Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Tonight (Monday 12th August) on RTÉ1 at 9:35pm we have another Mrs. Brown’s Boys repeat, except this one is a very special one - it’s the Christmas Special. That’s right, the Christmas Special....in August.

See Forbes you are a disgrace and an embarrassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭satguy

Tonight (Monday 12th August) on RTÉ1 at 9:35pm we have another Mrs. Brown’s Boys repeat, except this one is a very special one - it’s the Christmas Special. That’s right, the Christmas Special....in August.

RTÉ1 at 9:35pm is prime time,, there really should be something great on.
    We should be going into work on Monday and talking about what was on the TV last night.

Instead we have to go in on Monday and give out about the rubbish RTE served up last night.

Sack them all..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

What I really hate is when they repeat homemade thrash (which results in additional payments to actors) a 2nd time and then put new unseen stuff on at 1am, like Grand Hotel, who makes these commercial suicide decisions, do they burn licence payers money's at weddings they attend for fun so to speak?

The likes of Francis Brennan and Daniel O Donnell are on Every Sunday evening.

Surely DOD can make enough from singing without coming to the RTE trough for fodder.

A few weeks ago Nationwide did a "Profile " on Brennan's hotel in Kenmare. Nationwide is fine without turning it into an advertorial.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,314 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Seriously?

Oh, of course-the Sunday Game Live was on-so RTE doesn't want to interfere with the ratings for that...

Seriously stupid, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Seriously?

Oh, of course-the Sunday Game Live was on-so RTE doesn't want to interfere with the ratings for that...

Seriously stupid, however.

Of course!

Sure Irish people could only like GAA or Mrs. Brown’s Boys......:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

Awful. Designed to get one in the mood for Christmas 3-4 months beforehand or to give people yet another chance to watch this great 'masterpiece' in case they were too busy at Christmas.

Mrs Brown's Boys is one of the worst programmes ever made. 9 years this drivel is going on and it shows no signs of coming off our screens with these woeful Christmas specials. The strange thing is it is also on BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Awful. Designed to get one in the mood for Christmas 3-4 months beforehand or to give people yet another chance to watch this great 'masterpiece' in case they were too busy at Christmas.

Mrs Brown's Boys is one of the worst programmes ever made. 9 years this drivel is going on and it shows no signs of coming off our screens with these woeful Christmas specials. The strange thing is it is also on BBC.

Not really strange given that they co-produced it.

This is what RTE are serving up tonight,,, It's not good, and I'm paying for this rubbish.

rr.jpg

satguy wrote: »
    This is what RTE are serving up tonight,,, It's not good, and I'm paying for this rubbish.

rr.jpg

Why do they always have to show repeats of Mrs Brown's Boys and Room To Improve? They were not even good the first time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

At least they dont repeat the news :D

• Advertisement

Below is a post I posted here back in June.

RTE should be just one TV news channel and one radio station.

Let the other commercial TV channels fill the void, and buy the same rubbish from overseas that RTE dishes up to us.
    A TV licence should be only €50 per year and the news channel should be BBC / SKY News quality and 24 hours. (every household pays)

For too long we have let RTE get away with hiring their sons & daughters even if they had no talent or experience.
    Setting up their own production company's and having RTE buy rubbish for big bucks, this scam has gone on too long.

How we let their 3 highest paid stars get over a million between them is a joke. (on us)

Maybe it's time we fixed the mess that is RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

D
    sligojoek wrote: »
    What I really hate is when they repeat homemade thrash (which results in additional payments to actors) a 2nd time and then put new unseen stuff on at 1am, like Grand Hotel, who makes these commercial suicide decisions, do they burn licence payers money's at weddings they attend for fun so to speak?

Surely DOD can make enough from singing without coming to the RTE trough for fodder.

A few weeks ago Nationwide did a "Profile " on Brennan's hotel in Kenmare. Nationwide is fine without turning it into an advertorial.
    Dont forget Carter repeats and Bannon repeats of repeats

sligojoek wrote: »

I have noticed these. Francis Brennan's holiday programmes and At Your Service are regular things to repeat alongside anything Dermot Bannon does and Mrs Brown's Boys.

As regards Daniel O'Donnell: if it was programmes of him singing, it would make sense. Instead they have him and his wife doing a sort of a Francis Brennan type show and they teamed him up with Mr Bannon for Room To Improve too! It is clear these type of shows cost nothing to make and can be pushed onto a gullible audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Jobs for the boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I would love to know the figures for people who watch eastenders on rte vs people (in ireland) who watch on bbc. Actually, im surprised rte havent complained about this or used ot as an excuse to get more money - big bad company in another country taking away our viewers and potential advertising income, etc....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I have noticed these. Francis Brennan's holiday programmes and At Your Service are regular things to repeat alongside anything Dermot Bannon does and Mrs Brown's Boys.

As regards Daniel O'Donnell: if it was programmes of him singing, it would make sense. Instead they have him and his wife doing a sort of a Francis Brennan type show and they teamed him up with Mr Bannon for Room To Improve too! It is clear these type of shows cost nothing to make and can be pushed onto a gullible audience.

RTE don't even make Room to Improve

Coco Content make it, so I guess RTE buy it from them, also must have to pay for repeats as Coco would own the original content.....

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    RTE don't even make Room to Improve

Coco Content make it, so I guess RTE buy it from them, also must have to pay for repeats as Coco would own the original content.....

The way these things operate is Dermot Bannon, Coco and RTE do a deal and the programme requires just Bannon turning up to give his advice, have a few more than likely 'staged' arguments with clients and have a camera onboard to film it. Licence fee and advertising revenue provide the money and then a certain % is allocated to each party involved. There is a contract to repeat it as often as possible and royalties from advertising/licence fee going to the relevant parties too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I think repeats are a massive problem on RTÉ, not just during the summer months.

BBC and Channel 4 have to keep repeats in prime time on their main channels to a minimum level. Last time I checked BBC ONE repeat level of just 3%, BBC TWO was higher at 25% and Channel 4 had 9% repeats.

RTÉ don't want to provide these details, I FOI them and they said it would take too long to provide (bull**** as they gave me the figure the month before hand). 55% repeats on RTÉ2 and 25% repeats on RTÉ ONE (oh and if you take all the constant programming such as Soaps, Chat shows and News, it goes up to 50%).

When the cut Children's TV the Union basically said RTÉ's plan was to repeat all programming from RTÉjr and TRTÉ until mid-2018, the announcement was made in 2016! RTÉ would re-start commissioning programming for Children in mid-2017.

Elmo wrote: »
    I think repeats are a massive problem on RTÉ, not just during the summer months.

BBC and Channel 4 have to keep repeats in prime time on their main channels to a minimum level. Last time I checked BBC ONE repeat level of just 3%, BBC TWO was higher at 25% and Channel 4 had 9% repeats.

RTÉ don't want to provide these details, I FOI them and they said it would take too long to provide (bull**** as they gave me the figure the month before hand). 55% repeats on RTÉ2 and 25% repeats on RTÉ ONE (oh and if you take all the constant programming such as Soaps, Chat shows and News, it goes up to 50%).

When the cut Children's TV the Union basically said RTÉ's plan was to repeat all programming from RTÉjr and TRTÉ until mid-2018, the announcement was made in 2016! RTÉ would re-start commissioning programming for Children in mid-2017.

Looks repeats on BBC can count shows like "killing Eve" etc....not thats a different type of repeat

Now I know BBC have a bigger budget but the value for money out of RTE is awful....ploughing more money into it will not make it better......

Looks repeats on BBC can count shows like "killing Eve" etc....not thats a different type of repeat

Now I know BBC have a bigger budget but the value for money out of RTE is awful....ploughing more money into it will not make it better......

I think they count all shows imports and home produced.

RTÉ need radical reform, it's begging bowl doesn't work, they've had 10 years of pretty static income and for most of those 10 years they have complained that they are 25% down.

They never talk about how 2FM didn't take any cuts but was gifted 5m per year from the licence, that mean less money going towards content.

They never talk about how their Corp HQ didn't take a cut and 5m per year from the licence fee was gifted to, that means leass money going towards content.

They never talk about how they have kept their spend on imports at 25m per year.

Right there you have 35m that RTÉ are not using for content. But lets not talk about that 35m.

• Advertisement

Elmo wrote: »
    I think they count all shows imports and home produced.

RTÉ need radical reform, it's begging bowl doesn't work, they've had 10 years of pretty static income and for most of those 10 years they have complained that they are 25% down.

They never talk about how 2FM didn't take any cuts but was gifted 5m per year from the licence, that mean less money going towards content.

They never talk about how their Corp HQ didn't take a cut and 5m per year from the licence fee was gifted to, that means leass money going towards content.

They never talk about how they have kept their spend on imports at 25m per year.

Right there you have 35m that RTÉ are not using for content. But lets not talk about that 35m.

Plus they dropped the Pro 14 rugby
    They dropped the 6 nations rugby
    Dropped Premiership highlights etc
    Dropped the Heineken Cup highlights

Where did this money go?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Where did this money go?

Tubridys bank account and fancy buffets for the rte staff.
    If everyone just stopped watching it then it will die. Advertisers will either pay less for air time because nobody is watching would be one effect. Mass non payment of the TV licence would finish it off.

Do rte pay its staff pensions?

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Tubridys bank account and fancy buffets for the rte staff.
    If everyone just stopped watching it then it will die. Advertisers will either pay less for air time because nobody is watching would be one effect. Mass non payment of the TV licence would finish it off.

Do rte pay its staff pensions?

You can be sure they are all on big pensions!!! not a hope they wouldnt be

Where did this money go?

They didn't drop any of em-they lost the rights because they were outbid.
    IF they dropped em, it would have been down to lack of viewership-sort of why they dropped things like Formula 1. Audiences dipped. As they did with things like Tour de France or Tennis.

For Rugby, football, or horse racing, to name a few-the ratings were high across the board.
    They simply couldn't afford the rights to air them.

Striking Out is on repeat now on RTE 1. Terrible acting and galling to think they get a cut for showing it again :mad:

They didn't drop any of em-they lost the rights because they were outbid.
    IF they dropped em, it would have been down to lack of viewership-sort of why they dropped things like Formula 1. Audiences dipped. As they did with things like Tour de France or Tennis.

For Rugby, football, or horse racing, to name a few-the ratings were high across the board.
    They simply couldn't afford the rights to air them.

They lost the rights to F1. RTÉ lost these right which means they’d have money for other areas but I saw no improvement in other areas outside sport, remember RTÉ have had the same income since losing those rights, nothing has changed.

This is the RTE line up,, From just after the News at 1 , to just after the News at 9 ,, It's not good.

ghy.jpg

It looks like LATEST POSTS on here.

Striking Out is on repeat now on RTE 1. Terrible acting and galling to think they get a cut for showing it again :mad:

I notice talk of a Season 2 went very quiet. Was meant to have been commissioned, but much of the cast are doing other things, so I wonder if it was quietly killed off...

• Advertisement

I notice talk of a Season 2 went very quiet. Was meant to have been commissioned, but much of the cast are doing other things, so I wonder if it was quietly killed off...

There were 2 seasons and it was replaced by taken down

Advertisement