Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subletting Admin Charge

Options
  • 04-05-2018 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi Everyone,

I am in a fixed term agreement which goes from November 2017 to October 2018. I need to relocate abroad and sublet my flat.

Per my lease, I can sublet if the landlord approves. I have reached out to the letting agency used and they have informed me that subletting requires a €350.00 admin charge, which is non-refundable. Even if the subletter applicant is rejected, I would be out a huge chunk of change.

Is this common or even legal? It does say in my lease that charges would occur in the instance of requesting to sublet. However, I'm worried that if I keep submitting sublet applicants and they're rejected, I'd be out €350.00 each time.

Worst case scenario, I wouldn't find a sublet replacement. In this case for a fixed term lease, is the landlord/letting agency legally allowed to keep my deposit (€2,000)?

Reading through the lease, it seems I wouldn't be able to even end my fixed term lease early, but I also have read there is a clause that allows anyone to end a fixed term lease.

Thanks for the feedback/suggestions, this whole process has been tricky with the corrupt state of renting/property ownership in this country.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

moetowne09 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

I am in a fixed term agreement which goes from November 2017 to October 2018. I need to relocate abroad and sublet my flat.

Per my lease, I can sublet if the landlord approves. I have reached out to the letting agency used and they have informed me that subletting requires a €350.00 admin charge, which is non-refundable. Even if the subletter applicant is rejected, I would be out a huge chunk of change.

Is this common or even legal? It does say in my lease that charges would occur in the instance of requesting to sublet. However, I'm worried that if I keep submitting sublet applicants and they're rejected, I'd be out €350.00 each time.

Worst case scenario, I wouldn't find a sublet replacement. In this case for a fixed term lease, is the landlord/letting agency legally allowed to keep my deposit (€2,000)?

Reading through the lease, it seems I wouldn't be able to even end my fixed term lease early, but I also have read there is a clause that allows anyone to end a fixed term lease.

Thanks for the feedback/suggestions, this whole process has been tricky with the corrupt state of renting/property ownership in this country.
    Why don't you request to assign the lease?

Advertisement