Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Trampoline to go for?

Options
  • 04-05-2018 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone could advise on which of these trampolines to go for....

Jump Power 10ft trampoline from Smyths for 149.99

Sportspower 10ft trampoline from Argos for 149.99

Plum 10ft trampoline from Tescos for 150.00

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭wiseoldelf

bought the Jump Power 10ft trampoline last week, for a 8 and a 5 year old.... handy enough to put together and is stable.... kids love it...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I would say in general...don't get a trampoline. They're a liability, especially when more than one person is using it. Check if your house insurance covers accidents on a trampoline. I read last year that an insurer has stipulated that injuries on trampolines and bouncy castles were not covered.

But if you're getting one, the Smyths one looks like the better design.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,585 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thats a big of a killjoy attitude.

I just bought the 10ft one from Smyths for £89.99, put it together couple of days ago, and the 3 kids haven't been off it in 2 full days, having great fun. Weather helping of course, but at least they will get another few days out of it too before the rain arrives.

I know the number of broken bones go up with the arrival of trampolines (I remember a surgeon in hospital telling me the no. of young kids he was seeing had rocketed, that was about 10yrs ago), but many of those were back in the days when they had no safety net on them. Most of them now have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

NIMAN wrote: »

I just bought the 10ft one from Smyths for £89.99, put it together couple of days ago, and the 3 kids haven't been off it in 2 full days, having great fun. Weather helping of course, but at least they will get another few days out of it too before the rain arrives.

I know the number of broken bones go up with the arrival of trampolines (I remember a surgeon in hospital telling me the no. of young kids he was seeing had rocketed, that was about 10yrs ago), but many of those were back in the days when they had no safety net on them. Most of them now have one.

Less broken bones as a percentage, but more head injuries and sprains. My son broke his ankle on one a couple of years back and still has trouble with it. In general, they are too small for more than one person to use.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's a bit of an unusual question for a gardening forum anyway.
    what sort of soil do trampolines prefer? acid/alkaline, clay or sandy?
    do they prefer shade?

• Advertisement

I'm sure they will have an impact on your lawn if left in the same spot all summer, so technically it is a gardening question !!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 PurpleJulie

Thanks, I appreciate hearing other user opinions!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Educate the kids in using it as much as possible and you’ll be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I'm sure they will have an impact on your lawn if left in the same spot all summer, so technically it is a gardening question !!

Just move it every so often and cut the bejaysusing grass out of it underneath :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

How big is lawn? hundred of second hand trampolines going for next to nothing as people bought big and soon get tired of it as blocking the whole lawn....

I have a 13ft but then I have close to acre but the thing is massive, have to move maybe once every 2 weeks to cut grass and it is very awkward.

In terms of broken bones, best advice, do not let older and younger kids play at same time on it. That is personal but also heard professionals say the same, I have kids and at party you will have ages from 2 - 10. The kids from 2-4 are ok as they hardly bounce. then the older kids get on and are jumping high, the young ones are just bouncing balls....

The trampoline is great investment and no matter what time of the year the kids will flock to it, but as mentioned, dont buy big just because they are cheap, size it properly and basic rules when used with loads of people around

Maybe check the second hand section, I seen an 8ft going for free on facebook the other day and it was pristine....they just wanted someone to take

P.S on an evening like tonight there is nothing better than a good jump around on it for yourself :-) it can actually be a great little workout :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Nets help but I think accidents are kids falling on each other, or just simply falling awkwardly. So you have to police trampolines a fair bit.

Anyone know anywhere that fixes the stitching on them. Seems a shame to junk the whole thing because it needs a minor repair. Maybe you can order the fabric part on its own?

beauf wrote: »
    Nets help but I think accidents are kids falling on each other, or just simply falling awkwardly. So you have to police trampolines a fair bit.

Anyone know anywhere that fixes the stitching on them. Seems a shame to junk the whole thing because it needs a minor repair. Maybe you can order the fabric part on its own?

Amazon

I bought house and in shed was the steel part and bouncing part of 13ft trampoline. The netting and the protector was in bits.

I put together and bought the netting and protector from Amazon, wasn't huge money. Trampoline is perfect now and looks brand new.

Some Irish companies supply as well but more expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ceikiv

We got a Plum trampoline from Tesco last year. It is smaller than the one you are looking at but it has been fine for two young boys. Most important thing for us was that the springs were on the outside of the net and that the net had a zip closure so the kids could close it themselves. I have seen the toggle variety and parents are forever opening and closing!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Sister got a big enough one for the kids, dug a hole in the ground so that the trampoline is flush with the ground around it. Obviously only an option for bigger gardens but reduces some risk.

Mooooo wrote: »
    Sister got a big enough one for the kids, dug a hole in the ground so that the trampoline is flush with the ground around it. Obviously only an option for bigger gardens but reduces some risk.

Did she sort drainage under it?

I had considered that, as I seen one locally, but apparently the guy who put it in spent plenty getting drainage sorted, otherwise you could end up with a swimming pool underneath it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Or you could look at it a different way. You don't get one, so your kid doesn't get used to a trampoline, then goes on the neighbours and gets injured because they are unfamiliar with it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Would also buy a power hose for cleaning it down every summer!!

I had considered that, as I seen one locally, but apparently the guy who put it in spent plenty getting drainage sorted, otherwise you could end up with a swimming pool underneath it.

A net stops them falling off. The injuries are from awkward falls on the trampoline. Not falling off it. Though I'm sure that happens occasionally too.

I don't get the point of digging a hole.It's a lot of effort and maintenance for nothing imo. Maybe old wives tail but some suggest is a haven for small animals rodents etc.

Would also buy a power hose for cleaning it down every summer!!

Have a power hose but never needed to clean the trampoline. Maybe it's if you have it near trees.

Destroys the grass underneath though.

• Advertisement

Brother has it done, didnt do any drainage underneath it....doesn't seem to have any issues with it....I was planning on doing it but then I didn't bother as I didn't want a 13ft hole in garden:p

Also remember, you need a 13ft wide hole in your garden, plus it would likely have to be maybe 3ft deep at least to allow the trampoline surface to go down when kids are jumping on it.

Thats a big quantity of soil to dig out. I wouldn't fancy it.

Also remember, you need a 13ft wide hole in your garden, plus it would likely have to be maybe 3ft deep at least to allow the surface room to go down when kids are jumping on it.

Thats a big quantity of soil to dig out. I wouldn't fancy it.

Digger only option....he had a mini digger onsite for driveway and got the guys to do it....as you mention that is a hell of a lot of soil...not just to dig out but also to put somewhere else....

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Digger only option....he had a mini digger onsite for driveway and got the guys to do it....as you mention that is a hell of a lot of soil...not just to dig out but also to put somewhere else....

Only thing is, stick an advert on DoneDeal or local classifieds, someone always looking for soil.

Only thing is, stick an advert on DoneDeal or local classifieds, someone always looking for soil.

I am always looking for soil :P could do with a tonne

Best to plan, soil ain't cheap as I am finding out....if you are digging it out already have a plan to build up a flower bed or something...I would not be giving away soil for free if good quality

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Drainage was fine, again rural location plenty space out the back and to put the soil elsewhere. Done when a minidigger was hired for other jobs. Filled around it so no space to go under it for small people. They have the net too which would stop smaller ones from going out dunno about older kids. Hers are only 3 and 6 and one on the way so falling off a bigger risk at that age I assume.
    Dunno figures of people hurt but it could be It's more a case of 12 to15 year olds pushing boundaries as to what they're doing if what we were at at that age is anything to go off, and tbh all you can do is hope or teach them to have the cop on when not to do something stupid

Anyone I know just fell awkwardly or one kid falling on another. Accidents.

Its a lot of physical activity. Injuries will happen. Even just using it normally.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/7-terrifying-statistics-trampoline-safety-everett-sanderson/

I don't know where they got these stats. Maybe here

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/pediatrics/early/2016/07/28/peds.2016-1236.full.pdf
    Falling
    off was a less common mechanism
    at trampoline parks (4%) than has
    been reported on home trampolines
    (27%–39%)
    n. One trampoline design that
    has been shown to reduce injury
    is a “soft-edge trampoline” design
    that has no springs on the jumping
    surface and includes a netted
    enclosure without rigid supports

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

I dont get the point of putting it in a hole. Is it to make it less of an eyesore or is it to use it without the net?

donegal. wrote: »
    I dont get the point of putting it in a hole. Is it to make it less of an eyesore or is it to use it without the net?

You dont put in a hole....it is level with the ground.....you dig a hole so when the children bounce they can actually bounce :p

I find one of the most dangerous bits is when they all try to flood out of it at ocne because it is onto the next thing....this removes that

Also from outside the house, if level with ground you can't actually see it(if not netting around it)

It is is off the ground you can always see it.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,070 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

donegal. wrote: »
    Both.

Advertisement