Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Torque for Fizik Saddle

Options
  • 04-05-2018 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a Fizik Aliante Delta Saddle on my Giant Defy. As far as I know it has manganese rails. I have tightened it to 5Nm but it tends to slip back about 10mm.
    Should I increase the torque. How high could I go?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

rayman1 wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a Fizik Aliante Delta on my Giant Defy. As far as I know it has manganese rails. I have tightened it to 5Nm but it tends to slip back about 10mm.
    Should I increase the torque. What high could I go?

7N should be loads to hold it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

The Fizik FAQ (LINK) doesn’t mention manganese rails but has this for their carbon rails:
    The maximum torque we recommend for our carbon rails is 18N. However, if your seatpost supplier recommends a different torque then that becomes the limit to which you should use to mount the group seatpost/saddle.

18Nm is quite high, a reminder that recommended figures vary a lot between brands.

Fundamentally though, if your saddle is moving then it suggests that either it’s not tightened enough, the seat post is crap, or the seat post is incompatible with that saddle/those rails. It would be worth some online searching for reports of any known issues with that seat post, but in the era before the Internet and before torque wrenches became so cheap/readily available, you’d just have tightened it more, to a point that seemed reasonable, and see how it worked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭rayman1

@doozerie. I saw the Fizik FAQ but thought the 18Nm was very high.
    It's a Giant carbon seat post that came with the bike and Saddle.
    I will tighten it a bit more and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I have a Fizik saddle with manganese rails.
    I have a seat post, which has a recommended maximum torque of 15NM.
    I was a bit uneasy, about going so tight, but saddle slipped at anything less.
    I emailed seat post manufacturer, who assured me that their figure was good.
    I went to 15NM. Nothing broke. That was about 2 years ago. No problem since.

Advertisement