (something many seem to forget).

3 QUESTIONS

1. How was the government of the day legal able to divert funding from the license fee to TG4?
    2. Why was this never spoken about?
    3. And if exchequer funding can be maintained, what happens in a downturn, its not just about political interference.

______

Yesterday

As I said on another forum, as streamers launch month programming, broadcast TV will have to follow suit, I think they should still anounce it on a yearly basis, but on a monthly basis they should be highlighting what is coming that month, and RTÉ should be aiming for one drama and one comedy launched each month.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭political analyst

The Two Johnnies have a second series on RTÉ 2 - why do so many viewers still watch them?

They don't and RTÉ2's audience is falling.

In Jan 2024 RTÉ2 had a 4% share this was large due to the lack of sport on the channel, This year both the Euros and Olypmics will help, but without sport RTÉ2 is failing badly.

I wouldn't be surprised if RTÉ attempt to move the 2 johnnies over the ONE.

There is nothing on RTÉ2 from an Irish perspective but Sport.

And just to be clear

• Jan 4%
    • Feb 6% (6 nations)
    • Mar 6% (6 nations)
    • Apr 6% (GAA Championships)
    • May 7% (GAA Championship & Champions League)
    • June 14% (GAA and Champions League finals, Euro 2024)
    • July 17% (Euro Finals, Olympics 2024)
    • Average 9% for the first 7months

Last Week: -

Champions League Live - Live Play:
    Young Boys v Galatasaray

20:01

Wed

FILM: The Godfather Part II

21:37

Fri

Home And Away

18:31

Tue

Earth

20:00

Sun

Attack on Pearl Harbor: Minute by Minute

20:01

Sat

Champions League Live - Post Match:
    Young Boys v Galatasaray

22:01

Wed

Home And Away

18:32

Wed

Champions League Live - Post Match:
    Young Boys v Galatasaray

19:30

Wed

Home And Away

Thu

FILM: Our Ladies

21:00

Sun

FILM: Rocky

21:00

Sat

DIY SOS: The Big Build

19:01

Tue

All Fired Up

19:00

Wed

Yellowstone

22:53

Sun

Home And Away

Mon

Amazing Hotels: Life Beyond The Lobby

19:01

Mon

Hippo King

20:34

Fri

Home And Away

18:30

Fri

Saving Lives at Sea

20:10

Tue

The Alps

19:35

Fri

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭fliball123

Ok any one who is asked to pay it and feels like making a scene about it will do highlight how the law works for those in power and not for those who have none. I forgot the pensioners dont have to pay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭political analyst

Then why has RTÉ persisted with the 2 Johnnies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

i think the interesting thing about blindboy is more that he spends (or at least spent, i havent kept up with his podcast recently) alot of time complaining about how terrible RTE is and how much better it was working with the BBC, yet hes back working with them again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Because the BBC don't want him. The Rubberbandits tried to crack the UK, and it didn't happen. And if it didn't work as a duo, it won't work solo. The act doesn't travel. But he's a sellout, so he'll take what he can get.

They can shoot the show for cheap, get the usual D-list 'celeb' for air fare and cheap. Then when the four episodes are done, they can just re-air them over and over again . And if there's a program cancelled due to tragic events (cos the world is messed up and sometimes a film or tv show would be offensive if aired as scheduled) they can just show a repeat of a 2 Johnnies Episode. Or Cheap Irish Homes. Or 'unfunny Prank Show #1306'. RTE 2 is the graveyard channel now. Rte 1 is not much better.

God, those numbers are depressing. Time was, you'd add a zero to those, and you'd be talking '520K watched the Godfather'.

I'll admit, I barely watch RTE at all nowadays. It's netflix, Film 4, or the BBC. Last thing I tuned in for was the Eamon Casey investigation and the Expose on Irish Women's football. Genuinely respectable investigation. (Tho the FAI buried the latter under the 'we have a new manager for the men' announcement.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,322 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I see the government have started to run a household benefits package ad ( the one telling those in their 70s they get a free TV licence) on RTÉ radio recently. A lot of people have no idea of this packages existence, I've told lots of relatives about it previously ,worth the guts of near €600 a year. I guess the idea behind it is a way to top up licence numbers to RTÉ from the government to make evasion figures drop.

My idea of hell would be stuck in front of Ireland's Fittest Family, Clockwork Orange style…

Kielty is a good host on the LLS but the problem is the guests, they were fecking chronic.

Post edited by Hotblack Desiato on

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

RTE and comedy in the same sentence? Shurely shome mishtake

This is the broadcaster that, when offered Father Ted by Channel 4, chose to show The Thin Blue Line instead

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 756 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭20/20

RTE certainly made for it when they did get their hands on Father Ted.

There seems to have been an episode every week for the last 25 years.

Careful now.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,702 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

”Adventurer” where would a lad apply for that job.

Grifter Gazette probably would be a good start?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

They were never offered Fr Ted. I think Linehan and Matthews cleared that up years ago. They never offered RTE Fr Ted because they knew the station couldn't afford to do it. So they took it to the UK instead.
    They'd contacts in the UK from working on the likes of Brass Eye, Big Train, Snuffbox, or The Fast Show. There was a burgeoning comedy scene in the UK, that RTE couldn't hope to compare to.

Even if they'd only offered the two lads a fiver, they still had better contacts than in Ireland.

The 2 Johnnies are successful in their own right, even if we don't get them, and in fairness to them they produced to relatively well received comedy documentaries in The 2 Johnnies do…

The problem on RTÉ2 and the Player is they are surrounded by nothing. RTÉ2 has no real original Irish programming outside of sport. First Dates, Home Rescue and the 2 Johnnies sum up RTÉ2's content. Each do relatively well for RTÉ2 getting between 70k and 100k but as time goes on with little else on the channel save for repeats of Derry Girls, Fr Ted and the Young Offenders the channel has nothing to surround their "top tier" or original programming, and that audience will deplete, but you would hope that RTÉ would pick that audience up on the player? right? after all that's were the audience is. But no because RTÉ player has the same problem because programming is not filtering down to the player from RTÉ2 because their are no RTÉ2 programmes.

RTÉ's excuse, "everyone is going on line", but then you have the programming created for the RTÉ Player, almost all of it is short form, programmes that won't air on mainstream TV for this reason, its not that their comedy-drama's can't be aired on RTÉ2 it is that RTÉ just won't host short form on a main stream channel. RTÉ are basically trying to create YouTube on the Player but won't publish those originals to YouTube to garner an audience there.

But this is shown with the DG and his excuses: -

“Comedy is a very tricky genre, not just for us,” said Mr Bakhurst. “Most commercial broadcasters have pulled out of it, because it’s too hit and miss, and it’s expensive as well. But this should be part of our offering to audiences and having the guaranteed level of funding over the next number of years helps us take these risks.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/2024/08/30/rtes-new-season-crime-dramas-gaa-docs-and-the-return-of-tricky-comedy/

And lets just rephrase that for Mr Bakhurst

“Comedy is a very tricky genre, not just because RTÉ have failed so miserably with it over the years,” said Mr Bakhurst. “Most UK broadcasters have pulled out of it, because it’s too hit and miss, and they have a vast history of strong comedy, even some inexpensive stuff ended up being real hits. But this should always have been part of our offering to audiences and because we have always had guaranteed levels of funding over the years which should have helped us take those risks. It a great pity RTÉ was terribly mismanaged over the years.”

______

Yesterday

Let clear this up further. In fairness to RTÉ Linehan and Matthews had both worked on Nighthawks on Network 2, prior to leaving for the UK. Almost all Irish comedy output was developed in the UK. Why would Linehan and Matthews approach RTÉ with Fr Ted when they as you say had those contacts in the UK who were clearly interested in their work.

The UK's comedy scene was in full swing, as I said for Mr. Bakhurst "they have a vast history of strong comedy".

It is daft to think that RTÉ could not afford Fr. Ted but could afford "Upwardly Mobile", RTÉ de-facto (for want of a better word) rejected Fr Ted because it failed over the years to develop comedy, and Linehan and Matthews understood that they probably wouldn't have been able to work for RTÉ for this reason.

They are being nice to RTÉ.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Floppybits

How do you even become and "Adventurer"? Is it climbing Croke Patrick or something?

• Advertisement

I think you are asking the wrong question… how do you become an A-Lister in the eyes of RTÉ?

climb Croke Patrick or something? 😁

______

Yesterday

Advertisement