Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

How in God's name has someone not lost their job over the absolute scandal that is the RTE Player?

I don't think I've ever encountered a piece of technology more frustrating to use.

Multiple crashes, with each one forcing you to sit through 2 minutes of ads (which never crash).

It's entirely unusable.

it's an absolute outrage that in 2019, the national broadcaster considers this application fit for public consumption.

If this was the UK, we'd have had a raft of resignations over this scandal.

But at least they covered the ploughing facehugger!

as has already been explained, youtube and online stations are not viable and reliable for many due to the fact that internet to a sufficient standard is not available across the whole country.
    as rte is a public service broadcaster, the majority are still listening to fm radio, and lyric meets the public service requirement, if it was to close then those listeners would be without a service, until such time as we have full scale coverage of absolutely reliable internet across the country.

1.9% of listeners who listen to Lyric.

Let's say 25% of those have poor access to the internet. That's a whopping 0.5% of total listeners in this country who aren't being catered to.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

1.9% of listeners who listen to Lyric.

Let's say 25% of those have poor access to the internet. That's a whopping 0.5% of total listeners in this country who aren't being catered to.

those listening to lyric are license fee payers as well. so the fact they are a small amount is irrelevant given the operator is a public service operator and the service meets the remit of public service broadcasting.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,573 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

How in God's name has someone not lost their job over the absolute scandal that is the RTE Player?

I don't think I've ever encountered a piece of technology more frustrating to use.

Multiple crashes, with each one forcing you to sit through 2 minutes of ads (which never crash).

It's entirely unusable.

it's an absolute outrage that in 2019, the national broadcaster considers this application fit for public consumption.

If this was the UK, we'd have had a raft of resignations over this scandal.

It's garbage, gave up trying to watch the rugby on it earlier on.
    Remarkably, AerTV.ie, which as far as I can determine are just rebroadcasting streams, managed to stay entirely stable for the entire match, and without RTEs crappy ads

those listening to lyric are license fee payers as well. so the fact they are a small amount is irrelevant given the operator is a public service operator and the service meets the remit of public service broadcasting.

I'm a licence payer who wants to listen to rhythm & blues all day. Should I be catered for as well with a dedicated FM station?

You have to draw the line somewhere. And that's the problem with RTE, they have spread themselves far too thinly to the point that quality has dropped on their main channels, they can't afford to bid for some major sports events, their player is a joke, and they show repeats on TV over and over.

(I don't want to listen to rhythm and blues by the way, I'm just trying to illustrate a point).

• Advertisement

I'm a licence payer who wants to listen to rhythm & blues all day. Should I be catered for as well with a dedicated FM station?

You have to draw the line somewhere. And that's the problem with RTE, they have spread themselves far too thinly to the point that quality has dropped on their main channels, they can't afford to bid for some major sports events, their player is a joke, and they show repeats on TV over and over.

(I don't want to listen to rhythm and blues by the way, I'm just trying to illustrate a point).

actually yes, proper rhythm and blues is a form of music rte should actually be catering to as well. it could be accommodated on lyric fm and people like marty could be sent off to rte gold which could and should replace 2fm on the transmission network of 90 to 92 fm.
    minority broadcasting is exactly what rte should be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

actually yes, proper rhythm and blues is a form of music rte should actually be catering to as well. it could be accommodated on lyric fm and people like marty could be sent off to rte gold which could and should replace 2fm on the transmission network of 90 to 92 fm.
    minority broadcasting is exactly what rte should be doing.

Move Marty to a station that doesnt transmit on FM? not a hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

When you start an online program and the 5 ads begin, if you minimise the web page the ads freeze until you continue watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,473 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

vriesmays wrote: »
    When you start an online program and the 5 ads begin, if you minimise the web page the ads freeze until you continue watching.

Even going to another tab they pause, crafty feckers
    Can manage to code that but not a decent player

Move Marty to a station that doesnt transmit on FM? not a hope.

part of my suggestion mentions that it could and should broadcast on fm instead of 2fm.
    in reality though i am aware that is unlikely to happen.

• Advertisement

I've read letters to newspapers from people who say they like listening to Lyric or they like to fall asleep to it.

FFS, you can do this with thousands of classical songs on Youtube.

I get the feeling many Lyric listeners don't move with the times, and the internet is a foreign concept.

I don't think Lyric does anything different to several other stations online. If it was closed, most listeners would find alternatives easily enough. if they tried.

Then every station can be shut down, includeing RTÉ 1 as you can get everything through podcasts or youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

On the player:

I went to my local to watch the hurling All Ireland final. During a lull in the first half I decided to go out for a fag. Before I left the bar I said I'd fire up the RTE app and watch the game outside for a few minutes. By the time the ads were over I was halfway through my cigarette. By the time the match came on I was finished it. I then watched 30 seconds of what i'd seen already in the pub before I went out.

On Lyric FM:

I don't mind it. It's often a welcome break from people talking. I've no issues with classical or orchestral music. Keep that and other niche stuff too. Rock n Roll, blues, folk, Trad, upcoming acts etc. Call it something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

When people are having a debate about RTÉ radio; there are seemingly some challenges out there for them that do have to be met regardless of the infrastructure that is available for them. For people who cannot get a reliable internet signal from certain ISPs who cannot internet infrastructure; people living in Ireland who are left out of the loop for a decent internet in their area have to rely on FM radio as a default platform to get their radio content. But that challenge for RTÉ is quite tight to achieve in itself. As a broadcaster with limited funds; RTÉ may have to make some tweaks to their broadcasting remit on radio so that all parts of the country can receive most of the remaining services from it.

I could propose to save money on transmissions fees here to close down the channels of RTÉ Pulse & RTÉ 2XM by having them merged with 2FM. RTÉ can than decide to make up reduced schedules for these closed services on 2FM for a few hours for one or two days a week. For their TV services; the RTÉ News Now TV service ideally should be shut down on every platform all over the country with of it's news content outside of the main news bulletins & programmes broadcast live on RTÉ One remaining on the internet via the RTÉ News Now app or RTÉ Player. But their are some problems with that arising from a proposal like this one.

And that is lack of broadband in some parts of rural Ireland & the use of broadcasting tariffs from 2rn. 2rn has a problem in how it gives the broadcasters a tariff to broadcast it's services on Saorview. It uses a model that is charged on used/unused bandwidth that is designed from a charging system from Virgin Media Ireland. It's a very tough rigid system to use because if their is a scenario where if a service closes down transmission on Saorview. The broadcast tariff which is paid by them to 2rn can get an increase in the tariffs because of less services being offered on Saorview & Saorview Connect. So if RTÉ close the proposed services down to actually save money; it could be defined as a short term measure as the money used for closing the services in the first place down could effectively be wiped out for RTÉ by paying for increased tariffs to broadcast it's own services. That does effect other tariffs offered to other broadcasters like TG4, Virgin Media & Oireacthas TV. RTÉ also run services like Digital Aertel. I would say that can remain there along with RTÉ News Now until all types of people can get connected to fibre broadband in their homes via the NBP or can receive FTA Satellite via combi boxes/TVs or Freesat because EuroNews is broadcast via the dish on the 28.2 feed.

I also heard from an email on Thursday that the new RTÉ Player is now available on Saorview Connect.

I wonder how people are using that service via Saorview Connect. Do any of you have Saorview Connect boxes at home?

Brennan questioning whether his show is fit for purpose
    https://www.thesun.ie/tvandshowbiz/tv/4623240/rte-dermot-bannon-room-to-improve-responds-criticism/g a double negative

Should we stop doing the show but sure we saved people money on their heating as if that wouldn't happen anyway

Can you say faux pas

• Registered Users Posts: 40,006 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

fritzelly wrote: »
    Should we stop doing the show but sure we saved people money on their heating as if that wouldn't happen anyway

Getting an existing dwelling up to A Rating doesn't just "happen anyway".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Begs the question why are they sitting on assets like this when they are broke
    And "if" they get anywhere near the amount they think they will get it will still be gone in a second
    Anything rather than reform of wages and wastage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

retalivity wrote: »

If these are in RTÉ then they are owned by the tax payer, should they not be donated to a public art gallary or something like that? Not sold off so those wasters can pay more wages to idiots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

The fact they have an art collection in the first place says it all tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

tototoe wrote: »

I would expect it got donated to them over the years.....selling it to pay for a shower of wasters is bringing nothing to the tax payer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

One would imagine rte would at least cover the events the Irish are involved in at the world athletics. I wouldn't mean to have a team in Doha but at least relay it from another channel

• Registered Users Posts: 51,761 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

tototoe wrote: »

Above their station.

See what I did there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭bigroad

Great to hear George Lee during the week scaring the Sh1t out of people with his weather coverage.What does he cost 200k a year or something.You would have to wonder what's going on in that oh so private media club of theirs funded by the public no less.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,509 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I seen the SOR radio show one morning on the telly, RTE News Now.

Every now and again it would show an angle where you could see the behind the scenes staff. I counted at least 3 producers. Is it really necessary to have 3 to do this job? What do they actually do?

Does each show have their own behind the scenes staff? For example, would those 3 I seen have been working on the Ryan Tubridy Show between 9 - 10am, and then stay on for the SOR Show? Or do a whole new crew of researchers and producers come in?

I also heard the end of Saturday Sport today, I think they read out 4 names of support staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Break down the jobs

Peron A telecoms - phone links/screening social media feedback/"off tape" material
    Person B research - scanning archive material for segments, finding new info during show which relate to live discussion to illustrate or prove a point
    Person C - the live broadcast itself, coordination of the various elements so everything runs to time, adverting breaks get played out correctly, news is counted in and so on.

bigroad wrote: »
    Great to hear George Lee during the week scaring the Sh1t out of people with his weather coverage.What does he cost 200k a year or something.You would have to wonder what's going on in that oh so private media club of theirs funded by the public no less.

better to inform people of the accurate information that was available, give weather warnings and be thankful that the bad weather avoids the country, rather then say nothing, the weather hits, and there are injuries and deaths.

better to inform people of the accurate information that was available, give weather warnings and be thankful that the bad weather avoids the country, rather then say nothing, the weather hits, and there are injuries and deaths.

He played it up big time even when ME were saying they didn't know how it would play out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭bigroad

Met eireen are the people for that job they are the professionals in their field.
    We don't need Lee putting his own spin on it.

fritzelly wrote: »
    He played it up big time even when ME were saying they didn't know how it would play out

he would have simply read the information that was given to him.
    the only thing that matters is whether at the time, the information was accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,314 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

he would have simply read the information that was given to him.
    the only thing that matters is whether at the time, the information was accurate.

RTE have taken to using 'buzzfeed' as an accurate source of information...

Buzzfeed... *sigh*

They were slathering at the mouth when allegations that 'this report proves Russian collusion' were leaked.... by Buzzfeed...

I seriously question their obvious bias, they're two steps away from 'we know this information to be accurate-my mate Dave told me it is'.

Advertisement