Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dwarf tree/shrub for tall pot

Options
  • 04-05-2018 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭

Well... pot...

I have an old metal bin that you burn things in, that I actually use as a pot occasionally. I have used it for sunflowers, and bedding plants before, but this time I would like to plant a small tree or shrub.
    https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/416GfnhYMfL._SY355_.jpg

I would prefer a flowering tree, and I just happen to have a 3 ft wisteria that needs repotting. Only thing is that it is a pretty exposed spot in the garden, and we're 190 m asl so we do get quite a bit of frost/snow in the winter.

Would a wisteria survive as a dwarf tree if I pruned it regularly ? Would the roots be happy enough growing more vertically ? Support could be arranged later if needs be in that spot.

What would you suggest if the above is not a good bet ?

A dwarf cherry ?

Any shrubs that would prune neatly and produce nice flowers ?

edit : if a shrub/tree is definitely not a good idea, I'm probably going to plant either a pink Astilbe I bought this morning, or a red poker also newly bought, that is only a tiny thing right now and won't flower this year. This is a very visible spot and I want something really cheerful and colourful to look at.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I'll update in case anyone's ever looking for similar.

I planted a Labrador Tea, a little hardy bush kind of like a small rhodedendron, with really pretty white flowers, that will stay in leaf in the winter, and is common in Greenland, Newfoundland, etc... so it should be well able for the colder temperatures here and the exposed spot (might stick a little fleece on it if it gets well into the minuses for the buds). It's a lovely little shape, it can grow up to 50 cm or so, so the size would be perfect, but even if it stays small it looks nice.

And I sprayed the bin in a greenish textured tone, it looks great.

450088.JPG

Advertisement