Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Trampoline to go for?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

Anyone any experience in putting it into the ground / level with.

Trying to figure out what size hole to dig.

12 feet by 10 feet trampoline. 1m off the ground on it's legs.

I'm guessing max 1m in the middle, how much at the edges?

NIMAN wrote: »
    Did she sort drainage under it?

I had considered that, as I seen one locally, but apparently the guy who put it in spent plenty getting drainage sorted, otherwise you could end up with a swimming pool underneath it.

Ours is sunken so it's flush with the grass. The easy way to sort drainage is to just dig a smaller cube out of the base (called a sump hole), away from the legs, and leave a sump/pump in there permanently. Cost me €20 for the pump, it think.
    GaryCocs wrote: »
    Anyone any experience in putting it into the ground / level with.

Trying to figure out what size hole to dig.

12 feet by 10 feet trampoline. 1m off the ground on it's legs.

I'm guessing max 1m in the middle, how much at the edges?

There are two considerations. You need to leave enough space for the air to escape or the 'bounciness' is greatly reduced. You also don't want the space big enough for kids and/or vermin to get in/out.

When we got ours put in, the builder dug two channels and put L-shaped pipes in that lead from the cavity under the trampoline bed to a space just beside the trampoline at garden level. These have a sort of mushroom lid on them, and double up as an excellent spot to store the power lead for the pump mentioned above.

The cavity needs to be the same depth all the way around. No point having the corners higher than the center. We measured the height of the trampoline and used that as the basis for the hole. Lined the sides with cavity blocks. A bit of cement in the corners of the base which we placed the legs in while still wet, so there's a groove for them to sit in and there's minimal movement while bouncing around. To be honest, if i was doing it again I'd just dig the hole 8 inches short so there's a small gap between the top of the tramp and the grass, as it still affects how bouncy the trampoline is.

Ours is sunken so it's flush with the grass. The easy way to sort drainage is to just dig a smaller cube out of the base (called a sump hole), away from the legs, and leave a sump/pump in there permanently. Cost me €20 for the pump, it think.

There are two considerations. You need to leave enough space for the air to escape or the 'bounciness' is greatly reduced. You also don't want the space big enough for kids and/or vermin to get in/out.

When we got ours put in, the builder dug two channels and put L-shaped pipes in that lead from the cavity under the trampoline bed to a space just beside the trampoline at garden level. These have a sort of mushroom lid on them, and double up as an excellent spot to store the power lead for the pump mentioned above.

The cavity needs to be the same depth all the way around. No point having the corners higher than the center. We measured the height of the trampoline and used that as the basis for the hole. Lined the sides with cavity blocks. A bit of cement in the corners of the base which we placed the legs in while still wet, so there's a groove for them to sit in and there's minimal movement while bouncing around. To be honest, if i was doing it again I'd just dig the hole 8 inches short so there's a small gap between the top of the tramp and the grass, as it still affects how bouncy the trampoline is.

I'd prefer to avoid going the retaining wall route if possible as that's a lot of cavity blocks.

I was thinking of taking off the legs and resting the top outer frame on the grass Sloping the hole inwards from there.

Good idea about the air, will dig trench for vents too so.

Can dig trench for drain at the bottom too as the garden is raised higher than the house.

Here's as much as I can show without violating anyone's privacy. You can see the two black 'mushroom lid' things for the air release at the top and bottom of the photo. They are 6" pipes running straight down into the ground, then 90 degree turn into the cavity under the trampoline. So basically an L shape at either side.

479656.jpg

Here's as much as I can show without violating anyone's privacy. You can see the two black 'mushroom lid' things for the air release at the top and bottom of the photo. They are 6" pipes running straight down into the ground, then 90 degree turn into the cavity under the trampoline. So basically an L shape at either side.

479656.jpg

Black rubber mat surround looks good too.

Any worries about landing on the metal support bar and clunking their head off it? Padded I know.

• Advertisement

The rubber mats are great, alright. I have to do a job on them this summer as I didn't level the soil under them properly, so most of them dip in the middle and collect a bit of rainwater, which makes them damp and prone to becoming mossy. I'll lift them all and rake a bit of sand across so everything is slightly sloping towards the pit, might make the landings a bit softer too.

Never had an issue with the support bars, the padding normally covers everything. I'm looking for new padding at the moment, as the two air hole aren't enough to be honest. The padding tends to 'flap' a bit, even though it is strapped down. Looking at something that is vented already, like this kind of setup.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

Back to the original point. We bought one of the Jump Power ones from Smyth's because of how they have the easy up/easy down net around them. It's proven invaluable even in the past two weeks - we had it up for the fine Easter weekend, then were able to quickly take it down again for the high winds of the following weekend, and we put it up again after that.

Worth considering if you haven't actually bought one yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

To be honest none is my answer. My daughter broke her arm on ours. I got rid of it the next day!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

Knine wrote: »
    To be honest none is my answer. My daughter broke her arm on ours. I got rid of it the next day!

Read the thread title and thought 'none!' Glad someone else feels the same!:D Sorry it's not the reply you might be looking for OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Ult1mat3X

I would look at https://wisepick.org/best-trampoline-for-adults/. The tramps are expensive, but they are super bouncy, the best garden tramp I know is Upper Bounce. Here are some edits to prove it :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qe6xFXl7j4

And a landed triple without dub bounce or crossed springs:
    https://youtu.be/xeyV6aVKI5U?t=1m3s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Old thread I know but my two cents.
    Kids break bones and injure themselves all the time, well they should, it's the sign of an active kid. A trampoline is actually a great workout for them and lots of fun.
    It needs to be setup and used safely however.
    We have a 13 ft one with nets from Smyth's for almost 4 years. Well anchored down and we always supervise the kids as they use it. A great workout for them and the most used thing they have.
    We take the nets and poles down over the winter.
    I've had to replace a few X joints and will need a few new bits but easily got.
    Wouldn't be for sinking it. A lot of additional work.
    Don't really care too much about its effect on the grass or garden. The kids are only young once

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Lizardlegz

Hi all, I posted in the parenting form but not really any comments there.

Just looking for some advice. Our number 1 choice would be the BERG 12ft tramp. However, the bergs are pretty expensive and coming in at around €600 for the cheapest one! I’m just wondering if the cheaper ones are just as handy?

I’m looking at smyths, Argos and Homebase. They’re coming in a lot cheaper. Can pick up a good size one for between €150-250.

If anybody has bought from any of the above would really appreciate advice or recommendations and if they lasted and we’re good quality and safe etc. Thank you!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

What the feck has this got to do with gardening? :D

What the feck has this got to do with gardening? :D

That’s what I thought.... but the gardening forum seems to have way more answers than the parenting... so maybe it was a good choice 🀣

Anyone??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

We've gotten ones in Lidl/Aldi/Argos when the price is right.

All are for for the purpose until a gale comes and blows it I to the next field

Our last one lasted 3 years and is now used to allow the chickens out into grass :)

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Fleetwoodmac

Lizardlegz wrote: »

Just looking for some advice. Our number 1 choice would be the BERG 12ft tramp. However, the bergs are pretty expensive and coming in at around €600 for the cheapest one! I’m just wondering if the cheaper ones are just as handy?

I’m looking at smyths, Argos and Homebase. They’re coming in a lot cheaper. Can pick up a good size one for between €150-250.

If anybody has bought from any of the above would really appreciate advice or recommendations and if they lasted and we’re good quality and safe etc. Thank you!!

We got an inground trampoline from frank.de .. they have several, free delivery. Think the inground are much safer for little ones.. and looks nicer in garden and no risk of blowing away!

We got an inground trampoline from frank.de .. they have several, free delivery. Think the inground are much safer for little ones.. and looks nicer in garden and no risk of blowing away!

Hiya, thank you. Agree about the unground.... however... I don’t think we could go about sorting a whole big enough for a 12ft. We’d need to get a digger in.

Have decided to go for the 12.5ft berg trampoline. It’s expensive but apparently great quality. Thanks all x

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Fleetwoodmac

Hiya, thank you. Agree about the unground.... however... I don’t think we could go about sorting a whole big enough for a 12ft. We’d need to get a digger in.

Have decided to go for the 12.5ft berg trampoline. It’s expensive but apparently great quality. Thanks all x

We have a 14ft... didn't need to big a huge hole... got the teenager and his friends to do most of it albeit with the bribe of money

We have a 14ft... didn't need to big a huge hole... got the teenager and his friends to do most of it albeit with the bribe of money

Lol, my oldest is 7.... it would take him and his friends about a year... xx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 darthlogan

Hi - the Berg ones are premium. The other ones might do the job, but as the man says - "you gets what you pays for."

Advertisement