Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ideas you have for improving the laws of the game.

• 04-05-2018 11:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Because I think that short corner time-wasting is one of the ugliest things in football, my idea would be to change the laws of the game so that if an attacking player enters the space for a short corner, then a defending player should be allowed to enter that space as well.

Discuss, mock, destroy, and post up your own ideas while you are at it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

As a Liverpool fan I think they could do some work around explaining the handball rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

Put a microphone on the ref and only the captains are allowed speak to him.

Anyone needing medical treatment must be substituted. If they can run off an injury then do it. If it's a head injury that stops them getting up then they shouldn't be allowed to continue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Yellow card for pulling out of or half hearted attempt at a tackle. Seems to be getting worse every year.

If I wanted to watch ballet dancing I'd go to wherever it is people go to watch ballet dancing matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

VAR being handed over to another official, like a TMO.

A clear signal from the on field ref that VAR is being used too, as a stadium going fans havent a notion whats happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Nobody can argue with decisions ala rugby, only captains can talk to the referee

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭drdidlittle

40 minute half with ref time keeper. Like rugby
    No off side outside line of large rectangle
    If injury put injured and tackler off pitch for min of two min or length of time treatment takes and restart game
    No subs after full time

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

• As above, ref's should be like they are in Rugby. No talking back, no cursing at them, only talks to the Captain etc... Harsh penalties to anyone who breaks the rules.
    • VAR should be challenges imo. 2-3 challenges per game. After that, tough luck.
    • Offside is offside. None of this not interfering with play stuff.
    • Time wasting gets punished more harshly.
    • Shielding the ball in defense. It's opstruction anywhere else on the pitch, why isn't it around the box?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Teach the referees the correct interpretation of the current rules, stop tinkering with the rest and stop adding additional layers of officiating.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

If injury put injured and tackler off pitch for min of two min or length of time treatment takes and restart game
    No subs after full time
    what is your logic with reducing to a 40 min half? it is not rugby.

No Offside outside of the box - No just no (get rid of the whole not interferring malarcky)

Injury - Why penalise the team that a player is not injured on especially if it was not a foul etc?

Subs to an extent I agree but if there is 6-7 mins injury time and a player gets injured then a sub should still be able to be made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

GavRedKing wrote: »

A clear signal from the on field ref that VAR is being used too, as a stadium going fans havent a notion whats happening.

100% on this it should be handled the same way as rugby in the stadium. They made a complete hash of it in the FA Cup this season and there needs to be some degree of common sense brought into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

1. A VAR challenge system. 1 per game. If team loses the challenge they are 'deducted' a sub, to cut out spurious challenges made in an attempt to just stop the game.

2. Players can be booked for simulation even if they are awarded the free. Cut out this nonsense of getting tapped on the toe and rolling around as if your shin has been broken in two.

3. In injury time players should have 15 seconds to get off the pitch if being substituted. If not, a full minute extra should be added on (or longer if a genuine injury obviously), to cut out time wasting.

4. Not actually changes to the laws, but proper enforcement of existing ones - players shielding the ball out of play must keep the ball within playing distance - handball law properly enforced - players getting booked for obvious dissent etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

We should rename this thread "like rugby...."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Tennis has a VAR type challenge system, think it could work in football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

My Dad likes to tell me in injury time of every game when the team makes a needless substitution with 1 minute left that he "doesn't think that should be allowed".

I kind of agree with him! Subs after 90 minutes are not allowed unless it goes in to extra time, obviously.

Nobody can argue with decisions ala rugby, only captains can talk to the referee

That works fine in rugby because the play is condensed in a single small area, and the ref and all the players are close by.

In soccer the captain may be a back or even a keeper and the play and ref may be the other in of the field when an incident happens, vise versa for a captain that's a forward obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

That works fine in rugby because the play is condensed in a single small area, and the ref and all the players are close by.

In soccer the captain may be a back or even a keeper and the play and ref may be the other in of the field when an incident happens, vise versa for a captain that's a forward obviously.

Maybe an elected player from each area of play? I.E one Defender, one midfielder and one forward can talk to the ref

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Time wasting could be cut out completely (or nearly completely) if the clock only moved when the ball was in play. Obviously you’d have to reduce the time of each half to 25 or 30 minutes (I’m sure there are stats for the average time a ball is in play).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I don't get the deference to Rugby Union. It's almost like rugby players don't also try to get away with everything they can as well including punches and stamps. But they respect the referee, so it's noble?

Ideally something to replace the throw-in, so much time is wasted with a succession of throw-ins and so little can be created from the vast majority of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

brevity wrote: »
    Put a microphone on the ref and only the captains are allowed speak to him.

Oh god, yes please. Such a simple change that would impact so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Forget about VAR and let refs ref....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Sin bins. If a player has been injured and substituted due to a bad/dirty foul, then I think it's fair for the fouling player to be punished during the course of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

greendom wrote: »
    Sin bins. If a player has been injured and substituted due to a bad/dirty foul, then I think it's fair for the fouling player to be punished during the course of the game.

Because that idea would be wide open to abuse.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

dfx- wrote: »
    I don't get the deference to Rugby Union. It's almost like rugby players don't also try to get away with everything they can as well including punches and stamps. But they respect the referee, so it's noble?

It's about giving the ref the respect they should get. Rugby refs still make mistakes, and I find them extremely frustrating at times in how they interpret some rules, but they are allowed to ref properly because they don't have players swarming them, talking back, shouting abuse at them etc...

Soccer refs just seem weak in comparison, and that's because they don't seem to be allowed to be stricter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Because that idea would be wide open to abuse.

not if being sent to the sin bin is mandatory whenever a yellow card is issued

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

No subs after full time

I agree with stopping the clock. This has been suggested within FIFA and studies show the ball is in play an average of 60 mins so they're looking at 2x 30 min halves. Throw ins and corners waste the most time apparantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

[ ] Laws.
    [x] Rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Change the current offside law. Penalising forwards for having a toenail offside is silly and very hard to judge using eyesight.
    I'd like to see day light or actual space used to differenciate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

gimli2112 wrote: »
    As a Liverpool fan I think they could do some work around explaining the handball rule.

I think it's quite clear what is being punished and it's about time too.

If you turn away from the ball and are making yourself bigger with your arms anywhere other than at your side then it's handball. Happened and happens too much players claiming accidental handballs due to the distance of the ball when they have lifted their arms into positions that make them bigger. I've certainly noticed a lot more United players going with their arms behind their back this season.

The Klavan one the other day wasn't a penalty I don't think though despite there being a slight movement, that one was too close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Mars Bar wrote: »
    My Dad likes to tell me in injury time of every game when the team makes a needless substitution with 1 minute left that he "doesn't think that should be allowed".

I kind of agree with him! Subs after 90 minutes are not allowed unless it goes in to extra time, obviously.

Timekeeping in general needs to be looked at. Just using the Liverpool and Roma game as an example as it's the most recent but 3 mins injury time, already light imo and in that time there was a penalty, goal and substitution and straight after the kick off he blew up. How does that make sense?

Henderson was down for about a minute in the 85th odd minute too afair.

Injury time is probably one of the biggest grievances I have with the officials.

The other night in the Real v Bayern game, 5 mins went up, its usually only 3 or 4 in the CL but Madrid were taking the p*ss at one stage with subs, think it was Asensio who took about 45secs to get off the pitch, Navas went down for a good 60secs after clearing out his box and the ref played on until well after the 96th minute and Muller was nearly in for a chance.

There would have been uproar if he scored but the ref, was correct to add the time, however, its usually not added on and another ref might have only added on 30 secs or more for Navas being down so it was refreshing to see that extra time being added on.

Maybe taking the time keeping out of the refs hands is the way to do, give it to the 4th official who runs his own stop watch and decides what time is added on.

From the moment the subs board goes up to the time between the players swapping should be added, whether its 10secs or 60secs.

Player down injured, as soon as the medical staff enter the playing area, start a clock, stop it once they leave the pitch.

Goal goes in, add on anytime between the goal being allowed to the time it takes to restart the game.

You'd probably end up with 5+ mins as the norm in the early days of the implementation but as soon as teams realise they're no advantage to gain from time wasting in these incidents and giving the opponent more time to come back, you'd see less time wasting, specifically around subs and fellas rolling around the floor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

GavRedKing wrote: »

All VAR decisions will be on big screens at the World Cup

osarusan wrote: »
    Because I think that short corner time-wasting is one of the ugliest things in football, my idea would be to change the laws of the game so that if an attacking player enters the space for a short corner, then a defending player should be allowed to enter that space as well.

Discuss, mock, destroy, and post up your own ideas while you are at it.

So what about free kicks, corner kicks are basically like free kicks should defending teams be allowed to step in closer to free kicks the idea is to punish the offending team

Move from 45 min halves to 35 minute halves but have the play clock properly managed from the sideline.

Lukker- wrote: »
    Maybe an elected player from each area of play? I.E one Defender, one midfielder and one forward can talk to the ref

Hockey has a rule only one player can ask the umpire a question, if players surround the umpire they can and will issue green cards which is 2 mins in the sin bin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

For time keeping, it's quite simple really. Just have the 4th official be the time keeper, he stops his watch any time there is an injury/substitution/arguing with the ref. And he also tracks it during injury time and adds stoppages to the end.

Also the team managers/coaches should be banned from talking/complaining to the 4th official. He is not there to serve them, his job is to help the referee.

As for handball law, it needs to be more clearly and explicitly defined because at present it is open to interpretation(depending if the handball is for or against your team :p).

Proper timekeeping without a reduction of the supposed length of the game will lead to matches running on for another 40 minutes or so. You need to reduce the aimed for time period in line with better time keeping for it to work unfortunately.

Ball is often in play for a mere ~60mins.

Liam O wrote: »
    3 mins injury time, already light imo and in that time there was a penalty, goal and substitution and straight after the kick off he blew up. How does that make sense?

Only the substitution is anyway relevant there.
    The penalty is just a deadball and has no more inherent expectation of extra time being added than for a corner or a freekick (albeit there'll always have to be enough time for the penalty to be taken).
    Goals have no automatic extra time either,e.g., there was three goals in the first half but only a minute added on, and no eyebrows would have been raised if zero had been added on.

I agree in general that the initial 3 minutes was light though, English referees seem better at declaring 5mins+ when justified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

If you are standing in an offside position then you are offside.

If the ball strikes your hand. It's handball.

Retrospective bans for any dive.

Retrospective punishment for poor refereeing. The players and managers are all punished retrospectively. I don't see why referees are abpve the law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

So what about free kicks, corner kicks are basically like free kicks should defending teams be allowed to step in closer to free kicks the idea is to punish the offending team
    The idea is to make it harder to time-waste by holding the ball right in the corner.

I don't really see the comparison with free kicks, because there has been no offence committed when a team is defending a corner, they are not being punished.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Why are fans trying to turn this into rugby? Watch Rugby if you love it so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭al87987

Timekeeping needs changing as many above mentioned.

Hockey style penalty shootouts would be a great change with a lot more variables in play.

The whole sub process needs review, don't think the game should halt, players leave via nearest exit and anybody not running and I mean running off the pitch is booked.

12-15 second shot clock in play after stoppages. Corners/free kicks/ throw ins/ goal kicks must restart within 15 seconds, its actually amazing how much time is wasted.

Goalkeepers must be treated like outfielders more, there is nothing in the rules which singles them out for special treatment yet you cannot challenge a keeper 50:50 in the air and they can also come out and completely clear out a box with reckless play and no repercussions.

Scrap Extra Time as its ****e, either go straight to pens or scrap pens also and do golden goal with reducing team numbers after 10-15 minutes ie 105 minutes = 10 a-side, 120 minutes = 9 a-side until a winner is scored. 1 Extra sub for golden goal matches.

Red cards for simulation, feigning injury and cynical fouling. For me these areas are places that the punishment is less than the reward on offer so people will continue to cheat as the punishment is not enough. None of this "take one for the team" sh*te, thats a fault in the laws of the game is all.

There are plenty more that need changing too but thats all for now.

al87987 wrote: »

The whole sub process needs review, don't think the game should halt, players leave via nearest exit and anybody not running and I mean running off the pitch is booked.

This is one I've thought myself as well. Not the 'must be running' part as people could be injured, but yes, get off the pitch at the closest point to you, none of this slowly edging towards halfway line.

osarusan wrote: »
    This is one I've thought myself as well. Not the 'must be running' part as people could be injured, but yes, get off the pitch at the closest point to you, none of this slowly edging towards halfway line.

One flaw with that is that you would now have a redshirted (or whatever colour jersey) player walking around the side of the pitch causing a visual interference for the opposition and the officials.

Its why when players are warming up on the sideline they can only do so in neutral colours.

One flaw with that is that you would now have a redshirted (or whatever colour jersey) player walking around the side of the pitch causing a visual interference for the opposition and the officials.

Its why when players are warming up on the sideline they can only do so in neutral colours.
    True enough, but easily solved if you really want to bring in the idea (say, with a few neutral coloured high-viz style things left around the perimeter of the pitch).

I think rolling subs should be a thing actually.

4th official can be advised whos coming off and whos going on.

Player coming off is beckoned over by the manager and replaced without stopping the game.

It happens all too often where a team will be making a sub and the player coming off will be aware its him and he'll be as far away as possible from the touchline and take his time getting there.

Hell, we used to do it at an amateur level when our manager told us, for example, we'd find out just before the sub is happening and swap flanks with the other winger/full back and make sure to be in as far away a position a possible when the sub is being made and take your time getting across the pitch, it wastes a small bit of time but infuriates the opponents, at the highest level, that must be amplified to the max.

Why are fans trying to turn this into rugby? Watch Rugby if you love it so much.

Because they have successfully tackled some of the issues that football suffers from. And many of us do indeed watch rugby (and a variety of sports) and the level of stupidity and illogic in the way football is run can be galling at times.

In GAA for the past two or so years they have become really strict on adding time for substitutes, they are now adding on x about of time for each at every sub, so games are running to 7 to 10 minutes extra to the standard 70.

It's a good move.

al87987 wrote: »
    Timekeeping needs changing as many above mentioned.

Hockey style penalty shootouts would be a great change with a lot more variables in play.

12-15 second shot clock in play after stoppages. Corners/free kicks/ throw ins/ goal kicks must restart within 15 seconds, its actually amazing how much time is wasted.

Goalkeepers must be treated like outfielders more, there is nothing in the rules which singles them out for special treatment yet you cannot challenge a keeper 50:50 in the air and they can also come out and completely clear out a box with reckless play and no repercussions.

Scrap Extra Time as its ****e, either go straight to pens or scrap pens also and do golden goal with reducing team numbers after 10-15 minutes ie 105 minutes = 10 a-side, 120 minutes = 9 a-side until a winner is scored. 1 Extra sub for golden goal matches.

Red cards for simulation, feigning injury and cynical fouling. For me these areas are places that the punishment is less than the reward on offer so people will continue to cheat as the punishment is not enough. None of this "take one for the team" sh*te, thats a fault in the laws of the game is all.

There are plenty more that need changing too but thats all for now.

They tried that in the first few years of MLS back in the '90s

Didn't catch on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Kiith wrote: »
    It's about giving the ref the respect they should get. Rugby refs still make mistakes, and I find them extremely frustrating at times in how they interpret some rules, but they are allowed to ref properly because they don't have players swarming them, talking back, shouting abuse at them etc...

Soccer refs just seem weak in comparison, and that's because they don't seem to be allowed to be stricter.

The headmaster/schoolchild dynamic is painful to watch amongst adults. Something that would be awful in football. The idea that the scrum gets retaken until the ref is happy with it is mad.

Seeing a free kick be taken and re-taken and re-taken until Wayne Barnes or Nigel Owens thought it to be good enough would be dreadful for example.

• Advertisement
Advertisement