Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ideas you have for improving the laws of the game.

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

If those adults act like annoyed school children when they don't get what they want, than they deserve to be treated that way. And there's nothing in soccer like the scrum, so it wouldn't happen like that.

Again, i have some major issues with rugby ref's, i just think there are elements to how they are treated that should be the same in soccer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I wasn't initially keen on the idea of a Challenge system for VAR but I am warming to it and would like to see one of the leagues try it out. I think it could add an interesting tactical element if you were to give each coach 2 challenges over 90 minutes. They would then have to use them very carefully.

Another thing I would try to stop players swarming around referees or engaging in backchat is to give the ref the authority to punish this behaviour by awarding the opposition the right to have a free-kick anywhere in the opposition's D - the arc just outside the box. The team given the free can place the ball anywhere in that D they so choose. We don't see the D used for much in football and I think this could be a good use for it.

Imagine the Clasico where Barca are given a free kick and Ramos and co. surround the ref complaining. Ref decides enough of that sh*t and gives Barca the right to a free-kick just outside Madrid's box. You'd soon see players cut that behaviour out rather than give Messi or Coutinho or whoever such a dangerous opportunity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Tippex

If you are standing in an offside position then you are offside.

If the ball strikes your hand. It's handball.

Retrospective bans for any dive.

Retrospective punishment for poor refereeing. The players and managers are all punished retrospectively. I don't see why referees are abpve the law.

Agree with all of the above.
    Refs especially need to be more transparent I think by miking them it will definitely help. they are treated in their own little bubble answerable to no-one essentially other than their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The players should be allowed to handle the ball and goals would be scored by applying downward pressure on the ball behind the goal line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Tippex

I wasn't initially keen on the idea of a Challenge system for VAR but I am warming to it and would like to see one of the leagues try it out. I think it could add an interesting tactical element if you were to give each coach 2 challenges over 90 minutes. They would then have to use them very carefully.

Another thing I would try to stop players swarming around referees or engaging in backchat is to give the ref the authority to punish this behaviour by awarding the opposition the right to have a free-kick anywhere in the opposition's D - the arc just outside the box. The team given the free can place the ball anywhere in that D they so choose. We don't see the D used for much in football and I think this could be a good use for it.

Imagine the Clasico where Barca are given a free kick and Ramos and co. surround the ref complaining. Ref decides enough of that sh*t and gives Barca the right to a free-kick just outside Madrid's box. You'd soon see players cut that behaviour out rather than give Messi or Coutinho or whoever such a dangerous opportunity.

The problem with giving refs authority to punish various behaviour (including swearing) will be problematic without them being mic'd as I am sure if a player has told the ref to "F himself" I would imagine the ref's have on more than one occasion said it back. so the refs need to be held to the same standard as the players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,107 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Muahahaha wrote: »
    The players should be allowed to handle the ball and goals would be scored by applying downward pressure on the ball behind the goal line.

Agreed, but only on fifteenth replay when it's proved they maintain control of the ball.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭POKERKING

I got two:

1) if both teams have a player sent off you can each bring a sub on. 10 v 10 kinda ruins the dynamics, i think you should both be able to go up to 11 v 11 if this happens.

2)During added time, only ball in play counts and its on a big board in the stadium. Nothing worse than three mins been added, one team make a sub milk a minute and ref blows up on exactly 93. Once the board goes up clock is stopped everytime it goes out of play. Simple

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,573 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Last goal wins and every time someone scores the goalies have to change. And get rid of crossbars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,641 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Last goal wins and every time someone scores the goalies have to change. And get rid of crossbars.

And you can only score with a header or volley

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

brevity wrote: »
    Put a microphone on the ref and only the captains are allowed speak to him.
    So we didn't learn from the cluster**** that is video reffing that copying rugby is a stupid idea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,206 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

So we didn't learn from the cluster**** that is video reffing that copying rugby is a stupid idea?

I mean, if you do something poorly, the result will be poor. Video reffing could be dramatically improved from its inaugural appearances in England, which we're already seeing by the statement that VAR decisions will be shown on stadium big screens at the World Cup, so fans can feel involved in whats going on. It still seems like its going to be only shown just after the decision is reached - which I think is a mistake. Should instead be keeping the fans engaged actively in real time wherever possible.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I mean, if you do something poorly, the result will be poor. Video reffing could be dramatically improved from its inaugural appearances in England, which we're already seeing by the statement that VAR decisions will be shown on stadium big screens at the World Cup, so fans can feel involved in whats going on. It still seems like its going to be only shown just after the decision is reached - which I think is a mistake. Should instead be keeping the fans engaged actively in real time wherever possible.
    What would be better would be if we just abandoned the idea entirely. Match going fans don't need a television to come to a conclusion on what they saw. Nor does the referee. As I've been saying for years, whether or not the decision is correct is not important, we just need a decision. Half the fun of football comes from incorrect decisions, but at least they are made quickly and by a person. What we've seen from video ref is that we still get **** decisions, there's just more people to blame and it takes a bit longer

Half the fun of football comes from incorrect decisions...

You thought the failure to spot the Henry handball was part of the fun of football?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Dario Faithful Klutz

Stop letting Mike dean reffing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Instead of 30 seconds added per sub, add 1 minute instead. So 6 subs in the second half is 6 min injury time. The subs take away towards 6 minutes from playing time anyway.

I'd prefer stopped clocks when the ball is out of play but 1 min per sub faster to implement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

I have what I think modestly is an absolutely genius idea. They should enforce the laws that are there.

Defender puts his arms around a forward at a corner - penalty kick thanks.

Ball is running out of play, player turns his arse on his opponent, jumping left and tight, using his arse as a lethal weapon making no attempt to play the ball until the ball goes out of play. No bother - free for obstruction.

Time is running out, player runs to corner flag. The lethal arse manoeuvre comes into play again. Free for ungentlemanly conduct.

20 minutes to go, team is one up. Players go down with toenail cramp and sprained hair. Substituted players haven’t the energy to even trot off. No problem, the clock stops while this fukkoligy is ongoing and ref plays 10 minutes additional time if necessary not 3 minutes if there was no serious injury and 4 if there was.

If (when) the fuukoligy continues in additional time. The ref plays whatever extra time is needed not wait until the last attack after the extra time is up is repelled to blow the whistle. The amount of extra time played shouldn’t depend on who has the ball.

Players surrounding the referee should be automatically yellow carded. Again no gentleman would do such a thing.

You thought the failure to spot the Henry handball was part of the fun of football?
    Yes. It gave the Irish football fan reason to play victim rather than just have us lose on penalties minutes later.

Yes. It gave the Irish football fan reason to play victim rather than just have us lose on penalties minutes later.

And that, for you, is the fun of football...getting to play victim?

It doesn't seem make much sense, it's almost as if you're throwing random sentences at it, wrong decisions are part of the fun of the game, fans being frustrated are part of the fun of the game...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,636 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

I don't have one for the rules of the game but I do have a suggestion for the league cup.

I think the competition should be changed to be only for teams who haven't qualified for Europe. Cut down on the amount of games the big clubs have to play while also giving a smaller team a chance to win a cup more often.

It would help imo to raise the importance of the FA cup as well as the European qualified teams would only have one domestic cup competition to play each season. The league cup would also then serve as a way for a new team to get into Europe each season giving fans of other clubs a chance to experience some European football every now and again and once you are in the Europa League who knows as it's not the strongest competition either.

As it stands I think two domestic cup competitions isn't working. They end up cancelling each other out and none of the big teams consider the league cup that important anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Forget about VAR and let refs ref....

So that everyone can continue to moan about all the refs poor decisions.........

• Advertisement

All VAR decisions will be on big screens at the World Cup

Using the Premier league as an example, how many grounds have screens?

dfx- wrote: »
    The headmaster/schoolchild dynamic is painful to watch amongst adults. .

Yes. Much better to maintain the current schoolyard group bullying, verbal abuse and physical intimidation
    system...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,521 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

For those close in frees right on the edge of the penalty box,the attacking team can move the ball back a yard or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

This will be controversial but I would like to see slide tackles banned completely. It does nothing but badly injure players.

Straight away people will start talking about how beautiful a slide tackle can be etc. but to be honest I think a lot of slide tackles are a cowardly cynical attempt at injuring another player.

It would limit injuries, limit stoppages for medical treatment, increase goal chances. If you are now wondering what a game without slide tackling would be like then just think about what it’s like when you play 5 aside on one of those sand covered surfaces.

GSPfan wrote: »
    . It does nothing but badly injure players.

They win the ball many many multiples of the amount of times they injure a player.

Get rid of tackling altogether and we can reduce frees right down too............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

This will be controversial but I would like to see slide tackles banned completely. It does nothing but badly injure players.

Straight away people will start talking about how beautiful a slide tackle can be etc. but to be honest I think a lot of slide tackles are a cowardly cynical attempt at injuring another player.

I genuinely couldn't think of a worse thing.

That’s more of a statement of your own shortcomings than a viable argument against the idea. Apart from a romantic notion that it is a fundamental part of the sport you need only look at Seamus Coleman as a recent example of how devastating it can be when it goes wrong. A fully grown man of 80-90kgs throwing himself at full speed at another mans ankles is insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,245 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Make it like tag rugby so.

The typical deflection counter reply to any rational statement is to exaggerate the original statement to an extreme version as a way of making it seem irrational.

The game can still be physical without the need of slide tackles. You can still tackle in every other way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Slide tackles are very effective whn executed properly. I can only speak for myself but I make a slide tackle when I've no chance of chasing a player down or bridging the gap in the meantime. I don't do it to injure a player and I reckon most players do it in the same way.

People throwing themselves full-force at another person is thuggish behaviour. Take slide tackles away from them and they'll find another way to demonstrate the thug in them.

Don't let the actions of a few ruin the game for the rest of us.

• Advertisement

Slide tackles are very effective whn executed properly. I can only speak for myself but I make a slide tackle when I've no chance of chasing a player down or bridging the gap in the meantime. I don't do it to injure a player and I reckon most players do it in the same way.

People throwing themselves full-force at another person is thuggish behaviour. Take slide tackles away from them and they'll find another way to demonstrate the thug in them.

Don't let the actions of a few ruin the game for the rest of us.

That’s a fair response but I bet you’ve slid tackled someone before knowing you are going to hurt them in the process. Everyone has. The reason everyone does it is because it’s relatively safe for the tackler but the risk to the tackled player is much greater. I don’t think any player tackles anyone with a leg breaking intent but yet it still happens. That’s my problem with it, it’s random at times as to the severity.

Forgetting the injury stuff you just said yourself you use it to recover a scenario when a player has got passed you, but when I watch football I want to see attacking players get more chances and slide tackles benefit defenders.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

How about taking away the goals and the winner gets decided on expected goals and possession?:)

Didn’t read all the previous posts but as we seem to like Rugby rules is there any merit in giving points for a team that scores a certain amount of goals in a game?

Lets say you can pick up an extra point in a game if you score 3 goals. Even a losing team can get points in that situation.

A good idea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,573 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Walls so the ball rarely goes out of play or if that's an issue in some grounds, just do away with field markings - good for the environment and brings the game back to the fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

ref microphone so that we know what is being said . we often see someone getting yellow for no obvious reason and we are left guessing.

automatic yellow card for going up to the ref after a free etc. auto red if touching or shouting at the ref. captain can only question the ref. make the ref go to them if a goolie etc

3 match ban for diving , added afterwards if the ref missses it

make a drw 2 points and a win 5 points. 1 extra point for every 20 goals scored. this will make it worth while for teams to try and score goals and not to sit back defending.

stop the clock for frees etc so that when we get to 90 the game is over

Didn’t read all the previous posts but as we seem to like Rugby rules is there any merit in giving points for a team that scores a certain amount of goals in a game?

Lets say you can pick up an extra point in a game if you score 3 goals. Even a losing team can get points in that situation.

A good idea?

I don't think the losing points thing is used into many sports outside rugby.

I must say the whole "you lost, but you were a good loser" might be useful in rugby where the lack of competition makes it relevant (how will Italian clubs pick up points in Europe? Arra give them some pat on the head for keeping the game close). Not sure if really translates to sports where they don't have think of novelty ideas to compensate for the disparity of ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,215 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'd like to see 2 yellows = red changed to 3 yellows = red.

Simply because people are getting yellows so easily now. Nearly every challenge that has any sort of bite in it is now a yellow. You can be a split second late, yellow. Chat back to ref, yellow. Take off your top when you score the winner in a cup final, yellow.

For me, make it 3 to get a red.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

I think all throw ins should become kick ins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Plexiglas 4 feet out from the byline. As high as you can regulate. Wooden dividers around the 2 feet mark, enough for the assistant. Two feet ish. Any ball that ends up over either when it is on the ground results in a throw in from the byline. Any foul past the byline, the free is moved to the line. Otherwise play ball.

Goal is to keep the view for the crowd without reducing attendance while keeping the game in play as much as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,732 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

It to much of an advantage when you have a pacy forward. It's too easy to just give the ball to a fast striker and run past the defence

Stop making it so easy to score to from lofted through balls

Bring back the 5 a side indoor mode

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

10 minute sin bin for any fouls that are deemed intentional. There should never-ever be a case of where the infringing team are better off after a foul. It happens so regularly with cynical fouls or "good yellow cards".

Actually enforce the goal keeper 6 second rule.

Ban short corners. The ball must travel 10 yards.

Create a shot clock for free kicks. If the Free Kick isn't taken within X amount of seconds the ball gets pushed forward 10 yards. It's up to the defending team to build a wall, not the ref.

A throw-in must be taken within 5 seconds of the ball entering a players hands. Cannot be handed off to another player.

Shielding the ball in the corner to be deemed obstruction.

Play to continue on for injuries, unless the ref deems it to be a severe injury (broken bones, player unconscious etc) the physio can do his/her work whilst the came goes on around them.

All in all, just quicken the game up. It's too slow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Either start pulling players up for foul throws consistently or do away with it as a punishable offence. I watched United vs Brighton on Friday, Young and Bong in particular can't throw the ball properly, so blatant too.

Mic up the ref, cuts back on the abuse of the ref, allows us to hear their decisions. I think, though, they know they get it wrong a lot of the time (they're human and its a fast paced game) so they know they'll get dragged over the coals by the top top pundits.

Blood subs, I've said this before, I think it's unfair that a team can potentially suffer whilst being down to 10 men while some poor sod goes off for staples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

The one rule i want is to stop the clock like rugby, and then when 45 minutes have been played next time the ball goes out of play the half is over

Advertisement