Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Dee must go for a nap for 75 minutes with her fingers in her ears, because if she was a strong CEO, a certain crap broadcaster, book writer and wearer of the best waist coats in the country would be fired after that car crash radio show
    Impartial my arse

• Registered Users Posts: 8,314 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Dee must go for a nap for 75 minutes with her fingers in her ears, because if she was a strong CEO, a certain crap broadcaster, book writer and wearer of the best waist coats in the country would be fired after that car crash radio show
    Impartial my arse

Are we talking about the comments he made about that 16 year old kid?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Haha Six One news just finished with a classic shot, six crew to video a news report on a street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Behind a paywall but the gist is clear...
    https://www.businesspost.ie/news/martin-promises-household-media-charge-boost-rte-453517
    FF in fear of not getting their usual soft interviews on Prime Time.

Haha Six One news just finished with a classic shot, six crew to video a news report on a street.

Scratch that, actually seven, one to video the six crew videoing the interview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

FFS.

I was driving in this morning and I was flicking through the stations and came to RTE GOLD on DAB. Rick O'Shea was saying he had to stay in a hotel last night as the weather was too bad to drive home, and that "half of RTE Radio stayed in the Stillorgan Park Hotel or whatever it's called now last night". I assume we paid for this of course. THE STORM HASN'T HIT YET!!!!!!!!!!! IT'S ABSOLUTELY FINE IN DUBLIN AT THE MOMENT!!!!!

I'm sitting in my office in the city centre and there's young lads walking past in shorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,006 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Rick O'Shea was saying he had to stay in a hotel last night as the weather was too bad to drive home

He has severe epilepsy, he can't drive.

Boggles wrote: »

I'm just repeating what was said on the show..........it may not have been Rick himself (I'm not a regular listener) and as I said I was flicking through the stations, but it was his name on the digital display on the DAB and there was only one person talking at the time, it wasn'ty a sonversation between two (or more) people.

But let's focus on that and not half of RTE staying in a hotel at I assume taxpayers expense because it was a little windy out.

Also, if you want to be pedantic, I didn't actually say he was the driver, nor did I say he said he was the driver - please read what I said.

But let's focus on that and not half of RTE staying in a hotel at I assume taxpayers expense because it was a little windy out.

But sure it wasn't windy out yesterday, was it?

Good bit of rain Monday though.

Maybe you picked him wrong.

Anyway I very much doubt half of RTE stayed in a hotel because of a storm that hasn't happened yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,509 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Scratch that, actually seven, one to video the six crew videoing the interview.

And best of all, it was one of their new Brexit specials they will be doing all month.

It's not like they haven't talked about BREXIT for 3 solid years.

Now they will be roaming around the country for a month, complete with overnight hotel stays for a gang of Rte employees no doubt.

But sure it wasn't windy out yesterday, was it?

Good bit of rain Monday though.

Maybe you picked him wrong.

Anyway I very much doubt half of RTE stayed in a hotel because of a storm that hasn't happened yet.

It was wet adn windy in Dublin yesterday.

I'm only relaying what was said, but hey, shoot the messenger.

This is the organisation that has previosuly accomdated Mr. Joseph Duffy going to Cork on a Tuesday for a Funny Friday (BTW, he didn't broadcast on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday of that week - just the Funny Friday), and had the whole Production Crew and Funny Friday Crew go to Arklow and overnight on a Thursday for another Funny Friday. Funny Friday is a 75minute show broadcast from 1:45 - 3:00pm and Arklow is 45mins away from the Southside of Dublin, but they had to go down the night before. :rolleyes:

I'm not, but also I'm not going to get a rage horn over something I don't think happened.

I'm not, but also I'm not going to get a rage horn over something I don't think happened.

Ok, I just made it up. :rolleyes:

Ok, I just made it up. :rolleyes:

Fair enough.

Fair enough.

The roll eyes was supposed to indicate sarcasm but I’m guessing you missed that?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

NIMAN wrote: »
    And best of all, it was one of their new Brexit specials they will be doing all month.

It's not like they haven't talked about BREXIT for 3 solid years.

Now they will be roaming around the country for a month, complete with overnight hotel stays for a gang of Rte employees no doubt.

And quite possibly some rehired former RTE employees as contractors, because they didn't forsee Brexit. To add to all the other events they didn't foresee like World Cups, Olympics, VIP visits.

They've been paying off employees to leave for years now and they still seem to have as many staff as ever.

The Outside Broadcasts are expensive and add little value.

When reporting on politics, they have a full OB team outside the Dail or government buildings, reporting back to a studio less than 2 miles away. With duplication of producers and sound editors.

Funny the Northern Correspondant Tommy Gorman had a mic holder for his audio this evening, the boom operator must have been pre- engaged elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

FFS.

I was driving in this morning and I was flicking through the stations and came to RTE GOLD on DAB. Rick O'Shea was saying he had to stay in a hotel last night as the weather was too bad to drive home, and that "half of RTE Radio stayed in the Stillorgan Park Hotel or whatever it's called now last night". I assume we paid for this of course. THE STORM HASN'T HIT YET!!!!!!!!!!! IT'S ABSOLUTELY FINE IN DUBLIN AT THE MOMENT!!!!!

I'm sitting in my office in the city centre and there's young lads walking past in shorts.

sorry! we are talking about the heavy rain?! that this rock is used too! This has to be a pisstake?! FCUK right right RTE!

Your always cribbing on about the homeless and vulnerable, maybe its time to stop your outrageous excesses and start laving this cash you treat as confetti, to those you cry your crocodile tears for!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I'm just repeating what was said on the show..........it may not have been Rick himself (I'm not a regular listener) and as I said I was flicking through the stations, but it was his name on the digital display on the DAB and there was only one person talking at the time, it wasn'ty a sonversation between two (or more) people.

it most likely was an old show. probably from the day of storm athelia.
    It was wet adn windy in Dublin yesterday.

This is the organisation that has previosuly accomdated Mr. Joseph Duffy going to Cork on a Tuesday for a Funny Friday (BTW, he didn't broadcast on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday of that week - just the Funny Friday), and had the whole Production Crew and Funny Friday Crew go to Arklow and overnight on a Thursday for another Funny Friday. Funny Friday is a 75minute show broadcast from 1:45 - 3:00pm and Arklow is 45mins away from the Southside of Dublin, but they had to go down the night before.

they would have went down to get any equipment ready and test it. better to go down the night before and do that and iron out any issues, rather then doing it on the day and something happening.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,473 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

FFS.
    I was driving in this morning and I was flicking through the stations and came to RTE GOLD on DAB. Rick O'Shea was saying he had to stay in a hotel last night as the weather was too bad to drive home, and that "half of RTE Radio stayed in the Stillorgan Park Hotel

What time was that?

fritzelly wrote: »
    What time was that?

Between 7:30-7:40sm (ish) yesterday morning

FFS.

Just on the above - it was actually Will Leahy on the show yesterday and not Rick O'Shea. I've changed car in the last few weeks and just getting used to the display(s). On the main console it says who's "on air now", beside the speel dial it says who's "playing next" - I was looking at the speed dial area yesterday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

You asked for it.

What colour is the new car?

sligojoek wrote: »
    You asked for it.

What colour is the new car?

Silver caller. And thanks for your service.

The point of a public service remit is to provide services and content that no other commercial station would provide.

In pre internet days when FM radio was the only show in town, Lyric met this requirement.

But nowadays, it cannot be argued that classical music is not easily accessible. There are at least 10 other classical radio stations available at the touch of a button and thousands of hours on places like YouTube, all for free.

So yes Lyric are duplicating all that, at a cost of 6 million a year.

Try that in the car, without resorting to a pass through phone connection (and relying on reception)
    I actually like Lyric and I never thought that I would ever see myself say that.

Try that in the car, without resorting to a pass through phone connection (and relying on reception)
    I actually like Lyric and I never thought that I would ever see myself say that.

I've read letters to newspapers from people who say they like listening to Lyric or they like to fall asleep to it.

FFS, you can do this with thousands of classical songs on Youtube.

I get the feeling many Lyric listeners don't move with the times, and the internet is a foreign concept.

I don't think Lyric does anything different to several other stations online. If it was closed, most listeners would find alternatives easily enough. if they tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,294 ✭✭✭facehugger99

How in God's name has someone not lost their job over the absolute scandal that is the RTE Player?

I don't think I've ever encountered a piece of technology more frustrating to use.

Multiple crashes, with each one forcing you to sit through 2 minutes of ads (which never crash).

It's entirely unusable.

it's an absolute outrage that in 2019, the national broadcaster considers this application fit for public consumption.

If this was the UK, we'd have had a raft of resignations over this scandal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I've read letters to newspapers from people who say they like listening to Lyric or they like to fall asleep to it.

FFS, you can do this with thousands of classical songs on Youtube.

I get the feeling many Lyric listeners don't move with the times, and the internet is a foreign concept.

I don't think Lyric does anything different to several other stations online. If it was closed, most listeners would find alternatives easily enough. if they tried.

as has already been explained, youtube and online stations are not viable and reliable for many due to the fact that internet to a sufficient standard is not available across the whole country.
    as rte is a public service broadcaster, the majority are still listening to fm radio, and lyric meets the public service requirement, if it was to close then those listeners would be without a service, until such time as we have full scale coverage of absolutely reliable internet across the country.

How in God's name has someone not lost their job over the absolute scandal that is the RTE Player?

I don't think I've ever encountered a piece of technology more frustrating to use.

Multiple crashes, with each one forcing you to sit through 2 minutes of ads (which never crash).

It's entirely unusable.

it's an absolute outrage that in 2019, the national broadcaster considers this application fit for public consumption.

If this was the UK, we'd have had a raft of resignations over this scandal.

it's unlikely we would.
    the person who signed off on it might be fired or simply moved to a new department, but a raft of resignations would be unlikely.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Advertisement