Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,473 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

That and Twitter and Facebook
    Even their news studio is faux studio with a fake back news studio in the background
    You'd have to wonder how much they are paying people to research stories for them. Like the greyhound scandal that was already revealed years earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 33,509 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

better to inform people of the accurate information that was available, give weather warnings and be thankful that the bad weather avoids the country, rather then say nothing, the weather hits, and there are injuries and deaths.

So you think its ok to over exaggerate?

RTe played Lorenzo terribly. They have caused a lot of damage in peoples minds, and their next warnings won't be heeded as much.

They were afraid to say they got it wrong. Even the day after they were still trying to defend the indefensible.

It would have been better had they admitted they got it wrong. We're all adults, we'd have forgiven them.

I just wonder how much this storm cost RTe to put on? They had a lot of hotel bills, meals, expenses to pay for for a few nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,473 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

NIMAN wrote: »

RTe played Lorenzo terribly. They have caused a lot of damage in peoples minds, and their next warnings won't be heeded as much.

Let's hope we don't have a bit of snow this winter - they could bankrupt the country covering it

• Registered Users Posts: 33,509 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It was worrying coverage for me, a sign of things to come no doubt.

They are going to go full 'Daily Mail' everytime there is a storm approaching now for the next 5 months.

There was torrential rain this evening when I was on my commute, torrential. Roads were extremely wet, lot of surface water and dangerous conditions. It had been raining for a couple of hours, yet no warning. Far far worse than what I saw during Lorenzo.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

NIMAN wrote: »

They were afraid to say they got it wrong. Even the day after they were still trying to defend the indefensible.

It would have been better had they admitted they got it wrong. We're all adults, we'd have forgiven them.

I just wonder how much this storm cost RTe to put on? They had a lot of hotel bills, meals, expenses to pay for for a few nights.

they wouldn't have known that they were wrong until the time the warning ended. they could only go on the information they had.
    if people don't heed future weather warnings then i am afraid that is their own tough luck and they cannot blame anyone else if those warnings turn out to prove correct.
    at the end of the day, plenty of media were reporting the same information, that a warning was in place and that a storm was expected to hit certain areas of the country. thankfully it wasn't anything near what was originally feared but at least many of us would have been prepared had it hit, and it was correct that such information when available was reported.
    i see nothing here to be outraged about.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

As for the weather warnings, I can only think of a story from my youth 'The boy who cried Wolf'.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,006 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Jesus, blaming RTE for the weather.

We have hit a new level of moan.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

they wouldn't have known that they were wrong until the time the warning ended. they could only go on the information they had.
    if people don't heed future weather warnings then i am afraid that is their own tough luck and they cannot blame anyone else if those warnings turn out to prove correct.
    at the end of the day, plenty of media were reporting the same information, that a warning was in place and that a storm was expected to hit certain areas of the country. thankfully it wasn't anything near what was originally feared but at least many of us would have been prepared had it hit, and it was correct that such information when available was reported.
    i see nothing here to be outraged about.

What are you talking about man?! The point people are making - which you seem unable to grasp - is that George Lee didn't simply report the actual facts (as supplied by Met Eireann), but also added a huge 'OMG it's a deadly hurricane' spin that was unnecessary and inaccurate - something which was well known even then.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,879 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Boggles wrote: »

No. RTE ignored the actual forecasts & ran with the tabloid, sensationalist story. Forecasters were showing the storm degrading as George Lee was ramping it up & scaring people with the result that businesses lost a lot of trade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Blaming RTE for their apocalyptic coverage of the weather. Not the weather itself.

FFS...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Discodog wrote: »
    No. RTE ignored the actual forecasts & ran with the tabloid, sensationalist story. Forecasters were showing the storm degrading as George Lee was ramping it up & scaring people with the result that businesses lost a lot of trade.

Weren't Brennan's and avanmore's sales up though?

McGaggs wrote: »
    Weren't Brennan's and avanmore's sales up though?

Maybe :) But most businesses were hit. The roads around Galway were really quiet.

The worry is that, when a really dangerous storm comes along, no one will believe RTE. Manion & Lee have fallen into the classic US pattern of making weather dramatic news rather than focusing on the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,343 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I wonder was there a political nod to encourage the bad weather spin to dumb us down for the carbon budget on Tuesday.

What are you talking about man?! The point people are making - which you seem unable to grasp - is that George Lee didn't simply report the actual facts (as supplied by Met Eireann), but also added a huge 'OMG it's a deadly hurricane' spin that was unnecessary and inaccurate - something which was well known even then.
    Blaming RTE for their apocalyptic coverage of the weather. Not the weather itself.

FFS...

Par Exemple?

accept that isn't what happened.
    he reported the same as all other media were reporting.

accept that isn't what happened.
    he reported the same as all other media were reporting.

"Storm Lorenzo will bring high winds and heavy rainfall likely to cause flooding, power outages, fallen trees and damage to property when it arrives in Ireland."

"This thing is huge etc etc"

No mention of it filling, winds dropping dramatically etc.

https://www.rte.ie/news/weather/2019/1002/1079557-storm-lorenzo/

RTE shouldn't copy the tabloids who have a sensationalist weather story every week,

"Storm Lorenzo will bring high winds and heavy rainfall likely to cause flooding, power outages, fallen trees and damage to property when it arrives in Ireland."

"This thing is huge etc etc"

No mention of it filling, winds dropping dramatically etc.

https://www.rte.ie/news/weather/2019/1002/1079557-storm-lorenzo/

RTE shouldn't copy the tabloids who have a sensationalist weather story every week,

any other media i heard and read were reporting the same thing, that high winds and heavy rain were expected, and there were the possibility of powercuts.

any other media i heard and read were reporting the same thing, that high winds and heavy rain were expected, and there were the possibility of powercuts.

RTE aren't any other media. We should be able to trust their output.

RTE aren't any other media. We should be able to trust their output.

Yip, RTE should be able to tell us the future.

:rolleyes:

Yip, RTE should be able to tell us the future.

:rolleyes:

Met Eirann told the truth. The Weather forum here told the truth.

RTE took the truth & added a big lump of drama.

If RTE can't tell the future then they shouldn't be bigging up the drama.

• Advertisement

Met Eirann told the truth. The Weather forum here told the truth.

RTE took the truth & added a big lump of drama.

If RTE can't tell the future then they shouldn't be bigging up the drama.

So the quote below is your evidence that they added "a big lump of drama"?

Storm Lorenzo will bring high winds and heavy rainfall likely to cause flooding, power outages, fallen trees and damage to property when it arrives in Ireland

That was from Met Eireann and it happened.

Moaning for the sake of moaning??

So the quote below is your evidence that they added "a big lump of drama"?

Storm Lorenzo will bring high winds and heavy rainfall likely to cause flooding, power outages, fallen trees and damage to property when it arrives in Ireland

That was from Met Eireann and it happened.

Moaning for the sake of moaning??

Here is lots of real evidence

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058018456/33/#post111443047

• Registered Users Posts: 14,888 ✭✭✭✭elperello

All you RTE complainers can add Lorenzo to the national broadcasters rap sheet if you really insist.

As for me I battened down the hatches secured everything as best I could and went to bed and slept like a baby. When I awoke and saw that things were ok I was delighted.

The next time there are warnings I'll do the same and I don't care if a few TV presenters get a bit OTT.

Weather forecasting is a difficult business and until they get it down to an exact science I'm prepared to make the best of it and take precautions.

No it isn't. :confused:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

If ever there was a case of fake news, Lorenzo was it.

RTE must have spent a fortune covering what was essentially a non event. Then they have no money to cover the athletic world championships which was always a stable on RTE, or the 6 Nations, and need to stick repeats on their main channels.

Badly, badly run operation. They completely overhype some events and ignore others which deserve hype.

Extra money will be wasted as before, largely on wages to contractors and presenters.

Then they have no money to cover the athletic world championships which was always a stable on RTE

Yeah over 20 years ago. 1997 was the last time they covered it in full AFAIK.

It's rubbish, no one wants to watch it, not even where it is on.

No it isn't. :confused:

If you read the last couple of pages, on that thread, you will see a reasoned, expert assessment of RTE's coverage.

If you read the last couple of pages, on that thread, you will see a reasoned, expert assessment of RTE's coverage.

Expert after the storm? :D

Again, if you will, could you back up your statement that RTE were not truthful about the storm?

In your own time.

If ever there was a case of fake news, Lorenzo was it.

nope.
    fake news is news that is not accurate and can be proven so.
    news reported on the basis of (at the time) accurate information which was provided in good faith, which doesn't turn out to happen exactly as originally reported, is not fake news.
    rte, and other media, on the basis of information that was at the time accurate, reported that an event was expected to happen.
    RTE must have spent a fortune covering what was essentially a non event. Then they have no money to cover the athletic world championships which was always a stable on RTE, or the 6 Nations, and need to stick repeats on their main channels.

no . the people covering it would have been covering the weather anyway.
    Badly, badly run operation. They completely overhype some events and ignore others which deserve hype.

Extra money will be wasted as before, largely on wages to contractors and presenters.

so, they aren't over-hyping the events you want to be over-hyped? perhapse those events you want over-hyped, are actually the ones that don't deserve to be, rather then the ones you believe don't deserve to be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

nope.
    fake news is news that is not accurate and can be proven so.
    news reported on the basis of (at the time) accurate information which was provided in good faith, which doesn't turn out to happen exactly as originally reported, is not fake news.
    rte, and other media, on the basis of information that was at the time accurate, reported that an event was expected to happen.

No real issue with RTÉ reporting the news and information to hand. But what about after the storm? Questions put to Met Éireann.

Advertisement