Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ed Sheeran disruption - from Friday 11th till Sunday night

Options
  • 04-05-2018 11:40am

http://connachttribune.ie/salthill-goes-into-lockdown-for-ed-009/
    'There will be eight points along the 5km cordon perimeter blocking vehicular access to non-residents, stretching from Taylor’s Hill Road on the north side to Leisureland on the south and as far as Threadneedle Road on the west side over to Lower Salthill Road on the east.'
    No map on the Galway City Council website.
    No map in yesterday's Connacht Tribune.

If I see a map of the affected area online I will share it here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Goofy

The Galway City Tribune say that they have a map on their online edition but you have to subscribe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

The city council should really be informing people of potential distruption adhead of time

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Based on what you posted, here's a first cut of a likely map. Unofficial. Drafty as.

I count ten points they'd need to block ....

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1z8ApjpyzhNaHfQkvyxjEdL4_NKb0StmS&usp=sharing

l think its the event promoter who should be ecplaining to the residents, not the council ....

I noticed today that Irish Rails website says there will be an extra train (12:15am to Athlone, serving all stations), and also a shuttle bus from AIB Eyre Square to the Aquarium. This likely means BE will be running the bus service.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Maybe the gaa or Aiken promotions have a map on their sites?

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Sconsey

From the article: Following a canvass of the area by the GAA this week, information sheets were hand delivered to homes within the cordon.

Correction: information sheets were hand delivered to some homes....I didn't get one nor my neighbors (Rockbarton area), first details I heard about restrictions was on here so thanks for posting.

That is a helluva cordon, I hope Aiken is paying for the overtime :)

If I do get the information sheet I'll post here.

• Advertisement

Sconsey wrote: »
    From the article: Following a canvass of the area by the GAA this week, information sheets were hand delivered to homes within the cordon.

Correction: information sheets were hand delivered to some homes....I didn't get one nor my neighbors (Rockbarton area), first details I heard about restrictions was on here so thanks for posting.

That is a helluva cordon, I hope Aiken is paying for the overtime :)

If I do get the information sheet I'll post here.

I'm sure if you do get it (going on my experience of being a croke pk resident) it will be full of thanks for your patience, look at all the good it's doing your local businesses and we'll do our best.

Already sounding alarm bells for me, where are the facilities and parking, my fam there not so patient about ppl parking/pooing/vomiting in their gardens or keeping them awake as the homeward fans share the happy loudly at silly o clock in the am.

gaa(lack of capitalisation deliberate) should have paid the local free paper or postman to deliver this flyer re the inconvenience to locals IF they were serious about informing everyone. Bet they'll be happy to hand off any complaints to the promoters. Who may or may not give a cr*& about how the locals feel now the tickets are paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Silly o clock in the am? Is it not over around 1030/11? There's nowhere there to stop for a drink so I doubt anyone will be hanging around.

Silly o clock in the am? Is it not over around 1030/11? There's nowhere there to stop for a drink so I doubt anyone will be hanging around.[/QUOTE

I don't know the arrangements, from experience it can take ages for ppl to file out of the stadia, walk back to their cars/taxi's or to the prom. 11 pm can be late for some residents of that area tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

We live within the cordon and the Pearse Stadium Committee delivered a comprehensive 6 page document in regard to the arrangements for the concerts. See attached map of road closures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

The Darkness into light charity walk is taking place in the early hours of Saturday morning - that’s going to be affected by this cordon too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭andy85wsm

This post has been deleted.

andy85wsm wrote: »

I'd say you will be able to drive all the way up by the prom (though traffic could be very slow later on in the evening).
    Might be worth considering approaching from Westside, drop off before the top of Rahoon hill, very close to stadium and probably easier to drive away from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭andy85wsm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Are the residents of the area getting any sort of compensation for the disruption they'll be experiencing?

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

Red_Wake wrote: »
    Are the residents of the area getting any sort of compensation for the disruption they'll be experiencing?

Yes, they get to listen to a live concert from their own homes

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mjp

I have been told from salthill gardai that the prom will be open to traffic and that it's only the adjoining roads that will require permits.

buzz11 wrote: »

So that's a no then.

Pretty poor form from Aiken, families with young kids will have difficulty due to the loud music.

So that's a no then.

Pretty poor form from Aiken, families with young kids will have difficulty due to the loud music.

Why on earth should someone be compensated? They are living in a city, events happen thats part and parcel of it. Tough luck if your kids cant sleep for a few extra hours on two nights in the whole year.

If you want to avoid this sort if thing live rurally or else man up and get over it. Compensation culture is sickening.

These are brilliant events for the city, its people and the local economy yet there is always a one or two who look to be offended and would prefer nothing happened in the town at all.

buzz11 wrote: »

In this case that sounds more like a punishment than any sort of compensation.

So that's a no then.

Why on earth should someone be compensated? They are living in a city, events happen thats part and parcel of it. Tough luck if your kids cant sleep for a few extra hours on two nights in the whole year.

If you want to avoid this sort if thing live rurally or else man up and get over it. Compensation culture is sickening.

These are brilliant events for the city, its people and the local economy yet there is always a one or two who look to be offended and would prefer nothing happened in the town at all.

For the inconvenience. If you live beside a GAA pitch, you expect a bit of a noise on a Saturday afternoon, you don't sign up for some racket blaring til all hours of the morning waking up the kids. And half cut revellers riding in the bushes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Meeeee79

I am all for events like this in the city, gives the city a great name and great buzz around the place. I do think though that it should be better communicated to residents what the restrictions are. I live within the cordon and have had no leaflet or information given to me other than what is found online.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I know people whose work is being put out by this. I agree about great buzz for the city (regardless of who the act is ;) ) but yes, give half price or free tickets to all residents effected by the blocks. They can sell them if they want. Electric Picnic does that for the people of Stradbally.

Residential Salthill isn't exactly the middle of town either. People expect matches but this is much bigger. The main thing is let people know earlier and in a better way, not via a paper that everyone doesn't even get.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,658 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

For the inconvenience. If you live beside a GAA pitch, you expect a bit of a noise on a Saturday afternoon, you don't sign up for some racket blaring til all hours of the morning waking up the kids. And half cut revellers riding in the bushes.

You seem to be convinced that this weekend is going to be akin to Woodstock in the 60s.

Set up your camera and record some people riding in the bushes. Sell it to a paper and/or ad adult movie site and get your €250. Compensation sorted.

Its two nights ffs, people are gone so soft nowadays.

So that's a no then.

All hours of the morning? Is it not finished at 030 or 11pm?

First, you do sign up for it as the stadium is a concert venue.

Second, it's over by 11pm

The GAA matches are a much bigger inconvenience and regularly cause problems with residents blocked in, blatant abandonment of vehicles, paths blocked, etc

First, you do sign up for it as the stadium is a concert venue.

Second, it's over by 11pm

The GAA matches are a much bigger inconvenience and regularly cause problems with residents blocked in, blatant abandonment of vehicles, paths blocked, etc

Not as black and white as you make it out to be...

First, most people did not sign up to it, it became a concert venue in the last 10 or 15 years, look at the age profile of the people in the area. They did not 'sign up for it'.

Second, the construction started last week, the noise and disruption is not just for the duration of Ed's set. Do you think all the punters will disappear at 11 pm? that's when the craic starts for a lot of residents...you probably haven't see all the bars they are putting in, the truck loads of kegs started arriving today. There will be a few thousand, well oiled people, in no hurry to quietly disappear at 11pm.

I do agree that the GAA matches are a pain in the arse a lot of the time, lack of enforcement by the gardaí being a big issue. But I do think (hope) they will be on their game for the concerts.

Meeeee79 wrote: »
    Anyone on here who lives within the cordon get their resident/visitor passes for entry yet? Think I read somewhere they were being handed out Mon/tues.
    Tue/Wed at the latest he was told when he was there last week, he was also told to hang on to it as it will be needed "again"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

The Darkness into light charity walk is taking place in the early hours of Saturday morning - that’s going to be affected by this cordon too.

The Darkness, are they supporting. :D:D:D

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

In fairness, I worked a couple of the early gigs in the stadium (Dylan and Adams) and people leaving was a very minor problem. Most left the area as soon as the band finished. The bars had closed early so there was no reason to hang around.
    After the Brian Adams concert I actually made it into the Village for a sneaky pint by about half twelve and the only people I met were a few harmless couples in Salthill Park and a few rowdy lads opposite The Prom.
    I know the demographic is different this time but I presume the security measures are in place for that.
    Aiken isn't going to put his reputation/future profits at risk by messing this one up.

Advertisement